[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Is it worth coming back after 2 years?

ManThighManThigh
Reactions: 850
edited October 2018 in General Chat
Hi, I started playing MapleStory around the time it merged into GMS. I don't think I've gotten too far due to being a fairly casual and not that knowledgeable player, maybe around lv80. I ultimately stopped playing the game around 2 years ago, because I got more into other ones.

Recently though, with some friends talking about MS2 (which I'm not that interested in), I thought of this game and wanted to check the forums out and see what's been up. I'd probably have to read through the changelog, but I doubt anything's changed for my level.

Mostly writing this thread to receive some answers/opinions from the community; is the game worth sinking some time into? How active is it compared to 2 years ago? Has there been any game-breaking update which massively increased/decreased the number and activity of players? Any personal opinions would be welcome as well..

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    I personally think the game is worth playing. I'm extremely involved in the story and love every time I get a quest which deals with the main plot.

However there are some glaring issues with the game that can't be denied.
    The population is extremely low, or it seems that way, because not many players are social outside of their own guilds.
    Many people complain about grind. Some claiming it is too hard, some saying that it is too easy. It seems like as far as grind goes it's either love hate or more hate.
    Some of the classes don't mob as well as others, so that could be a major factor.
    You most likely won't be able to find a party if you want one, since nobody really does that. (Bring your own friends into the game with you)
    Characters haven't really changed much, there have been some content removals that a lot of Reboot players weren't too happy about.

The game is a major time sink and you'll never really "be finished" with the game. There is always room for your character to grow.
    "End Game" is really just wherever you decide to stop after hitting 250. You can potentially hit 250 on 40 characters for max legion, for example.
    The level cap is soon to increase to 275, as well.

In the end, I think it's a great game to play provided you bring your own friends, or get into a social guild.
    If you're playing it solo, I hope you really like the story or the grind.
    YinYangXQaevi
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    I personally always end back at Maplestory no matter how many times/years I spend on break from it, mainly cause of extremely old/strong nostalgic factors.
    Like Fuhreak said, the game never "ends" until you decide it to, whether that be your first 250, 250 on all classes, going for complete end game gear (max pots + bstat) so there's always a goal you can aim towards. Compared to two years ago, think the population is still low (comparatively, iirc, it seems a bit less than how it was 2yrs ago), but if you find a group of active ppl, you don't really notice that (imo).
    If you're in Scania, feel free to buddy list me (Cygnus277).
    Invulgo
  • DtxDtx
    Reactions: 770
    edited October 2018
    -We got constantly multiple events running at same time
    -The grind never ends
    -We got updates

So yeah game is still fun
    YinYangXInvulgo
  • ManThighManThigh
    Reactions: 850
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the answers. Just one more question, how easy is it to find a guild as a "noob"? I remember randomly getting into a new-formed one with players of various levels when I last played, but that seemed to be more of a series of fortunate events than anything else, as I was like lv27. Just about any game is more enjoyable when there's some sort of company around, in my opinion at least, so the ease of finding any sort of guild might be the deciding factor here.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    ManThigh wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers. Just one more question, how easy is it to find a guild as a "noob"? I remember randomly getting into a new-formed one with players of various levels when I last played, but that seemed to be more of a series of fortunate events than anything else, as I was like lv27. Just about any game is more enjoyable when there's some sort of company around, in my opinion at least, so the ease of finding any sort of guild might be the deciding factor here.

If you are 150+ it should be incredibly easy. People recruit for them all the time.
    150 is easy to achieve now and can be done casually (a few hours each day) in less than a week.
    YinYangX
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018

Probably depends on how hardcore the guild is. If you check the guild member list through guild search (though guild member info is still semi-busted to reset rn, iirc) and it show only like +lvl220, then it's probably a bossing guild and wouldn't accept you. If there's a guild with middle/low levels here and there, it's probably more casual and easier to get in. Simplest case scenario, you should make a post on the Guild sections of the forums and some guild probably would be enthusiastic to pick you up.
  • ShokunKaYoShokunKaYo
    Reactions: 1,470
    edited October 2018
    Hi, I started playing MapleStory around the time it merged into GMS. I don't think I've gotten too far due to being a fairly casual and not that knowledgeable player, maybe around lv80. I ultimately stopped playing the game around 2 years ago, because I got more into other ones.

Recently though, with some friends talking about MS2 (which I'm not that interested in), I thought of this game and wanted to check the forums out and see what's been up. I'd probably have to read through the changelog, but I doubt anything's changed for my level.

Mostly writing this thread to receive some answers/opinions from the community; is the game worth sinking some time into? How active is it compared to 2 years ago? Has there been any game-breaking update which massively increased/decreased the number and activity of players? Any personal opinions would be welcome as well..

Thanks in advance!

Really depends on whether you've been saving a looooooot of money over the last 2 years. If not, it's not worth it. If yes, it still most likely wouldn't be worth it cause the game's bs RNG is just gonna shove fist up where the sun shines
  • LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    Reactions: 1,285
    edited October 2018
    As far as I played in a week, I am actually enjoying myself. They did some major improvements as far as I can see. I mean it still need some hacking tweaked less, but the events are fun. I am actually trying to strive for one of the events, but I am not good with pure dedication. XD
    YinYangX
  • Traveler5577Traveler5577
    Reactions: 1,995
    edited October 2018
    honestly i dont have a single toon in scania, that is lvl 200 T.T so ... yeah i am rock bottom compared to alot of other people here in maple.