[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

More Skills For Phantom to Skill Swipe

estalcil134estalcil134
Reactions: 600
edited October 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Everyone knows about phantom, yeah? How phantom can steal skills from explorers?
Why is is that phantoms can't steal from cygnus knights, or some of the other classes that have been around for a really long time?
Cygnus knights have been in the game longer than phantoms, yet phantoms can still only steal from explorers. (in fact, there are even less skills phantoms can steal now)
I'm not asking for something crazy like "let phantom steal kishin from kanna" or something. I just want to see a revamp to my favorite class by letting me have a ton of new skills to play around with. Phantoms only got a slight revamp when evan was completely reworked, aran was reworked, and lumi was converted to the KMS light/darkness gauge.
here's my suggestion: let phantoms steal from those it can currently and not steal from certain "specialty" weapons
this way, "specialty" classes can't be stolen from, like demons (barred bc DF and HP cost), hayato/kanna (special weapons + from another world), xenon (android, special weapon), etc.
basically, more classes to steal from. i doubt it would be hard to balance either, since phantom already has reduced dmg from stolen skills

either that, or a few more slots to save a few more skills
i would think after this many years, phantom would've found a way to improve himself ya know?

(on the subject of skill stealing, can we have the system thats implemented in Maplestory M: you can steal skills from the job instructor NPCs?)
  1. TLDR should phantoms be able to steal from more classes?10 votes
    1. Yes, more options!
       40% (4 votes)
    2. No, phantoms are completely fine with what they have now
       20% (2 votes)
    3. No, I'd prefer more slots for stolen skills
       20% (2 votes)
    4. ajvoiauehfa nerf phantom plz too op
       20% (2 votes)

Comments

• ACMBlackCipherACMBlackCipher
    Reactions: 1,690
    edited October 2018
    There is no reason for Phantoms to have access to more skills than they have now. Being able to steal non passive buffs and select attacks on top of having their own skills would make things too crowded and complicated for the class (mind you, there are 20+(?) skills Phantom can steal iirc).

Most other classes also have mechanics that their skills revolve around (combo, dragons, transformations, summons) that are necessary to make skills work. Working around these mechanics just for Phantom to steal not only takes some interest away from these classes, it's unfair to those classes to have another class that can just reap the benefits without learning how to play the class.

Pretty sure this topic has been brought up in the past, and my opinion remains the same: Phantom is a fun class and powerful to boot. Leave it alone.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited October 2018
    I would just want more slots for Impeccable Memory IV, 2 isn't enough when you want to steal decent mobbing/bossing attacks and buffs like final cut.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    Phantom is already a balancing nightmare. Whenever Nexon tries to tweak the balance of an Explorer class, they have to consider what that would do to Phantoms. Some of the weirdest changes to Explorers were only done because Phantom needed a nerf.
    I would not want all classes to be in the same position of having all their skills viewed through the lens of their effect on Phantom.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    I would just want more slots for Impeccable Memory IV, 2 isn't enough when you want to steal decent mobbing/bossing attacks and buffs like final cut.

Sure it'd be convenient, but you're not supposed to steal skills once in your lifetime and then essentially be done with your loadout. Prioritizing and stealing different skills when you need them is part of the class. 2 slots is fine for 4th job skills.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    SadVirgin wrote: »
    Sure it'd be convenient, but you're not supposed to steal skills once in your lifetime and then essentially be done with your loadout. Prioritizing and stealing different skills when you need them is part of the class. 2 slots is fine for 4th job skills.

While I agree with this, having to "shop" for skills can be extremely painful sometimes.
    I'm sure it's an absolute nightmare on low pop servers.
    I've seen plenty of the MVPs asking for F/P Mages for example.

Maybe a system where one skill from each job level is stealable from the job instructor each day.
    This would mean that they would still have to shop for skills, and it's much better just having the class you want to steal from to actually be next to you.
    SlicedTime
  • MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    As a Phantom main, the one thing I can say I'm truly disappointed in is that we don't have Impeccable Memory V - being able to steal a 5th job skill is definitely something that should have been added as one of their skills and would have fit in quite nicely with the flavour and feel of playing Phantom.
  • EXdestEXdest
    Reactions: 1,375
    edited October 2018
    I'd like to have more slots to store since it's so hard to find certain(unpopular) classes to steal, and I also wish some of his skills turn into passive such as Priere d'Aria. If nexon is going to buff him, it should be done not by giving him more skills to steal but by increasing the damage of Mile Aiguilles.

Phantom is indeed a balancing nightmare, but you better understand that those stolen skills are weaker than the originals and that is exactly why phantom is kind of half-assed and weak. Many classes do have passive buff that increase their STR/DEX/INT/LUK/ATT/MATT at 2nd but phantom doesn't. He instead has Impeccable Memory Ⅱ to steal which cannot take passive buffs but weaker active buffs with such limited choice. Attacking skills below IV are out of questions.
  • UserRedUserRed
    Reactions: 1,590
    edited October 2018
    Mira wrote: »
    As a Phantom main, the one thing I can say I'm truly disappointed in is that we don't have Impeccable Memory V - being able to steal a 5th job skill is definitely something that should have been added as one of their skills and would have fit in quite nicely with the flavour and feel of playing Phantom.

Phantom would most likely instantly become one of the best classes in the game, being able to steal BGHC, Spread Shot, Benediction, or basically any 5th job skill on top of theirs. Some wouldn't work, either, such as Spread Throw or Beholder Impact.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    EXdest wrote: »
    Many classes do have passive buff that increase their STR/DEX/INT/LUK/ATT/MATT at 2nd but phantom doesn't. He instead has Impeccable Memory Ⅱ to steal which cannot take passive buffs but weaker active buffs with such limited choice. Attacking skills below IV are out of questions.

Wrong. Phantoms do have Devil’s Luck in 2nd job, which at max level passively increases LUK by 60. And in 3rd job we have Lune (Clair de Lune, previously an active buff) which gives 40 ATT passively when maxed. Plus, I wouldn't call Rage a weak buff to steal for 2nd job.
    Attack skills below IV are often used for training at low levels, and efficient map coverage at higher levels for things like monster collection or regular farming/training. Yes, the efficiency depends on your level of funding and V-matrix, but that's the case for any class.
    In special content such as Spirit Savior you benefit immensely from using DB's 3rd job skill Blade Ascension, which is both a movement and attack skill.