[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.234 Destiny: Homecoming Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Ban Data from 11/01/2018 ~ 11/07/2018

ArwooArwoo
Reactions: 17,755
Posts: 498
Member
edited November 2018 in Announcements
Greetings Maplers,

In our ongoing effort to give more transparency, we are bringing back banned character name list.
You may recall that we used to share our weekly number of bans with the community in the past. However, from the feedback we saw, it was clear that the community wished not only to see the number of hackers banned, but their names as well.

To clarify, we have emphasized numerous times that reporting a hacker on the forum does not assist us in banning illegitimate players in-game. Those of us who moderate this platform aren't able to administer actions against hackers, nor can we investigate these claims. If you do find an illegitimate player in-game, please report them to our Customer Support who will then work with our investigations team.

Lastly, we are sharing this information with you all so that it is easier for those interested to verify if their specific reports on illegitimate players have been addressed. We'll be sharing this information with you all every Friday moving forward in our efforts to give you further transparency into our actions we've taken against hackers.

Ban Data from 11/01/2018 ~ 11/07/2018

Ban reason: Advertising
Number of characters banned: 481
Number of accounts banned: 475

Ban reason: Hacking/Botting
Number of characters banned: 35,893
Number of accounts banned: 18,858

Ban reason: Misconduct
Number of characters banned: 41
Number of accounts banned: 1

Full list of banned characters: http://maplestory.nexon.net/micro-site/38463

Thank you!
ArgentSam016HHG1chaoscauserSlicedTimeiLiMiTaDocarmenpop22

Comments

  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    Posts: 498
    Member
    edited November 2018
    [Reserved]
  • ArgentArgent
    Reactions: 2,950
    Posts: 270
    Member
    edited November 2018
    As Nexon knows, one of the issues with trying to report hackers is that they have the ability to nearly instantly change channels, enter the cash shop, or quit the game. This can make it very difficult to grab their name to report in-game or through customer support. It would be handy if when using the report feature, the name of the last player, other than yourself, was saved. This would help mitigate some of their ability to evade player detection.
    Sam016DFDFDMinuchaoscausercarmenpop22
  • Sam016Sam016
    Reactions: 1,780
    Posts: 57
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Thank you for the huge list, looking forward to future ones

    Along with the above comment, is it possible for us to report more than 10 players a day?
  • ParvitzParvitz
    Reactions: 200
    Post: 1
    Member
    Nice list but I know there are a decent number of falsely-banned accounts on this list. Are we going to comment on this?
  • ElaieElaie
    Reactions: 585
    Posts: 27
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Parvitz wrote: »
    Nice list but I know there are a decent number of falsely-banned accounts on this list. Are we going to comment on this?

    Odds are, they weren't falsely banned. My apologies if you know any of them personally, but they're likely lying to you.
  • NajesticNajestic
    Reactions: 610
    Posts: 4
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Freed wrote: »
    Parvitz wrote: »
    Nice list but I know there are a decent number of falsely-banned accounts on this list. Are we going to comment on this?

    Odds are, they weren't falsely banned. My apologies if you know any of them personally, but they're likely lying to you.

    False bans happen often enough to doubt the ban system.
  • lodwyvernlodwyvern
    Reactions: 1,960
    Posts: 34
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Freed wrote: »
    Parvitz wrote: »
    Nice list but I know there are a decent number of falsely-banned accounts on this list. Are we going to comment on this?

    Odds are, they weren't falsely banned. My apologies if you know any of them personally, but they're likely lying to you.

    When someone on this list’s ban reason was a GM witnessed them using full map attack hacks as a mechanic on Cavern Lower Path in Reboot I really begin to doubt the legitimacy of at least some of these bans. Some of the GMs who have the authority to ban players have exactly no idea how the game works or how different classes interact with the game environment
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Posts: 780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Good stuff. Just wondering if you could separate the igns listed by EU and NA regions since they are from separate pools and it creates confusion.
  • L4d2jpnL4d2jpn
    Reactions: 1,860
    Posts: 199
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    False positives happen sure but after a recent Reddit post that got deleted from someone who pleaded not guilty after openly admitting they were hacking on an alternate site, I sincerely doubt that a large majority of people that get banned are innocent.
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    Posts: 498
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Argent wrote: »
    As Nexon knows, one of the issues with trying to report hackers is that they have the ability to nearly instantly change channels, enter the cash shop, or quit the game. This can make it very difficult to grab their name to report in-game or through customer support. It would be handy if when using the report feature, the name of the last player, other than yourself, was saved. This would help mitigate some of their ability to evade player detection.

    Thanks for the suggestion! Perhaps it can be done, for now we will ask if we can have this feature.

    I also see comments that it would be helpful if names could be divided by region.
    We'll see if this can be done for the next list.
    ArgentHHG1chaoscausercarmenpop22
  • 26002600
    Reactions: 735
    Posts: 93
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Parvitz wrote: »
    Nice list but I know there are a decent number of falsely-banned accounts on this list. Are we going to comment on this?

    Name at least 1 IGN in that list that was wrongfully banned.
    So, many claim they were falsely banned, when in reality they were banned, for things, like Buying NX / Selling things for real world money, ACCOUNT SHARING
    You know how many people I've heard talk on Discord about some one letting some one use their account A LOT.

    People forget what they do fail to realize that their account was under investigation for a while.
    So, people break the TOS every day, sadly they don't have time to check every one's logs, and trust me they collect data on every one in-game and have for many years, their is logs of every thing you were doing in-game their is what I call a abnormal log that they check that can tell that your Character is using Godmode as well as other things that are ''abnormal" they need a reason to view your account to know if you're using some kinda "Hacks".

    I've said this for years, I think the easiest fix to game hacks, is a Checksum, within the Game Memory, if for any reason the checksum doesn't match the size of the game will not work, the only way that you could trigger that would be a change in the game binary wouldn't be hard to do, because you'd need to alter the game memory to trigger the game to crash.

    These are the reasons why a lot of websites now give a Checksum hash it's to compare the file to know that the file you're downloading hasn't been tampered with when you check the Checksum.

    There is no way around a Checksum that I can think of if checksum is is add to the game the minute any thing is injected into the game it would stop the game from loading, best way would be have server check game as the game is getting ready to load.

    I think the sad reason why it fails to work with the anti cheat system is because they're bypassing the anti-cheat system, you can't bypass a checksum.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,530
    Posts: 2,131
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 2018
    2600 wrote: »
    These are the reasons why a lot of websites now give a Checksum hash it's to compare the file to know that the file you're downloading hasn't been tampered with when you check the Checksum.

    Checksums are used to validate file integrity during a download, not authenticity. For example, if you wish to transmit the following message:
    The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
    And you used Unix's cksum operation, the result would be:
    2382472371 44
    But if the message was changed to be:
    The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy doq
    The checksum would be:
    2539161553 44
    (Values taken directly from my school's Unix server)
    If the value is different, this means there was an error. Depending on the implementation of the program, the error would either be resolved or the data would be resent entirely.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum

    Also, Maple hasn't had problems with client-side file editing for years. The primary issue currently is packet editing and injection.
    SlicedTimecarmenpop22
  • 26002600
    Reactions: 735
    Posts: 93
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Neospector wrote: »
    Also, Maple hasn't had problems with client-side file editing for years. The primary issue currently is packet editing and injection.

    If their is one thing I've learned about never try to argue your point with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

    What amazes me on how you went over to Wiki to check the information about a checksum and yet you still use the word, Hacker to describe some one who doesn't even know how to make their own programs or exploits on their own.

    You can use a checksum to check the integrity of a file without downloading it LMAO.

    I'll just close by saying you should do a bit of research kiddo! And not believe EVERY THING you read from one source mainly a site that can be edited by anyone, ANYTIME.

    Highly suggest the next time you, try to claim people who buy "VIP" are Hackers that you, refer to what a Script Kiddie, vs a Hacker.



  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,530
    Posts: 2,131
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 2018
    2600 wrote: »
    If their is one thing I've learned about never try to argue your point with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

    What amazes me on how you went over to Wiki to check the information about a checksum and yet you still use the word, Hacker to describe some one who doesn't even know how to make their own programs or exploits on their own.

    You can use a checksum to check the integrity of a file without downloading it LMAO.

    I'll just close by saying you should do a bit of research kiddo! And not believe EVERY THING you read from one source mainly a site that can be edited by anyone, ANYTIME.

    Highly suggest the next time you, try to claim people who buy "VIP" are Hackers that you, refer to what a Script Kiddie, vs a Hacker.

    If you don't want to trust Wikipedia, you can trust me: the guy with a degree in computer science.
    I'd like to think I'm at least slightly educated on the subject, considering I passed my class on networks and internet just last year.

    I assure you, checksum is used for error checking, not hack prevention. You also can, in fact, spoof a checksum fairly easily because, I'll say again, it's not a hack prevention method.

    But if you really, truly don't trust me for whatever reason, then try StackExchange instead:
    https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/82716/whats-to-stop-someone-from-just-mitming-a-checksum
    The answer is that the checksum is not primarily intended to address malicious tampering, but it is intended to discover data corruption.
  • zZokaF9zZokaF9
    Reactions: 200
    Post: 1
    Member
    edited November 2018

    I banned my account without doing anything in spirit savior in the npc of exit making the second entry to receive the reward and they tell me that I manipulate things but I did not do anything wrong it is a mistake and my account has almost everything in 22stars 93m buffed and They do not want to help me get it back they have to be aware that some people are being unjustly banned
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    Posts: 105
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Keep up giving out the ban data, if I recall correctly we had ban lists in EMS and it's nice to finally see them here too.
    2600 wrote: »
    Neospector wrote: »
    Also, Maple hasn't had problems with client-side file editing for years. The primary issue currently is packet editing and injection.

    If their is one thing I've learned about never try to argue your point with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

    What amazes me on how you went over to Wiki to check the information about a checksum and yet you still use the word, Hacker to describe some one who doesn't even know how to make their own programs or exploits on their own.

    You can use a checksum to check the integrity of a file without downloading it LMAO.

    I'll just close by saying you should do a bit of research kiddo! And not believe EVERY THING you read from one source mainly a site that can be edited by anyone, ANYTIME.

    Highly suggest the next time you, try to claim people who buy "VIP" are Hackers that you, refer to what a Script Kiddie, vs a Hacker.



    Calm down, buddy. Your reply isn't even addressing Neospector's comment. Though he might be a bit arrogant at times, I'm fairly certain that he's in the right here. I don't think file integrity is the issue here. Injections and package hacks don't really have anything to do with the game binaries as far as I know, but instead they fiddle with the game's memory or the packages it sends out. Now I'm not an expert on this topic, but making a checksum of the game's memory once a tick wouldn't really solve anything since there's an inconceivably large amount of different memory states that could occur in the game, and thus checksums. This makes verifying the authenticity of the checksum pretty damn hard since you'd need something to compare it to.
  • 26002600
    Reactions: 735
    Posts: 93
    Member
    edited November 2018
    It's OK little fella I wouldn't expect people who know NOTHING about, "Hacking" to know what is and what isn't.
    The reason you'd use a "Checksum" and to verify the integrity, of the games SIZE

    The minute ANYTHING is injected into a application the file size is altered, a simple check of any kinda injection into game memory would then terminate the game.
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    Posts: 105
    Member
    edited November 2018
    2600 wrote: »
    It's OK little fella I wouldn't expect people who know NOTHING about, "Hacking" to know what is and what isn't.
    The reason you'd use a "Checksum" and to verify the integrity, of the games SIZE

    The minute ANYTHING is injected into a application the file size is altered, a simple check of any kinda injection into game memory would then terminate the game.

    Sure, but could you explain how that would work to the uninitiated? Do we just check the game's heap size? Doesn't that change in different game states or when memory leaks happen?
  • MemlordMemlord
    Reactions: 315
    Posts: 2
    Member
    2600 wrote: »
    It's OK little fella I wouldn't expect people who know NOTHING about, "Hacking" to know what is and what isn't.
    The reason you'd use a "Checksum" and to verify the integrity, of the games SIZE

    The minute ANYTHING is injected into a application the file size is altered, a simple check of any kinda injection into game memory would then terminate the game.

    What SlicedTime was trying to say was that you'd need a checksum for literally every possible configuration of all memory states that get updated based on all possible configurations of memory in the game (Memory is non-static). Also I think you're confusing file sizes with memory storage, Memory is volatile storage which can be altered via different application states without altering the actual files themselves (hence why archived files can be run in-archive with the memory states not needing to update the file states), file 'size', storage or non-volatile memory I believe is what you're talking about with your checksum, this would not really help with hack prevention as injections into game/application memory does not necessarily alter the file sizes of the application.

    Another aside mentioned above is that different OSes and OS revisions use different memory allocation pointers and inherently produce different checksum results (as Neospecter said), essentially this means it would be incredibly difficult if not impossible to make a verification system based on Checksum which is sufficiently permissive to allow many people across different OS types, versions, and kernel revisions and to play the same game.

    Also please stop trying to belittle people rather than having a discussion, it really does your points no justice and makes you seem butthurt.
    SlicedTimecarmenpop22
  • MemlordMemlord
    Reactions: 315
    Posts: 2
    Member
    2600 wrote: »
    It's OK little fella I wouldn't expect people who know NOTHING about, "Hacking" to know what is and what isn't.
    The reason you'd use a "Checksum" and to verify the integrity, of the games SIZE

    The minute ANYTHING is injected into a application the file size is altered, a simple check of any kinda injection into game memory would then terminate the game.

    What SlicedTime was trying to say was that you'd need a checksum for literally every possible configuration of all memory states that get updated based on all possible configurations of memory in the game (Memory is non-static). Also I think you're confusing file sizes with memory storage, Memory is volatile storage which can be altered via different application states without altering the actual files themselves (hence why archived files can be run in-archive with the memory states not needing to update the file states), file 'size', storage or non-volatile memory I believe is what you're talking about with your checksum, this would not really help with hack prevention as injections into game/application memory does not necessarily alter the file sizes of the application.

    Another aside mentioned above is that different OSes and OS revisions use different memory allocation pointers and inherently produce different checksum results (as Neospecter said), essentially this means it would be incredibly difficult if not impossible to make a verification system based on Checksum which is sufficiently permissive to allow many people across different OS types, versions, and kernel revisions and to play the same game.

    Also please stop trying to belittle people rather than having a discussion, it really does your points no justice and makes you seem butthurt.