[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Will MapleStory be closed soon?

RayzYRayzY
Reactions: 1,070
edited November 2018 in General Chat
I know this question is very popular atm, but I like to ask it myself. there is the Black Mage which always seem "the end" of the game, also MapleStory 2 coming out...
Will Nexon shut down MapleStory? what do you think?

Comments

• LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    Reactions: 1,285
    edited November 2018
    Just a little heads up! You might get a hell of a talking to with this subject because I brought this up long time ago as a theory. However, you're going to hear some valid arguments.

However, in my end, the black mage is not going to be the final threat of maplestory. They are probably not going to shut it down. First, it was Zakum in my generation, then it was others for later generations. So, you just got to treat it like another event. There's going to be something more or something bigger later. If they really wanted to end maplestory 1 they wouldn't even put much work on it like other games I went to that are (actually) at the brink of shutting down. Games that are shutting down would stop doing events completely as well as updates til it kinda died as far as I witnessed games that actually shut down like pistory and other mmo games. They follow a common pattern.

To be honest, Maplestory started without any story. So, I don't see why a game that started like that would end just because the story ends. Maplestory is technically about making your own story. The Black Mage story will not make them stop making content.

So, be assured that lack of updates and events usually leads to the death of the game.
  • UksuUksu
    Reactions: 1,540
    edited November 2018
    Black Mage is not the "Final Boss".
    There is more content coming in future. [Events/Areas/Monsters/Dungeons/Bosses/Etc...]

MapleStory and MapleStory 2 are two different games. There is no reason to close MapleStory due MapleStory 2.
    After many MS2 CBT wipes I got bored. After MS 2 release I hardly even play it anymore.

Still playing MapleStory because it is better than MS2 in my opinion. I like MS style more.
    MapleStory will not close in near future as long as it has enough players. [GMS]
    darik
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Reactions: 2,160
    edited November 2018
    Your logic is painfully flawed
  • RayzYRayzY
    Reactions: 1,070
    edited November 2018
    DFDFD wrote: »

Got something to say? :|
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Maplestory is still, and has been for many years, among the top 10 most played games in Korea. Currently in the top 5, as far as I know.
    As long as that is so, Nexon Korea has no reason to want to shut it down. They'll keep putting out more new content. Right now they are focusing on Grandis and its evil Transcendent, Gerard Darmoor.
    FuhreakYinYangX
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Reactions: 2,160
    edited November 2018
    RayzY wrote: »

Yes that your logic is painfully flawed.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited November 2018
    RayzY wrote: »

The fact that maplestory 2 has a "2" after it does not make it a sequel, nor does it mean they're going to shut down one to focus on the other. Plus ms2 isn't doing so well over in Korea. Why on earth would they shut down what has been a wildly successful game in their home market for the past decade for one that is mostly played in foreign markets just because one has a "2" in the name?

So yes, your logic is horribly, painfully flawed, in that only a child or someone equally as unawares would come to the same conclusion.
  • SpuddySpuddy
    Reactions: 620
    edited November 2018
    Like Tiger said, Zakum was my generation as well, and everything follows a pattern. I mean I could go out on a limb and be like "Welp, Nexon makes money, so what the heck right?" but I feel like it's just the fact a lot of people have intrigue in each update. When I logged back on for the first time in years I got hit with an entire series of updates just like a book coming at you from across a library at a ridiculous speed. I won't doubt the fact it could happen again. Will Maplestory see it's end any time soon? Probably not.

I also wanna say another game that pulled the same questions and that was good ol' Runescape. It followed the same patterns, ad added more and more things to it, and it's older than Maplestory in general.

I play both games, but my whole answer to this is: There's more chapters to this game than what many people would think there was.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Aggraphine wrote: »

The fact that maplestory 2 has a "2" after it does not make it a sequel, nor does it mean they're going to shut down one to focus on the other.
    -snip-

A bit blunt. But basically that.
    I wish they had just called it "Maplestory [Insert Spinoff Name Here]" instead of attaching the number 2 to the game's name.
    It's just got some themes from Maplestory, that's all.
  • littledrummlittledrumm
    Reactions: 1,200
    edited March 2020
    guess what maplestory 2 is shutting down..... but why?
    i played maplestory 2, but why are they shutting it down?
  • SanpaiSanpai
    Reactions: 260

Because they ruined it. RNG for everything and people got fed up. There's a limit on rng and when your entire game is around rng....kinda killing itself.
    JettLuvsUdarik
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2020
    MapleStory 2 was already shut down in Korea. A global MS2 was an attempt to see if it would work in the western market.
    It clearly wasn't successful enough for them to deem it worth continuing development. A sad fate for a game that had some good potential.
    darik
  • coolflamoscoolflamos
    Reactions: 1,015
    edited March 2020
    Sanpai wrote: »

Because they ruined it. RNG for everything and people got fed up. There's a limit on rng and when your entire game is around rng....kinda killing itself.

when your entire game is around rng, where have i heard that before, ms1 has absolutely no rng to it/s

the downfall of ms2 was lack of marketing, most of nexons new games downfall is mostly due to a lack of marketing and not really because of the game itself, sure you can say this or that about a game, but without a big community at the start, it can put people off from playing because they feel the game is empty, one example is ghost in the shell game, which, IMO, was actually an incredible game, there's no real big meta to that as everyone customized their own loadout, it stands out way better than games like overwatch imo, just, marketing was really terrible, among australia, there was basically a handful of players, and in other regions it had 50 players at peak hrs, and that was around launch, comparing it to a game like r6 siege, it's actually pretty similar with the ability for loadouts, the difference is the lack of large number of players, especially at launch, which meant people abandoned it when they were basically in an echo chamber of players

as AK said, there's no reason to close ms1, because it has an incredibly strong standing with the number of players, it can feel empty to new and returning players because the noob areas are empty, which means nexon is kinda shooting themselves in the foot by not attempting to rectify that, but outside of that, maple still has a really strong player base of long time palyers, although, another big toxic event could rapidly kill off large numbers from it which could spell its doom*cough*discovery arena*cough*
This discussion has been closed.