[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Elite bosses

FablerBjornFablerBjorn
Reactions: 200
in General Chat
Did anything change with elite bosses since the update?
I havent seen the yellow "xxx elite has appeared in yyy map" thing anymore, and no more elite boss icons on the world map.
I've been hunting in the same map for a while and it's always grim.
am I missing something or am I just impatient?

Comments

• LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    Reactions: 1,285
    edited November 2018
    Hi Fabler! Here's a couple of questions I would like to ask you about your elite boss hunting:
    1) Did you defeat 20- 25 elite monsters in the same map?
    2) Are the monsters on the map within 20 levels below and above your level? For example, if you level up and you end up 21 levels below or more. No matter how long you fight on the map... even if you probably defeated 19 on the same map, no more elite monsters will spawn for you. Your kills will no longer count unless someone else comes in within that level limit kills an elite monster. Took me a while to figure that out one day. Wasted a lot of time. Best strategy is to make sure you train on maps at your level or higher within the 20 levels. Especially, if you are a burn character.
    3) Are you on a restricted map? There are some maps that don't spawn elite monsters and/or elite bosses. Chronius is the one that taught me that. You should ask him about certain maps that don't spawn them.
    4) We're you fighting close to map reset time? There is a time that the map resets on maplestory. I heard sometimes it has no effect, but if it does, your progress will be back to 0 kills of elite monsters on that map.
  • GeminiaGeminia
    Reactions: 2,370
    edited November 2018
    Grinding for elites is slower now because the Haste event is over.
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Geminia wrote: »

^This.

Also, I saw a few eboss message in Arcane River earlier today (Nov. 15) so pretty sure they're still around, though I think I noticed something slightly different about the message (either the repeated notification or the one that let's us know it's eliminated).
    Hi Fabler!
    1) Did you defeat 20- 25 elite monsters in the same map?
    2) Are the monsters on the map within 20 levels below and above your level? For example, if you level up and you end up 21 levels below or more. No matter how long you fight on the map... even if you probably defeated 19 on the same map, no more elite monsters will spawn for you. Your kills will no longer count unless someone else comes in within that level limit kills an elite monster. Took me a while to figure that out one day. Wasted a lot of time. Best strategy is to make sure you train on maps at your level or higher within the 20 levels. Especially, if you are a burn character.
    3) Are you on a restricted map? There are some maps that don't spawn elite monsters and/or elite bosses. Chronius is the one that taught me that. You should ask him about certain maps that don't spawn them.
    4) We're you fighting close to map reset time? There is a time that the map resets on maplestory. I heard sometimes it has no effect, but if it does, your progress will be back to 0 kills of elite monsters on that map.

1. It's always just 20, you will never have to kill more than 20 emobs on one map for an eboss to spawn, maybe less if it's been on, but never more. (EDIT: Albeit if you use a Rune of Darkness, then yes, you would end up killing more than the required 20.)
    2. He said he's getting the grim messages, meaning he's been summoning emobs, and last I recall, you can only summon emobs in your level range or with Rune of Darkness.
    4. Maplestory maps don't have a "reset" time. What you're trying to refer to is when all maps get reset during/after maintenance/patch.
    edited November 2018
    YinYangX wrote: »
    Geminia wrote: »

1. It's always just 20, you will never have to kill more than 20 emobs on one map for an eboss to spawn, maybe less if it's been on, but never more. (EDIT: Albeit if you use a Rune of Darkness, then yes, you would end up killing more than the required 20.)
    2. He said he's getting the grim messages, meaning he's been summoning emobs, and last I recall, you can only summon emobs in your level range or with Rune of Darkness.
    4. Maplestory maps don't have a "reset" time. What you're trying to refer to is when all maps get reset during/after maintenance/patch.

1. I knew it! Darkness always count for one. I was wondering why? I had a map that spawned more than one of those in a theme dungeon that's like a theme park. I knew I killed 6 and they counted as 2. So, I never knew if the 20 was really true because of that. Good to know.
    2. Yeah, but there was a time I went out of that level range by accident (or leveled up to fast or using the coupons which I later trashed). Hmmm... you said I can wait for the rune of darkness. I'll keep that in mind next time that happens
    4. This was something I kinda read about and didn't get about the reset. They didn't mention about any details, just said at a time the map will reset the count itself. Well, thanks for clarifying and the useful info.

Bye XD *Escapes with Yin's Data*

Edit: Hold the phone! I thought the runes also follow that L20/20 rule as well...
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Also, I saw a few eboss message in Arcane River earlier today (Nov. 15) so pretty sure they're still around, though I think I noticed something slightly different about the message (either the repeated notification or the one that let's us know it's eliminated).

Not sure if I'm just remembering wrong/just noticed, but the differences I "noticed" was (maybe) for the repeated notification, it now says "The Black Mage's [Elite Boss] has appeared ........" and for the defeated message (pretty sure this one is new) "Appearing in [map] has been saved ......" (Can't remember the exact format, but the point is first one has "Black Mage's" and second has "Appearing" now.)

1. I knew it! Darkness always count for one. I was wondering why? I had a map that spawned more than one of those in a theme dungeon that's like a theme park. I knew I killed 6 and they counted as 2. So, I never knew if the 20 was really true because of that. Good to know.
    2. Yeah, but there was a time I went out of that level range by accident (or leveled up to fast or using the coupons which I later trashed). Hmmm... you said I can wait for the rune of darkness. I'll keep that in mind next time that happens
    4. This was something I kinda read about and didn't get about the reset. They didn't mention about any details, just said at a time the map will reset the count itself. Well, thanks for clarifying and the useful info.

Bye XD *Escapes with Yin's Data*

Edit: Hold the phone! I thought the runes also follow that L20/20 rule as well...

1. They used a while back but pretty sure it was changed so that now they don't even count for one (best way to test this is end up with a Rune of Darkness on a dark map and see that you still need four "normal" emobs before eboss).
    2. True, but at that point you would (supposedly) stop spawning emobs, which would make the op's problem "emobs are not spawning" vs "eboss is not spawning/only grim messages". About the runes part, I'm a bit more iffy on. Normally, runes are supposed to only when you are fighting monsters in your level range but I've seen runes pop up when I'm on lower maps sometimes, so yes, you could try getting emobs by trying to summon a Rune of Darkness (though I don't know how long that would take [vs the short time it normally takes runes for spawn in level range outside of rune cd]).
    4. Hmm, maybe that's true? But don't think it's likely or at least not within a 3-4day time frame. I know for sure I've left a map dark and came back +24hrs and it was still dark and another instance where it was close to +72hrs.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    -snip-
    -snip-

Just want to point out this is actually wrong. You can still summon emobs on maps outside your level range, but the chance is extremely low.
    Source: Monster Collection farming
    YinYangX
  • DeadlingDeadling
    Reactions: 730
    edited November 2018
    Are E Bosses the giant versions of whatever spawns in your map? Like a huge Advanced Knight D for example? I I don't know about killing twenty to make those spawn. I'm pretty sure I kill more than twenty before one of those spawns for me. And sometimes a rune will make two or 3 spawn at once. And with current event and storyline it will cause the resistance to spawn and help me out for a bit when I defeat it.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Deadling wrote: »
    Are E Bosses the giant versions of whatever spawns in your map? Like a huge Advanced Knight D for example? I I don't know about killing twenty to make those spawn. I'm pretty sure I kill more than twenty before one of those spawns for me. And sometimes a rune will make two or 3 spawn at once. And with current event and storyline it will cause the resistance to spawn and help me out for a bit when I defeat it.

Correct.
    You have to kill 20 on the same map. The first 16 will say something along the lines of "The Darkness is still here, it's making the place grim."
    Where as the final 4 will say "You feel something in the darkness..." or something like that.

After killing 20 on the same map & same channel, an elite boss will spawn.
    Each map counts the elite bosses independent of each other.
    Other players kills count towards the spawn, and it doesn't lower when you leave the map.
    This is why sometimes you'll get an eboss after just entering a map, or sometimes not get one even after 1+ hour of grind.
  • DeadlingDeadling
    edited November 2018
    Did they make them stronger with this patch? my I/L had no issues with the knights until after the latest update. He actually died to a few of the NW knight elites, lol. Perm safety charm ftw I guess.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Did they make them stronger with this patch? my I/L had no issues with the knights until after the latest update. He actually died to a few of the NW knight elites, lol. Perm safety charm ftw I guess.

They made them stronger last patch season (back in summer), I don't think they touched them for this one.
    I could be wrong. But they seem the same to me.
  • DeadlingDeadling
    edited November 2018
    Maybe I just hadn't taken that certain just right hit from em, eh. I'm still trying to get back into the swing of what I should and shouldn't be doing. Basically a noob again, lol.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Maybe I just hadn't taken that certain just right hit from em, eh. I'm still trying to get back into the swing of what I should and shouldn't be doing. Basically a noob again, lol.

Watch out for the chains. If you're going to get hit by them, just get hit by one (And ONLY one) of them.
    I've made the mistake of trying to teleport out of one, only to be hit by it, and another one I teleport into and die way too many times.
    There's no i-frames after getting hit by one, so if you stand on top of two, you will get hit by both of them.
    Same in the scenario mentioned above.
    It's easy to kill yourself to them.

I actually killed my level 220+ in Lab server by flash jumping through them... That one stung.
    YinYangX
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Fuhreak wrote: »

Correct.
    You have to kill 20 on the same map. The first 16 will say something along the lines of "The Darkness is still here, it's making the place grim."
    Where as the final 4 will say "You feel something in the darkness..." or something like that.

After killing 20 on the same map & same channel, an elite boss will spawn.
    Each map counts the elite bosses independent of each other.
    Other players kills count towards the spawn, and it doesn't lower when you leave the map.
    This is why sometimes you'll get an eboss after just entering a map, or sometimes not get one even after 1+ hour of grind.

Er, no, what Deadling's talking about are elite mobs. Elite bosses are the black bosses that spawn after you kill 20 elite mobs.
    Fuhreak
  • DeadlingDeadling
    edited November 2018
    So I have to grind for over an hour to get one of these elite bosses? None of them have ever been black, just normal looking, but 2x as big.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018

Er, no, what Deadling's talking about are elite mobs. Elite bosses are the black bosses that spawn after you kill 20 elite mobs.

Ah. I completely misread his post and thought he was talking about the Knight type of elite bosses.
    So I have to grind for over an hour to get one of these elite bosses? None of them have ever been black, just normal looking, but 2x as big.

Elite Bosses spawn once 20 Elite Mobs have been killed, as I mentioned in the post above.
    There's a delay between Emob spawns (I think it's 5 minutes) after one spawns, so it could take over an hour, yes.
    You'll know you're close when you get the "feel something in the darkness" message.

As for the emobs themselves, there isn't a set number of mobs you have to kill, but rather a very low % chance when they're not on cooldown for spawning.
    Higher level players kill mobs in greater number, so the elite mobs/bosses are designed for those people.
    Don't let that discourage you from fighting them though, they're worth insane EXP and a good way to get a boost if you can kill them fast.

When you see an elite mob it'll have a sword over it's head. From weakest to strongest: Yellow > Orange > Red.
    The stronger it is the more HP/DEF/ATK it'll have, but the more exp it'll give.
    This might be why you felt you were having trouble with them.

Edit: This is what the elite bosses look like.
    WeekendBossRaid.png
    YinYangX
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018

Like Fuhreak said, there's a ~5m cd between when emobs can spawn, so if you're on a fresh map (emob count = 0) it'd take you close to 2hrs (5*20 = 100m). Or if you're extremely lucky, you can randomly walk into a map with emob count = 20 and the get an eboss in the next 5m.
  • DeadlingDeadling
    edited November 2018
    Ah ok. Good to know. I'm an i/l mage, so I mob quick. New goal now to get an elite.
  • HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited November 2018
    Yeah I haven't seen an elite boss yet.
    I was either levelling too fast to remain in the map long enough to get to 20, or I was switching channel whenever a red tier one spawned after they become too dangerous to fight.

So whenever I see an event expecting me to defeat one, I just shrug and note that that event as not going to get anywhere for me.
    edited November 2018
    HousePet wrote: »
    Yeah I haven't seen an elite boss yet.
    I was either levelling too fast to remain in the map long enough to get to 20, or I was switching channel whenever a red tier one spawned after they become too dangerous to fight.

So whenever I see an event expecting me to defeat one, I just shrug and note that that event as not going to get anywhere for me.

I wouldn't say that. One day, you might sit in your chair and say, "I want my butt handed to me on a silver platter today." And start elite boss hunting. I do it once and a while. It's actually fun when you have other people pitch in. Now, I do have to agree with someone that they show up less than before. I've been playing on the same map most of the day, and I hadn't seen one yet. But, I still desire my butt on a silver platter, so I keep going. XD
    FuhreakYinYangX
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    ^Think most people are just having eboss lag from ebosses spawning left, right, and center during the Hasty event. Not sure about the other worlds/servers, but Scania is still having a decent amount of ebosses spawning (albeit, no where as much as during Hasty, but still noticeable amount).