[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Chain Arts: Void Strike massive lag

Icewave21Icewave21
Reactions: 1,450
edited March 2018 in Bug Reporting
More details:
Bug is not isolated to my computer. Every single Cadena that I've talked to reports that the skill causes their game to lag. Anyone other than the Cadena does not seem to be affected. Attacking while the skill is active has no effect on whether or not the skill causes lag. Problem seems to be caused by the skill effects that affect the background (either grayscale or the new background image). Was not reported sooner because I was not active the past couple months.
Steps to reproduce:
  1. Cast Chain Arts: Void Strike
  2. Do nothing and immediately get extremely low fps and extremely high latency
  3. Game becomes unplayable

Character name: IntoSomnium

Character level: 215

Character job: Cadena

World name: Broa

Date and time of the incident: v.190 – Nova: Liberation of Cadena (Cadena release date)

Comments

• MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2018
    Can confirm this - just did Dojo on my Cadena last night, massive lag. Trying to kill mobs in Arcane River, massive lag. I do believe it's the change to the background that causes the lag. The same thing happens when I'm in the first and last map of the Gollux maze, or any of the quests that turn the background into the hazy black/white filter.
  • Icewave21Icewave21
    edited April 2018
    Bump

Skill still causes very noticeable lag, it's often better to not use the skill
    All areas lag on cast and on the first hit of Chain Arts: Void Strike
    The extreme lag areas also makes my mouse (only ingame) lag and unpredictable

Areas that have extreme (literally) unplayable lag (including the towns): Root Abyss, Vanishing Journey, Chu Chu Island, and Lachelein.

Areas that caused some noticeable lag: Everywhere else.
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    Can confirm this too.
    I have pretty strong graphics card but the moment i use the skill the same symptoms happen as you mentioned.
  • Zaros_RunaZaros_Runa
    Reactions: 1,150
    This first happened to me with the hyper skill from my night walker and also on my cadena (this also happens on the first map of the labyrinth before gollux) it has something to do with very poorly optimized backgrounds. I sent a ticket some time ago and nothing was fixed. To this day both my cadena and my night walker remain abandoned.
    PD: Zero's 5th job skill also changes the background but that one gives me NO lag (thankfully).
  • Nero_rulesNero_rules
    Reactions: 310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2018
    Can also confirm
    void strike causes massive lag
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Hello. Would you be able to provide a video displaying the issue? Possibly including a Task Manager view of the CPU/RAM usage up to, during, and after usage of the skill in sync with the issue?
    bumbertyr
  • Icewave21Icewave21
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for responding.

Two videos on YouTube because I don't know where you want me to post videos.

Void Strike lag 1 [No Sound]

Void Strike lag 2

Recording of the problem is much more severe than actual gameplay.
    Issue seems to extended to the whole system. My mouse (outside of game) and OBS lagged for the duration of Void Strike.

CPU drops during both recordings and again when not recording.
    bumbertyr
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited May 2018
    If you could forward a DxDiag report via Private Message, should be very helpful in investigating this matter.
  • Icewave21Icewave21
    edited July 2018
    Still a problem. I've heard nothing but silence about this problem. Not a worthless bump but a bump nonetheless.

Got a Night Walker to 5th job. Did some more tests with it and got the same results as my Cadena.

First of all I want to say that I did all of these tests after a full shutdown of my computer. All the tests were done at the same time (i.e. within 30 minutes of each other) and on the same channel.

Recordings:
    The two emboldened points above further support my idea that the background image is causing the lag. I just ask that you at least please look into it.

Also updating my list on where the intense lag happens:

All Arcane Power areas. Once again all other areas lag initially when casting both skills and again on the first hit of Chain Arts: Void Strike. I did test Star Force areas and they're no different than non-Arcane Power areas (lag is manageable). I can't test it everywhere because it has a pretty long cooldown.

Oddly enough, Arcana - Grove of the Spirit Tree, Specifically the version after the storyline, does not have intense lag like all other Arcane River areas.
  • LotusBlack97LotusBlack97
    Reactions: 405
    edited July 2018
    Every Cadena i know have this problem too, i too have this problem...
  • Icewave21Icewave21
    edited December 2018
    Hey, I just want to let you know that the skill is still completely unusable in Arcane Power areas. I have completely given up on using the skill during my training sessions in the Arcane River. The only time I use the skill for is mobbing at Scrapyard and Dark World Tree when I'm doing dailies. The skill works perfectly fine in the boss arenas of Lotus and Damien because they are not in Arcane Power areas.

The problem comes from the fact that Lucid and Will are bosses that require a minimum amount of Arcane Power to deal full damage to. I used the skill in Lucid and I lagged out.

Could we please do something about this issue? I have already supplied video evidence of what happens during the skill duration and the lag effects my whole computer.
    MapleGal
  • MapleGalMapleGal
    Reactions: 300
    edited December 2018
    Icewave21 wrote: »
    Hey, I just want to let you know that the skill is still completely unusable in Arcane Power areas. I have completely given up on using the skill during my training sessions in the Arcane River. The only time I use the skill for is mobbing at Scrapyard and Dark World Tree when I'm doing dailies. The skill works perfectly fine in the boss arenas of Lotus and Damien because they are not in Arcane Power areas.

The problem comes from the fact that Lucid and Will are bosses that require a minimum amount of Arcane Power to deal full damage to. I used the skill in Lucid and I lagged out.

Could we please do something about this issue? I have already supplied video evidence of what happens during the skill duration and the lag effects my whole computer.

i second\third and however many i can count that. im in love with the skill but its unusable. i switch it off willingly because i cant bear it. It's the worst for actually in lach dailies inside the "party" quest
  • MaxXIIIMaxXIII
    Reactions: 600
    edited January 2019
    Also having this problem. Please fix this it seems like a major bug and the fact that its still an issue...

Ign: UnguiIty

Server: Bera

I have a good computer with a high quality graphics card and its only this game that lags using this particular skill. Seems unbalanced to the point where other classes have full access to their abilities but cadena is unable to use a skill due to the game developers inability to solve a simple problem... This company makes a ton of revenue and are unable to fix this bug even after months of cadena being out.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    MaxXIII wrote: »
    Also having this problem. Please fix this it seems like a major bug and the fact that its still an issue...

Ign: UnguiIty

Server: Bera

I have a good computer with a high quality graphics card and its only this game that lags using this particular skill. Seems unbalanced to the point where other classes have full access to their abilities but cadena is unable to use a skill due to the game developers inability to solve a simple problem... This company makes a ton of revenue and are unable to fix this bug even after months of cadena being out.

I don't intend to discount the issues you're all having, but if it's a "simple problem" as you call it, why haven't you sorted out what the root cause is, and how best to fix it without breaking anything else in the procress?
  • NamAnh38NamAnh38
    Reactions: 200
    As a Night Walker, i also experience the problem as IceWave21 said. It's very unwise to let a unrelevant effect of a skill affect negatively to the gameplay of a class. I hope you guys look in to this and fix it soon. Thanks.
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited January 2019
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that the lag caused by background changing skills such as Dominion and Void Strike is still being looked into. I apologize for the delay and any inconvenience this may be causing you.

Thanks for the report!
    NamAnh38ymiTIcewave21
  • ChainLagChainLag
    Reactions: 100
    Hi guys, why is this bug still on cadena for an entire whole year after the moderator said this will be look into?