[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Disabling Windows Key

MorningAfterSevenMorningAfterSeven
Reactions: 1,125
edited February 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Hello Maplers, I'm looking for a way to disable Windows Key while mapling, because it's caused me a lot of deaths and fails in the last years (in JQ or PQ or in big mobs or bosses, doesn't matter) every time I pushed it by mistake.
Have you found a solution?
I've been googling about and the program AutoHotKey came by as a good choice, but I'm not sure Maple wouldn't see it as a cheating application, so I'm asking you:
is it allowed? Is there any other solution? Have you fixed the problem in some other way?
Thanks.

Comments

• SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited February 2019
    AHK supposedly caused a lot of bans some time ago, so I wouldn't recommend using that. Some keyboards come with a dedicated "Gaming"-mode which disables windows keys, check if your keyboard has one of those. This is also the case with some laptops.

Another way to do it is to edit Windows Registry or create a Windows Group Policy (if you for some reason are using an Enterprise version of Windows), and so far those look like the most acceptable methods. However, there are a lot of things you can break by fiddling with those, so approach with caution and back up your registry or group policy settings.
    YinYangX
  • MorningAfterSevenMorningAfterSeven
    Reactions: 1,125
    edited February 2019
    SlicedTime wrote: »
    AHK supposedly caused a lot of bans some time ago, so I wouldn't recommend using that. Some keyboards come with a dedicated "Gaming"-mode which disables windows keys, check if your keyboard has one of those. This is also the case with some laptops.

Another way to do it is to edit Windows Registry or create a Windows Group Policy (if you for some reason are using an Enterprise version of Windows), and so far those look like the most acceptable methods. However, there are a lot of things you can break by fiddling with those, so approach with caution and back up your registry or group policy settings.

A friend of mine suggested to literally "remove WinKey from the keyboard" of my laptop, which would be safer than putting my hands on the registry :/
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited February 2019
    SlicedTime wrote: »

A friend of mine suggested to literally "remove WinKey from the keyboard" of my laptop, which would be safer than putting my hands on the registry :/

If the keycaps come of off the laptop easy enough, removing the cap from the Windows Key might be a solid way to alleviate the issue. Be careful though, as far as I know laptop keycaps and stems can be quite flimsy and look like they can be damaged easily.

There are some quite comprehensive guides for disabling the key via registry editing, and I'd recommend taking a look into them. For example, https://www.howtogeek.com/282080/how-to-disable-the-built-in-windows-key-shortcuts/

There seems to be a bunch of third-party programmes available for disabling Windows keys as well. One example I've found is WinKey Killer, but I have no clue about how legit it is. However, I think your best bet is asking a mod on GMS's Discord if using AHK is still bannable.
    MorningAfterSeven