[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Slow leveling progression, how do ppl do this..

MigiSouthpawMigiSouthpaw
Reactions: 1,000
edited February 2019 in General Chat
I am on 6x and got about 50% in 5 hours

This is only at 230 and the exp required literally doubled between 229 and 230

Just imagine with no exp boosters in those 5 hours..

Am I doing something wrong here or is this what it be like

Comments

• HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited February 2019
    Its a deliberate move by many MMOs to make it really hard to reach the level cap. They seem to be terrified that people will reach max level on one character and then quit the game, despite this particular game containing over 40 different classes to play... And then there is the usual challenge bosses, that are still hard at max level, and equipment progression... Its all very odd.

I have no idea how people have the patience to put up with content hidden behind grind walls. I doubt I'll see anything past Vanishing Journey.

At some later date when more content is added, the exp curve will likely be adjusted again to make it so that you can reasonably get to level 250, but you will then be unable to get into the content past that without 100's of hours of grinding.
    HuskyDMKuronekonova
  • MerphistMerphist
    Reactions: 890
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Takes time and effort. You can make things faster or slower, but there is never a shortcut! Effort pays for itself ^-^
    From my experience from 230-240, I was gaining about 2.4% exp per hour. I would train about 8 hours per day during summer of 2018 since there was no school (I'm still level 240). Near the end of summer, I just took advantage of the 2x event. (I play in MYBCKN, and there's usually about 100% burning fields at MTS2)

I know not everyone has the time, so others have the option to supplement it with getting exp multipliers/kishin/frenzy. Well I can't do math at all if anyone is out there to correct me.
    I don't think your exp rates are wrong, they seem pretty right.
    I am on 6x and got about 50% in 5 hours
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Rather than play crazy hours each day and burn myself out, I just play a few hours each day. If I stop playing for awhile then I don't worry about it. The goal is to have a slow consistent pace rather than going at it with 110% all the time.
    I've gone from somewhere around 210 to 241, from around 100 AF to over 900, from under 2m to over 9m range on my main, from around 2.5k to 6.2k legion, from two 5th jobs to four with two more about to hit 5th in about a year simply by playing the game for on average 2-3 hours each day.
    Of course if you have more time available and you aren't soloing everything you can do more. Point is, as they say, slow and steady wins the race.

I should be a lot higher in basically all regards but I play for fun, since I'm having fun just playing like I am I'd say my progress is good. To each their own though.
    WONDERGUY
  • MigiSouthpawMigiSouthpaw
    edited February 2019
    I normally train for like 1 hour a day lol

The 5 hours of training for that one time was only because a generous person sharing dozens of their mvps

I guess I just wasn't prepared mentally for the big exp required to level jump from 229-230. Just gotta get used to this pace

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    I normally train for like 1 hour a day lol

The 5 hours of training for that one time was only because a generous person sharing dozens of their mvps

I guess I just wasn't prepared mentally for the big exp required to level jump from 229-230. Just gotta get used to this pace

After level 200, every 10 levels the exp jumps from a normal rate to an insane one for one level, effectively causing all future levels to require double exp.
    I believe the rate used to be 1.01x required for every level past 200, and then 2.02x on the 10th level (So 230->231 would be 2.02x instead of 1.01x) but it's been changed slightly due to the 200-220 curve being made easier.

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/MapleStory/EXP_and_Pet_Closeness#Leveling_EXP

As a general rule of thumb though, expect leveling up to become twice as hard as the previous 10 levels at every checkpoint of 10 levels.
  • StarryKnightStarryKnight
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited February 2019
    If you wanted some perspective, it takes the same amount of EXP to get from 242 to 250 that it took to get from 0 to 242.

Though to be fair, killing a single monster at level 242 gives you the same exp that it took to get from 1 to about level 42... lol.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited February 2019
    quit look on ranking and enjoy the game its has much to offer

if your goal its to get on ranking and nothing but that
    then get ready for super hard dedicated work

being ranked #1 its not eazy
    alltho many cheat to it ......and try justify it as fine
    get ready to battle them and do it legit

Kuronekonova
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    Reactions: 915
    edited February 2019
    This game is terrible, the leveling is so slow. I don't want to spend years just to go from level 200 to 250 to 275. There should be a second "Big Bang" so that people can reach 275 in 1 to 2 weeks of casual playing.
    Kuronekonova
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    edited February 2019
    Bulbasaur wrote: »
    This game is terrible, the leveling is so slow. I don't want to spend years just to go from level 200 to 250 to 275. There should be a second "Big Bang" so that people can reach 275 in 1 to 2 weeks of casual playing.
    in other words if bigbang shoot maple in legs with all the cubes and $$$ lets shoot maple in head and see if survive
    edited February 2019
    WONDERGUY wrote: »
    quit look on ranking and enjoy the game its has much to offer

if your goal its to get on ranking and nothing but that
    then get ready for super hard dedicated work

being ranked #1 its not eazy
    alltho many cheat to it ......and try justify it as fine
    get ready to battle them and do it legit

Nah I don't care about ranking, just want to get to 234 asap then use that level potion from Utah shop
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    The insane grinding after 200 is one of the biggest problems in the game. Its not as if people will suddenly be able to beat all high end bosses once they reach 255 or 275, that is just not how it works. Its possible to reach those high levels and still not be properly funded/geared, specially if you are playing free. I really don't understand the logic behind making the grind to 255, the last level you need to have access to all the currently available areas, so insanely hard and expecting players to raise several characters to 210+. Having 255 to 275 being hard grinds is understandable, for many it is an arms race to see who gets to that level, but for everything before 255 the grind should be reduced greatly.
  • pepepepe
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited February 2019
    my hunch is that they are going to increase the cap to 300 when its convenient for them ie when all the 275s get bored and want more. Nexon meanwhile wants to give them a sense of achievement in case they feel like they can't quite reach a newer cap and quit.

That's just the new meta, cap raising every few years.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    pepe wrote: »
    my hunch is that they are going to increase the cap to 300 when its convenient for them ie when all the 275s get bored and want more. Nexon meanwhile wants to give them a sense of achievement in case they feel like they can't quite reach a newer cap and quit.

Hasn't the cap only been raised twice in Maplestory's history?
    First from 200 to 250, then from 250 to 275? How is what you said a meta?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    pepe wrote: »

Hasn't the cap only been raised twice in Maplestory's history?
    First from 200 to 250, then from 250 to 275? How is what you said a meta?

The cap was 120 at one time, then 200, then 250, now 275. And there was a good stretch of time between the 250 and 275 cap
  • ChibichaserChibichaser
    Reactions: 730
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    The cap was 120 at one time, then 200, then 250, now 275. And there was a good stretch of time between the 250 and 275 cap

The level cap was only ever 120 for Cygnus Knights on their release. From the release of the game however it's always been 200 for Explorers.

As far as the issue everyone's having with the grind. I feel like people are failing to realize that this is a Korean MMO and Koreans typically like the endless grind that games have. There's a reason MapleStory is still one of the top 5 games in Korea.
    I'm not a huge fan of grinding for multiple hours per day, but odds are if you're complaining about the grind, you're nowhere geared enough to do the content that you'd unlock upon reaching lv255.

FuhreakWONDERGUYHuskyDM
  • tracyhoodztracyhoodz
    Reactions: 1,310
    edited February 2019
    Bulbasaur wrote: »

was waiting to see if anyone mentioned "pre-bigbang"...lol...people "STILL", complaining about SLOW leveling.lolol some people you couldnt be satisfy with a gold $%#$@* and a brass &%^&%.................people now days unless they were around back then have no idea about slow lvling.......2 years just to get to 200...lol.the 24 hour a day grinding and also having a bishop leach you for 36 hours nonstop for 20mill and hour while on a 2x card and then during 2x for 4 x max..... getting leech at harpys till you got to lvl then leech at skellys if you were lucky nuff to stay that long. or you soloed skellys for .01% exp per kill till you got to lvl 200...i went away for almost a year then came back. leveled a blaze wiz from 150 to 197 in under 3 weeks. just doing dailies and a few quests about 3 hours a day.........bigbang....
    "the day the biiiishops died"......lol
    WONDERGUY
    edited February 2019
    I've already adjusted to the pace, doesn't feel that slow anymore honestly lol

Almost 233 and its only been a few days with little training sessions here and there
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

The level cap was only ever 120 for Cygnus Knights on their release. From the release of the game however it's always been 200 for Explorers.

As far as the issue everyone's having with the grind. I feel like people are failing to realize that this is a Korean MMO and Koreans typically like the endless grind that games have. There's a reason MapleStory is still one of the top 5 games in Korea.
    I'm not a huge fan of grinding for multiple hours per day, but odds are if you're complaining about the grind, you're nowhere geared enough to do the content that you'd unlock upon reaching lv255.

While it is a Korean MMO I think the localizers should do their job of localizing content for a different taste, even if that means cutting the amount of exp needed to go from level to level a bit (or a lot). I can't remember out of the top of my head which game it was but I know there are some games that do cut the requirements for levels/stuff between regions to better appeal to certain demographics.
  • BlazeMagicBlazeMagic
    Reactions: 400
    While I enjoy grinding myself, I still think it would be better if there was less of it. Or maybe a shortcut to reach the max level a bit faster for casual players, then those who go through all the grinding get an extra small bonus to their stats?
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    edited March 2019
    BlazeMagic wrote: »
    While I enjoy grinding myself, I still think it would be better if there was less of it. Or maybe a shortcut to reach the max level a bit faster for casual players, then those who go through all the grinding get an extra small bonus to their stats?
    there is bunch of shortcuts $$ sadly...
    as casual player you cant expect stats like that
    those goals are meant to put work , its like can i get on spritner ranking with 5min/day walk next to usain bolt
    thats why maple its as it is
    people that did hard work(learn how things work) to reach end point got forgoten-passed by people that "casual/$$$" without knowing a thing about maple

i remember the day emp came and there was runs-squads people was studying skill, organising for days to make the weapons/gear to endup people complain as it was "hard" to boost skill to 1shot or just buy the items from cs $$ #shortcuts
    its same with all other content
    poor maple
    oh well sad to see the changes but happy to see maple running as it is at least social part its nice