[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Desperate for female Mihile

KlaraKlara
Reactions: 3,385
edited March 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
When is the gender lock going to be removed? It's been almost 7 years since the class came out and I'm still hoping for a female Mihile. From my POV, all that needs to be adjusted are the hair, eyes, and pronouns in dialogue. I know I could always make a male and dress him up femininely, but the cash items and hairstyle I have planned out are female-only.

Example: just throw on any eyes and hair which are similar to the male version and TADA!

unknown.png

MorningAfterSeven

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    I think that fact that is has been "almost 7 years" shows exactly how much Nexon cares about this topic.
    I honestly don't mind gender locks, but only for story reasons. I usually play as the canon sex anyway.
    What strikes me as odd however, is that only Angelic Buster/Mihile have them.
    It would be more understandable if they all had them, but it's only these two? Why?

In games where assets are hard to produce and character models are vastly different, gender locks save development time for devs.
    But MapleStory's assets are pretty much all the same. I fail to see any reason why it would need gender locks.
    While we're on the subject, can we get rid of the male/female versions of armors in the early game?
    YinYangX
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited March 2019
    I'd wager it's because mihile was established as being a male character early on, and angelic buster is basically just fanservice: the class
  • KlaraKlara
    edited March 2019
    Some things take a while before Nexon makes changes to them. They probably don't know whether people would like this feature, or are waiting for more interest.

I would also really like a male AB but that one would need more work since the outfits need to be redesigned and then there's also the task of finding a suitable male voice actor. The cutscenes can be kept the same since multiple other classes only have one for both genders. I would be happy to redesign the male dress-up outfits myself if it means the genderlocks were to be removed.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    I'd wager it's because mihile was established as being a male character early on, and angelic buster is basically just fanservice: the class

Whereas Phantom wasn't established as being male? Considering Korea's supposed homophobia (speculated to be the reason we don't have same-gender marriages in Maple to this day), having Phantom the womanizer, lover of Empress Aria, be female, is quite scandalous. And yet we can make female Phantoms.

From what I've heard, Mihile class was originally intended as an April 1st joke, but was released as an actual class to deflect attention from some scandal or other in KMS. It was hastily done so they didn't have the time to make the female version of the storyline. That doesn't explain why they never went back and added the female version when they finally revamped the class, however.

AB, on the other hand, would need to be completely redone for Magical Boy. It's not just the outfit but the skill animations and of course the story dialog. Unless we want Eskalade to be forcing an actual boy (rather than a tomboy) into pinkness and sparkles, which somehow I don't think would satisfy those players who hate playing AB because of her gender-lock...
  • PawblePawble
    Reactions: 405
    edited March 2019
    AKradian wrote: »

Whereas Phantom wasn't established as being male? Considering Korea's supposed homophobia (speculated to be the reason we don't have same-gender marriages in Maple to this day), having Phantom the womanizer, lover of Empress Aria, be female, is quite scandalous. And yet we can make female Phantoms.

From what I've heard, Mihile class was originally intended as an April 1st joke, but was released as an actual class to deflect attention from some scandal or other in KMS. It was hastily done so they didn't have the time to make the female version of the storyline. That doesn't explain why they never went back and added the female version when they finally revamped the class, however.

AB, on the other hand, would need to be completely redone for Magical Boy. It's not just the outfit but the skill animations and of course the story dialog. Unless we want Eskalade to be forcing an actual boy (rather than a tomboy) into pinkness and sparkles, which somehow I don't think would satisfy those players who hate playing AB because of her gender-lock...

I like to think it's because Mihile is an established job instructor and consistent NPC in the world, thus the gender lock is to keep things accurate in that instance.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2019
    Pawble wrote: »

I like to think it's because Mihile is an established job instructor and consistent NPC in the world, thus the gender lock is to keep things accurate in that instance.

That's what I was trying to get at with my post, but it was early(for me, at least) and words don't good too well
  • PawblePawble
    edited March 2019

That's what I was trying to get at with my post, but it was early(for me, at least) and words don't good too well

Well in that case, I completely agree with your post.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited March 2019
    lorewise, isnt mihile male? while the other cygnus knights we create are just students of the 4 chiefs.
  • KlaraKlara
    edited March 2019
    Well the 6 heroes have set genders but we can still choose to play the opposite. Some of them appear as NPCs in Maple World but that doesn't create a gender lock for the class. Furthermore, there's even an NPC for Mastema (from demon's storyline) who changes gender based on the one you pick. Not everything is set in stone and that's what I like about Maple: we get a choice to completely customise our characters. Sure the canon might be X but when we make that class we can turn it into Y. We're just following the backstory Nexon created.

Although Mihile seems like a masculine name, it's just the title of a class. We use Mercedes, which is a feminine given name, for male Mercedes as well. Some people probably don't realise how awkward that may be unless Nexon calls it the 'Mary' class.

From maplewiki.net: "She went on to call the nameless kiddo "Mihile," which means "Born of Light" in honor of his fallen father, Chromile, the Knight of Light."

unknown.png

Personally, I would really like to keep the sparkly pink skill animations for male AB since Eskalade is the one who actually owns them; it's just the type of powers the class has. Some of Mercedes' skills are rather feminine with the fairies and unicorns but we don't get a masculine version if we choose a male Mercedes. Moreover, Cadena is a tomboy but there's just so much pink -which was originally a masculine colour.

As for AB's story dialogue, I think it should be kept the same except for the pronouns. Schatten from MS2 says some rather bold things to the player no matter the gender. Sure some people may find it awkward, but the entertainment value is great.
  • PawblePawble
    edited March 2019
    All I know about Mastema is that their gender is always the opposite of Demon's due to being a love interest/having a crush on Demon and Korea's supposed homophobia as AKradian mentioned.
  • KlaraKlara
    edited March 2019
    All I know about Mastema is that their gender is always the opposite of Demon's due to being a love interest/having a crush on Demon and Korea's supposed homophobia as AKradian mentioned.

I just saw demon's storyline as "pick gender A and get Mastema gender B for variety" and vice versa. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    But that still doesn't explain female Kinesis and Yuna.
    And female Luminous and Lania. (?)

It seems that KMS is saying they're following strict rules but are slipping up multiple times. XD

Someone please chime in and call out other classes/characters for entertainment!
  • PawblePawble
    edited March 2019
    Klara wrote: »

I just saw demon's storyline as "pick gender A and get Mastema gender B for variety" and vice versa. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    But that still doesn't explain female Kinesis and Yuna.
    And female Luminous and Lania. (?)

It seems that KMS is saying they're following strict rules but are slipping up multiple times. XD

Someone please chime in and call out other classes/characters for entertainment!

Well Kinesis is a newer class. In the end only the developers can explain their reasons for these things, it's mostly speculation on our end, right?
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited March 2019
    Well the 6 heroes have set genders but we can still choose to play the opposite. Some of them appear as NPCs in Maple World but that doesn't create a gender lock for the class. Furthermore, there's even an NPC for Mastema (from demon's storyline) who changes gender based on the one you pick. Not everything is set in stone and that's what I like about Maple: we get a choice to completely customise our characters. Sure the canon might be X but when we make that class we can turn it into Y. We're just following the backstory Nexon created.

Aran and Evan didn't had established genders until much much later when the story started to develop. Furthermore the heroes weren't established NPCs unlike Mihile who was always there. I really doubt they will change Mihile, its been here for a long time and he is not as popular to warrant much additions.

• KlaraKlara
    edited March 2019
    HuskyDM wrote: »

Aran and Evan didn't had established genders until much much later when the story started to develop. Furthermore the heroes weren't established NPCs unlike Mihile who was always there. I really doubt they will change Mihile, its been here for a long time and he is not as popular to warrant much additions.

Maybe he's not popular because of the gender lock? I have friends who prefer to play female characters because there's more variety for hair/outfits. My current Mihile mule is unappealing because I can't customise them how I want.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    Maybe he's not popular because of the gender lock? I have friends who prefer to play female characters because there's more variety for hair/outfits. My current Mihile mule is unappealing because I can't customise them how I want.

Unpopular things usually fall into cracks for larger companies. They see that something isn't popular, so they ignore it for the most part.
    Rather than bring everything up to the level of the most popular thing, they just make new things that try to emulate that popularity.
    Don't expect anything unpopular in MapleStory to get any love anytime soon.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2019

I can assure you that that simply is not the case. The class is just not a pleasant thing to experience. Anyone I've known that's played one at any point has only done so for its link skill.
  • DiximaNDiximaN
    Reactions: 1,390
    edited March 2019
    Yeah we'd like to have a male Angelic Buster too f3
    edited April 2019
    now is your chance, if you want a female mihile just buy royal hairs for april fool's hairs, guys have female rotations. and same for male angelic buster. then just dress them up in neutral clothing that is mostly masculine
  • KlaraKlara
    edited April 2019
    now is your chance, if you want a female mihile just buy royal hairs for april fool's hairs, guys have female rotations. and same for male angelic buster. then just dress them up in neutral clothing that is mostly masculine

I actually have a planned look for my Mihile, and unfortunately the outfit is locked to females. =/ And the current April Fools' hairstyles don't have the right texture for the character I want to create. It's just easier to ask for the gender lock to be removed.

I can assure you that that simply is not the case. The class is just not a pleasant thing to experience. Anyone I've known that's played one at any point has only done so for its link skill.

Jett is a pretty unpopular class as well and has probably been criticised since day 1, right? But nexon still put in effort to revamp the skill animations.
    And then there's Beast Tamer; some people main it.
    edited April 2019
    mihile has been unpopular since before the revamp. people dont like the playstyle not because it's gender locked.

people dont really train mihile unless theyre going for 8k legion or link skill. even with legion you dont need mihile to be 200 to get 8k, you just need 40 characters.

so, unless youre planning on maining and others are planning on maining mihile, does the benefit of including female mihile outweigh the effort?