[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Best memories with maplestory?

DuskGuardDuskGuard
Reactions: 1,465
edited May 2019 in General Chat
Hey dudes and woman. What are some of your favorite memories in MS, doesn't matter if it's pre or post big bang, feel free to share.

I have a few:

1. Back in the day, the slime tree at Ellinia was a very popular training spot before hackers took over (for a brief moment in MS history). I remember going there with an IRL buddy of mine and grinding out slimes on our two magicians. Sitting on a chair under this one platform where slimes couldn't get to you, and occasionally getting mage equips. Those were some good times.

2. On my first or second character I made a warrior who transitioned into a page. I put absolutely no points into dex, and back then you needed 3str 1dex every level to be able to hit things. At around level 35 or 40 my friend wanted to train with me and saw me missing like 50% of the time to which he replied "dude your build sucks... you know you need dex on warriors right?" Feelsbadman

3. Spiegalmann's semi-PVP minigame. I made a dexless sin with pretty OP gear at the time (10+ att work gloves, pretty good sauna robe OMEGALUL) and would carry every party I was in. Hit something like 2-4k every throwing star, which was like 2x the average person back then. That was pretty fun. Actually most party quests in general were pretty fun.

4. Moon bunny PQ. That D/C glitch was hilarious, and if you knew how to do it you basically could get into any party you like.

YinYangXMaxTheBerserkStayGold

Comments

• AlexUshimatoAlexUshimato
    Reactions: 770
    edited May 2019
    I look back pretty fondly on my days grinding octopuses right outside of Kerning City on that one scaffolding map (I think it was the portal on the left?) all the way up to level 30 because my young mind couldn’t comprehend going to different maps to level up on stronger monsters, or that quests were WAY better than pure grinding back in the day.

Also, I remember going with a could of guild mates as thieves and using Dark Sight or whatever the skill is to sneak into some high level zones like deep in Sleepywood. Was so cool getting to see those monsters and then accidentally letting the buff drop and getting 1HKO by like Jr. Balrog or something.

Speaking of Balrog, the Balrog on the Orbis ship! I can’t count how many times I would get on the ship and then afk, forgetting to go inside, only to come back and find myself dead.

Good times!
    YinYangX
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    Hmm, for me, it was probably way back when Maplestory was still on a disc in Korea. Saw my cousin play it when I was still in single digit age and was awestruck/mind blown. xd

After that, hmm, probably running around with Umbra when Cygnus Knights first came out.
    AlexUshimato
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    Playing with my mage and getting him to lvl 30. Such an archievement, sadly I used the hairstyle coupon and my characters hairstyle got ugly.

The monster carnival, so much fun playing with others.
    Another thing is hiding in the ship when the balrogs came, that was fun.

My fav memory is tho when I returned to maplestory during the red update and made my first character after a long hiatus, my angelic buster.
    And when I first started playing maple on a crappy computer as a little kid.

Gosh I am getting emotional :3

YinYangX
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited May 2019
    Playing with my mage and getting him to lvl 30. Such an archievement, sadly I used the hairstyle coupon and my characters hairstyle got ugly.

My fav memory is tho when I returned to maplestory during the red update and made my first character after a long hiatus, my angelic buster.

I feel you. I used it on my old what-the-hell-are-these-stats-tho warrior and got that ugly-as-sin spiky mess. I resolved to cover it up with helmets as much as possible because it was gods-awful.
  • AlexUshimatoAlexUshimato
    Reactions: 770
    edited May 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

I feel you. I used it on my old what-the-hell-are-these-stats-tho warrior and got that ugly-as-sin spiky mess. I resolved to cover it up with helmets as much as possible because it was gods-awful.

God, I remember I got that “Runaway” hairstyle or whatever from one of those random coupons... I actually quit the character, I thought it was so bad.

3556107-D-0-F13-44-BD-AF25-C3-F32-BC5-C448.jpg
    DuskGuard
  • StayGoldStayGold
    Reactions: 1,670
    edited May 2019
    1. Fighting old event bosses and monsters.

In 2009, there was a Chinese New Year Lucky Bag monster in the Nautilus, and I solo'ed it with an Archer (it took around 2 hours, I think). No one else was around, so I was able to redeem all of the drops with the Maple Administrator.

Also, seeing people swarming Big Puff Daddy that would spawn on the staircase outside of Kerning City hair salon. So many unique event monsters and bosses pre-Big Bang. At least we still get to fight Turkeys around Thanksgiving time.

2. Exploring Amoria and getting to the end, only to find out that there was an NPC for the Wedding Party Quest. I also tried fighting the Sakura Cellions at the top of the first mob map, but would mostly loot the mesos if the high-leveled player(s) that were training didn't pick them up.

The "Beauty or Beast" quest was also fun to do. 25 Squishy Liquids and RNG. The first time I did it, I was playing as a female character and I got the Stella hairstyle (female afro). Eventually, I made a Night Walker in 2008 and got Orange Antagonist (had the default Orange Rebel hairstyle). Many Sins had that hairstyle, and I assume most spent NX to get it, but I was lucky.

3. Noob Training Camp, and in general, the Beginner tutorial back before Wizet was acquired by Nexon Korea. The green outfit you would wear and the monsters you would see and could fight (Leatty) are so nostalgic.

4. The Legacy UI. Everything was simple and easy to navigate (the HP and MP bars). I don't like the UI now because I occasionally die when fighting bosses because of the center-of-screen HP/MP box.

I have so many more memories of pre-BB MapleStory, including a "Maple GF" that I met in Happyville with my Night Walker. She was three or four years older than me (I was 13 at the time). Looking back on it now, that was a weird but memorable time.
    YinYangX
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited May 2019
    StayGold wrote: »
    1. Fighting old event bosses and monsters.

In 2009, there was a Chinese New Year Lucky Bag monster in the Nautilus, and I solo'ed it with an Archer (it took around 2 hours, I think). No one else was around, so I was able to redeem all of the drops with the Maple Administrator.

Also, seeing people swarming Big Puff Daddy that would spawn on the staircase outside of Kerning City hair salon. So many unique event monsters and bosses pre-Big Bang. At least we still get to fight Turkeys around Thanksgiving time.

2. Exploring Amoria and getting to the end, only to find out that there was an NPC for the Wedding Party Quest. I also tried fighting the Sakura Cellions at the top of the first mob map, but would mostly loot the mesos if the high-leveled player(s) that were training didn't pick them up.

The "Beauty or Beast" quest was also fun to do. 25 Squishy Liquids and RNG. The first time I did it, I was playing as a female character and I got the Stella hairstyle (female afro). Eventually, I made a Night Walker in 2008 and got Orange Antagonist (had the default Orange Rebel hairstyle). Many Sins had that hairstyle, and I assume most spent NX to get it, but I was lucky.

3. Noob Training Camp, and in general, the Beginner tutorial back before Wizet was acquired by Nexon Korea. The green outfit you would wear and the monsters you would see and could fight (Leatty) are so nostalgic.

4. The Legacy UI. Everything was simple and easy to navigate (the HP and MP bars). I don't like the UI now because I occasionally die when fighting bosses because of the center-of-screen HP/MP box.

I have so many more memories of pre-BB MapleStory, including a "Maple GF" that I met in Happyville with my Night Walker. She was three or four years older than me (I was 13 at the time). Looking back on it now, that was a weird but memorable time.

I would argue #4 as being less about the on-screen position and more of the, in comparison to the old UI, more muted colors of the HP/MP bars. Making those more vibrant would probably go a long way toward being more eye-catching for some players.
  • MaxTheBerserkMaxTheBerserk
    Reactions: 405
    edited May 2019
    Well, it was really hard to grind in the past. I remember that reaching lvl 70 was a great achievement.

The "noob" green suit at the very beginning of training camp.

Taking the ship to Orbis for the first time and get killed by the Balrog, till you became strong enough to face him without hiding downstairs.

The Monster Carnival PQ: trying to earn the necklace with the right stats that you need with your character.

Amoria... and well, getting married only to get the best stats ring.

First time that Dojo came out and everyone in the map were Arans. Or Demon Slayers, just a few moths later.

But the most, was my guild.
    Maple gave me the opportunity to play with many of my friends all over the country.
    I'm still in contact with all of them and they're all feeling nostalgic about these days of the past.
    YinYangX
  • StayGoldStayGold
    Reactions: 1,670
    edited May 2019
    First time that Dojo came out and everyone in the map were Arans. Or Demon Slayers, just a few moths later.

Mu Lung Dojo was actually introduced pre-BB, in mid-2009. Big Bang happened in December 2010. And the Demon Slayer class was introduced post-BB (it's technically part of Resistance because of the introduction sequence).