[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

damage cap.

psiPpsiP
Reactions: 1,750
edited May 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
r> complete removal of damage cap.
Ivangold

Comments

• PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited May 2019
    :T games generally have to have a cap of some sort because programming, the numbers can only go so high or the program won't know what to do with them.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    :T games generally have to have a cap of some sort because programming, the numbers can only go so high or the program won't know what to do with them.

Since a 32bit int is limited from 0 to somewhere in the low 4billions, that means that Nexon is technically limited to a damage cap of the next step up.
    A 64bit int limits them at a damage cap of 18,446,744,073,709,551,615.
    Integers Computer Science

That said, I'd much rather see smaller numbers all around than crazy big numbers just for the sake of "LOOK AT HOW BIG THE NUMBERS ARE! WOAH!"
    Looking at you, Disgaea.
  • LatemasterLatemaster
    Reactions: 1,780
    edited May 2019
    well currently the cap is 10b which is reachable, but they could rise it to 100b which can't realistically be reached in somewhere you need higher dmg. Dojo has nice system since there you do 10% of your normal dmg so it's much easier to keep up with your dmg there.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited May 2019
    I would certanly like the higher cap, any class who isn't Night Lord or Phantom-like with many lines in every skill suffers greatly in endgame, which also impacts other players that are weaker, since you won't see pros playing the slower and less lined oriented jobs, instead most pros are all high lines/seconds.

It's annoying trying to get stronger as Marksman(my case) only to lose damage cause you have far fewer lines in your 5job skill and i'm not even strong to actually lose much damage, but i already know one of my skills won't get stronger due to cap dmg.

Fire/Poison who have this really high damage at certain moments(due to Infinity) making a lot easier to hit 10b cap, many other classes go into this, it end up affecting everyone since without someone strong in a class it makes a lot less likely for people to play with it and get inspired in some way, to know the class is somewhat viable.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited May 2019
    The only thing a higher damage cap is going to do is cause ever more power creep. Honestly raising it from 50m to 10b itself was a mistake.
  • ShippouShippou
    Reactions: 1,570
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Petalmagic wrote: »

Since a 32bit int is limited from 0 to somewhere in the low 4billions, that means that Nexon is technically limited to a damage cap of the next step up.
    A 64bit int limits them at a damage cap of 18,446,744,073,709,551,615.
    Integers Computer Science

That said, I'd much rather see smaller numbers all around than crazy big numbers just for the sake of "LOOK AT HOW BIG THE NUMBERS ARE! WOAH!"
    Looking at you, Disgaea.

If they are using 64bit integers, yes, but there are data types that can store higher values.

The whole "32/64 bit OS/program" has nothing to do with the largest values the program can store.
    That bit value refers to the size of the instructions / maximum number of addressable memory locations.

You can define a new type if you wanted to store obscenely larger numbers, or, if you wanted to ditch some precision (because honestly, when you get to a certain point, it doesn't matter anymore), you could just define denominations like some of those weird mobile games do and just roll over into a larger "currency".
    So, you'd just define 1 billion damage as a value of 1 in a billionsPlace variable, etc, etc. There are no actual programmable barriers to increasing any of the caps in the game.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    LittleTLK wrote: »
    The whole "32/64 bit OS/program" has nothing to do with the largest values the program can store.
    That bit value refers to the size of the instructions / maximum number of addressable memory locations.

The whole 32/64 bit OS/program has nothing to do with what I said, either. I'm just assuming they're using common types.
    Though it is true that Nexon could have used their own type, I think it's still likely that the current damage formula isn't limited to 10b.
    It's a possibility that all nexon has to do to increase damage cap is simply turn the limit up.