[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

To (once again) decide on a class

NilremNilrem
Reactions: 1,060
edited June 2019 in General Chat
Since it has been 2 years since my (previous) brief return, alongside me not having much to do over in Maple 2 due to the weekly nature of it...

I have decided to play this game again. Plus side I don't have questions to ask like before.
Downside is that I want to start fresh because I haven't played in so long.

I want this new main to be made via the upcoming Tera burning event, and am slowly leveling some link skill fodder in the meantime.
Thing is, with what I'm after, typical "class help" guides didn't do much. I'm not after anything that is "strong" or "the best" or anything.

I'm after class choice based on how fun the class is to play in general.
So I decided it would be fun for a help topic, in a sort of playful way.

I want people to convince me what is fun about certain classes.
Moveset? Aesthetics? Maybe interesting functions?

Feel free to include that new upcoming class as a potential choice as well.

Link skill classes that I am already leveling/leveled and will not consider:
Cygnus Knights
Mercedes
Demon Slayer
Demon Avenger
Kanna
Cannoneer
Luminous
Phantom
Kinesis
Evan (I like those runes okay?)

Lets have some fun with this. Plenty of time before the update/event.

Comments

• DuskGuardDuskGuard
    Reactions: 1,465
    edited June 2019
    My vote goes to hero

They have insane damage, and decent mobbing post 5th job. Flash jump + raging blow (with cry valhalla and whatever the 5th job skill is) means you basically clear as fast as most meta classes (besides lumi).

They're great at bossing and one of the best scaling classes there is.

I also can comment on Demon Slayer, which I have a bit more experience in.

We're good mobbers until we reach endgame, where our clunky AoE attack (infernal concussion) is outclassed by other fast/mobile AoE attacks can 1 shot things.

However that being said I think Demon Slayers are one of, if not the best solo bosser. We have fairly decent damage, 4 target main bossing ability, and a ton of lines. In a future update we're supposed to get a final damage buff, pushing our dpm into top 10. On top of this we have INSANE sustain. Leech aura means anything that half shots won't really be much of a concern unless it hits you 3 times in about 5 seconds. If this happens you have a 1 sec invuln and 50% heal to negate that (30sec cd). On top of that you have a 3 second invuln (2 min cd).

Our mobility is definitely not preferable, but it's there. Unlike other classes who can press jump twice and dash-jump, we have glide. It's pretty effective and moves fast but you need to practice controlling it.

Oh yeah and we have a 20 sec bind (i think) on a 2 min cd.

TL:DR/summary for demon slayer

Pros:
    -decent burst, good sustained damage
    -great sustain/tankiness
    -2 invuln abilities
    -overall, one of the best solo bossers (or bossers in general)

Cons:
    -meh mobility unless mastered > great mobility
    -clunky abilities (aside from our 5th job skill which is insane)
    -average farmer
    -must get used to demon fury management and buff management
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited June 2019
    First order of business is what you're looking for in a class. Get that taken care of and suggestions/recommendations will come in quicker.
  • oddpawoddpaw
    Reactions: 100
    edited June 2019
    Does anyone know when tera burning ends?
    I just wanted to make a tera burning for my Ark and it didnt ask me if i wanted it to be Tera burning.
    I was wondering if the event ended?
  • NilremNilrem
    edited June 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    First order of business is what you're looking for in a class. Get that taken care of and suggestions/recommendations will come in quicker.

This is pretty much entirely a blank slate, so what I'm pretty much saying is

oddpaw wrote: »
    Does anyone know when tera burning ends?
    I just wanted to make a tera burning for my Ark and it didnt ask me if i wanted it to be Tera burning.
    I was wondering if the event ended?

It didn't even start yet. We got a little over a week before it begins on the 12th.
  • AlexUshimatoAlexUshimato
    Reactions: 770
    edited June 2019
    It’s not very easy to suggest a class to you when all you’ve done is blacklist a handful of them and just said “pick for me”.

You blacklisted Cygnus Knights but Dawn Warriors are incredibly flashy with many multi-line skills and room-wide hypers and 5th job skills.

Evan is incredibly strong in mobbing, has an easy to learn, hard to master set of skills that really rewards learning the intricacies of the class.

Demons are power houses that are super difficult to kill and deal tons and tons of damage.

Those WOULD be my suggestions to you, but I’ve got no clue what it is you want. /shrug
    Petalmagic
  • NilremNilrem
    edited June 2019
    Ended up just getting the answer somewhere else, which was Hayato.
    (Runner up was Aran, but the argument wasn't nearly as good)

This was also the only class arguement given to me that:

Did not try to convince me with damage.
    Did not try to convince me via "mobbing" or "bossing" abilities.
    Did not worry about what I "want" and was able to work with a blank slate.
    Actually described the class as fun and why it was fun.

I know you people that tried to help me wanted hints or something, but you really gotta work on thinking outside the box.
    A blank slate can be convinced by anything.

(Also the majority of classes I denied/made into mules for link skills I found boring. I don't care how strong a class is if I'm falling asleep playing it. Why do you think I denied both Demon Slayer AND Avenger? Boring powerhouses.)
  • KrimlockKrimlock
    Reactions: 1,840
    edited June 2019
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Ended up just getting the answer somewhere else, which was Hayato.
    (Runner up was Aran, but the argument wasn't nearly as good)

This was also the only class arguement given to me that:

Did not try to convince me with damage.
    Did not try to convince me via "mobbing" or "bossing" abilities.
    Did not worry about what I "want" and was able to work with a blank slate.
    Actually described the class as fun and why it was fun.

I know you people that tried to help me wanted hints or something, but you really gotta work on thinking outside the box.
    A blank slate can be convinced by anything.

(Also the majority of classes I denied/made into mules for link skills I found boring. I don't care how strong a class is if I'm falling asleep playing it. Why do you think I denied both Demon Slayer AND Avenger? Boring powerhouses.)

Well technically anyone that is enthusiastic about a class can make it sound like its the funnest thing in the world compared to any other class, truth is all classes are fun and yes even jett and beast tamer are fun.

Like i said all it takes is someone with big pretty words telling you about the class they love and make it sound like the best thing on earth since sliced bread! but with that said it dont mean "you" are going to have said same fun, hence why ppl ask what you look for in a class and makes it hella hard to "seduce" anyone to a certain class that someone else likes that you down the road might start to dislike later after the initial hype someone gave you for that class dies down.

But in short i do hope you have fun with your class choice...well i guess its not really your choice is it...lol
  • NilremNilrem
    edited June 2019
    Krimlock wrote: »
    Well technically anyone that is enthusiastic about a class can make it sound like its the funnest thing in the world compared to any other class, truth is all classes are fun and yes even jett and beast tamer are fun.

Like i said all it takes is someone with big pretty words telling you about the class they love and make it sound like the best thing on earth since sliced bread! but with that said it dont mean "you" are going to have said same fun, hence why ppl ask what you look for in a class and makes it hella hard to "seduce" anyone to a certain class that someone else likes that you down the road might start to dislike later after the initial hype someone gave you for that class dies down.

But in short i do hope you have fun with your class choice...well i guess its not really your choice is it...lol

In simple terms:

Asking me for what I desired was pointless as a desire did not exist.

What I was asking was for someone to cause a desire to exist, or rather convince me what was fun about a class.
    Most I got here was the Hero suggestion, but even then all it told me was "Its strong". Just about every class is strong, so I got next to nothing from the suggestion.
    I'm not after anything that is "strong" or "the best" or anything.
    I'm after class choice based on how fun the class is to play in general.
    I want people to convince me what is fun about certain classes.
    Moveset? Aesthetics? Maybe interesting functions?

Literally just about any class could have been suggested, outside of the link mules I'm already doing.
    Over 20 to choose from.
    Lets have some fun with this.

I literally asked people in the OP itself to go wild convincing me of just about any class.
    Yet nobody even considered low hanging fruit such as:

Aran and its dynasty warriors style combo gameplay, mowing down everything in your path like a psycopath.

Kaiser and the joy of (literally) becoming huge and the fun aesthetics around being a literal dragon knight.

Angelic Buster and her existence as not only a magical girl, but also the embodiment of anime and world destroying rage.

Not even a mention of Ark, Cadena, or even Shade???
    I'm not angry, just disappointed.
    I guess I expected too much.