[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

How many more maintenance are we gona get?

EXdestEXdest
Reactions: 1,375
edited June 2019 in General Chat
it's 5 already in 12 days after v205 release.

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited June 2019
    You'd prefer they put out a news post that says "well we don't know why legion boards were reset or why lab server pieces disappeared for some players, you'll just have to live with it"? There will be as many as it takes for the problem to be solved.
    MorningAfterSevenFuhreak
  • AndromedyAndromedy
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited June 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    You'd prefer they put out a news post that says "well we don't know why legion boards were reset or why lab server pieces disappeared for some players, you'll just have to live with it"? There will be as many as it takes for the problem to be solved.

No, I'd prefer they not break the game in the first place. Why does EVERY patch go hellaciously wrong. Fixing like one problem every 2 days. I swear the game has been down more than it's been up recently. Can people really not live without a legion for like a week until they can compile a bigger list to fix?
    EXdest
  • EXdestEXdest
    edited June 2019
    I am not asking them to stop fixing glitches nor to notify us the actual attempts they are gonna make mr. genius.

Players have voice to complain when devs provide such inconvinience or make little progress compared to their expectation. 5(4 unscheduled apparently) maintenances in 12 days isn’t normal in any online game.
    Dnaman101
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited June 2019
    Andromedy wrote: »

No, I'd prefer they not break the game in the first place. Why does EVERY patch go hellaciously wrong. Fixing like one problem every 2 days. I swear the game has been down more than it's been up recently. Can people really not live without a legion for like a week until they can compile a bigger list to fix?

Because the game is 15 damn years old. That's a decade and a half of constant content additions, constant cycling of old and new hands on the code of the game, the game is a goddamned mess and the fact that it even runs in a stable form at all is a miracle. It's not as simple as "oh I see, we just change this 0 to a 1 and the game is perfect forever". You change a 0 to a 1 and five other 0's and 1's in some completely unrelated segment of the game take issue with it.
    MorningAfterSevenFuhreakKrimlock
  • AndromedyAndromedy
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited June 2019

Because the game is 15 damn years old. That's a decade and a half of constant content additions, constant cycling of old and new hands on the code of the game, the game is a goddamned mess and the fact that it even runs in a stable form at all is a miracle. It's not as simple as "oh I see, we just change this 0 to a 1 and the game is perfect forever". You change a 0 to a 1 and five other 0's and 1's in some completely unrelated segment of the game take issue with it.

15 years and you'd think they'd learn how their game functions and changes. New staff or not. This is the only game I've ever played that goes down C O N S T A N T L Y. It's really pretty ridiculous.
    EXdestWONDERGUY
  • MorningAfterSevenMorningAfterSeven
    Reactions: 1,125
    edited June 2019
    Guys, anyone with a little knowleg about dev know that it's shocking they are able to solve most problems/bugs/glitches in just a few hours.
    Just think of the tens of thousands of lines of dialogues.
    I don't even want to know how many ; and ( ) are in the code itself.

Years ago they made server maintenance every thursday afternoon. That was annoying.
    FuhreakWONDERGUY
  • EXdestEXdest
    edited June 2019
    Guys, anyone with a little knowleg about dev know that it's shocking they are able to solve most problems/bugs/glitches in just a few hours.

Years ago they made server maintenance every thursday afternoon. That was annoying.

You think maplestory is the only game that has massive codes and features to consider, causing massive bugs? I have no trouble of getting such stupid number of maintenances in any other games. I can tell how bad MS devs are especially the ones in KMS like Wind Archer's Howling Gale for example had a serious glitch since its release as its number-of-hits was 1 instead of 3? or when the devs didn't really care fixing the glitch fast enough which allow people to summon papulatus outside of its spawning zone? https://theqoo.net/square/1018378477.

"Years ago they made server maintenance every thursday afternoon."
    Just because the situation was worse back then, doesn't mean we have to stop complaining about it. Unstable server was and still is one of the big reasons why many people quit and never return to this game. 5 maintenances in 12 days is not usual. People no matter which game they play has been and will continue to complain if the server is so unstable or requires too much time for maintenance.
  • Drakeos99Drakeos99
    Reactions: 1,625
    edited June 2019
    I prefer have less buggy game btw so unsched maint is good for me since i can take break and chill on discord or do IRL stuff (Or sleep) and these fixes are needed if people complains (bug forum)
  • TwilightHimeTwilightHime
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited June 2019

The fact that they are able to solve multiple problem "within hours" suggests they were not difficult to resolve once they were identified.

And given some of the issues being addressed each time, it's strange that they were not identified prior to releasing it to production. And I'm not talking about some obscure NPC introduced 10 years ago on a map that is rarely visited; there are sometimes issues with new content being added! You'd think those would be easier to test than existing content.
    SlicedTime
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    The fact that they are able to solve multiple problem "within hours" suggests they were not difficult to resolve once they were identified.

Think of it like a bad fuse. You know exactly what it is when someone reports that the power went out on a certain floor, you know exactly how to fix it.
    But the actual underlying issues would cost so much to fix, it's easier to just replace the fuse every time it goes out. That's MapleStory in a nutshell.
    15 years and you'd think they'd learn how their game functions and changes. New staff or not. This is the only game I've ever played that goes down C O N S T A N T L Y. It's really pretty ridiculous.

You clearly haven't played many games. I've played equally as bad and some much worse games.
    If you think the code is code regardless of new staff or not, I seriously hope you never have to be a programmer who takes over for an old team lead.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited June 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    You clearly haven't played many games. I've played equally as bad and some much worse games.
    If you think the code is code regardless of new staff or not, I seriously hope you never have to be a programmer who takes over for an old team lead.

Code is code. Where the problems come into play, however, is that everyone handles the code in their own personal way. 15 years of the code changing an unknowable number of hands, with an unknowable number of personal quirks with regards to how they feel code should be handled starts to add up.

I wish the people who flip a cow over numerous unscheduled maintenance periods played when el nath just straight up broke for three or four days, for no outwardly-discernible reason at that. It was a routine maintenance, ended on time with no unforeseen complications. Except, y'know, that if anyone entered el nath with an android or familiar(or pet I think?) out, they crashed. They sidestepped it, briefly, by implanting a tower of oz effect on the map that would forcefully recall your familiars and whatnot.

The point, in fewer words, is that this game is old as hell and has had innumerable different hands touching its source code. That adds up to things not being as simple as "change this line here and you're done".
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019

Code is code. Where the problems come into play, however, is that everyone handles the code in their own personal way. 15 years of the code changing an unknowable number of hands, with an unknowable number of personal quirks with regards to how they feel code should be handled starts to add up.

I wish the people who flip a cow over numerous unscheduled maintenance periods played when el nath just straight up broke for three or four days, for no outwardly-discernible reason at that. It was a routine maintenance, ended on time with no unforeseen complications. Except, y'know, that if anyone entered el nath with an android or familiar(or pet I think?) out, they crashed. They sidestepped it, briefly, by implanting a tower of oz effect on the map that would forcefully recall your familiars and whatnot.

The point, in fewer words, is that this game is old as hell and has had innumerable different hands touching its source code. That adds up to things not being as simple as "change this line here and you're done".

This is what I meant. Ask about any programmer and they'll tell you that all other programmers are hell. Code is code, sure.
    But code can be written in so many different ways that code styles can actually conflict and lead to more errors.
    For example, some people think goto is fine, others will pratically disown you for even suggesting it sarcastically.
  • TwilightHimeTwilightHime
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited June 2019
    Think of it like a bad fuse. You know exactly what it is when someone reports that the power went out on a certain floor, you know exactly how to fix it.
    But the actual underlying issues would cost so much to fix, it's easier to just replace the fuse every time it goes out. That's MapleStory in a nutshell.

If I'm replacing a lightbulb, I would test to make sure the lightbulb at least works after I put it in.
    I don't mind maintenance, but some of the bugs being reported sound like they would've been caught during testing.

If the argument is it costs too much to get testers on a payroll, I'm sure there are plenty of people that would volunteer to play on some sort of test server in exchange for in-game rewards.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019

If I'm replacing a lightbulb, I would test to make sure the lightbulb at least works after I put it in.
    I don't mind maintenance, but some of the bugs being reported sound like they would've been caught during testing.

If the argument is it costs too much to get testers on a payroll, I'm sure there are plenty of people that would volunteer to play on some sort of test server in exchange for in-game rewards.

We've had test servers in the past and bugs that were reported still don't get fixed in time.
    Nexon just can't seem to get anything right when it comes to stopping these bugs.
    Sometimes test servers have slight differences from live servers that actually create bugs when patched over on a live server.
    It could be this, but given how often it happens, it's more likely imo they just don't have the funds/time to do much testing so they just go in, play for a few minutes and slap an A-Okay label on it.

I'd love to see the test server be a regular thing over here. Hopefully one day Nexon (or their budget) will agree with that.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited June 2019

We've had test servers in the past and bugs that were reported still don't get fixed in time.
    Nexon just can't seem to get anything right when it comes to stopping these bugs.
    Sometimes test servers have slight differences from live servers that actually create bugs when patched over on a live server.
    It could be this, but given how often it happens, it's more likely imo they just don't have the funds/time to do much testing so they just go in, play for a few minutes and slap an A-Okay label on it.

I'd love to see the test server be a regular thing over here. Hopefully one day Nexon (or their budget) will agree with that.

I think another factor is that they don't have the means to test every last little thing that could create some kind of problem. It sucks fat ass but it's easier to find things that are broken to high hell and back by opening it up to the masses.

If a test server could be set up and people didn't abuse it by finding beneficial bugs and keeping them under wraps, allowing it to hit live servers(the unofficial-official reason why there's no test server), then it'd be great.
  • CrsCrs
    Reactions: 790
    edited June 2019

They done that and let me tell you one thing...

1.It failed

No one reported the bugs, most people exploited said bugs when it came to the live server.

Test server was named tespia
  • DiximaNDiximaN
    Reactions: 1,390
    edited June 2019
    Well, another maintenance is behind us, Lomien are still buggy, but hey AT LEAST WE DON'T HAVE PERMA KISH ANYMORE! HURRAH NEXON! TAKING CARE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUES like bringing back 2pc meta again!
    kxnq6biysx631.jpg
    jli17svrbl631.png
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited June 2019
    DiximaN wrote: »
    Well, another maintenance is behind us, Lomien are still buggy, but hey AT LEAST WE DON'T HAVE PERMA KISH ANYMORE! HURRAH NEXON! TAKING CARE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUES like bringing back 2pc meta again!
    -MEME SNIP-

You'd think concurrent per-IP connections would be more of a server strain than 50% more mobs per popular training map... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    DiximaN wrote: »
    Well, another maintenance is behind us, Lomien are still buggy, but hey AT LEAST WE DON'T HAVE PERMA KISH ANYMORE!

Good. I can't make a point of not using Kanna/Frenzy item if people are glitching the maps.
  • ShokunKaYoShokunKaYo
    Reactions: 1,470
    edited July 2019
    How many more maint are we gonna get?

Nexon: YES