[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Some more consideration for players with potatoes?

нσяιƶεηнσяιƶεη
Reactions: 655
edited July 2019 in General Chat
I have a potato... PC. It’s bad, like really, really bad. I’ve been rocking the same HP Pavilion 500 for 5+ years and it’s not getting any bit faster so when I tried creating an Ark character, it totally sucked. Yeah, those flying sand particles that are present in literally every map at the start besides the base camp? Total FPS assassin. Literally cannot play because I’m ranging anywhere between 2-7 frames. Just wish there were settings to disable things like eye candy- or maybe there is and I’m blind, in which case could someone kindly point me to where that is?

Comments

• darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited July 2019
    I also have an old laptop but i got it fixed, memory expanded, installed an ssd and atill lagfed on those maps, so it might not be the computer but the map that is badly programmed :S
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited July 2019
    darik wrote: »
    I also have an old laptop but i got it fixed, memory expanded, installed an ssd and atill lagfed on those maps, so it might not be the computer but the map that is badly programmed :S

It's already well known that the game is poorly optimized, so you can go ahead and nix the "might be the game" part.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

It's already well known that the game is poorly optimized, so you can go ahead and nix the "might be the game" part.

Sadly there isn't much they can do about the rendering aspect of the game.
    MapleStory works by layering images on top of images to create things like your character.
    This is also how the backgrounds/maps are done, so the more complex a map the more lag it's going to have.
    It does make you wonder why there isn't an option to disable useless backgrounds features outright, though.

It doesn't/won't affect most people on newer computers, so just add this to the list of "Not worth fixing"
  • fidgetspinnerACEfidgetspinnerACE
    Reactions: 1,465
    edited July 2019
    I know KMS makes content that, if it works for them, that's good enough. And I would agree with them. That being said, being on the short end of the stick, I find not being able to Ursus, or having to lag and freeze for 10+seconds to get Legion coins, or have certain bosses bug out with all the effects staying longer than they should have really makes me question if these problems could have been solved with a little more foresight.
    Fuhreak
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited July 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Aggraphine wrote: »

Sadly there isn't much they can do about the rendering aspect of the game.
    MapleStory works by layering images on top of images to create things like your character.
    This is also how the backgrounds/maps are done, so the more complex a map the more lag it's going to have.
    It does make you wonder why there isn't an option to disable useless backgrounds features outright, though.

It doesn't/won't affect most people on newer computers, so just add this to the list of "Not worth fixing"

Hey remember when they had the option to completely disable skill effects and damage lines from other players? Remember how it was actually really helpful?

And then they dumpstered it for a goddamned transparency slider that does absolutely nothing but make things harder to see.
    Fuhreak
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited July 2019
    GMS its allready poor optimized for good machines so good luck geting help with lower end systems
    code broke 2years ago or so, that much that right now even if you lower ingame graphic/skill effect wont do noting but visual blurriness
    the moment they started makeing those "live" background it got worse

i envy the dev team how they still more or less work on fixing things or temporary fix it just so the game survive a month or two longer....
    also
    poor korean team that has to dig inside someone else rotten spagheti code and carefully find few good things to connect so we can eat a bit ...

in other hand hackers optimise the game as they want.... cant imageine what a shame it's that for nexon dev team...
    hackers can fast cc
    while it takes few attempts for us and few sec to load
    hackers runing the game all fine
    while our clients cant stay online for more then 30min without memory leak or dc
    hackers had fixed pet loot/quest lag way before nexon fixed....

dedication hackers has for maplestory its crazy lol going that far and even doing nexon job for themself

• darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited July 2019
    A month or 2 longer? Dude in kms is one of the most played games and gms has quite a decent population,so maplestory isnt going anywhere
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2019
    A month or 2 longer? Dude in kms is one of the most played games and gms has quite a decent population,so maplestory isnt going anywhere

True but the mentality that players have does make you feel like it's always on its last leg.
    Despite the fact that things aren't actually that bad and there are far worse run games that used to be big like MS.
    Looking at you, Ragnarok Online.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited July 2019

True but the mentality that players have does make you feel like it's always on its last leg.
    Despite the fact that things aren't actually that bad and there are far worse run games that used to be big like MS.

its just years long kept frustration, "give them chance they will improve " ~ in a month its geting worse ...
    not only that GMS its not first or alone... when you see other servers running and doing better or a bit better and GMS its sleeping on that

just look how far KMS/KMST goes ---> @@@@@@@@

while GMS its on that old mindset " players wont report bug and just abuse them.... "
    sure now you let all those bugs on live anyway and players abuse it without any action or in most of the case maplers cant play it because its to damn broken.....

thats just first problem server/bugs
    what about 2nd one p2w geting worse and worse each year
    3rd one hackers ....?
    darik
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2019
    I too play on a potato. In every PC Game I play, I have to find a way to turn off hardware rendering, or my PC will blue screen.

I also need my graphics to medium or low. Not sure if V-Syncing will effect performance or not, but even if it does or doesn't, nothing is guaranteed when it comes to playing PC games on a potato.

Maple is always a hit-or-miss when it comes to crashing, but I feel most of it is my potato.

Full screen is a guaranteed freeze on all games I play.

But yeah having to cross my fingers to play any PC game in hopes I don't blue screen is something I wish I never have to do but it is inevitable .
  • fidgetspinnerACEfidgetspinnerACE
    Reactions: 1,465
    edited July 2019

I feel that, more or less, players are just hoping Maple gets better and they're just tolerating what they have now, knowing that Nexon has the power to do better. Whether that tolerance is more towards being satisfied, indifference, or even loathing, I'm sure Nexon is aware of this restlessness. Doesn't really matter though.
    WONDERGUYFuhreak