[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Trying to understand the stats of my class . . .

JostabeereJostabeere
Reactions: 650
edited September 2019 in General Chat
So I am kinda new to Maplestory again. I played it a bit maybe a decade ago. Now I am just above 70 and I am wondering about some stuff other sites couldn't tell me.

-The 4 main stats. STR, INT, DEX and LCK. Do they do anything else besides raising the base damage of the corresponding class? Like INT giving mana regen or more mana?
-Is there any sense to levelling HP or MP? I can spend my AP on them, can't I?
-I am very confused about how stats actually improve anything. I always forgot to level them up. Yesterday I grinded a lot and looked at my damage numbers. Around 3-4K per hit with the Fairy Dust skill or whatever it's called on my Wind Archer. After I dumped 60 points into DEX, I did the same damage to the same monsters. Why? Shouldn't I do much more, or even noticeably more damage? 60 points are a lot. So I'm questioning the usefulness of the stat. If they don't change the damage of my skills whatsoever, wouldn't skilling HP and MP be smarter?

Edit: Also to squeeze this one unrelated question in. I started to play on Luna because I thought reboot is a rever which reboots itself once in a while. Was this a mistake? Is reboot a better server to play on?

Comments

• HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited September 2019
    To go one by one...
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    -The 4 main stats. STR, INT, DEX and LCK. Do they do anything else besides raising the base damage of the corresponding class? Like INT giving mana regen or more mana?
    After Tempest you only have one main stat and one sub stat, everything else is useless. For a Wind Archer you use auto assign to get everything into DEX and that's it. Your secondary stat is STR and every 4 STR = 1 DEX. You never use AP on anything besides your main stat. Your main stat is what increases your range, aka your damage.
    -Is there any sense to levelling HP or MP? I can spend my AP on them, can't I?
    You can but you shouldn't. Any AP spent in HP/MP is lost forever and it will make your character weaker than others on the same level as you, and it is a permanent loss. Why do we have that option for anyone but Demon Avenger who uses HP is beyond me and it is a serious beginners trap.

-I am very confused about how stats actually improve anything. I always forgot to level them up. Yesterday I grinded a lot and looked at my damage numbers. Around 3-4K per hit with the Fairy Dust skill or whatever it's called on my Wind Archer. After I dumped 60 points into DEX, I did the same damage to the same monsters. Why? Shouldn't I do much more, or even noticeably more damage? 60 points are a lot. So I'm questioning the usefulness of the stat. If they don't change the damage of my skills whatsoever, wouldn't skilling HP and MP be smarter?
    Again don't spent anything on HP/MP. The amount of damage a skill does is less dependent on amount of main stat you have and more dependent on the Range you have, which are the min-max numbers on the left of your stat window. Skills do some amount of x% of that range and it can either do the highest or lowest possible amount of it. I'm not sure of the math behind it, but your main stat increases that range slowly and equipment bumps it up depending on how high the stat is. You still need the most stat possible as later on your main objective will be to get STAT% gear, and, as you can imagine, the more stat you have the stronger you'll get with that gear.
    Edit: Also to squeeze this one unrelated question in. I started to play on Luna because I thought reboot is a rever which reboots itself once in a while. Was this a mistake? Is reboot a better server to play on?
    Reboot is a special server where different rules apply compared to the normal server.
    *You cannot trade with other players, and there is no Auction House. The only way to grow is by your own merit.
    *Monsters are stronger and give more EXP/Meso than the normal server
    *There is no Cash Shop for stat boosting items, only for cosmetics.
    *Items can only be given potential, flames and stars. There are no scroll boosts.
    *Potential resets can be bought using Meso instead of IRL cash.

In Reboot the grind is longer, and you cannot get gear from others to make progression faster. However it is really F2P friendly as all the progression is done without cash and cubes are available in the Henesys shop. Picking between normal servers and Reboot depends on whether or not you want to use cash to make the grind faster, or if you want to go solo for most of the game.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited September 2019
    So I am kinda new to Maplestory again. I played it a bit maybe a decade ago. Now I am just above 70 and I am wondering about some stuff other sites couldn't tell me.

-The 4 main stats. STR, INT, DEX and LCK. Do they do anything else besides raising the base damage of the corresponding class? Like INT giving mana regen or more mana? Nope. No more secondary effects from stats, just damage output now. Not sure when it happened, but it's been a while.
    -Is there any sense to levelling HP or MP? I can spend my AP on them, can't I? You can spend your points on them, but unless you're a demon avenger there's no tangible benefit
    -I am very confused about how stats actually improve anything. I always forgot to level them up. Yesterday I grinded a lot and looked at my damage numbers. Around 3-4K per hit with the Fairy Dust skill or whatever it's called on my Wind Archer. After I dumped 60 points into DEX, I did the same damage to the same monsters. Why? Shouldn't I do much more, or even noticeably more damage? 60 points are a lot. So I'm questioning the usefulness of the stat. If they don't change the damage of my skills whatsoever, wouldn't skilling HP and MP be smarter? Having more hp and not being a demon avenger is ultimately pointless. 60 stat isn't much anymore, especially if it's not affected by item potentials. You also said you're around level 70, 3-4k per line is about average for someone at that level with, I assume, level-appropriate gear equipped, and no extras like link skills or legion pieces

Replies in bold.

As to your reboot question, no it doesn't restart itself. You can find some info on the server here, but keep in mind that some things may have changed in almost four years. And to explain my reference to the legion board, check here. Keeping in mind, once again, that it may not be 100% accurate two years down the road. They should give you at least a general idea though.

I'm not sure how to explain why dumping ap into hp/mp is a pointless endeavor. I could start with the fact that, beyond a certain level, all boss content deals damage in percentages, and that defense is significantly more pointless than it was years ago. Your best bet at this point, really, is to simply treat the game as an entirely new experience. Don't try to "I haven't played in a decade, what's changed?" because the simple answer to that question is "goddamned everything".
  • TwilightHimeTwilightHime
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited September 2019
    Your main stat increases your damage. Secondary increases also, but not as much.
    A lot of features in the game will grant you % stat bonus, which will give you huge boosts in your main stat.

If you have 100% dex bonus, adding 60 dex will give you roughly another 60 dex.
    If you have 500% dex bonus, that same 60 dex will give you roughly another 300 dex.

So the more dex you have, the more bonus you get. There are even more percentages that will further increase your damage, so a single point of dex could represent 1000 or 10000 increase in damage once you start really racking up those bonuses.

I'd say it's an acceptable compromise to have a little less HP, compared to a lot more damage. Training might be difficult if you're dying in one or two hits, but in that case I'd look for equips that grant HP bonus directly for that extra HP.
  • wthNoIDwthNoID
    Reactions: 970
    edited September 2019
    people tend to focus on main stat and well break down of how it works

main stat raises damage (their is a 2nd variable here more on this later)

2ndary stat rarely used not worth points long run brings min~max damage closer
    ideal out put for this is inner potential filler line like rolling for X% main stat into you 2ndary stat
    and base gear stats.... so if im running say my one my mage classes i want inner potential filler line to be X% int into luk and for item stats i want high int and luk (tho luk is not needed as much) int is better stat to have... in case of any mage class

the other factor that's into play i see a lot people lack
    att/m.att (depending on class) this is still needed and in a ton of cases you cant get it all just from your weapons
    scrolls for attack have major impact but are much rarer for say armor

att/m.att pretty much simply put improves how much damage you can gain from your main stat
    ideally you want to balance this with main stat (but hard to scroll/find scrolls now days meaning best options being tyrant gear and your weapon/android heart)

so early off low levels adding 60+ main stat wont see a big incress due to lack of weapon attack or magic attack
    while later holding off on 60+main stat will incress damage quite a bit compared to early levels
    (but at later levels its not that big unless you have perfect balance of %main stat and att