[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Get rid of the option to deactivate accounts...

MuhhhMuhhh
Reactions: 710
edited September 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
So my account that i have had since around 2010 was most likely hacked and whoever it was asked for my account to be "deactivated" and apparently this cannot be reverted at all! Even know this was not me. I was just told this by one of the GM's : "I understand that you want to recover your account. However, as GM **** said we are unable to recover this account as this was deactivated. We do hope for your understanding on this matter." WHY IS THIS EVEN A OPTION!!!!????

https://support-maplestory.nexon.net/hc/en-us/articles/360000698823-How-can-I-delete-or-deactivate-my-account-
  1. Should this be an even be an option???11 votes
    1. Yes.
       36% (4 votes)
    2. No.
       64% (7 votes)

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    If you're done with a game, and really, 100% done with said game, this needs to be an option.
    Companies like Nexon shouldn't be allowed to keep your personal data forever simply because you played a forever ago.
    I would go as far as to say that it should be illegal (if it isn't already) for any online company to not include this option.
    Whoever "hacked" your account had to know a lot of information about you or got in touch with a GM that said "Good enough" on that data they were asked for.
    It shouldn't have happened, no. But this isn't the intended use of this option.

Just like people are complaining about nerfs within game due to the abuse of bots/hackers, this too shouldn't be removed simply because some people abuse it.
  • MuhhhMuhhh
    Reactions: 710
    edited September 2019
    But nexon still has my characters on the rankings and claims they still have the data for these characters so I don’t exactly understand
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    If you're done with a game, and really, 100% done with said game, this needs to be an option.
    Companies like Nexon shouldn't be allowed to keep your personal data forever simply because you played a forever ago.
    I would go as far as to say that it should be illegal (if it isn't already) for any online company to not include this option.
    Whoever "hacked" your account had to know a lot of information about you or got in touch with a GM that said "Good enough" on that data they were asked for.
    It shouldn't have happened, no. But this isn't the intended use of this option.

Just like people are complaining about nerfs within game due to the abuse of bots/hackers, this too shouldn't be removed simply because some people abuse it.

But nexon still has my characters on the rankings and claims they still have the data for these characters. And as for having enough information, Nexon won’t tell me ANYTHING about how the account was closed I have I have requested as little as a picture of the time I “decided to deactivate my account” and they refused to show that. So how can someone tell they did not just delete just by someone asking once?
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    Muhhh wrote: »
    But nexon still has my characters on the rankings and claims they still have the data for these characters. And as for having enough information, Nexon won’t tell me ANYTHING about how the account was closed I have I have requested as little as a picture of the time I “decided to deactivate my account” and they refused to show that. So how can someone tell they did not just delete just by someone asking once?

Rankings may be tied to different data, or they may take longer to update.
    As far as asking them to tell information, deleting accounts is there to protect people who no longer wish to be associated with Nexon.
    By asking them for information about such or to restore an account like that, you're defeating the purpose of the account deactivation.
    If you really lost your account like this I can only imagine it being possible due to one of two reasons.

Either you shared your account or information too freely and got trolled hard, or someone at Nexon really f'd up and allowed a hacker to delete an account.
    Eitherway, I can't really see you getting your account back as they probably purge various databases required to restore said account.
    If you were able to get it back it would probably be missing stuff such as items/equipments/characters or what have you that would make it pretty much worthless anyway.

It's long past due that Nexon got some better 2factor auth on these things, this I can agree on.
    Good luck with either getting your account back or however you have to move this issue forward.

Edit: As I mentioned before, there may be legal reasons behind these things.
    For some reading on why Nexon might include this feature and what that may mean legally, here are some links.

http://www.privacysense.net/personal-information-deleted-pipeda/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_be_forgotten
    https://paytechlaw.com/en/data-deletion-policies-under-the-gdpr/

This is not to say that Nexon legally has to offer this option, I'm not a lawyer.
    But it may be easier to just allow people this option than get into potential legal trouble.

If you're going to press this issue, (I would) ask to speak to higher ups and be as nice about it as possible.
    The sooner you can get a response from someone higher up the better, as your data is less likely to have been purged.
  • JumpLowJumpLow
    Reactions: 610
    edited September 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Muhhh wrote: »

Rankings may be tied to different data, or they may take longer to update.
    As far as asking them to tell information, deleting accounts is there to protect people who no longer wish to be associated with Nexon.
    By asking them for information about such or to restore an account like that, you're defeating the purpose of the account deactivation.
    If you really lost your account like this I can only imagine it being possible due to one of two reasons.

Either you shared your account or information too freely and got trolled hard, or someone at Nexon really f'd up and allowed a hacker to delete an account.
    Eitherway, I can't really see you getting your account back as they probably purge various databases required to restore said account.
    If you were able to get it back it would probably be missing stuff such as items/equipments/characters or what have you that would make it pretty much worthless anyway.

It's long past due that Nexon got some better 2factor auth on these things, this I can agree on.
    Good luck with either getting your account back or however you have to move this issue forward.

Edit: As I mentioned before, there may be legal reasons behind these things.
    For some reading on why Nexon might include this feature and what that may mean legally, here are some links.

http://www.privacysense.net/personal-information-deleted-pipeda/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_be_forgotten
    https://paytechlaw.com/en/data-deletion-policies-under-the-gdpr/

This is not to say that Nexon legally has to offer this option, I'm not a lawyer.
    But it may be easier to just allow people this option than get into potential legal trouble.

If you're going to press this issue, (I would) ask to speak to higher ups and be as nice about it as possible.
    The sooner you can get a response from someone higher up the better, as your data is less likely to have been purged.

Have you ever spoken with a higher up? and how would I do that? :o
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    JumpLow wrote: »
    Have you ever spoken with a higher up? and how would I do that? :o

Ask to get your ticket or issued elevated to a senior GM, results may vary.
    Sorry if by "higher up" you thought I meant someone outside of the GM team, but hey, it couldn't hurt to ask for those too.
    If they were to actually let you speak to someone "higher up" then that's cool, but I doubt it.
  • ApocalyptianApocalyptian
    Reactions: 2,330
    edited October 2019
    We had to have them recover my account after I was gone for 2 years. That was an emotional few days knowing that if I lost my main acc I wouldn't have the patience to start over.
    Even the email address on it was expired long ago. Total mess. But the GMs were understanding and changed the email address for me and recovered my account after proving without a doubt that it was mine (we even had to send them a picture of my driver's license and passport) ya know just in case. I even sent them a long list of every character and what they were on the account as well. I am pretty sure that impressed them lol! But it just took a few days and a few GMs to look it all over, they got back to me and my husband about it and everything worked out fine.
    We had to recover a few more of my random accounts on our own afterwards using the email address and all that having no issues.
    If anything I think there may be a time limit on how long an account can sit without it being logged in, who knows maybe deactivating it is how they move it to a different server.
    Overall I have to say I am still grateful they did that for me.