[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Message to people looking for "STRONGEST JOB"

Penguinz0Penguinz0
Reactions: 3,220
edited September 2019 in General Chat
I've seen many posts asking which job is strongest in bossing, which job is strongest in mobbing, or which job is stronger in comparison.
Here's the thing, there's no solid, singular answer. It's all different based on different situations.

Which job is strongest in mobbing? Well, what level are you planning on going to? Are you going to stop at 200, or are you going to keep leveling up beyond 200? DawnWarrior's mobbing is fantastic below 200 and suck at above 200, while marksman mobbing is crap below 200, but is really good at above 200. If you're planning on going beyond 200, which level region are you talking about (200-210, 220-225, 230-235, 235-250, or 250-275)? Zero's mobbing ability at 220-225 region is not good but starts to go up as maps change in 225-275 region. And how strong are you planning on making your character? Classes like Blaze Wizard and Evan's mobbing ability can either be godly or hellish depending on whether or not you can do one shot kill.

Which job is strongest in bossing? Well, again, how strong are you going to make your character? There are classes like Evan who are "weaker than most when not funded, stronger than most when funded" types. And to what boss are you planning on running? Are you just planning on c.vel, n lotus/damien, lucid/will, verus hilla, or even all the way to black mage? Demon Avenger is pretty decent in CRA, but becomes extremely unviable as you go to high tier bosses. What aspect of strength in bossing are you looking for? Are you looking for good damage, good survivability, good utilities, good party synergy or etc?

Let's say you have all the answer to these questions. Even if you're know all these factors inside and out, it's not gonna matter because a single patch note can change everything. Kanna, whose job name is often confused to be kishin by a few people, became pretty good after revamp. Classes like Night Walker and Angelic Buster, whose damage output was once known to be opaf, have all gone through series of nerf patches. Classes like Dawn Warrior, Wind Archer or Dual Blades, whose main mobbing skills aren't that great, got buff patches that made mobbing abilities better and are going to get more buff patches in the future.

The point is that there's not really a solid singular answer to which job is "strongest" and it's foolish to pick a main based on things like that. Best thing to do is to pick a job that you like and enjoy. If you really enjoy a job, whether it's strong or not, you'll be able to invest and fund the character easily. Even if it's a weak character, it's probably gonna get buff patches that will balance it out in the future. If you play "strong" job, but doesn't enjoy playing it, you're simply going to quit the game (wait....this is the best case scenario actually hmm). Or worse, you enjoy your "strong" class, invest a lot of time and money into it, then gets nerfed to the ground.

Comments

• wthNoIDwthNoID
    Reactions: 970
    edited September 2019
    Penguinz0 wrote: »
    There are classes like Evan who are "weaker than most when not funded, stronger than most when funded".

you sure you played a evan?
    weaker then most?... they are one the strongest unfunded classes...
    mobility they kinda lack mobility...
    end game funding tho probably one hardest to get massive improvements

like point out unfunded pretty much is using what you get if your new world no other items characters and playing f2p
    while funding is pretty much tossing everything at game/items to scroll/cube to high/highest potentials
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    edited September 2019
    wthNoID wrote: »
    There are classes like Evan who are "weaker than most when not funded, stronger than most when funded".

like point out unfunded pretty much is using what you get if your new world no other items characters and playing f2p
    while funding is pretty much tossing everything at game/items to scroll/cube to high/highest potentials

Only played Evan to 203. He was decent but he didn't feel like "one of the strongest unfunded classes" to me since there are plenty other mules I've trained who were much stronger with same legion mule gears (boss acc, 4cra, tyrant cape, either necro/cyg gloves and shoes with good bstat, all epic pot with 2 lines). Did love 5th jobs skills with incredible burst dmg (which is why I said strong when funded). I didn't really try much bossing (ez cyg, cra except c.vel, and I had to rely HEAVILY on 5th skills to beat them), but I know friends who hardcore main Evan and they seem to be sweeping floors in both mobbing and bossing to the point I couldn't believe the mule I trained had such potential (wind flash one shot kill level). Call it a bad example, if you think Evan is still stronger than most classes when unfunded. The point is that there are job types whose abilities skyrockets from bottom when funded well, like phantom, xenon, bw, and shade.
  • AaronHuskyAaronHusky
    Reactions: 2,485
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    DawnWarrior's mobbing is fantastic below 200 and suck at above 200, while marksman mobbing is crap below 200, but is really good at above 200.

Dawn Warrior is actually a ridiculous mobber post 5th job. Once you max Celestial Dance, the downtime for rotating Eclipse > Rift > Celestial Dance is only about a minute (maybe less?).
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    Think you made a swing and a miss. You're right on the subject, but you shouldn't have dived into the subjective areas.
    Just leave the OP as "All classes are viable. Period."
    AaronHusky
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    edited September 2019
    AaronHusky wrote: »
    DawnWarrior's mobbing is fantastic below 200 and suck at above 200, while marksman mobbing is crap below 200, but is really good at above 200.

Dawn Warrior is actually a ridiculous mobber post 5th job. Once you max Celestial Dance, the downtime for rotating Eclipse > Rift > Celestial Dance is only about a minute (maybe less?).

lol DW was my main that i got it up to 225. He is not a "ridiculous mobber." Celestial Dance or not, Divide and Pierce suk major @ss as mobbing skill. The only merit is that you can one shot kill mobs pretty easily with it. Though PF update patch made the action delay slightly shorter and area slightly bigger, it still falls behind a lot of other jobs in terms of mobbing in 200s region (especially past 220). It can compete to be in midlow-mid in mobbing ranking if you can get one shot kill with 3rd job skill.
  • AaronHuskyAaronHusky
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019

lol DW was my main that i got it up to 225. He is not a "ridiculous mobber." Celestial Dance or not, Divide and Pierce suk major @ss as mobbing skill. The only merit is that you can one shot kill mobs pretty easily with it. Though PF update patch made the action delay slightly shorter and area slightly bigger, it still falls behind a lot of other jobs in terms of mobbing in 200s region (especially past 220). It can compete to be in midlow-mid in mobbing ranking if you can get one shot kill with 3rd job skill.

I don't know about that one chief. Divide and Pierce cover a pretty good area if you flash jump while using it. I have a video of myself training at Cavern Upper Path here too.

darik
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited September 2019

I don't know about that one chief. Divide and Pierce cover a pretty good area if you flash jump while using it. I have a video of myself training at Cavern Upper Path here too.

I need to try that map, i usually train at upper path 1 with the 3rd job skill , but this map looks good too :O
  • wthNoIDwthNoID
    Reactions: 970
    edited September 2019
    wthNoID wrote: »

Only played Evan to 203. He was decent but he didn't feel like "one of the strongest unfunded classes" to me since there are plenty other mules I've trained who were much stronger with same legion mule gears (boss acc, 4cra, tyrant cape, either necro/cyg gloves and shoes with good bstat, all epic pot with 2 lines). Did love 5th jobs skills with incredible burst dmg (which is why I said strong when funded). I didn't really try much bossing (ez cyg, cra except c.vel, and I had to rely HEAVILY on 5th skills to beat them), but I know friends who hardcore main Evan and they seem to be sweeping floors in both mobbing and bossing to the point I couldn't believe the mule I trained had such potential (wind flash one shot kill level). Call it a bad example, if you think Evan is still stronger than most classes when unfunded. The point is that there are job types whose abilities skyrockets from bottom when funded well, like phantom, xenon, bw, and shade.

well
    by level 180ish you should have at least some items that count as simi funded XD
    buy yea if you play the game funding wise unfunded shouldn't last that long until you get into gray area that is very low funded lol

but yea in low funding /no funding range on a evan and almost all classes at 200+ arcane river content you will need that low/mid range funding
    evans one easiest to get in that range (hard part is breaking past mid funding)

you also have understand most funding is considered lv1~200 range past that concept stays same with characters
    evans easiest to fund passing mid funding range tho probably one the hardest (more gains early game, while late game gains are lower)

while you have other classes like Xenons
    where early game their harder to fund but late game easier (not best example) but funding wise it gives more late game then it does early

essentially thats how classes are rated on funding where and when you can gear them to basically gain decent if not godly range and how hard/easy it is to gain that range paired with how soon you can hit the range with bear minimum tossed in

evans can hit a early peek of decent damage range =/= low funding needed (even tho if you want godly or better they will take ton more past that point) still kinda minimum damage range to slay pretty much everything within lv1~200 bossing wise

easier way to think about it is evans need less % gear to slay (insert boss) then say xenon who needs more % gear
    funded/unfunded was never really considered for pure damage numbers tho just skills+ x funding to be able to take out a certain boss
    and most numbers are still from per-arcane river bosses
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    edited September 2019

Yeah I saw the vid. Like I said, Divide and Pierce hitbox sux. The effect of those skills make it look like the hit area is bigger than it actually is (that's why they recently patched it, which helped a little). Hit area becomes a bit better only when celestial dance is on. Before I go on, I'll say, however, that this DW is a huge improvement from the past due to buff patches (slight hitbox increase, delay decrease and new addition of solar eclipse), which I mentioned characters with bad mob skills will eventually get. These patches made grinding in Arcana and some fields in Morass bearable. The thing is that even with these improvements, DW is relatively still on the weak side of mobbing spectrum and definitely not "ridiculous mobber. With hitbox like that, it's not like DW has amazing mobility, assist mob skills, short cd AoE or 5th job with short cd. While DW's 5th skills are on cd, he only has pierce and divide to mob with, which is what makes him relatively weak at mobbing. This becomes more and more apparent at higher level fields where maps are getting bigger and bigger.

For example, here's a video of Blaster in the same map

Even though Blaster's main mob skill doesn't have much y-axis hitbox, he can make it up for it with insane mobility and short cd AoE (downside being that Blaster is hard af).

and this is video of Merc on the same map

Also goes on the top layer in the mob build, but she can frequently use bunch of other linking skills that have very big hitbox and also has great mobility that can assist her mobbing.

Nightwalker

Again, good mobility, assist mob stationary and projectile skills and shorter cd 5th job aoe.

KMS users made charts with # of mobs/hour in high level fields, and DW is always in the mid-low ranking and that's only if you can get one shot kill with 3rd job skills. That being said, all I'm saying is that DW is not "ridiculous mobber" as you make it out to be. People can still have satisfying mobbing time DW since buff patches made him a lot better (and more will probably come), his 5th jobs are great even with long cd, frenzy/fury totems exist in gms, and people can still get to 250 by grinding in Arcana (even if it's gonna take longer). My point is still the same: just play what you like.
    darik
  • AaronHuskyAaronHusky
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019

Yeah I saw the vid. Like I said, Divide and Pierce hitbox sux. The effect of those skills make it look like the hit area is bigger than it actually is (that's why they recently patched, which helped a little). Hit area becomes a bit better only when celestial dance is on. Before I go on, I'll say, however, that this DW is a huge improvement from the past due to buff patches (slight hitbox increase, delay decrease and new addition of solar eclipse), which I mentioned characters with bad mob skills will eventually get. These patches made grinding in Arcana and some fields in Morass bearable. The thing is that even with these improvements, DW is relatively still on the weak side of mobbing spectrum and definitely not "ridiculous mobber. With hitbox like that, it's not like DW has amazing mobility, assist mob skills, short cd AoE or 5th job with short cd. While DW's 5th skills are on cd, he only has pierce and divide to mob with, which is what makes him relatively weak at mobbing. This becomes more and more apparent at higher level fields where maps are getting bigger and bigger.

For example, here's a video of Blaster in the same map
    [Snip]
    Even though Blaster's main mob skill doesn't have much y-axis hitbox, he can make it up for it with insane mobility and short cd AoE (downside being that Blaster is hard af).

and this is video of Merc on the same map
    [Snip]
    Also goes on the top layer in the mob build, but she can frequently use bunch of other linking skills that have very big hitbox and also has great mobility that can assist her mobbing.

Nightwalker
    [Snip]
    Again, good mobility, assist mob stationary and projectile skills and shorter cd 5th job aoe.

KMS users made charts with # of mobs/hour in high level fields, and DW is always in the mid-low ranking and that's only if you can get one shot kill with 3rd job skills. That being said, all I'm saying is that DW is not "ridiculous mobber" as you make it out to be. People can still have satisfying mobbing time DW since buff patches made him a lot better (and more will probably come), his 5th jobs are great even with long cd, frenzy/fury totems exist in gms, and people can still get to 250 by grinding in Arcana (even if it's gonna take longer). My point is still the same: just play what you like.
    I saw the videos you linked and I agree that those classes have better mobbing DW. I will admit, me saying DW is a "ridiculous mobber" was an overstatement. But I do still think saying their mobbing sucks post-200 is inaccurate. Their mobility is fine too. They're no Merc, Ark, or Cadena, but a horizontal or vertical FJ and an instant reposition is good enough imo.

That being said, I do agree with your original point: play whatever you like. I also want to apologize for derailing the thread. I just felt that saying DW is a bad mobber post-200 is incorrect.
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited September 2019
    The sword is only as powerful as the wielder ;)