[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.252 - GO WEST! Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Gay Marriage in MapleStory GMS

FawkoFawko
Reactions: 2,360
Posts: 120
Member
edited September 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I suggest that this is added to allow players to be themselves in this game and marry whomever they can fall in love with regardless of gender. There's nothing more to say than that if the reason this is disallowed is South Korea's stance on gay marriage, I would like to point out that GMS is not KMS and we have differences, gay marriage could be one of them. Please hear me out Nexon, your players have been asking for this since marriage was added to MapleStory, show your support for your gay players by allowing them to marry.

Love, Fawko
darikSkyfall1989aufeuz

Comments

  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,490
    Posts: 1,570
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    If anything we need gender stripped from the game, not reinforced.
    Characters should just be characters without a gender tag since it affects literally nothing except cosmetics and this half-assed marriage system. As well as make the level range under 120 a pain due to gender specific gear.
    Supporting gay marriage is just a political thing that Nexon most likely does not care about.
    Stripping gender from the game actually does something more than just make a political statement, so let's aim for that one instead.

    Edit: Oh and because it seemed to be a popular statement in the thread we just had locked on this.
    If you have a significant other that also plays MapleStory, just cherish them irl instead.
    HuskyDMSkyfall1989YinYangXaufeuzKlara
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    Posts: 378
    Member
    edited September 2019
    Another one of these?

    We have more important matters to deal with like the server lag, bots, balance. Marriage in Maple is pointless and barely anyone even takes the time or money off their schedule to deal with it. Stripping gender is also a pointless endeavor, specially nowadays when all content is post 100 where armor stops being split.
    FuhreakKuronekonovaSkyfall1989xparasite9
  • FawkoFawko
    Reactions: 2,360
    Posts: 120
    Member
    edited September 2019
    I like how you say more important matters like this is an extremely hard and grusume thing to do. Why would you even be against this? It is not going to cost Nexon tons of time to do this. They are doing what they can to take care of the lag and bots, I can assure you that, look at the server markers when you log on and you'll see they are all empty in reg servers because the bots are gone for now.
    KuronekonovadarikSkyfall1989aufeuz
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,490
    Posts: 1,570
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    Fawko wrote: »
    I like how you say more important matters like this is an extremely hard and grusume thing to do. Why would you even be against this? It is not going to cost Nexon tons of time to do this.

    I'm against it if it's for political reasons. (Yes, this is a political issue.) However stripping the gender tag from the game isn't.
    This should also be equally as easy to do for Nexon. All they have to do is change all items to unisex as a quick fix.
    Marriage can also have its fix at the same time or slightly later depending on how much harder it is. (Still shouldn't be that hard.)
  • ACMBlackCipherACMBlackCipher
    Reactions: 1,690
    Posts: 104
    Member
    edited September 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Fawko wrote: »
    I like how you say more important matters like this is an extremely hard and grusume thing to do. Why would you even be against this? It is not going to cost Nexon tons of time to do this.

    I'm against it if it's for political reasons. (Yes, this is a political issue.) However stripping the gender tag from the game isn't.
    This should also be equally as easy to do for Nexon. All they have to do is change all items to unisex as a quick fix.
    Marriage can also have its fix at the same time or slightly later depending on how much harder it is. (Still shouldn't be that hard.)

    Nexon similarly has no reason to strip the gender tag either since, for lore reasons, some characters are gender locked to male or female. It defeats the purpose of Nexon locking these characters if you're just going to cross dress them anyway.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    Posts: 3,553
    Member
    edited September 2019
    Here's a question that is not asked nearly enough: why? Why does this need to be done? Can you give me one reason that is not political in nature and does not cite the current year?
    xparasite9
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,490
    Posts: 1,570
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    Nexon similarly has no reason to strip the gender tag either since, for lore reasons, some characters are gender locked to male or female. It defeats the purpose of Nexon locking these characters if you're just going to cross dress them anyway.

    I honestly don't care. I make my characters a certain gender for a reason.
    However if these people really want this change to happen they need to fight for more logical reasons than the "current year" and "get with the times" argument.
    I'm just trying to help with that.

    Also the "for the lore" argument is weak since we already have confirmed genders on a lot of characters that still have the gender switch.
    The best argument still is just "Nexon doesn't care to make political statements with MapleStory."
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    Posts: 3,553
    Member
    edited September 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Nexon similarly has no reason to strip the gender tag either since, for lore reasons, some characters are gender locked to male or female. It defeats the purpose of Nexon locking these characters if you're just going to cross dress them anyway.

    I honestly don't care. I make my characters a certain gender for a reason.
    However if these people really want this change to happen they need to fight for more logical reasons than the "current year" and "get with the times" argument.
    I'm just trying to help with that.

    Also the "for the lore" argument is weak since we already have confirmed genders on a lot of characters that still have the gender switch.
    The best argument still is just "Nexon doesn't care to make political statements with MapleStory."

    Someone will probably come in and cite the "Donald" npc being changed to whatever it is now. There's no evidence to show that it was anything other than a planned change that coincidentally happened right around the time that the US presidency went to a human dumpster fire.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Posts: 780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Nexon similarly has no reason to strip the gender tag either since, for lore reasons, some characters are gender locked to male or female. It defeats the purpose of Nexon locking these characters if you're just going to cross dress them anyway.

    I honestly don't care. I make my characters a certain gender for a reason.
    However if these people really want this change to happen they need to fight for more logical reasons than the "current year" and "get with the times" argument.
    I'm just trying to help with that.

    Also the "for the lore" argument is weak since we already have confirmed genders on a lot of characters that still have the gender switch.
    The best argument still is just "Nexon doesn't care to make political statements with MapleStory."

    Someone will probably come in and cite the "Donald" npc being changed to whatever it is now. There's no evidence to show that it was anything other than a planned change that coincidentally happened right around the time that the US presidency went to a human dumpster fire.

    Well.
    http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/20624/
    Several years ago, the MapleStory game team introduced a Non-Player Character (NPC) named Donald. To avoid any misunderstanding, we have decided to replace Donald with a new NPC with the same functionality. The new character will appear on March 1 during our game update. Moving forward, we will strive to keep Maple World a politically neutral environment for all of our players.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,490
    Posts: 1,570
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    HHG1 wrote: »
    Well.
    http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/20624/
    Several years ago, the MapleStory game team introduced a Non-Player Character (NPC) named Donald. To avoid any misunderstanding, we have decided to replace Donald with a new NPC with the same functionality. The new character will appear on March 1 during our game update. Moving forward, we will strive to keep Maple World a politically neutral environment for all of our players.

    Regardless, this just reaffirms that Nexon isn't going to change things based on heated political subjects.
    (At least not unless it's removing I guess)
    Donald was removed because they didn't want to seem like they endorsed any political message.
    IE: Gay marriage is even less likely to happen because of this, not more.
    If gay marriage is going to happen, you'll likely need to wait until it's not such a hot topic.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Posts: 780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    Yeah I agree. It's less likely to be changed if the angle people want to go about it is political to begin with instead of pointing out the advantages of the change beyond that. Sure, some people will find politics in anything. If they remove gender flags entirely then that could be interpreted as a trans thing. Even the April Fools hairs just being flipped gender-wise could be taken as offensive, if you reach far enough.

    My opinion is that letting players marry their friends or whoever, regardless of in-game or irl gender, would be a good change. People tie the virtual knot for different reasons but the only real advantage you gain in-game is access to Amoria PQ and an extra private chat.
    People being able to purchase a wedding together with a person they trust the most in-game to not randomly divorce them is a win-win scenario. Nexon makes money off the people who might otherwise not have been able to find a suitable partner, and players can fully enjoy the wedding-system without marrying random flimsy mules just for their gender setting.

    It's potentially not an easy thing to implement though. Amoria PQ is old as heck, and has stages that rely on the gender flag of your character.
    (Sidenote: Didn't your whole account used to be genderlocked back in "tHe GoOd oLd dAyS" or am I miss-remembering? Pretty sure you couldn't even create a character of the opposite gender to the one you had specified initially.)
    But on the other hand you still get male armor drops if you're on a female character.
    Bottom line is the gender flag needs to either matter more to be consistent, or matter less to be flexible. I personally think it should matter less at this point.

    I would like for the same to apply to crush rings and other "couple" specific items.
    Other people have mentioned wanting to open up the hair/face pool as well and being able to buy and use tickets for both male and female styles regardless of the character's assigned gender. Nexon could probably make a decent profit off that too. Male styles are horrible every this week but there's a cool style in the female rotation? That's a purchase that someone might make instead of holding onto their money that week.
    More character (and android) customization is always a good thing in my book.
    FuhreakKlaraaufeuz
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    Posts: 378
    Member
    edited September 2019
    Fawko wrote: »
    I like how you say more important matters like this is an extremely hard and grusume thing to do. Why would you even be against this? It is not going to cost Nexon tons of time to do this. They are doing what they can to take care of the lag and bots, I can assure you that, look at the server markers when you log on and you'll see they are all empty in reg servers because the bots are gone for now.

    First, its political. The least political our games get the better.

    Second, have you seen how spaghetti Maple's code is? Let me give you an example from a recent patch from our Korean overlords, courtesy of Orange Mushroom

    Chaining skills: fixed an error where if you had potions in a specific location in your inventory and your number of set up inventory slots was below a certain number, you could not use potions while using chaining skills

    Source: https://orangemushroom.net/2019/09/19/kmst-ver-1-2-092-job-balancing/

    Fixing, removing or adding anything to 10+ years old code that has passed down hands over and over is not going to go well, specially with a feature that has existed since the game started and with content that is really old and outdated now. Even less of a reason to mess with it when its something that barely anyone uses, even more so since the rewards are not worth the hassle.

    Third, the server markers in regular worlds are low because there is little people playing, specially in September when its peak school season in the world and major updates and events have yet to be announced. That and well all the issues I mentioned before, and have been ongoing for the last 5 years.

    Fourth, if its truly a case of love, then this:
    If you have a significant other that also plays MapleStory, just cherish them irl instead.
    You don't have to be married in an MMO to show someone else you love them.
  • iArrowZiArrowZ
    Reactions: 1,710
    Posts: 159
    Member
    edited September 2019
    Perhaps we can change "marraige" to "kinship" or "partnership" or "deep friendship"

    Iirc we already have rings that are shared umong friends.
    I think this would be a good footing. instead of changing the marriage. Just remove it and change it with kinship/friendship. This way we can share kinship/friendship/deepfriendship/bestfriend rings woth whomever we want.
    Rename it friendship PQ.

    Idk if this would be an argument but. Lets be honest. Most games have significantly less female players making it less likely to have female avatars around. Heck we had "traps" for quite a while now lol. So even we did want to marry someone in game there is the real chance that a female player wont be found. And i know of several occasions where people just married a female mule avatar because it was mandatory for male and female avatars to marry.

    TL DR kinship/deep friendship/best friend rings could be an alternative or replacement for this issue. Which I think could be applied to the game without too much of fuss.
    So i guess my argument would be accessibility i think this approach would be consider non political enough to implement.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    Posts: 378
    Member
    edited September 2019
    iArrowZ wrote: »
    Perhaps we can change "marraige" to "kinship" or "partnership" or "deep friendship"

    Iirc we already have rings that are shared umong friends.
    I think this would be a good footing. instead of changing the marriage. Just remove it and change it with kinship/friendship. This way we can share kinship/friendship/deepfriendship/bestfriend rings woth whomever we want.
    Rename it friendship PQ.

    Idk if this would be an argument but. Lets be honest. Most games have significantly less female players making it less likely to have female avatars around. Heck we had "traps" for quite a while now lol. So even we did want to marry someone in game there is the real chance that a female player wont be found. And i know of several occasions where people just married a female mule avatar because it was mandatory for male and female avatars to marry.

    TL DR kinship/deep friendship/best friend rings could be an alternative or replacement for this issue. Which I think could be applied to the game without too much of fuss.
    So i guess my argument would be accessibility i think this approach would be consider non political enough to implement.

    I don't know exactly about Maple but from other MMOs I've seen far more female avatars than male. Yes, those players are male but you don't have to make an avatar the same gender as yours, and with Maple requiring you to use at least 40 characters to be the strongest you can be its inevitable people will use a character different from their gender.

    If you want same sex marriage without making it political I got a simple answer. Roleplay. A lot of people like to roleplay their characters in mmos without having to agree with everything their characters do and by far its the simplest excuse to keep marriage in game without having to make much changes to the terrible spaghetti of code that we call a game. The problem is that for now and for the next few years and for who knows how long this will remain a political topic, and the least devs get into political topics the better.

    Everyone has their opinion but the least Nexon needs is players leaving for political disagreements or because of whatever chaos changing such an old, aging feature will cause.

  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,250
    Posts: 1,028
    Member
    edited September 2019
    I just want to anvil my Gender-nuetral armor into Wash Blued jeans, which for some dumb reason is male only. Ice and sandblasted jeans are not going to cut it.
  • aufeuzaufeuz
    Reactions: 500
    Posts: 21
    Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes
This discussion has been closed.