[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Did knockback change?

StarryKnightStarryKnight
Reactions: 1,935
edited October 2019 in General Chat
Here recently it seems like I've been getting ping ponged around a lot by touch knockback. I play an avoidability class as opposed to a knockback resistance class. These are suppose to achieve the same goal, but it seems like avoidability has become much less meaningful in the recent patch. A couple examples, in the eternal fox battle, I get knocked around non-stop, where before I would avoid most touch damage. In spirit saver the blue balls are now knocking me around, causing me to miss jumps and get hit by the boss where they used to only remove some of the meter. Is it just me, or did they screw something up, or what? If this is as bad for other classes as it is for thief classes, I can only imagine the frustration people are experiencing with this change.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2019
    Knockback did change, and it's intentional, even though it was not mentioned in the update notes.
    The latest Maple Memo addresses it:
    Maple Memo wrote:
    Knockback mechanic change
    We recently found an issue where knockback from certain monster attacks wasn’t properly applied as intended due to the conflict between several systems and have fixed the logic of these skills in Fabled Melody update. With this change, knockback from certain monsters is now applied based on Stance %. We understand that some players were confused with this change and we apologize for not clearly communicating it with players in advance.
  • StarryKnightStarryKnight
    edited October 2019
    Thanks for that, must have missed the memo (pardon the pun).

Seems pretty messed up if this is intentional, it makes a lot of the game much less enjoyable. Take farming nodes for example, I can't stand still long enough to input the barely visible direction code because they "fixed" the knockback, which ends up pushing me out of range of the ore before I can harvest it. It literally took me almost ten tries to mine an ore because of this change. Further, bosses are more frustrating because the knockback impedes DPS, not just from having to constantly restart your main boss attack, but also because getting constantly knocked back ruins the positioning, meaning I have to move back into position to even begin attacking.

So what's the point of avoidability now? There are bosses/mobs where touch cannot be avoided, making classes without inherent knockback resistance become adventures in ping pong, and thief classes generally have 0% knockback precisely because they have high avoidability. Meaning for those bosses, they are further crippled, yet again.

Also, why even fix knockback and thus cripple even more players when there are so many other issues crippling the game. It just makes no sense that this was so high on their priority list, its been this way for literally years, changing it now just seems like bad form.
    darikHuskyDMDnaman101
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2019
    Avoidability was removed from the game, along with accuracy, a while back.
    All I can suggest is making a Mihile for its link skill. And probably a Mechanic for the buff duration Legion effect, to make the Mihile link last longer (it's an active skill and its cooldown is longer than its duration, even at level 3).
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2019
    Avoidability as a visible stat was removed, but "x% chance to dodge/avoid" passives are still very much a thing.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited October 2019
    Alongside Matilda this is one of those things that need to be reverted. Its not fun.
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited October 2019
    You could always get the potential "+1/2/3 seconds invincibility duration when attacked" on epic/unique/legendary top/overall to get hit/knockback less often. (Does not work on attacks that bypass invincibility)
  • xparasite9xparasite9
    Reactions: 2,000
    edited October 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    All I can suggest is making a Mihile for its link skill.

What's even the point? I'm using it and I'm still getting KBed from some monsters.
    So because of this, mages are facing an immediate reduction in DPM now, due to the fact that we cannot attack from the air, which knockback does.
  • StarryKnightStarryKnight
    edited October 2019
    All I can suggest is making a Mihile for its link skill. And probably a Mechanic for the buff duration Legion effect, to make the Mihile link last longer (it's an active skill and its cooldown is longer than its duration, even at level 3).
    I get what you're saying, and mihile link is a good link skill for bossing, but it seems like nexon is forcing us to make that choice, meaning I need to lose a link skill that I would prefer, and it's cool down makes it far too impractical for using for things like spirit saver, regular training, or farming nodes.

Not to mention that I have a LOT of active skills/cooldowns/buffs that need to be constantly used throughout a boss fight and I simply don't have enough keyboard keys to add additional active skills. Not sure about all classes, but night lords are constantly using active skills while training or during a boss fight, (erda nova, shurricane, sudden raid, true arachnid reflection, dark lords omen, death star, dark flare, soul weapon attack, epic adventure, bleed dart, spread throw, last resort, or dark sight to avoid some attacks, and then refreshing our regular buffs as well as 'decent' buffs that cant be macro'd like speed infusion, combat orders, sharp eyes, holy symbol, etc) in addition to our main bossing attacks, and even using our farming attack due to the resistance/debuff it gives. Forcing us to include yet another skill in our rotation is just maddening. I consistently use ~21 keys during a long solo boss fight (including movement skills like shadow web and rope lift where applicable) , and that's just my left hand. I use another ~10 with my right. I'm having trouble even reaching some of the button skills on my keyboard at this point, I don't know where I would even put Knights Watch.

Thanks for the responses, I'm not trying to take this out on you, I'm mostly just venting I guess, because it seems like such a disservice to players.
  • xparasite9xparasite9
    Reactions: 2,000
    edited October 2019
    I still don't get it...even with using Knight's Watch to bring stance up to 100%, I'm still getting knocked back.
    How is this intended behavior?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2019
    I bet it's another "intended" change that's actually a bug that they'll walk back calling intended in a week or two.