[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

% Damage and % Att??

UnforgivennnUnforgivennn
Reactions: 1,555
Member, Private Tester
edited August 2017 in General Chat
What are the differences between % Damage and % Att? Which one is better to have?

Comments

• PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited August 2017
    In Reboot...%ATT is vastly superior to %Damage...I think %Damage is just overall bad though...It doesn't provide much benefit.
  • UnforgivennnUnforgivennn
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    In Reboot...%ATT is vastly superior to %Damage...I think %Damage is just overall bad though...It doesn't provide much benefit.

Why is that?
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited August 2017

Why is that?

I think because %attack goes into your range...while %Damage is like...also into your range but only to a certain extent...I know in Reboto its cuz of the passive which gives you 100% damage by default...
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited August 2017
    Depends on your class, but overall Att % will always be better. Skills that use % of your damage like shadow partner seem to gain benefit of the dmg % but att% will still be better regardless. bonus dmg/ dmg % also hits a diminishing return cap, % att and final dmg will be superior.

different formula to put it simpler

att is multiplicative
    dmg is additive

Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017

Why is that?

I think because %attack goes into your range...while %Damage is like...also into your range but only to a certain extent...I know in Reboto its cuz of the passive which gives you 100% damage by default...

Oo ok I see

Depends on your class, but overall Att % will always be better. Skills that use % of your damage like shadow partner seem to gain benefit of the dmg % but att% will still be better regardless. bonus dmg/ dmg % also hits a diminishing return cap, % att and final dmg will be superior.

att is multiplicative
    dmg is additive

So does that mean kanna and demon avengar link skill are bad??
    edited August 2017

Why is that?

Oo ok I see

att is multiplicative
    dmg is additive

Not if you have % att on your potentials
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017

Why is that?

Oo ok I see

att is multiplicative
    dmg is additive

Not if you have % att on your potentials

But those links are % damage
    edited August 2017
    the links are a bit different because they show up in your range. % total damage/damage from potential doesnt. % att still works with the numbers off the link skills but it also works with all the % att/ att stats in your equips. % damage is added after the final result of the formula.

If I'm correct the kanna and DA links are a flat boost. They add 25% of your total range, to your range.
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    the links are a bit different because they show up in your range. % total damage/damage from potential doesnt. % att still works with the numbers off the link skills but it also works with all the % att/ att stats in your equips. % damage is added after the final result of the formula.

If I'm correct the kanna and DA links are a flat boost. They add 25% of your total range, to your range.

Oh ok, I guess it should be named % att but its called % damage in description of the link ty!
    edited August 2017

Oh ok, I guess it should be named % att but its called % damage in description of the link ty!

it's named properly, if it were % att it'd multiply your total range by 25%, but since it just adds 25% of your range into your range, it's proper.
  • OccireOccire
    Reactions: 1,935
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    They're both additive on top of themselves and multiplicative with each other. Without any of either, adding say, 12% attack is the about the same as adding 12% damage, though % damage is applied after % attack, and % attack is applied to your attack and rounded down, so % attack could be slightly worse.

The reason % att is better is because it's much rarer. Many skills give a character % damage, including many passives, buffs, link skills, and all the Reinforce hyper skills for attack, which just give % damage for that particular skill. You're less likely to have as large amounts of % attack as % damage, so the boost from adding % attack is much greater than adding the same amount of % damage (since potentials for both are generally the same value).

Additionally, % boss damage is the same as % damage, except that it only works on bosses, so they're additive together as well, so if you have quite a lot of boss damage, which is very possible considering boss damage potentials and set effects usually comes in 20%, 30%, 35%, and 40% flavors, on bosses, the impact a measly 12% or 13% damage at best would add is very small.

So the two biggest factors at play are the scarcity of % attack sources vs % damage sources, plus the large quantities of % boss damage available, which stack additively on top of % damage.
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017

it's named properly, if it were % att it'd multiply your total range by 25%, but since it just adds 25% of your range into your range, it's proper.

what??, i'm confused again lol so % damage link skill is still better than % damage right?
    Occire wrote: »
    They're both additive on top of themselves and multiplicative with each other. Without any of either, adding say, 12% attack is the about the same as adding 12% damage, though % damage is applied after % attack, and % attack is applied to your attack and rounded down, so % attack could be slightly worse.

The reason % att is better is because it's much rarer. Many skills give a character % damage, including many passives, buffs, link skills, and all the Reinforce hyper skills for attack, which just give % damage for that particular skill. You're less likely to have as large amounts of % attack as % damage, so the boost from adding % attack is much greater than adding the same amount of % damage (since potentials for both are generally the same value).

Additionally, % boss damage is the same as % damage, except that it only works on bosses, so they're additive together as well, so if you have quite a lot of boss damage, which is very possible considering boss damage potentials and set effects usually comes in 20%, 30%, 35%, and 40% flavors, on bosses, the impact a measly 12% or 13% damage at best would add is very small.

So the two biggest factors at play are the scarcity of % attack sources vs % damage sources, plus the large quantities of % boss damage available, which stack additively on top of % damage.

Ok I see, I will aim for % att then
    edited August 2017
    Yes, % damage link skills are better than the % damage potentials

% damage potentials only affects your damage per lines, link skills affect your base range, overall att is best choice
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017

% damage potentials only affects your damage per lines, link skills affect your base range, overall att is best choice

Ok got it, ty
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited August 2017
    Part of the damage formula is as follow ... * [attack * (1 + %attack) / 100] * [1 + %damage + %boss damage] * ...

%damage on weapon/secondary weapon/emblem is bad because it is additive with %boss damage, and %boss damage potential come in 20/30/35/40% potential while %damage only come in 3/6/9/12% potential.

%attack is better than %damage because majority of the skills and hyper add %damage, so %damage is already suffering from diminishing return, especially on Reboot where their beginner passive give a truckload of %damage.

%damage from link skill does the same thing as %damage from weapon/secondary/emblem potential.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited August 2017
    Rexaar wrote: »
    Part of the damage formula is as follow ... * [attack * (1 + %attack) / 100] * [1 + %damage + %boss damage] * ...

%damage on weapon/secondary weapon/emblem is bad because it is additive with %boss damage, and %boss damage potential come in 20/30/35/40% potential while %damage only come in 3/6/9/12% potential.

%attack is better than %damage because majority of the skills and hyper add %damage, so %damage is already suffering from diminishing return, especially on Reboot where their beginner passive give a truckload of %damage.

%damage from link skill does the same thing as %damage from weapon/secondary/emblem potential.

No, it's no bad, just because you play reboot doesn't mean %boss is useless, there's still a formula, and unless you are a person who likes to train all the time, %boss will be better at some point, only focusing in %attack won't make you that strong, you still need some %boss.

Remember that %attack is good, but for someone who doesn't have much ATTACK it won't increase as much damage as %boss, or like this guy in the video who have a lot of %attack so it's better to have boss lines : he have so much %attack that %boss is actually more viable in terms of damag, so he have that much.

Also link skills are really usefull cause they don't occupy the potential lines, they might be %dmg, but they still are very usefull and strong.
  • Traveler5577Traveler5577
    Reactions: 1,995
    edited August 2017

so then unless u have potential? those two things are a waste to have entirely correct? i mean why is there atk% and dam%? why cant it just be one thing to do for skills, passives, linkskills, ect? and benefits the range ? seems like a broken system now. ._. because i still dont know which is better to get for higher damage and good range? in potential that is.
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited August 2017
    Ivangold wrote: »
    No, it's no bad, just because you play reboot doesn't mean %boss is useless, there's still a formula, and unless you are a person who likes to train all the time, %boss will be better at some point, only focusing in %attack won't make you that strong, you still need some %boss.
    You misunderstood, I never said %boss damage was bad or imply it was useless, going for %damage on weapon/secondary/emblem potential is a waste when you can get %boss damage which is 2/3x more efficient to dps than %damage.
    so then unless u have potential? those two things are a waste to have entirely correct?
    Demon Avenger and Kanna link skill are the best link skill to have because %att link skill doesn't exist.