[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.228 On Air: Glimpse of Joy Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Paradigm Shift: Incoming to Nexon!

Comments

  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,070
    Posts: 498
    Member
    edited February 2019
    darik wrote: »
    Well i am happy for the change but this is a free to play game, how do u expect them to make revenue now?

    like evry other top ranked game sell ingame cosmetic, irl merch, live events and much more thats the true free2play game
    btw gambling and p2w/f2p its not same
    nexon can directly sell the items to the market,advert correctly and sell as it is
    with gambling its much worse (especially when its not controled/protected by government or other official )

  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,405
    Posts: 3,553
    Member
    edited February 2019
    WONDERGUY wrote: »
    darik wrote: »
    Well i am happy for the change but this is a free to play game, how do u expect them to make revenue now?

    like evry other top ranked game sell ingame cosmetic, irl merch, live events and much more thats the true free2play game
    btw gambling and p2w/f2p its not same
    nexon can directly sell the items to the market,advert correctly and sell as it is
    with gambling its much worse (especially when its not controled/protected by government or other official )

    What "top ranked games" are you referring to? Because a lot of the top-ranked games that I can think of off the top of my head still sell loot boxes in one form or another. Overwatch, League, Fortnite, PUBG, CS:GO; they all sell loot boxes full of cosmetics.
    Fuhreakdarik
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 6,710
    Posts: 1,257
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    What "top ranked games" are you referring to? Because a lot of the top-ranked games that I can think of off the top of my head still sell loot boxes in one form or another. Overwatch, League, Fortnite, PUBG, CS:GO; they all sell loot boxes full of cosmetics.

    Loot boxes were a mistake. Developers noticed that they could grab some cash fast with it, but eventually it will come back to bite them in the ass.
    Just like how a lot of gamers instantly get turned off by the phrase "DLC" now-a-days.
    Running an MMO is an expensive endeavor, I'm not sure I place pay to win on the same level as loot boxes. Honestly I'd say it's far worse.
    Gambling has a real addiction aspect to it that can destroy lives. I don't think too many people are having that issue over cosmetic items from loot boxes.
    I can't think of any widely successful MMO that didn't use gambling or subscription methods to stay afloat.
    Though I'd love to be enlightened by any that do exist.
    darikSlicedTime
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,405
    Posts: 3,553
    Member
    edited February 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    What "top ranked games" are you referring to? Because a lot of the top-ranked games that I can think of off the top of my head still sell loot boxes in one form or another. Overwatch, League, Fortnite, PUBG, CS:GO; they all sell loot boxes full of cosmetics.

    Loot boxes were a mistake. Developers noticed that they could grab some cash fast with it, but eventually it will come back to bite them in the ass.
    Just like how a lot of gamers instantly get turned off by the phrase "DLC" now-a-days.
    Running an MMO is an expensive endeavor, I'm not sure I place pay to win on the same level as loot boxes. Honestly I'd say it's far worse.
    Gambling has a real addiction aspect to it that can destroy lives. I don't think too many people are having that issue over cosmetic items from loot boxes.
    I can't think of any widely successful MMO that didn't use gambling or subscription methods to stay afloat.
    Though I'd love to be enlightened by any that do exist.

    DLC used to actually be additional content. Now it's basically just all the crap they cut from the game to make a ship date. Look at, since it's the only thing I can think of on a moment's notice, Borderlands. The first and second games both have a handful of DLC options. They're decently inexpensive and add entire wholly new content areas(Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, for starts, as well as The Secret Armory of General Knoxx). There are two, for Borderlands 2, that are simply level-cap increases, but they're like $5 each and the second one adds both a level cap increase as well as a whole new tier of weapons and an endgame raid thing.

    Put simply, this is why the notion of DLC, especially day-one DLC, leaves such a sour taste in most peoples' mouths nowadays.
    Fuhreak
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,070
    Posts: 498
    Member
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    WONDERGUY wrote: »
    darik wrote: »
    Well i am happy for the change but this is a free to play game, how do u expect them to make revenue now?

    like evry other top ranked game sell ingame cosmetic, irl merch, live events and much more thats the true free2play game
    btw gambling and p2w/f2p its not same
    nexon can directly sell the items to the market,advert correctly and sell as it is
    with gambling its much worse (especially when its not controled/protected by government or other official )

    What "top ranked games" are you referring to? Because a lot of the top-ranked games that I can think of off the top of my head still sell loot boxes in one form or another. Overwatch, League, Fortnite, PUBG, CS:GO; they all sell loot boxes full of cosmetics.
    yea those are some of the top games that has well balanced systems that dont afect gameplay at all
    in fact i think fortnite it was one of first game in 2018/17 that said enough of lootbox and simular mircotrans "scams"
    right after csgo/battlefront chaos ,all other either failed or changed their systems
    only nexon i think dont want/strugle to get rid off lootboxs

    while nexon promots system that changes gameplay drasticly (wich is not cheap ) and on top of that service its so bad ( you can see after each patch/maintaince without even going ingame)
    and its not only maplestory
    almost all their games its same
    lawbreakers (failed)
    combat arms (failed-other company took over)
    brazil ms (failed)
    europe ms (failed)
    global ms(failing-leaching from other services)

    why?
    because there are ways to play such games fairly and as players actuly want where companys can make their part aswell
    so win win
    i tell you if nexon remove all p2w items-gamble from maplestory and starts promote real free2play (reduce hackers to)
    maplestory can overnight become great and make far more just from selling cosmetic irl/ingame

    btw if spending alot of $$ just to make 10b dmg lines/275 its the goal and are people enjoying in that
    i dont mind they can keep as it is
    darik
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,405
    Posts: 3,553
    Member
    edited February 2019
    Overwatch is still pretty predatory about it. They give you a paltry few standard loot boxes through normal gameplay and have special/different loot boxes for event-limited legendary skins and the like. It may not affect gameplay but it sure as hell preys on people who are susceptible to gambling problems.

    You don't have to have pay-to-win items in a loot box to be predatory in your practice and I wish more people actually understood that.
    darikSlicedTime
  • AK712AK712
    Reactions: 1,630
    Posts: 113
    Member
    edited February 2019
    This is quite possibly one of the stupidest laws Belgium has created in the 21st century. Of course, you have to think about it logically (which very few people do these days) to see how stupid it is:

    A virtual box with a virtual pink dress in it: $5. Belgium: "Okay!"
    A virtual box with a 50% possibility of getting one of two virtual dresses, one pink and the other red: $5. Belgium: "Nope, that's gambling. Here's a fine and a cease-and-desist."

    Yes, Belgium, gambling is bad. But considering anything that has any amount of chance and has any amount of money involved, "gambling?" That's absurd.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 6,710
    Posts: 1,257
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    WONDERGUY wrote: »
    lawbreakers (failed)
    I'd just like to point out that lawbreakers wasn't their game. They were simply a publisher and the developer of that game had a history of abandoning things.
    Edit: Correction, this was the game he abandoned when it started to go south, giving him the history when he also abandoned Radical Heights.
    Point is, this wasn't Nexon's fault. (Now there's a shocker.)

  • HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    Posts: 165
    Member
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Again, the issue is not what you can get from them, but the fact that they're based around the "element of chance". That, as I've said prior, is what the point of contention is.
    Not quite.
    Lots of game use "elements of chance" as a core mechanic in their gameplay. Nobody has ever called D&D a gambling game though.
    Chance only becomes a gambling issue if you are paying for something uncertain (particularly if the options are of different value), and especially if there is a potential to get more out than you put in. (By selling to others for example.)
    darikSlicedTime
  • KrimlockKrimlock
    Reactions: 1,430
    Posts: 122
    Member
    edited February 2019
    Its not that hard really just take out directly buying cubes and scrolls for IRL cash make it like reboots cube handling buy them with mesos, and by keeping the maple point coupons in the cash shop to be bought ppl will then buy them to purchase mesos from the meso market to buy cubes.

    This way you you are not "buying" cubes&scrolls with "real" money the money is being used to buy maple points to be used on other game functions and one of those functions just so happen to be a meso market that you use to buy cubes and scrolls lol.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,070
    Posts: 498
    Member
    edited February 2019
    AK712 wrote: »
    This is quite possibly one of the stupidest laws Belgium has created in the 21st century. Of course, you have to think about it logically (which very few people do these days) to see how stupid it is:

    A virtual box with a virtual pink dress in it: $5. Belgium: "Okay!"
    A virtual box with a 50% possibility of getting one of two virtual dresses, one pink and the other red: $5. Belgium: "Nope, that's gambling. Here's a fine and a cease-and-desist."

    Yes, Belgium, gambling is bad. But considering anything that has any amount of chance and has any amount of money involved, "gambling?" That's absurd.


    unlike other countrys belgium care for their citizen you cant call it stupid
    its more about regulations they are not baning gambleing in their country

    nexon was strick for long time about it and fishy
    they didnt want to expose even the rates (untill they got punished ) but still evry other company understood and made a change
    chek top 20games what promote to their players and how they make money
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    WONDERGUY wrote: »
    lawbreakers (failed)
    I'd just like to point out that lawbreakers wasn't their game. They were simply a publisher and the developer of that game had a history of abandoning things.
    Edit: Correction, this was the game he abandoned when it started to go south, giving him the history when he also abandoned Radical Heights.
    Point is, this wasn't Nexon's fault. (Now there's a shocker.)
    am not going in to whos fault was, they are team they could mange
    importan was that it was pay to win and you had to pay to download ( like 40$? i forgot ) so game went south
    darik
  • SunsetChaosSunsetChaos
    Reactions: 1,115
    Posts: 49
    Member
    edited February 2019
    darik wrote: »
    Well i am happy for the change but this is a free to play game, how do u expect them to make revenue now?
    Oh idk, maybe first stop making excuses like "this is a free to play game" to justify loot box gambling and start looking at other F2P games/developers who are making loads of money without loot box gambling? Warframe is one prime example of F2P done right.
    darikSlicedTimeWONDERGUYTerrorStreak
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 6,710
    Posts: 1,257
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    darik wrote: »
    Well i am happy for the change but this is a free to play game, how do u expect them to make revenue now?
    Oh idk, maybe first stop making excuses like "this is a free to play game" to justify loot box gambling and start looking at other F2P games/developers who are making loads of money without loot box gambling? Warframe is one prime example of F2P done right.

    So long as they leave Reboot out of this pay to win mindset I don't really care how regular servers handle their pay to win.
    The option to buy perma CS covers at an increased price would be nice though.