[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Unscheduled Minor Patch - October 20, 2016

Comments

• DorDor
    Reactions: 710
    edited October 2016
    Xenomata
    Xenomata said:

Aggraphine

So you're fine with twelve messages to say one work that's six letters long? You don't see any sort of discrepancy there?
    Yes I am.

What exactly do you plan to do, insult me? Give me 50 reasons why I'm wrong? Curse at me?

Ever heard of | ?
    Ever heard of an in-game conversation going uncensored? Cause I haven't, not since this terrible filter had been active.
    Whether I'm cool with curse words or not, given the option I'd disable this filter any day just so half the conversation doesn't turn into me and my friends trying to figure out which word(s) were censored when we said something that was wrongfully detected.

As far as I can tell they're not even using regex to detect the banned words, they're just stripping messages of certain characters like punctuation and spaces and then check if any of the banned words are found inside the string. And if regex is actually used, then that's a bad way to utilize it.
  • NiightseekerNiightseeker
    Reactions: 2,040
    edited October 2016
    Klara
    Klara said:

@Niightseeker Clean words being censored depending where they are in a sentence is different. That part I agree needs to be changed if they are separated by a space and there is no intention of swearing. However, I was talking about if profanity e.g from another language etc is found within a combination of words and people don't know what it means, it takes common sense to say 'maybe I shouldn't bother with that word'. If one is curious and does search the meaning, it's best to just forget about it as it most likely isn't very positive in the first place.
    But even if it's in another language, why censor it when it's made up of multiple parts of a sentence? Of course it's going to make people search for the definition; whether they start using it in conversation is entirely up to their discretion. Why would someone sit around and go "gee, I have no idea what this thing that got censored means, better not find out so I know why it was censored"?

My mother taught me how to swear in Spanish (and a little bit in French) when I was in kindergarten. That doesn't mean I went around using the words and phrases myself. The point is, regardless of whether something is a curse or not in any language, if it's in the middle of one word or happens to be formed by someone's sentence structure (i.e. "thought it," "can all," etcetera), it shouldn't be censored as it makes communicating even without curse words be extremely difficult, and in some cases, nearly impossible. Guildmates of mine often have to say their sentences one word at a time to avoid them being huge masses of asterisks.

@Klara
    So, to reiterate what everyone causing backlash against the reinstatement of the chat filter has been trying to put across: it is not about being able to swear. Sure people were going nuts with it, but it's no different than someone going out to a bar and getting utterly hammered when they turn 21; it's because it's something new they can do, so they're going wild with it. Just like the nasty hangover telling a person "maybe I shouldn't do this that often," the excitement would wear off after approximately a week at most, and everyone would've went back to talking like normal.
    All everyone wants is to have a conversation with their friends or their guildmates, or even strangers, without having to fear the other party will not understand what they were trying to say as masses of it had been censored. We just want to be able to communicate.
    Maryse
  • sEV0sEV0
    Reactions: 200
    edited October 2016
    Any informations about Steam Version for other regions? Like EU?
  • SwordStakerSwordStaker
    Reactions: 1,535
    edited October 2016
    Really wish region blocks for Gloabl would stay gone. I mean we are GLOBAL Maplestory.
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited October 2016
    SwordStaker

Really wish region blocks for Gloabl would stay gone. I mean we are GLOBAL Maplestory.
    Never heard that argument before.
    AggraphineDariusJQuellan
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016

OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

iExpodiZz said:

You better not fix the language filter, that's the most fun I've had since Pre-bigbang
    It's coming back. Hope everyone got it out of their system. I also wonder how many people know that our standard language rules still applied as they were saying some of those.... choice words.

As a note, we did see all of your comments regarding the language filter and are looking into some potential adjustments to the system.
    I hope that you guys don't re-enable word regarding the LGBT community,
    because now that it was removed, and if those words return ill just forward this to various LGBT action groups.

I find it somewhat sad that words like Gay, Homosexual, etc are censored. Side Note, why no gay marriage? Is it just Nexon America thats disgusted with the idea or all of Nexon inc.?
    Why the would that warrant forwarding it to GLBT action groups? And what the would they do about it anyway? Its an online game, if you don't like the rules then don't play it. NexonNA isn't doing anything wrong by re-instating the filter (even though I had hoped it was removed intentionally), don't be an ass about this.
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    KeepComingBack

People were actually happy that they could form normal sentences, not that they could spout obscenities.

RIP that I guess.
    To be fair some things should still be censored, but ~90% of what is censored in MS doesn't need to be.

@AKradian - I agree a whitelist is not a good solution to an overeager blacklist. Instead the algorithm does need to be refined greatly (as well as the blacklist should be shortened significantly).

And what really confuses me is the damn filter on these forums. Some (rather a lot actually) words/phrases that are censored in game are perfectly fine here. So why can't that same list be applied in game? Also, the approach of just deleting words on the blacklist (as happens in this forum) instead of just asterisking them out for everyone except the person who typed them is a better approach (though not much better)
  • KeepComingBackKeepComingBack
    Reactions: 2,960
    edited October 2016
    @gamechanger They should just go back to the basics honestly. Censor the bad words, and only the bad words. Don't take spaces into account(most of the problems stem from this), don't censor really obscure foreign words that nobody uses. Don't censor general phrases such as "my first time".
    They should just do the bare minimum to cover their ass about being a familyfriendly game. People will bypass it if they really want to, people have always found ways to bypass it. But this way we wouldn't have to try and bypass the filter daily when trying to convey something entirely harmless. I have to have tiddies and anal on my mind all day just so I can remember to bypass it to use regular sentences.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited October 2016
    So i have a question @OneLetter or @KThxBaiNao, is the ip block for Europeans players, Brazilians and Vietna ones finnaly removed, i mean 4ever?
    Just wanna know if you guys will occasionally bring it back the ip block and wait til merge to be finished...
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited October 2016
    Ivangold
    Ivangold said:

So i have a question @OneLetter or @KThxBaiNao, is the ip block for Europeans players, Brazilians and Vietna ones finnaly removed, i mean 4ever?
    Just wanna know if you guys will occasionally bring it back the ip block and wait til merge to be finished...
    if the IP block is still removed for those regions then one would assume they will stay unblocked
  • KlaraKlara
    Reactions: 3,385
    edited October 2016
    @Niightseeker That's to those who say they've learnt new profanity via being censored with the current filter. I was offering a suggestion on how to ignore it. And if maplers find a bad word in another language, it's more reason not to use it, particular not towards those of that nationality if they do search it up. And the 'in another language' part was just an example for those who know all the profanity in English. Ignoring an obscure word if it doesn't feel/sound right is for protection. That's what I would do. And yes, I fully agree that spaces shouldn't trigger the filter. But I see people purposely bypassing the filter just to make swearing visible to others, so the reason I posted on this thread was to give my view of why there should still be censorship instead of removing it entirely like it seems the mentioned people were implying. =/

About your bar example, not everyone partakes in that sort of culture. There are people aware of the dangers and health risks so there's no interest in trying it out for the first time if it's going to have a negative effect either to the individual or to others with their unconscious actions. Same with choosing not to swear due to self control and consideration.
  • Mallow256Mallow256
    Reactions: 1,060
    edited October 2016
    This is how adults handle mature language in their video game
  • PonPonPonPon
    Reactions: 1,265
    edited October 2016
    Catooolooo

Ivangold
    Ivangold said:

if the IP block is still removed for those regions then one would assume they will stay unblocked
    I went so hard on this case I ticketed and live chatted regarding this information. The GMs threw me a Region Limitation and told me to read. That article is outdated as the recent incident allowed players in Europe, Brazil and Vietnam to access the game without using any third party program.

The question remains unanswered.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited October 2016
    PonPon
    PonPon said:

Catooolooo

Ivangold
    Ivangold said:

I went so hard on this case I ticketed and live chatted regarding this information. The GMs threw me a Region Limitation and told me to read. That article is outdated as the recent incident allowed players in Europe, Brazil and Vietnam to access the game without using any third party program.

The question remains unanswered.
    It's general knowledge that the live chat guys know little more about what's going on than the players, so their information is quite bad if it isnt regarding bans, or fixing stuck characters