[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[BUG] with windowed mode and external chat

AllowedAllowed
Reactions: 1,045
edited December 2019 in Bug Reporting
Bug type: external chat+ window mode

Brief bug summary: maple client bugs with a black screen when you have widowed mode and external chat turned on

More details: https://imgur.com/10UDh1r

(anything not included in the other sections of your report)

Steps to reproduce: turn on widowed mode turn on external chat turn off the game then start up the game login pick a channel and once logged in u only get a black screen but hear the ingane music playing and everything

(if not covered in the summary)

Character name: HolyHaku

Character level: 211

Character job: Kanna

World name: Luna

Date and time of the incident: 31-12-2019 14:32

(mention your time zone if you aren't posting Pacific time) CET

Comments

• AllowedAllowed
    edited December 2019
    Sad thing is i can't play maple now e.e
  • AllowedAllowed
    edited December 2019
    I hope this gets fixed fast
  • WindyTempestWindyTempest
    Reactions: 500
    edited January 2020
    Same, I'm also having this same issue when I was playing MapleStory in windows mode and logout of my character with external chat window opened. Now my main cannot get passed through the black screen despite the fact that it's actually in game.
    Edit: Forgot to mention, this occured at 12/31/19 around 4:15pm PST.

Ign: Chatoyance
    Character Level: 217
    Job: Wind Archer
    World: Aurora
  • AllowedAllowed
    edited January 2020
    uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix this problem still black screen!
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited January 2020
    Try pressing alt-enter to enter full screen mode before logging in.
  • ArtifexArtifex
    Reactions: 1,050
    edited January 2020
    I learned that this issue happens for anyone with a certain line of display adapters. I purchased 2 new HP devices, for example. Both of them have different display adapters but they are similar enough to share the issue. I'd tell you the specific versions they are using, except I've sent them both in for repairs for an unrelated hardware issue. Note: Never buy HP. However, my old Dell device doesn't have this issue at all. Ironically, the Dell device has an older display adapter, so it seems like the newer ones are simply incompatible with Nexon's external chat window. That also suggests unsurprisingly enough that Nexon is using outdated code.

I assume you are using a Windows OS. If you go to Start, search "Device Manager" and go to Display Adapters, you can check what version you have. You might see multiple adapters, but from what I have been able to determine, only the Intel(R) HD Graphics ones cause this issue with MapleStory.

Can you tell us what DIsplay Adapter you have? That is, what are the numbers after Intel(R) HD Graphics for you?

By the way, this issue has been going on for months now. I couldn't figure out what was causing the issue until I found a bunch of other people sharing the same issue. Many of those people eventually ended up quitting MapleStory because they didn't know it was just an external chat issue; they thought MapleStory just wouldn't load, period. A very large amount of historical bug reports were also submitted on behalf of these players, but Nexon never got around to fixing the issue. So the players that are afflicted by this issue end up quitting when they find no recourse to load the game (because again, they don't know it's the external chat issue), and those players that become wiser end up having to play the game without the benefit of external chat, like myself. Hooray for Nexon.
  • AllowedAllowed
    edited January 2020
    Artifex wrote: »
    I learned that this issue happens for anyone with a certain line of display adapters. I purchased 2 new HP devices, for example. Both of them have different display adapters but they are similar enough to share the issue. I'd tell you the specific versions they are using, except I've sent them both in for repairs for an unrelated hardware issue. Note: Never buy HP. However, my old Dell device doesn't have this issue at all. Ironically, the Dell device has an older display adapter, so it seems like the newer ones are simply incompatible with Nexon's external chat window. That also suggests unsurprisingly enough that Nexon is using outdated code.

I assume you are using a Windows OS. If you go to Start, search "Device Manager" and go to Display Adapters, you can check what version you have. You might see multiple adapters, but from what I have been able to determine, only the Intel(R) HD Graphics ones cause this issue with MapleStory.

Can you tell us what DIsplay Adapter you have? That is, what are the numbers after Intel(R) HD Graphics for you?

By the way, this issue has been going on for months now. I couldn't figure out what was causing the issue until I found a bunch of other people sharing the same issue. Many of those people eventually ended up quitting MapleStory because they didn't know it was just an external chat issue; they thought MapleStory just wouldn't load, period. A very large amount of historical bug reports were also submitted on behalf of these players, but Nexon never got around to fixing the issue. So the players that are afflicted by this issue end up quitting when they find no recourse to load the game (because again, they don't know it's the external chat issue), and those players that become wiser end up having to play the game without the benefit of external chat, like myself. Hooray for Nexon.

I am using nvidia card not intel
  • AllowedAllowed
    edited January 2020
    Rexaar wrote: »
    Try pressing alt-enter to enter full screen mode before logging in.

Ay lmao this fixed it how could i forget something this simple uwu