[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why is EMS merging with GMS?

TubaTuba
Reactions: 3,175
edited November 2016 in General Chat
So I think this is a question that needs to be asked as I don't understand the reasoning behind it, I also haven't found a solid answer.
I know the CEO of Nexon Korea is being arrested due to fraud, so does this have something to do with EMS merging?
Could the arrest have an effect on all Nexon regions in any type of way?

SOURCE:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/18/world/asia/top-south-korean-prosecutor-arrested-on-charges-that-he-accepted-bribes.html

Comments

• Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited November 2016
    I don't think that article lead to the action of the merge, and I believe the reason lies in these words as presented in the accouncements:
    If you are a Nexon America player, there is no real impact to your service.

As a Nexon Europe player, there will be some behind-the-scenes actions to migrate your account to the new service.
    Why is the European service being migrated?
    This migration is part of our ongoing commitment to better position the company for growth across the Western market.
    It may be from the lack of players, therefore they're doing all this work so it'll be easier to manage both communities, or soon just one bigger community.
    TubaJettLuvsU
  • LagTooMuchLagTooMuch
    Reactions: 1,985
    edited November 2016
    GMS will eventually be merged with JMS.
  • TakalaTakala
    Reactions: 640
    edited November 2016
    EMS was brought out after it had already been part of GMS to begin with. It would make sense that the player base isn't as large as it was before so there is no reason to continue paying for the extra employees, buildings, services etc for it.

I simply say: Welcome back everyone. :p
    Tuba
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited November 2016
    NexonNA is fusing with NexonEU, so it's just naturaly that their serivices merge, i think it's better that way?
  • TubaTuba
    edited November 2016
    Ivangold
    Ivangold said:

NexonNA is fusing with NexonEU, so it's just naturaly that their serivices merge, i think it's better that way?
    Takala
    Takala said:

EMS was brought out after it had already been part of GMS to begin with. It would make sense that the player base isn't as large as it was before so there is no reason to continue paying for the extra employees, buildings, services etc for it.

I simply say: Welcome back everyone. :p
    Its2Sharp4U

I don't think that article lead to the action of the merge, and I believe the reason lies in these words as presented in the accouncements:
    If you are a Nexon America player, there is no real impact to your service.

As a Nexon Europe player, there will be some behind-the-scenes actions to migrate your account to the new service.
    Why is the European service being migrated?
    This migration is part of our ongoing commitment to better position the company for growth across the Western market.
    It may be from the lack of players, therefore they're doing all this work so it'll be easier to manage both communities, or soon just one bigger community.

I would say because the market isn't calling for 2 services anymore like they thought it would.
    There will probably be people who will lose their job because of this. It's only going to be 1 client now, not two.
    Less work deploying and translating different clients, and this hopefully means the team will put out higher quality patches in the future.
    LagTooMuch

GMS will eventually be merged with JMS.
    Works with me! I just never heard of merge like this lol seems really random, but that's fine because now I can have some euro friends lmao.
    Takala
  • TakalaTakala
    Reactions: 640
    edited November 2016
    It can definitely seem weird to have different countries joining together, but knowing the backstory helps a bit. <3

I know games in the past have shut down in other countries, then other countries would allow people to register, but I cannot think of a full on merge like this having happened in any I have played before. (So, you had a good/valid question!)

I think it's pretty cool they aren't making people start from scratch :) </b>
    Tuba
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited November 2016
    whhoaaa just merge everyone smh !!! but keep guilds and everything in tact... dont mess with EMS
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited November 2016
    I know some EMS players are mad about the buddie and guild stuff, but it's better than lose all your characters and the whole server you have to yourself, Vietna people and Brazilians lose their versions and problably will never get one back, besides the lost of the progress you had in the game and the delay you have and can't be fixed at all(yes it's been a while but it's good that people don't lose the progress).
  • TubaTuba
    edited November 2016
    BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

whhoaaa just merge everyone smh !!! but keep guilds and everything in tact... dont mess with EMS
    Yeah I feel the same way. I'm honestly not sure why they haven't merged all the regions into one client, but create something to where you can select which region you want to play. Seems a bit stupid to not do that to be honest.
    But that being said could the Nexon Korea CEO, who is now arrested on fraud charges end up shutting down Nexon due to the arrest that has been made? I'm still unclear to if this could effect the other regions in some way? Should we worry about this? I cut down the amount of NX I was buying as soon as the fraud accusations against him came out, but when it was public that he was arrested I completely stopped buying nx. Because if Nexon did shut down the players would not be refunded anything, as it states in the TOS.

2.7 NX, Purchase of Virtual Items and Account Balances.

While using the Service, you may have the opportunity to visit online and in-game “stores” where you can obtain and use Nexon’s virtual currency, known as NX, and digital, in-game items. Anything obtained in our stores is not purchased by you, but rather is licensed to you under the terms of this ToS and the applicable agreements. NX has no "real world" value, but may be exchanged for in-game items. You acknowledge that the NX acquired through the Service is not real currency or any type of financial instrument and is not redeemable for any sum of money from us at any time. REGARDLESS OF THE CONSIDERATION OFFERED OR PAID IN EXCHANGE FOR VIRTUAL CURRENCY, YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY OWNERSHIP RIGHTS IN THE ITEMS OBTAINED WITH VIRTUAL CURRENCY.

All purchases of NX and/or virtual items in our stores are subject to our Terms of Sale policy. All purchases made through third party distribution platforms (e.g., purchases made on Steam) are subject to that third party platform’s terms and conditions.

We have no obligation or responsibility to and will not reimburse you for any item or any NX lost due to your violations of this ToS or any other applicable agreement.

So what do you guys think about this?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    It's not the CEO, it's the founder/owner. And why would he shut it down? He can still earn money even if he goes to prison.
    Also that article you linked is from July, and Nexon Korea is still going strong.

As for merging all regions into one client:
    - They'd still have to have different languages
    - They'd still have to have servers in different areas of the world (for load sharing and for decent ping)
    - They'd still have to have different ways to buy NX, depending on distribution methods and laws in each region
    And if they're going to have that, they might as well tailor each language version to be better suited to the local culture. Events for regional holidays, and such.
    Also
    - It might still be more profitable to sell the rights to publish the game to another company for some regions

Which is basically what we have now.
    Lilyflower
  • Liege_LelouchLiege_Lelouch
    Reactions: 910
    edited November 2016
    Because EMS is dead in the waters and the staff are non existent.
  • TubaTuba
    edited November 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

It's not the CEO, it's the founder/owner. And why would he shut it down? He can still earn money even if he goes to prison.
    Also that article you linked is from July, and Nexon Korea is still going strong.

As for merging all regions into one client:
    - They'd still have to have different languages
    - They'd still have to have servers in different areas of the world (for load sharing and for decent ping)
    - They'd still have to have different ways to buy NX, depending on distribution methods and laws in each region
    And if they're going to have that, they might as well tailor each language version to be better suited to the local culture. Events for regional holidays, and such.
    Also
    - It might still be more profitable to sell the rights to publish the game to another company for some regions

Which is basically what we have now.
    So there were a bunch of articles about this arrest with the founder/owner. Some with slightly different details, so I'm sorry I didn't get his position in the company correct, as a CEO and owner still hold pretty high positions in the company. I don't know why he would shut it down that was kind of the point of my post. Again, there were a bunch of articles I found discussing this. Depending on the severity of the charges the outcome may vary. Also from what I heard KMS isn't doing too well, as I watch a YouTuber who plays KMS, and last I heard he said it was really bad atm. He didn't go into too much detail but that could be just one game from Nexon Korea.
    So in regards to what you said about my idea of merging all regions into one server, it's common sense that stuff would have to happen according to region. That's why the EMS region world has french/dutch languages in it. Obviously there would have to be changes per region you select, again that's common sense. It just seems more convenient to have them all in one client.
  • immalilmonstarimmalilmonstar
    Reactions: 500
    edited November 2016
    Because GMS is called Global Maplestory????????????????????????????????????????

you know....Global? we should accept globally guys
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2016
    immalilmonstar

it's only called "Global" maple because it's meant to service areas that do not have/ do not need a central version for their own area. otherwise it would just be called maple America or Maple NA
    Tuba
  • TubaTuba
    edited November 2016
    immalilmonstar

And global means worldwide lol.
    Your comment honestly made my day thank you lmao
  • JorjaxJorjax
    Reactions: 865
    edited November 2016
    To get more livestock = more money in the pool = to fund their game = to improve KMS gaming capacity and leaving us with something else.

#MaplePhilosphy. Pretty much it.. what else is there?

Oh right.. considering that 70% of EMS population are botters, scammers, and hackers? <_<''
  • YonaxYonax
    Reactions: 3,016
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Jorjax
    Jorjax said:

To get more livestock = more money in the pool = to fund their game = to improve KMS gaming capacity and leaving us with something else.

Oh right.. considering that 70% of EMS population are botters, scammers, and hackers? <_<''</p>
    Show some facts please.
  • TubaTuba
    edited November 2016
    Jorjax
    Jorjax said:

Oh right.. considering that 70% of EMS population are botters, scammers, and hackers? <_<''</p>
    I would add onto your reply but I don't want to trigger someone again and get banned somehow, as I seem to already have a warning for calling someones opinions about politics idiotic lol. I don't know where there is a forums if you can't express your opinions, and have discussions with people. Anyways, I hope you don't feel 'attacked' because of my reply lmfao. #TriggeredTina2k16 #SafeSpaceKids
  • DeadMalcolmDeadMalcolm
    Reactions: 1,640
    edited November 2016
    Ivangold
    Ivangold said:

Naw NA takes no lost from this migration but EU loses alot read their forums it explains on everything that will be changing on EU

• PermolasPermolas
    Reactions: 340
    edited November 2016
    Jorjax
    Jorjax said:

Bullshit, get your facts right.

Hackers and botters on EMS nowadays are non-existant. They have pretty much dissapeared from the scene since over more than a year , hence why the NX rates plummeted and on the other side the black market prices have raised by a lot.

Obviously this is going to change after the merge since hackers will try to take advantage of the much better economy and rates than EMS has and we will get flooded of hackers once again like it currently happens on GMS.
    Yonax