[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

PIC for storage

Comments

• pat159pat159
    Reactions: 1,090
    edited April 2020
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Rokani wrote: »
    HHG1 wrote: »
    The pin exists to protect players items if they are on a public or shared computer (more commonly net cafes in kms).

For its intended function, it works perfectly fine. It seems pointless to you because you're attributing it, incorrectly, to preventing hackers from getting at your nodes or storage items when, in reality, it's to prevent someone from screwing with your items or nodes when you get up from your PC in a public setting.

If that's the case let people stupid enough to not log out suffer the consequences.

So if you were to leave your game unattended to, oh I don't know, use the bathroom or get something to eat or drink, and I came over and disassembled all of your nodes, raided your storage and dropped everything on the ground, you'd be okay with it? Since, in your words, people who are stupid enough to not log out should suffer the consequences.

What you said has to be the most asinine, self-centered, hot-garbage take I've ever seen posted.

So basically what you're implying is that since a mere handful of players leave their pc to do something while in a public place we have to put up with a useless system like this? So if i get a handful of people that need something else in the game that 90% of the rest of the population doesn't want they should implement it? Should be a thing of majority and after that the minority conforms to what the majority of the population wants or prefers. Out of all the threads out there, you are the first one i find that sees this as not annoying or problematic. Compared to hundreds disagreeing with the implementation of this pretty much useless security. Like others said, you most likely have just as much valuable items on your characters inventory as in you storage. So following your logic should they also ask you to enter PIC for selling or buying from a npc merchant? For trading? For each item you drop? For every action that spends any mesos whatsoever? If you leave your account unattended like that at a public place that's your own fault, if you have to go grab something, lock your session before leaving.
  • GoldAdventurerGoldAdventurer
    Reactions: 2,645
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2020
    It was not mentioned that PIC for storage is required. I would consider to remove that requirement for storage access.
    Most of overseas even don't have it!
    pat159
  • ExcessH20ExcessH20
    Reactions: 470
    The storage thing is so arbitrary and isn't even the worst thing a random could do to your account. You may as well add:

PIC for any attempted item drop
    PIC for every cube and starforce attempt
    PIC for any action in the auction house that isn't a search
    PIC for entry into any shop NPC and for every attempted item sale

If you really want to add something like this, then maybe you could create an option to temporarily lock your character and have THAT be gated by a PIC entry.
    pat159XenonFunzFootball5
  • RokaniRokani
    Reactions: 1,220
    edited April 2020
    So if you were to leave your game unattended to, oh I don't know, use the bathroom or get something to eat or drink, and I came over and disassembled all of your nodes, raided your storage and dropped everything on the ground, you'd be okay with it? Since, in your words, people who are stupid enough to not log out should suffer the consequences.

What you said has to be the most asinine, self-centered, hot-garbage take I've ever seen posted.

Yes, I can fully accept my own stupidity for not logging out in a public setting when leaving something unattended and having someone come up and grief my account.
    pat159Dnaman101EXdest
  • XenonFunzXenonFunz
    Reactions: 1,150
    edited April 2020
    ExcessH20 wrote: »
    The storage thing is so arbitrary and isn't even the worst thing a random could do to your account. You may as well add:

PIC for any attempted item drop
    PIC for every cube and starforce attempt
    PIC for any action in the auction house that isn't a search
    PIC for entry into any shop NPC and for every attempted item sale

If you really want to add something like this, then maybe you could create an option to temporarily lock your character and have THAT be gated by a PIC entry.

Didn't KMS have something like this in the past where you could toggle internet cafe mode on by entering your pic?

and as all the others have stated,
    If you've left your computer in a public setting unattended, the chances that the stranger even knows what things do in the game is questionable...
    Moreso who leaves their computers left unattended?

I'd also like to point out that the game is over 16GB of data. Who in North America would go to an internet cafe and download 16GB just to play Maplestory?
    It's ridiculous.

There is absolutely NO reason for the pic to be on the storage at all.
    pat159Dnaman101
  • SilentJudicatorSilentJudicator
    Reactions: 880
    edited April 2020
    Or how about if you access maple from another IP address than the one you're usually on, you need to put in the PIC, that would save a lot of hassle as well? Just exploring options here. But the current storage PIC HAS to go. Stupidest idea to ever be implemented.
    pat159XenonFunzDnaman101
  • iNatiNat
    Reactions: 1,480
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2020
    they should remove this for reboot, I can understand why non-reboot needs it but come on reboot servers don't need this
  • BBQTimeBBQTime
    Reactions: 1,080
    edited April 2020
    iNat wrote: »
    they should remove this for reboot, I can understand why non-reboot needs it but come on reboot servers don't need this

no i don't understand why no reboot needs it, why do we have to suffer every single day?
    Dnaman101
  • KrimlockKrimlock
    Reactions: 1,840
    edited April 2020
    Eh i could care less about it i been xfering items from my 48 characters for like 20 mins my pic is good mix of letters, numbers, that i can quickly click in...

Only reason i can see people are getting goofy over this is if they have a stupidly long PIC or have missed click and got the try again message and its upset them XD

There is a lot of online Free-to-Play games that use PIC or second password system for storage BUT the difference here is in those games you enter the PIC on time to get into your bank/storage w/e and thats it you can go in and out at will on all characters, but here! you got to enter it every single time you change characters.

What im trying to say is yes its a great idea but it fails on execution, they should have made it a one time thing for storage seeing as if i get in on one character it makes no sense to make me enter it on EVERY CHARACTER i log in cause after the first one if i was a hacker i'd have emptied that storage post haste and im not going back in it i would have no reason to!
    Dnaman101
  • CarlacCarlac
    Reactions: 1,060
    edited April 2020
    I echo all of the other remarks. It is a silly waste of time. Unless someone smarter than me is out there, I see no rationale for this. Can someone at the NEXON braintrust tell me what you were thinking in doing this?
    Dnaman101
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited May 2020
    Dnaman101 wrote: »
    Rokani wrote: »
    Honestly if someone got into my account or w/e having them put the pic in again isn't going to stop them.

This!

I think it is implemented in kms because a lot of people play in gaming caffes, i guess it was to prevent trolls from going into the players computer and sell all his nodes, drop his stuff while he/she was at the bathroom , getting a drink, etc.
    The problem is that in non asian countries, i belief playing in cafes isnt as popular as there, so we dont have that problem, but they implemented it regardless without even asking the community nor informing about it. Which is what really annoys me. No one asked for this, no one needed it in GMS, yet they implemented it. Sigh... sometimes is very disappointing to play this game.
    I love maplestory but sometimes they make it really hard for me to find motivation to play.
  • val98val98
    Reactions: 380
    edited May 2020
    an easy middle ground would just give us the option to turn it off or on. give us a choice
    Fuhreak
  • quangiequangie
    Reactions: 400
    edited May 2020
    val98 wrote: »
    an easy middle ground would just give us the option to turn it off or on. give us a choice

This is probably the best thing they could do for a change like this. Some people welcome the storage PIC but it's actually very useless and frustrating for me. Especially combined with the fact that storage doesn't even open for awhile after you close it.
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited May 2020
    I think that having a PIC is supposed to be good though if someone is trying to go in your storage if let's say hacked account then take off with your items. The only issue is its not too likely at times if you keep your information secure.

I am in favor of it cause all safety precautions are put in place to help protect your valuables. This safety measure is meant so we wouldn't need to "voice" our concerns.

I understand the concerns and anger but all of this leads to a great maple and to make this game great again. ;)
  • SilentJudicatorSilentJudicator
    Reactions: 880
    edited May 2020

Just remove it altogether. In all seriousness, if your account is breached that PIC does NOT protect your items at all. Right now and for the foreseeable future, this feature is nothing but an annoyance for those of us who need to equip our mules and access the storage.
    Dnaman101
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited May 2020

Just remove it altogether. In all seriousness, if your account is breached that PIC does NOT protect your items at all. Right now and for the foreseeable future, this feature is nothing but an annoyance for those of us who need to equip our mules and access the storage.

I think Nexon has a back up in their system so if it were to happen I think they could time travel and get your account back. That's what I remember a gm told me.