[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Kanna's Flaws and Potential Improvements

DuduzzingDuduzzing
Reactions: 530
edited May 2020 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Hi, I'm a Kanna player from Bera and I want to share my experience with Kanna after reaching Lv 250 with her. There are many flaws in this job and I included some potential improvements.

1. Barriers are too risky.
Barriers provide important boosts to Kanna, so it is encouraged to be used during battles. However, the current design of barriers is very inflexible. First, barriers become useless against agile bosses like Damien and Lucid. Second, barriers are too small. If barriers are designed to benefit party members, it should be bigger since different jobs attack from different ranges. Third, barriers reduce mana restoration speed. With 3 barriers, mana restoration stops completely. Even if a barrier is upgraded by consuming a vein, she'll suffer from low mana once she leaves it.

Potential improvements:
First, adding the barrier-removal feature. In the current design, Kanna has to suffer the mana restoration reduction until the barriers dissipate. If she can remove the barriers by herself (like how Ghost Yaksha Boss can be removed), it will become much easier to manage mana. Second, increasing the range of barriers. The increased size will provide more flexibility in bossing. Third, removing/reducing the mana reduction of barriers. Kanna suffers a lack of mana when even a single barrier is up. So reducing the barrier's burden will help her to manage mana better.

2. Lack of Mana.
Kanna restores about 12 mana/sec and it gets even slower with barriers up. Many of her skills are mana-intensive such as Nine-Tailed Fury (60), Ghost Yaksha Boss (40), Exorcist's Charm (40), and Haku (50). I often find her low on mana after some use of Boss, Exocist's Charm, and Tengu. There are three ways of replenishing mana other then auto-regeneration: Mana vein, Shikigami Haunting third hit, and Mana Balance. Mana veins are quite small and unreliable, Haunting's third hit is ok but not so effective, and Mana Balancing is too risky. Additionally, Mana Balance uses 50% of hp to instantly gain 80 mana. Losing half of the health is very risky during a boss battle, especially when power elixir can't fully heal Kanna and many bosses have potion cooldown.

Potential improvements:
First, increase her mana-regeneration rate. Somewhere between the current rate and the rate while on vein might be good. Second, add more ways to get mana like Shikigami Haunting. For example, if Yaksha Boss gives mana on his third hit, it might help her with mana management. Third, Mana Balance should fully restore mana. Losing 50% of health is very risky, so gaining full mana might compensate for its risk. Forth, allow her to find more mana veins.

3. Falling Sakura's healing range is too short.
First of all, the skill text doesn't specify the range of its healing, so adding it will be helpful. After some testing, I found out that the party member has to be as close as the caster's android to receive the healing effect. The maximum range is a bit farther than that but it is still too short. Also, since it only heals when Falling Sakura hits a mob, it will be nice if it doesn't cast if there are no mobs around or it heals regardless of hitting mobs.

4. Minions can't crit.
Currently, Ghost Yaksha Boss, Kishin, and Sprit's Domain's can't deal critical damage. Minions from other jobs deal critical damage; there's no reason why her minions shouldn't crit. This is a big loss in damage.

5. Kishin's boost nodes are useless.
Kishin's current boost node is: Lv 20: critical rate +5% and Lv 40 IED +20%. Both effects are basically useless because Kishin can't crit and it is not a bossing skill. We can let Kishin do crit damage and change Lv 40 bonus to +1 target like other minions usually have.

6. Shikigami Charm's cooldown is too long.
The high jump is one of the most important factors in agility, and 6 seconds cooldown is painfully long. I see no reason why there should be a cooldown in the first place. Removal or reduction of the cooldown will be helpful.

7. Kishin and Spirit's Domain doesn't show the remaining duration.
Kishin doesn't show it at all and Domain only shows it while the caster is inside it. It's hard to keep track of them without knowing the remaining duration of those skills. Making it show up at the right top corner of the screens will be helpful.

8. Haku's fan can only take Magic Attack in potential and bonus potential.
Other jobs are able to utilize other lines such as BD% and IED% in their secondary, but Kanna can't. This absurd design is a huge disadvantage for Kanna users. Since Haku only cares about the M.Att stat of the fan for his buff anyways, we could let Kanna benefit from other lines than M.Att in her secondary like other jobs.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope there are many people in this community who cares about Kanna as a class.

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited May 2020
    "My stupidly overpowered class isn't strong enough yet"

k m8
    innncgVyrtaeProphetieKittenCoalition
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited May 2020
    While I understand wanting more QoL changes, kanna is currently the strongest character in maple. Further increasing her damage is frankly an absurd request.
  • innncginnncg
    Reactions: 555
    edited May 2020
    Why do not we change Shikigami Haunting Boost from 5% to 2% per level? 4th job skill only receive 2% boost for all other classes except kanna.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited May 2020
    innncg wrote: »
    Why do not we change Shikigami Haunting Boost from 5% to 2% per level? 4th job skill only receive 2% boost for all other classes except kanna.

And that right there is why all but point #7 of OP's post is laughable.
  • SpairahSpairah
    Reactions: 400
    edited May 2020
    I agree, Kanna right now needs some improvements. Kannas do not have enough IED to do bosses, I suggest a passive that gives all Kannas 50% IED. One problem is that kanna's domains do not stack, spirit domain should stack if there are more than one in a party. We also lack Iframes, giving us an iframe, or simply giving Kannas fullinvulnerability during spirit's domain would help. Of course kannas could die while charging the domain, so it should always activate fully charged, no more charging. There is no reason that Kanna's mana cannot regenerate with potions, so allowing potions to regenerate mana would help. Boss and kishin not critting is an issue, they should definitely crit, we also don't have high base crit or crit dmg, another passive giving us 30% crit and 50% crit dmg would alleviate that too. Yuki ona should not have a cooldown, as that heal is very useful and needed during bosses as we can't heal due to potion cooldowns except from haku's buffs. Which reminds me that fans should give 100% of the magic attack in buffs rather than 40%, just like mage shield secondary. Finally kannas should be worshipped like the god they are; all hail Kannas.
  • AaronHuskyAaronHusky
    Reactions: 2,485
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2020
    1. I think this is a somewhat valid point. Barriers could stand to be a little larger, and a feature to remove them would be a good idea. However, there should be some kind of trade off, considering How powerful the barrier boosts are, and how they essentially have 100% uptime. Maybe make it so Kanna has half her MP regen with all three barriers out.

2. This point runs into the issue of making Kanna, already considered the best class in the game, even stronger. I think if Kanna was able to weave Tengu in bossing without mana issues, the damage of either Tengu or Haunting would need to be toned down to compensate. I think hyper stat mana, yuki-musume, and spirit domain should help alleviate mana issues too. The only time you should be using Vanquisher Charm anyway is to charge Domain. Plus Kanna shouldn't have mana issues while training either. Only while bossing.

The skills you mentioned also have certain benefits that offset their high Mana cost. Haku buffs you and lasts 10 minutes. Nine tailed- Fury gives you a damage buff + final attack and is an FMA. Ghost Yaksha is a summon with huge AoE and lasts 30 seconds. Their cooldowns also allow you to regen the mana you lost before you can use them again.

3. I can't really comment on this point, sorry.

4. Kanna's summons being unable to crit is silly, but the issue of making Kanna too strong comes up again. Summon damage would have to be nerfed if it were to happen.

5. Crit Rate +5% on a skill that doesn't crit is useless, but 20% IED is actually quite helpful. Plus Kishin is extra damage in bosses.

6. I think Shikigami Charm having a cooldown is fine. Kanna also has one of the best teleports in the game.

7. This is something that needs to happen tbh. It's kind of strange that they don't already.

8. This would be a good change I think. Kanna not benefiting from BD or IED on Haku's fan is a bit of a weird design choice.

I think a lot of your changes seem reasonable, but do also consider that Kanna's the best class in the game. Some of your changes would need to come at a cost to prevent her from becoming even more overpowered.
    Spairah wrote: »
    I agree, Kanna right now needs some improvements. Kannas do not have enough IED to do bosses, I suggest a passive that gives all Kannas 50% IED. One problem is that kanna's domains do not stack, spirit domain should stack if there are more than one in a party. We also lack Iframes, giving us an iframe, or simply giving Kannas fullinvulnerability during spirit's domain would help. Of course kannas could die while charging the domain, so it should always activate fully charged, no more charging. There is no reason that Kanna's mana cannot regenerate with potions, so allowing potions to regenerate mana would help. Boss and kishin not critting is an issue, they should definitely crit, we also don't have high base crit or crit dmg, another passive giving us 30% crit and 50% crit dmg would alleviate that too. Yuki ona should not have a cooldown, as that heal is very useful and needed during bosses as we can't heal due to potion cooldowns except from haku's buffs. Which reminds me that fans should give 100% of the magic attack in buffs rather than 40%, just like mage shield secondary. Finally kannas should be worshipped like the god they are; all hail Kannas.

i can't tell if you're being serious or not but i hate this

• DuduzzingDuduzzing
    Reactions: 530
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for your criticism, AaronHusky. I see that people are concerned about her becoming OP with the suggestions I proposed, which is understandable. I want to focus on the QoL parts of the suggestions. Changes could be made so that Kanna can become a more reliable supporter job even if it requires some damage nerf.
  • ProphetieProphetie
    Reactions: 915
    edited May 2020
    The only changes I'd make to Kanna is to remove the damage from Domain or make the ticks MUCH slower and fix the bugs that get legit players banned when servers lag.
    Kanna's already the best at pretty much everything and ,on Reboot, you'll see 3 Kanna for any of the fourty something other classes.
    Timer for Domain would be pretty neat tho
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited May 2020
    Duduzzing wrote: »
    Changes could be made so that Kanna can become a more reliable supporter job even if it requires some damage nerf.

lol

• AggraphineAggraphine
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for your criticism, AaronHusky. I see that people are concerned about her becoming OP with the suggestions I proposed, which is understandable. I want to focus on the QoL parts of the suggestions. Changes could be made so that Kanna can become a more reliable supporter job even if it requires some damage nerf.
    concerned about her becoming OP
    becoming

ENV4MsB.jpg

Are... are you playing the same game as the rest of us?
    ProphetieKittenCoalitionArgent
  • Leonana69Leonana69
    Reactions: 405
    edited May 2020
    HAYATO: LOOK AT ME AND SAY THOSE AGAIN.
  • ShadowRikuShadowRiku
    Reactions: 900
    edited May 2020
    Or we just leave it how it is for right now, lol.
  • ArgentArgent
    Reactions: 3,090
    edited May 2020
    1. Barriers are too risky.
    We asked for the ability to right click warding barrier to dispel all barriers shortly after the revamp last year, nothing has changed. Other than that, barriers only need bug fixes; make barriers visible to party members in bosses and make fortified barriers area of effect match the visuals. The down side for barriers are intended and don't need to be removed.

2. Lack of Mana.
    Invest in Mana Hyper stat, you can get to 200 max. Use Yuki. There should be little reason for you to be having mana issues unless you are playing carelessly.

3. Falling Sakura's healing range is too short.
    Yeah the healbox is fairly small.

4. Minions can't crit.
    No summons crit. It's a bummer but they aren't meant to.

5. Kishin's boost nodes are useless.
    Sure. Other classes need to have their effects looked at too, lot of effects out there that don't make a whole lot of sense.

6. Shikigami Charm's cooldown is too long.
    It is fine, and it is the same as it was before the revamp. Your teleport is more than enough for virtually all situations.

7. Kishin and Spirit's Domain doesn't show the remaining duration.
    Minor QoL but sure.

8. Haku's fan can only take Magic Attack in potential and bonus potential.
    Can't really disagree since starring/cubing is just as expensive as any other primary weapon. However, she currently makes up for it else where and depending on what happens with familiars, you'll still probably be going for Matk.

I doubt we'll get anything before we get nerfs though. Kanna is in an incredibly good position right now and has very few short comings. Frankly, the class is so good that should Nexon be planning any future V skills, she's going to have to give up something.