[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Please let us turn smegas off.

PoplmonPoplmon
Reactions: 850
edited November 2020 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
With the revamp to the MVP system, including the addition of MVP Red as well as the more plentiful rewards, there's been a lot of criticism, not the least of which being the new Hyper Megaphones, which are the same color as Alliance chat and very close to the system alerts/MapleTips.

However, one problem I've had in the past is now worse than ever: megaphone spam. Megaphones can be helpful, from helping people to get carries in Reboot to advertising MVP buff trains, advertising guilds, and showing love for your friends who reach milestones. However, the inability to toggle them on and off, be it in the settings or the individual chat tabs, is an issue. Communicating with a guild/party is nearly impossible when there's a consistant flow of global chat messages that, frankly, I don't care about. It's cool that someone hit 275, but when I'm trying to learn how to do a boss through the miniscule character limits, sifting through pointless megaphones that aren't relevant to me seems like something I shouldn't have to do.

One fact that bugs me about this is that the style box winners are a part of "All", so they can be turned off from tab to tab. Why aren't megaphones bundled in with that? Why can't megaphones have their own option?

All that being said, I beg you Nexon, please let us turn megaphones off. Also give us gay marriage, it's 2020.
Porter

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited November 2020
    Poplmon wrote: »
    Also give us gay marriage, it's 2020.

Yeah? Well it was 2019, 2018 2017 and probably 2016 at some point. Why's it matter?

This remains the single worst reasoning for doing something that has ever been. So what if it's 2020? "It's <current year>" has absolutely no meaning or merit to it. It's a hand-wave, a cop-out. It shows that you can't come up with a single compelling argument in favor of a change being made.

And before anyone decides to open their mouths about it, I have no issue with same-sex marriage. I take issue with the argument of "it's <current year> already, just do it". It's devoid of any substance or merit, it's low-effort. If you really care about something, put up an actual argument instead of pointing at the calendar.
    Fuhreak
  • AusaStarAusaStar
    Reactions: 770
    edited November 2020
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    And before anyone decides to open their mouths about it, I have no issue

I mean... you still appear to have an issue with everything else that is posted here on this forum. You are seen replying in practically every thread with this pointed, condescending vernacular as if you're personally offended by other players' feedback that is directed towards, not you, but Nexon. Do you enjoy playing MapleStory? The amount of energy you seem to put into your replies looks exhausting.

It's devoid of any substance or merit, it's low-effort. If you really care about something, put up an actual argument instead of pointing at the calendar.

My god, it's a game. OP already gave a clear, articulately written explanation for their feedback. And what else is there to expand upon asking for same-sex marriage? What are they going to do, write an essay about Stonewall for you?

Yeah? Well it was 2019, 2018 2017 and probably 2016 at some point. Why's it matter?

It matters because the world outside of MapleStory is continuously evolving, becoming more progressive and inclusive as time goes on. It matters because one year humanity takes a step forward compared to the previous year. It's been 5 years since same-sex marriage was finally legalized in the United States. Saying "it's 2020" is highlighting to Nexon of America how ridiculous it is that their players are still asking for it.
    Porter
  • iSouvenirsiSouvenirs
    Reactions: 1,155
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2020
    While this might not help, if you play in windows mode with external chat then megaphones have their own box. I wish we could implement something like that in full screen mode/internal chat.
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited November 2020
    AusaStar wrote: »
    And before anyone decides to open their mouths about it, I have no issue

I mean... you still appear to have an issue with everything else that is posted here on this forum. You are seen replying in practically every thread with this pointed, condescending vernacular as if you're personally offended by other players' feedback that is directed towards, not you, but Nexon. Do you enjoy playing MapleStory? The amount of energy you seem to put into your replies looks exhausting.

It's devoid of any substance or merit, it's low-effort. If you really care about something, put up an actual argument instead of pointing at the calendar.

My god, it's a game. OP already gave a clear, articulately written explanation for their feedback. And what else is there to expand upon asking for same-sex marriage? What are they going to do, write an essay about Stonewall for you?

It matters because the world outside of MapleStory is continuously evolving, becoming more progressive and inclusive as time goes on. It matters because one year humanity takes a step forward compared to the previous year. It's been 5 years since same-sex marriage was finally legalized in the United States. Saying "it's 2020" is highlighting to Nexon of America how ridiculous it is that their players are still asking for it.

He's the kind of guy who watched one too many Ben Sharpiro wrecks college kids videos and think he's some hot $hit debating on game forum. Veryyyy edgy lol
    Porter
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,950
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2020
    About time someone called Aggraphine out on this. He always finds some way to argue against almost every single thing that anyone suggests, no matter how well forumulated and thought out the suggestion is. He's been doing this way too long and no one's ever been able to so completely shut his arguments down like this. And often people bandwagon his response when all he seems to do is put down any suggestions anyone posts. (There have been times I was misinformed so my suggestion actually was bad, but that's not the point he does this to everyone for most suggestions).

Edit: Also is that the actual Cr1tikal or just someone using his YouTube channel's name, I know he talks exactly like that in his videos.
    PorterTikus
  • MeatMeat
    Reactions: 715
    edited December 2020
    Being able to block smegas defeats their whole purpose, which is to display a message to everybody who is currently online. If anybody can block a smega in the options menu then the item suddenly has a lot less value, which is particularly relevant when it comes to selling items and services.

The simplest and most reasonable solution is to change the text of the new megaphones.
  • MargoVioletMargoViolet
    Reactions: 820
    edited December 2020

This remains the single worst reasoning for doing something that has ever been. So what if it's 2020? "It's <current year>" has absolutely no meaning or merit to it. It's a hand-wave, a cop-out. It shows that you can't come up with a single compelling argument in favor of a change being made.

And before anyone decides to open their mouths about it, I have no issue with same-sex marriage. I take issue with the argument of "it's <current year> already, just do it". It's devoid of any substance or merit, it's low-effort. If you really care about something, put up an actual argument instead of pointing at the calendar.

Actually the year in which an argument is being made can be an significant component to said arguments validity. A year provides context for the social setting/values of that time - If you continued down your line of condescending thinking, you would get to a year after 2016 in which the issue of providing gay representation in a video game wasn't something being vocalized by a large group, either because of social pressure or lack of open mindedness. So you can see how stating 'because it's <current year>' after your 'feedback' can very well explain the discrepancy between widespread social values and how a company is reflecting those values. If you don't understand the correlation made you are not climatized to western culture.

- also, 'this remains the single worst reasoning for doing something that has ever been'... Why are you discrediting all of your decently valid pessimistic feedback with this unsubstantiated statement?
    Portergigatrap
This discussion has been closed.