[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Feature Request] Linux port or support for Proton

xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
Reactions: 2,440
edited March 2022 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I think it would be very beneficial if Nexon could adapt the anti-cheat software which currently only runs and operates on Windows, as well as MapleStory as a whole, to work on Valve's SteamDeck platform as well as SteamOS, and any port of GNU/Linux with Steam and Proton.

MapleStory support for SteamOS (which is GNU/Linux with the Proton system) which would also benefit not just the SteamDeck users, but users running operating systems on desktops and laptops based on GNU/Linux and maybe even FreeBSD.

Currently, MapleStory is listed in the Proton Database as "borked" or broken.

https://www.protondb.com/app/216150

It would be beneficial greatly to NOT pass up this opportunity for all players of GMS, but equally it would benefit other regional MapleStory editions too like KMS, MapleSEA, and other regions where SteamDecks will eventually become available.

Support for SteamOS, Proton, and GNU/Linux is a win-win.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2022
    I think Nexon considers GEForce Now the solution to running Maplestory on anything that isn't Windows.
  • xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
    edited March 2022
    AKradian wrote: »
    I think Nexon considers GEForce Now the solution to running Maplestory on anything that isn't Windows.

GeForce NOW is always running into issues with anything and everything. Companies first allow them, then they don't. Plus, as a premium service, it's not free. As a gamer, I really don't find them to be reliable, especially if everything is streamed and not everyone will have a connection to the internet that can truly support GeForce NOW. I have a pretty good connection, but that's my use-case. Plus, Maple is free. Why place it on a premium pay-to-use service?

They already have a presence on Steam as it is. If the anticheat is the issue, then at least add a database entry for Wine or Proton 7.x allowances or change the anticheat to be serverside rather than clientside.

It would be nice to one day see "Platinum Status" on ProtonDB for MapleStory.

However this next reason is the real one that needs to br considered:

We all know Windows 10 is the last stop for MANY PCs. There is no update to Windows 11 for many more. The next choice people are going to have is some sort of GNU/Linux distribution like Ubuntu when support for 10 goes kaput. This is where NexonNA and NexonKR could pull a Minecraft. Support for Windows and GNU/Linux equally would give Maplers a choice.
  • iRageOrangesiRageOranges
    Reactions: 200
    DXVK is the vulkan-based translation layer which Proton uses works perfectly on MapleStory on Windows and makes the game much more enjoyable since DX9 is horrid in 2022. This indicates MapleStory would run perfectly on Linux via Proton if Nexon's anti-cheat supported Linux. Tim Sweeney Epic's CEO isn't confident they'd be able to stop cheaters on Linux even though their anti-cheat supports it which is why Fortnite isn't supported either.

• xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
    edited March 2022
    DXVK is the vulkan-based translation layer which Proton uses works perfectly on MapleStory on Windows and makes the game much more enjoyable since DX9 is horrid in 2022. This indicates MapleStory would run perfectly on Linux via Proton if Nexon's anti-cheat supported Linux. Tim Sweeney Epic's CEO isn't confident they'd be able to stop cheaters on Linux even though their anti-cheat supports it which is why Fortnite isn't supported either.

Anticheat can be done in various ways, not just client side. MapleStory could transition to a serverside anticheat, similar to what other MMOs like Minecraft Buckit and Spigot do. Plugins that basically disable actions performed by the user on the clientside even if they have clients that allow an action, the server either kicks them or autoflags the user for inspection by a mod. That would completely allow Proton, Wine, or Lutris to work effortlessly.