[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Disable elite boss system

koby9990koby9990
Reactions: 420
edited November 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Well let's addmit the ugly truth.
All the game is full with bot/hackers that abusing the elite boss system. I think that at this circumstances the its better without that system.
  1. Give up on elite boss system?40 votes
    1. Yes
       23% (9 votes)
    2. No
       78% (31 votes)

Comments

• KingStarfireKingStarfire
    Reactions: 1,785
    edited November 2016
    Can we get rid of the potential too? All it does is promote a community that prioritizes about high damage over social interaction.
  • FeverJawsFeverJaws
    Reactions: 640
    edited November 2016
    i mean your pretty dumb are u not? u want to remove one of the best features ever?
    YonaxAramyNakazatoJL
  • genji123genji123
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited November 2016
    I support this. This follows Nexon's logic of doing roundabout ways to solve problems, instead of actually addressing hackers. In turn making the community suffer for it. Just like Magnus anti-hack, removing Star Planet, banning people who unknowingly bought hacked or duped items etc.
  • KingDragonKingDragon
    Reactions: 2,005
    edited November 2016
    KingStarfire

Can we get rid of the potential too? All it does is promote a community that prioritizes about high damage over social interaction.
    they'd have to rebalance the WHOLE game just to make something like that even feasible
  • ShakaAlekShakaAlek
    Reactions: 970
    edited November 2016
    I'm against this, elites are one of the best ways to make mesos for unfunded players that don't get nx, especially if you get into a network of people communicating to each other when one of these bosses spawn. If hackers are a problem, than hacking should be addressed.
  • ZephyrusSpringZephyrusSpring
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited November 2016
    I have to admit the elite boss system isn't well thought out. It promotes and rewards grinding in the same map for ages and we all know that, that's exactly what botters do. Not to mention all the curfuffle its caused with high level players sniping the boss away from the person who actually summoned it.

I think it'd be pretty cool if elite boss spawns (elite monsters stay as is) were tied to sudden missions. Say after completing three an elite boss would spawn the next time you enter a map with monsters around your level. Or it could spawn right then and there when you complete your rd mission, but it should scale to your level appropriately. Obviously the "kill an elite boss" mission would need to be removed. Something like that would make it much more difficult for botters while still keeping the spawn rate somewhat low and not making it overly tedious. We'll lose the elite boss spawn chain that often happens in theme dungeons however.
  • JepjuuJepjuu
    Reactions: 500
    edited November 2016
    Would be nice if you could, for example, somehow disable your kills from counting towards summoning the elite mobs/bosses.

It's really annoying when they spawn while grinding, waste your exp and most of the time only give garbage. That ~1 minute it takes to kill an elite and wait through the bonus stage is a notable amount of exp lost, in the higher levels especially.

Or maybe I'm just too precise with my exp gain. D:
    edited November 2016
    KingDragon

KingStarfire

they'd have to rebalance the WHOLE game just to make something like that even feasible
    Yes and no, bosses would only need to be scaled down a little so it is not impossible but not so much that they can be soloed. Most other stuff is fine. Then maybe is will encourage people to party and make friends again.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited November 2016
    ZephyrusSpring

I have to admit the elite boss system isn't well thought out. It promotes and rewards grinding in the same map for ages and we all know that, that's exactly what botters do. Not to mention all the curfuffle its caused with high level players sniping the boss away from the person who actually summoned it.

I think it'd be pretty cool if elite boss spawns (elite monsters stay as is) were tied to sudden missions. Say after completing three an elite boss would spawn the next time you enter a map with monsters around your level. Or it could spawn right then and there when you complete your rd mission, but it should scale to your level appropriately. Obviously the "kill an elite boss" mission would need to be removed. Something like that would make it much more difficult for botters while still keeping the spawn rate somewhat low and not making it overly tedious. We'll lose the elite boss spawn chain that often happens in theme dungeons however.
    The only thing they need to do is reinstate level range restrictions. It used to be that you got the gold(purple? whatever) boxes from the bonus stage, which you could not participate in if you were beyond the level range of the map. Then they, for whatever stupid reason, changed it so that anyone who hits the boss at least once is guaranteed at least one box. Which promptly shot, straight to hell, the notion of restricting things to the level range of a map.

It needs to go back to that system. If you cannot spawn elite monsters on your own in a map, you should not be getting the rewards from killing an elite boss.

By the way, in regards to the rest of you in this thread, potential is not going anywhere. Regardless of whether you like it or not, or what you feel about it, it is simply not being removed. It would do significantly more damage to the game to have the system that people have sunk literally thousands of dollars into be up and removed from the game than to leave it in.

Would you keep playing if the feature you've spent a good $5000 on over the course of three or four years was suddenly removed with no offer of compensation. No, you wouldn't. And neither would the people who have spent mass amounts of money on potential. And if you think the game is dead now, just think of how dead it would be if everyone who has spent money on cubes or anything relating to potential up and quit en masse because the system was removed.
    Its2Sharp4UAKradianKeepComingBack
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited November 2016
    Aggraphine

ZephyrusSpring

The only thing they need to do is reinstate level range restrictions. It used to be that you got the gold(purple? whatever) boxes from the bonus stage, which you could not participate in if you were beyond the level range of the map. Then they, for whatever stupid reason, changed it so that anyone who hits the boss at least once is guaranteed at least one box. Which promptly shot, straight to hell, the notion of restricting things to the level range of a map.

It needs to go back to that system. If you cannot spawn elite monsters on your own in a map, you should not be getting the rewards from killing an elite boss.

By the way, in regards to the rest of you in this thread, potential is not going anywhere. Regardless of whether you like it or not, or what you feel about it, it is simply not being removed. It would do significantly more damage to the game to have the system that people have sunk literally thousands of dollars into be up and removed from the game than to leave it in.

Would you keep playing if the feature you've spent a good $5000 on over the course of three or four years was suddenly removed with no offer of compensation.
    At least in Reboot...it promotes guild runs of Elite bossing...we have a lot of fun hunting down high level elites together...o-o"
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited November 2016
    It's quite good to the economy the elite bosses, i think it's easyer to discourage hackers and not let them be so free as today would be better than removing more freatures from the game....at this rate what more freatures would be removed from the game because of hackers?Reward shop?

I remember they went so far in Brazil Maple Story they even removed megaphones because of that, which was pretty important back then...
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited November 2016
    I was originally for this back in the previous forums but I realized the more "content removal" or "limitations" the more it hurts legitimate players than it does to a hacker or botter.

Throughout the years many sort of anti-hack gimmicks are only temporary. Does anyone remember the Anti-Bot Monsters? Those things may have been useful but cheaters got around by going to less popular maps or creation of new hacks to avoid Anti-Bot Mobs altogether.

Another great example is the "Boss recorded" system. It originally got so many people banned during Tempest on Hard Magnus due to it's impossibility of being defeated in that state in the game with the 999,999 damage cap. The only class that was able to beat it was Angelic Buster, but that had not been released during the first Hard Magnus clears. Nowadays I don't even know what that system is used for besides the illusion of a good anti-hack measure.

Magnus Anti-Hack itself... I mean the concept is great but the execution is horrible. If someone even lags a slight bit your run is doomed to be bombarded by thousands of paint-balls. But now even that is useless because hackers have made a counter to avoiding those balls completely. Along with the fact people can clear it faster with the raise of the 50 million damage cap, and soon the 10 billion damage cap.

If we really want to target botters it should really be more of attacking the source. Most of the botters are hackers, go after the hacks itself. The Elite System is just an added benefit. If it's removed it'll discourage a slower farm but it won't actually stop them from cheating by botting every other monster or system. They'll just move on to the next best thing.

But, that's just my opinion.
    Lexistar
    edited November 2016
    Aggraphine

Would you keep playing if the feature you've spent a good $5000 on over the course of three or four years was suddenly removed with no offer of compensation. No, you wouldn't. And neither would the people who have spent mass amounts of money on potential. And if you think the game is dead now, just think of how dead it would be if everyone who has spent money on cubes or anything relating to potential up and quit en masse because the system was removed.
    Then it should be fixed so that you can't solo your way through an MMORPG.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2016
    KingStarfire

Aggraphine

Then it should be fixed so that you can't solo your way through an MMORPG.
    How would you do that, then? As we've seen thus far, any sort of restrictions are easily bypassed by using mules or fillers who allow the main person entry and then leave afterward. It's no fault of the game or its designers either, people see solo killing bosses as an achievement, and then that permeates to other areas and suddenly everything has to be done solo forever.

What they need to do is overhaul parties. Readjust exp distribution so that it's not wholly split in half for pretty much every person that joins. Add an actual loot rolling function similar to, y'know, several other MMOs. That's one of the main reasons people will solo things, so that they don't have to worry about sharing drops, or having some rando come in and snipe drops for their own purposes.

Tyrant capes are a very good example of something that needs to be put behind a loot roll before it's given to players. Allow players to see what it is, what class it's for, and to roll for need/want between themselves. Either that, or remove the class-based restrictions, make them visibly different while on the floor or remove the bind-on-pickup.
    Its2Sharp4UIvangold
    edited November 2016
    Loot rolling function?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2016
    KingStarfire

Loot rolling function?
    Let's use World of Warcraft as an example.

When something drops of a certain rarity, you're met with this, and you can either roll or pass on the item:

Rolling picks a random number between 1-100, highest gets whatever is being rolled for as you can see by this:

A common courtesy associated with loot rolling is that of "need before greed". If you don't need it, but someone else in your group does, you pass on it instead of trying to get it for yourself so you can sell it.
    Its2Sharp4U
    edited November 2016
    Aggraphine

KingStarfire

Loot rolling function?

When something drops of a certain rarity, you're met with this, and you can either roll or pass on the item:

Rolling picks a random number between 1-100, highest gets whatever is being rolled for as you can see by this:

A common courtesy associated with loot rolling is that of "need before greed". If you don't need it, but someone else in your group does, you pass on it instead of trying to get it for yourself so you can sell it.
    I like that idea. Also certain drops should be dropped more then once depending on how many members are in a party, like cards for example(why can't I think of a better example.)
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2016
    KingStarfire

Aggraphine

KingStarfire

Loot rolling function?

I like that idea. Also certain drops should be dropped more then once depending on how many members are in a party, like cards for example(why can't I think of a better example.)
    Codex cards or familiars? Codex cards should work like Gollux coins and Yggdrasil Runes. One person picks it up and everyone in the party gets it.
    Its2Sharp4U
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited November 2016
    I don't know why the magnus eqps were diferent colour, would be much better to get the capes when getting the stuff...
    @Aggraphine
    They could change the loot formula and party exp, would certanly be better to incentivate people to party, just not sure about the loot one tought....

What they REALLY could do to the party exp system is stay the same, but increase the amount you receive if members of your party are also killing monsters..., that way this wouldn't turn out to be a party-afkers but actually party-play.
    I image there can be a system that active players would get more exp. Also when you were with 4 party members and the good exp was with 6, was quite frustrating to only get good exp with 6 members, so maybe one system that can also be good with less than 5/6 members.
    edited November 2016
    Ivangold
    Ivangold said:

I don't know why the magnus eqps were diferent colour, would be much better to get the capes when getting the stuff...
    @Aggraphine
    They could change the loot formula and party exp, would certanly be better to incentivate people to party, just not sure about the loot one tought....

What they REALLY could do to the party exp system is stay the same, but increase the amount you receive if members of your party are also killing monsters..., that way this wouldn't turn out to be a party-afkers but actually party-play.
    I image there can be a system that active players would get more exp. Also when you were with 4 party members and the good exp was with 6, was quite frustrating to only get good exp with 6 members, so maybe one system that can also be good with less than 5/6 members.
    you know speaking of, I wonder how well party play could be folded in the guild system, like earning bonus EXP for training with guild members having a bosses be open for guilds