[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Three short questions about Bots

ValryiaValryia
Reactions: 990
edited November 2016 in General Chat
1. Can i, or was anyone ever, be banned for wrongly accusing someone of botting?
2. What should i write down in the small message box when reporting a bot? I normally write down "Map attack".
3. If i know that a GM is online, can i megaphone/whisper them regarding bots?

I'm asking because i was training my aran in the shallow seas and there were 3+ bots on multiple channels, and multiple others (who weren't botting, but tried to "overpower" the bots, which was futile) who, after asking, said some things along the lines of "i don't know how to report" or "but i could get banned too" or "they don't get banned anyway".

Comments

• KingStarfireKingStarfire
    Reactions: 1,785
    edited November 2016
    fighting with the bots I think could also get you banned
  • ValryiaValryia
    edited November 2016
    KingStarfire

That just sounds stupid. I or someone else tries to do a quest - as i mentioned, futile - and get banned despite not being an bot user themselves?

• liljayyyyliljayyyy
    Reactions: 1,310
    edited November 2016
    They're everywhere !!
    Lilyflower
  • Liege_LelouchLiege_Lelouch
    Reactions: 910
    edited November 2016
    Please disable Blaze Wizards already.
    DeeMon
  • ValryiaValryia
    edited November 2016
    Liege_Lelouch

That wouldn't solve anything.

• PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
    Reactions: 3,195
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Liege_Lelouch

It will Hurt Legit Blaze Wizards , Not all Blaze Wizards are Bots, And Every time the "Botters" Pick a different Class to bot on , I don't don't know how or when or why they do this, but i do know that they are just hurting themselves because they don't get to feel the progression and other people can't even make a progression because the bots take away almost all of the maps in the game for legit pleayers.

So my suggestion is that Nexon North America will implement a similar Anti-hack System like in KMS , and start using the Lie Detectors , it works in KMS, my friend in Kms said that they Literally Have 0 Bots, So Come'On Nexon please implement this and let us take back the maps that Belong to US The Legit players :D

#MakeGMSGeartAgain : )

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited November 2016
    PhantomMasterThief

Liege_Lelouch

It will Hurt Legit Blaze Wizards , Not all Blaze Wizards are Bots, And Every time the "Botters" Pick a different Class to bot on , I don't don't know how or when or why they do this, but i do know that they are just hurting themselves because they don't get to feel the progression and other people can't even make a progression because the bots take away almost all of the maps in the game for legit pleayers.

So my suggestion is that Nexon North America will implement a similar Anti-hack System like in KMS , and start using the Lie Detectors , it works in KMS, my friend in Kms said that they Literally Have 0 Bots, So Come'On Nexon please implement this and let us take back the maps that Belong to US The Legit players :D

#MakeGMSGeartAgain : )

The reason KMS has zero bots is not because of the lie detectors. They may help in some way, but the prevailing reason why there are next to no bots or hackers in KMS is because account creation is tied to their RRN(Resident Registration Number; comparable to Social Security numbers in the US), and there is no changing this number.

It effectively amounts to: if you hack and get banned on a Korean service, as a resident of South Korea, then that's it, you're done.
    ValryiaMakazeKibaLeeTbeatsLairSkyTheDestroyer
  • ValryiaValryia
    edited November 2016
    Aggraphine knows what he is talking about. Out cheat prevention is literally not there.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited November 2016
    KingStarfire

Friend of mine got banned for telling a bot to go to hell :T apparently bots know how to report people as well.
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited November 2016
    Petalmagic

KingStarfire

Friend of mine got banned for telling a bot to go to hell :T apparently bots know how to report people as well.
    lots of players got banned no reason this is unfair for players.

• HieroHiero
    Reactions: 655
    edited November 2016
    Someone please start nuke botters and clean up LUNA from botters and mesosellspammers.
    its crazy that from having almost none of them, to have them almost everywhere?
  • MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    Reactions: 1,800
    edited November 2016
    I've brought it up previously, but there's always the idea of using SMS verification, not only as a means of secure access, but also of account limitations. Sadly, I have come to realize that many people would not be able to play because they do not possess a phone to use with SMS. Shame, really.
    HieroLilyflower
  • UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited November 2016
    MakazeKiba

I've brought it up previously, but there's always the idea of using SMS verification, not only as a means of secure access, but also of account limitations. Sadly, I have come to realize that many people would not be able to play because they do not possess a phone to use with SMS. Shame, really.
    Couldn't they just use a guardian's phone? Or a friend's phone? Or a family member's phone? I know sometimes I'd use my boyfriend's phone. There's work arounds if one doesn't have a phone, so SMS would be best in my opinion.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited November 2016
    MakazeKiba

Honestly, maybe after being reported, they can't attack till they answer a question (something relatively easy) within like...20 seconds...if they don't answer or get a random alsdjfapnveawp kinda answer...then ban.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited November 2016
    MakeMapleGreatAgain

Petalmagic

MakazeKiba

Honestly, maybe after being reported, they can't attack till they answer a question (something relatively easy) within like...20 seconds...if they don't answer or get a random alsdjfapnveawp kinda answer...then ban.
    That's actually a really good idea. Like give them a captcha. Make it so the same person can't be reported a certain amount of times a day so people don't captcha harass people. At the same time what if you are AFK and can't type but someone just wants you banned. /: What they need are moderators that are active. It's not too difficult. But hey we all know how Nexon NA treats its players.... they don't.
    Like I have said a lot...I will work for Nexon for cookies or NX :P
  • MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    edited November 2016
    @Uzume
    Well, I wouldn't ever link an account to someone else's phone for SMS, especially for something as capricious as a significant other's phone. Moreover, the idea of the SMS-based verification system is to act as that limiting, unique ID that the KMS has, as @Aggraphine mentioned. My fear here is that even an SMS verification is easy to create. Despite that, it's far more difficult than, say, making a dummy email account and then a Nexon account. However, the biggest reason, in my opinion, is that Nexon is in no position to handle such an integration, especially regarding their ability to recover to DDoS attacks. The reactions from the community in the past have lead me to believe we would resist the change furiously. Moreover, there's the possibility of various groups and entities who control large-scale botting operations could be the instigators of the aforementioned DDoSing. However, I will admit I am rather paranoid...

@Petalmagic
    Those weren't quite what I was getting at. I was getting at the ability to limit the number of accounts by the number of legitimate phone numbers. Perhaps, the idea of linking up to 3 accounts per SMS verified account (maybe even 1:1 instead). Not to mention, the report causing a prompt to come up is likely to be abused by salty players, especially during 2X events. Unless they have actual human GMs sifting through that on a timely, prompt basis, there would be little repercussions for such abuse.

@MakeMapleGreatAgain
    I recommend checking them out on GlassDoor.
    MakeMapleGreatAgain
  • ZephyrusSpringZephyrusSpring
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited November 2016
    Phone locks won't work, take a few days to think about various scenarios of why it wouldn't work.

Just do what EA does and ban by hardware ID. You get banned and boom you need a new computer. Way more effective than signing up a phone number and doesn't require anything on the part of the player.
  • MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    edited November 2016
    ZephyrusSpring

Just do what EA does and ban by hardware ID. You get banned and boom you need a new computer. Way more effective than signing up a phone number and doesn't require anything on the part of the player.
    While I would be inclined to believe that getting hardware ID would be an amazing Unique ID to bind users by, I don't see Nexon having the know-how, nor the inclination, to implement that. The only time I see games that can read the clientside specs and possibly report them back to the serverside are in the case of large, AAA-games. Moreover, the dev team in Korea seems to create with only Korea in mind. Hell would have to freeze over before they would implement such a measure.
  • HeinekenHeroHeinekenHero
    Reactions: 2,060
    edited November 2016
    They have a system for if a GM thinks you are botting where they move you to a white screen and ask you questions to see if you are there.
  • MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    edited November 2016
    HeinekenHero

They have a system for if a GM thinks you are botting where they move you to a white screen and ask you questions to see if you are there.
    Fat lotta good that system does.

That system only works when you have an adequate number of Human GMs on at all hours of the day. Considering how many worlds their are, as well as channels, and even individual maps of interest, that makes for a daunting amount of ground to cover. I believe the only GMs we see now are the ones during GM events... entertainers, not enforcers.