[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

HACKRES

Comments

• MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited November 2016
    Peep
    Peep said:

Yeah I understand. I think a lot of people want that at-home GM thing but they have very little control over what people may decide to do with the power. We saw what happened with the Maple Council. There wasn't even much responsibility there and even then people still broke the NDA.

It's because of stuff like that people can't be trusted. I would like them to bring back lie detectors though with perhaps more restrictions on them so people can't abuse them.
    That's why I'm saying they should treat it like real jobs.
    Have people submit in their resume, have interviews either via Skype or the phone, etc. Have that whole process in place so they can pick people who are actually going to take this seriously and as an actual job even if it's pretty much volunteering. Not simply pick people randomly because being a GM is a serious job and shouldn't be given to anyone willy-nilly.
  • InvulgoInvulgo
    Reactions: 4,620
    edited November 2016
    The hacking problems in MapleStory are circular. They have been for years, the only way to combat this problem would be to stop or significantly reduce the circle. A good way to deal with that is to stop players from being allowed to create tons of accounts, to do that we need some sort of authentication system that doesn't cost too much for the players and Nexon. Allowing players to become Game Masters does nothing to stop this circular problem and would most likely create more problems. It's rude to imply that "we" could do their job better when we have no clue what being a Game Master actually means in terms of chores, paper work, NDA stuff they have to follow and other things we have no clue how works.

It would be cool though if we could be assigned a community Game Master that would reply directly to our feedback and thoughts like Borsham did when he was around, I miss him! I miss the transparency, it was nice. Instead of letting players become Game Masters it would be cool if they for instance patrolled the problem areas we mention more, stuff like that.

Also I think it is a good idea to ban people that are guilty of botting/hacking for longer periods of time, just straight out six months regardless. Do it again, permanent ban with no chance for appeal what so ever. The tolerance should be extremely low, no second chances. That's my personal opinion.

LilyflowerIvangoldThe Blue CorsairPeepGambyThe4thdeadend5193
  • PermolasPermolas
    Reactions: 340
    edited November 2016
    NexonNA should start to handle link bans to hackers/botters like NexonEU did on EMS. While it doesnt completely remove the hacker issue, the amount of hackers will harshly drop by a huge amount.

I still dont get why this system hasnt been implemented yet.
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited November 2016
    Invulgo
    Invulgo said:

The hacking problems in MapleStory are circular. They have been for years, the only way to combat this problem would be to stop or significantly reduce the circle. A good way to deal with that is to stop players from being allowed to create tons of accounts, to do that we need some sort of authentication system that doesn't cost too much for the players and Nexon. Allowing players to become Game Masters does nothing to stop this circular problem and would most likely create more problems. It's rude to imply that "we" could do their job better when we have no clue what being a Game Master actually means in terms of chores, paper work, NDA stuff they have to follow and other things we have no clue how works.

It would be cool though if we could be assigned a community Game Master that would reply directly to our feedback and thoughts like Borsham did when he was around, I miss him! I miss the transparency, it was nice. Instead of letting players become Game Masters it would be cool if they for instance patrolled the problem areas we mention more, stuff like that.

Also I think it is a good idea to ban people that are guilty of botting/hacking for longer periods of time, just straight out six months regardless. Do it again, permanent ban with no chance for appeal what so ever. The tolerance should be extremely low, no second chances. That's my personal opinion.

this is the best comment to hear from a volunteer who actually cares I'd give this +10 very straight forward and always in the right direction.

BIackbean
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    edited November 2016
    Permolas
    Permolas said:

NexonNA should start to handle link bans to hackers/botters like NexonEU did on EMS. While it doesnt completely remove the hacker issue, the amount of hackers will harshly drop by a huge amount.

I still dont get why this system hasnt been implemented yet.
    this has been going on for years I'm glad NexonEU has this system as for NexonNA idk what to say honestly.

BIackbean
  • JulyJuly
    Reactions: 2,720
    edited November 2016
    Jesus.. look at "Permanent Ban Lists" forum.. its empty for months now..
    0 GM... no one ban those bots..

I reported a bot with the in-game reporting system, and 8 days after I still can /find him and he still attack all map.. only that now he like lvl 220+....

You can even see how it influence the free market.. everything cost now x10 more then it was 3 months ago+- (not talking about elite drops, this cheaper ofc)..
    Bots selling mesos for sooo cheap because they have so much of it.. no one ban..

I don't know how to solve it, but they need more GM... that's for sure.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited November 2016
    July
    July said:

Jesus.. look at "Permanent Ban Lists" forum.. its empty for months now..
    0 GM... no one ban those bots..

I reported a bot with the in-game reporting system, and 8 days after I still can /find him and he still attack all map.. only that now he like lvl 220+....

You can even see how it influence the free market.. everything cost now x10 more then it was 3 months ago+- (not talking about elite drops, this cheaper ofc)..
    Bots selling mesos for sooo cheap because they have so much of it.. no one ban..

I don't know how to solve it, but they need more GM... that's for sure.
    -is ready for scrutiny in trying to become a GM-
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    I have to find other places to train / quest in as well because Mu Lung is filled with botters making it impossible to do anything there. I know hacking is apart of Maple but soon this will consume all of Maple World faster then the Black Mages' influence >.<'
  • mon0mon0
    Reactions: 780
    edited November 2016
    Hacker:
    In computing, a hacker is any highly skilled computer expert capable of breaking into computer systems and networks using bugs and exploits. Depending on the field of computing it has slightly different meanings, and in some contexts has controversial moral and ethical connotations. In its original sense, the term refers to a person in any one of the communities and hacker subcultures:[1]

Hacker culture, an idea derived from a community of enthusiast computer programmers and systems designers, in the 1960s around the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's (MIT's) Tech Model Railroad Club (TMRC) and MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.[2] The hobbyist home computing community, focusing on hardware in the late 1970s (e.g. the Homebrew Computer Club)[3] and on software (video games,[4] software cracking, the demoscene) in the 1980s/1990s. Later, this would go on to encompass many new definitions such as art, and Life hacking.
    Hacker (computer security). People involved with circumvention of computer security. This primarily concerns unauthorized remote computer break-ins via communication networks such as the Internet (Black hats), but also includes those who debug or fix security problems (White hats), and the morally ambiguous Grey hats.
    Grey hats are hackers who are neither good nor bad, and often include people who hack 'for fun' or to 'troll'. They may both fix and exploit, though grey hats are usually associated with black hat hackers.

Black hats are hackers with malicious intentions, and steal, exploit, and sell data. They are usually motivated by personal gain.

White hats are hackers employed with the efforts of keeping data safe from other hackers by looking for loopholes and hackable areas. This type of hacker typically gets paid quite well, and receives no jail time due to the consent of the company that hired them.

Script Kiddie:
    It is generally assumed that script kiddies are juveniles who lack the ability to write sophisticated programs or exploits on their own and that their objective is to try to impress their friends or gain credit in computer-enthusiast communities.[3] However, the term does not relate to the actual age of the participant. The term is generally considered to be pejorative.
    Lilyflower
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    edited November 2016
    mon0
    mon0 said:

Hacker:
    In computing, a hacker is any highly skilled computer expert capable of breaking into computer systems and networks using bugs and exploits. Depending on the field of computing it has slightly different meanings, and in some contexts has controversial moral and ethical connotations. In its original sense, the term refers to a person in any one of the communities and hacker subcultures:[1]

Hacker culture, an idea derived from a community of enthusiast computer programmers and systems designers, in the 1960s around the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's (MIT's) Tech Model Railroad Club (TMRC) and MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.[2] The hobbyist home computing community, focusing on hardware in the late 1970s (e.g. the Homebrew Computer Club)[3] and on software (video games,[4] software cracking, the demoscene) in the 1980s/1990s. Later, this would go on to encompass many new definitions such as art, and Life hacking.
    Hacker (computer security). People involved with circumvention of computer security. This primarily concerns unauthorized remote computer break-ins via communication networks such as the Internet (Black hats), but also includes those who debug or fix security problems (White hats), and the morally ambiguous Grey hats.
    Grey hats are hackers who are neither good nor bad, and often include people who hack 'for fun' or to 'troll'. They may both fix and exploit, though grey hats are usually associated with black hat hackers.

Black hats are hackers with malicious intentions, and steal, exploit, and sell data. They are usually motivated by personal gain.

White hats are hackers employed with the efforts of keeping data safe from other hackers by looking for loopholes and hackable areas. This type of hacker typically gets paid quite well, and receives no jail time due to the consent of the company that hired them.

Script Kiddie:
    It is generally assumed that script kiddies are juveniles who lack the ability to write sophisticated programs or exploits on their own and that their objective is to try to impress their friends or gain credit in computer-enthusiast communities.[3] However, the term does not relate to the actual age of the participant. The term is generally considered to be pejorative.
    ^this is the true meaning of hacker it's right in front of everyone.

BIackbean
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited November 2016
    I imagine that a ban of like 3 months to 6, and making people that used bot lose important events(specially summer one), can make them frustrated with the fact they got banned, so this can make em stop to use hacks, sometimes perma ban is the answer tought(specially the flying bots).
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited November 2016
    Invulgo
    Invulgo said:

I strongly agree with this suggestion. It would help a lot.

While it may be rude to suggest the players can do the job better than GMs, when you see the same people day after day botting in high level areas it becomes increasingly obvious that they are not being investigated as the auto response suggests in all their support tickets...
    I honestly don't have an issue with generic bot responses providing they go and do something about it in a timely manner.

They need to stop bothering with the low level bots and start focusing purely on high level botters because once they're 250 there isn't a damn thing that can be done even if there is so much evidence to back up the facts.

• LilyflowerLilyflower
    edited November 2016
    Start banning high lvl hackers and high lvl botters the most important issue.
    BIackbean
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited November 2016
    making players do the job wont do...
    i see that giving "GM" status to more players/hire more people also wont help at all to solve the problem
    by the way in order to ban people you also need evidence of your actions its not "BAM drops the permaban on someone"
    {once i was hit by one perma hammer in my main for no reason, the current CM has evidence of that }
    please guys the community need a non~paid/non~extra issues/glitches within the game solution to stop the invasion
    i wonder if its posible~ time will tell

• TemptationTemptation
    Reactions: 1,575
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016

I would implement zero tolerance policy. No temp bans at all. Ban the hacker and delete the account. All accounts with the same cmd or ip as the hacker should be investigated.
    Makes no sense the bans for 1 week, unless you strip the account and delevel to lv 1 all the characters that are in it.

• OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited November 2016
    I've found more hackers on Luna in the past few weeks than I did the past few years on EMS.
    It really is a shame we didn't get to keep our Game Masters from EMS.
    YonaxBahamut_XMakazeKibaLilyflower
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited November 2016
    Okhura
    Okhura said:

I've found more hackers on Luna in the past few weeks than I did the past few years on EMS.
    It really is a shame we didn't get to keep our Game Masters from EMS.
    Been hearing a lot of good things about the EMS GMS. Wish we had them.
  • AlexisShionAlexisShion
    Reactions: 905
    edited November 2016
    Its just that EMS politics on hackers was "no mercy". Sometimes there where unfairbans because Gamemasters being stupid. But for the most part, hackers would be taken down fast. If someone would be found doing something that EMS ToS found to be ilegit they would get perma banned. Right away. Also alot of people got chainbanned which means that they took down hacker and any account that logged from that IP.

I dont get whats the point of giving someone thats clearly hacking a 1month ban. So you can just hack get crazy mesos and wait a month. Permaban any hacker, then you will see how they start to dissapear.
  • MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    Reactions: 1,800
    edited November 2016
    I wish Nexon would invest in security applications that would request and collect client-side info (such as MAC addresses, video cards, RAM, player screenshots). This would allow them to better troubleshoot issues in-game and give each user (not account, but user) a unique ID to issue penalties to. I imagine that, at first, there would be quite a few script kiddies still botting the ever-loving crap out of their usual haunts, but as they are caught and banned by MAC address, the numbers will drop steadily.

Alternatively, there's the idea I've been so keen on, the implementation of SMS binding/verification, wherein the unique ID users are bound to are their phone numbers. It's not as restrictive as IDing by MAC address, but it's certainly more restrictive than the current email IDing.

I just wish Nexon would consider cutting the botters off at the source, be it the ability to make accounts en masse or using MAC address bans to lend more weight to regular offenders.
    Lilyflower
  • ShusuiShusui
    Reactions: 620
    edited November 2016
    Yakudle
    Yakudle said:

making players do the job wont do...
    i see that giving "GM" status to more players/hire more people also wont help at all to solve the problem
    by the way in order to ban people you also need evidence of your actions its not "BAM drops the permaban on someone"
    {once i was hit by one perma hammer in my main for no reason, the current CM has evidence of that }
    please guys the community need a non~paid/non~extra issues/glitches within the game solution to stop the invasion
    i wonder if its posible~ time will tell
    I think that a BW hiting the whole WG map is enough evidence to ban him permanently, I would definitely accept a ''GM'' job, even if I wouldn't channel surf trying to find hackers, just being able to ban that one hacker that is spamming nodelay on the map you just walked past would be enough.