[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Defame for no reason

foussiremixfoussiremix
Reactions: 2,335
Member, Private Tester
edited December 2016 in General Chat
Did you ever got defamed for doing nothing wrong?
Like i was in korean folk town and on a field there were a kanna and a thief that grinded or something . I just simply went to a platform and wanted to cc and got defamed by these two for no reason. Lel.
Funny thing was that the thief was level 112 and the kanna 75.

Did that happened to you too once.

Comments

• MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited December 2016
    People still do that? haha
    It has happened yeah, but many years ago.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited December 2016
    I mean, if that's what you want to do with your time, fine. I can just go do a few quests and gain 20x what you took from me so go for it.
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited December 2016
    foussiremix

Did you ever got defamed for doing nothing wrong?
    Like i was in korean folk town and on a field there were a kanna and a thief that grinded or something . I just simply went to a platform and wanted to cc and got defamed by these two for no reason. Lel.
    Funny thing was that the thief was level 112 and the kanna 75.

Did that happened to you too once.
    lol yea it hapend to me once but the people was punished for it in the end
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited December 2016
    Happened to me too some low lvl bowman defame me for no reason bunch of idiots.
  • NyvorNyvor
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited December 2016
    Yaaa sure, I was on a low level character using the monthly Robot stores bought via RPs and I was locating my store on FM 1-6, So, when I am putting the item prices, a j%#&k, tells me to leave that spot, cause "I don't have any worthable to sell", so I don't listen and keep doing my stuff. Then, pum! Defamed, he finally leaves the room not before telling me that I'm noob and a kid and all that brainless stuff.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited December 2016
    Nyvor
    Nyvor said:

Yaaa sure, I was on a low level character using the monthly Robot stores bought via RPs and I was locating my store on FM 1-6, So, when I am putting the item prices, a j%#&k, tells me to leave that spot, cause "I don't have any worthable to sell", so I don't listen and keep doing my stuff. Then, pum! Defamed, he finally leaves the room not before telling me that I'm noob and a kid and all that brainless stuff.
    You got there first. He can go to another room and set up shop there. Free Market shop spots are first come first serve. Didn't get a spot? Sucks to suck.
  • ふかせふかせ
    Reactions: 1,475
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    It happened to me every so often a few years ago that I now instinctively leave maps as soon as I see someone enter. And it just so happens that all the random defamers are low level characters that look like throw aways. Every time I try to ask them why they defame, they log off right away.

Once I was afk in the FM entrance on an alt and someone actually went through the trouble of defaming me multiple times. Some people have far too much free time.
  • genji123genji123
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited December 2016
    No one cares about fame.
  • PokkediefPokkedief
    Reactions: 710
    edited December 2016
    Yeah this happened alot back in the old days haha. People would have friends come over or have multiple accounts and/or characters to /find you and defame you. People would rage over it. Well it happened to me a few times but i never cared haha.
  • ChukkiChukki
    Reactions: 1,525
    edited December 2016
    There was one time where my friend was afk in Henesys.

He had like 4 fame before he afk.

When he came back, he had -15 fame.

I tried my best not to laugh when I found out that his ex-wife did it.
    PokkedieffoussiremixLilyflowerKittyIsAUDreamWeaverOberstein
  • RailBirdRailBird
    Reactions: 2,450
    edited December 2016
    Some dude randomly defamed me once. Then he found out what 50 mules can do.
    In all seriousness though, why do we even have this system anymore? It used to be a requirement to have 20 fame to use certain items a long, long time ago. It really doesn't have any use anymore.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    RailBird
    RailBird said:

Some dude randomly defamed me once. Then he found out what 50 mules can do.
    In all seriousness though, why do we even have this system anymore? It used to be a requirement to have 20 fame to use certain items a long, long time ago. It really doesn't have any use anymore.
    That requirement still exists for those equipments. But nobody uses them anymore so it's moot.

We have the system, supposedly, to show how popular you are. But with those "love letter" events that keep coming around, that's moot too. You can have thousands of fame without any user ever faming you. Also, fame gives Charm.
  • BleethBleeth
    Reactions: 300
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    The only times i defame people is when they are being toxic, for example this:
    Random guy: *enters map & starts grinding whilst i'm there*
    Me: Could you please cc?
    Random guy: You mad bro?
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited December 2016
    all the time back in the day.
  • DreamWeaverDreamWeaver
    Reactions: 1,435
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    bumbertyr
    bumbertyr said:

all the time back in the day.
    This.

Specifically, after doing the "Beauty or Beast" quest. As soon as I'd leave Amoria I'd get at least three defames right away. I don't know about now, but back then the prevailing wisdom was to just not do that quest, but I was always optimistic that I'd get a result that wasn't horrible.

And then I married another player (in game) who somehow got the idea we were in a relationship in real life. Honestly, I just wanted the extra quests and stuff, and I thought we were on the same page, but he was only interested in cyberstalking me. Long story short, he maxed out his character slots just to follow me everywhere I went and defame me, and had his friends/guildies defame me, too. Within a couple of days I went from a decent fame count of a hundred-twenty or so to like -50.

I think the problem with the fame system is the ability to down vote. Is there really a point to defaming other than being spiteful?
  • azzacuraazzacura
    Reactions: 765
    edited December 2016
    I defame toxic players or people that start farming a tiny map that I'm farming (if it's a big map I don't mind sharing). I like not feeling totally powerless against annoying players, but the random defames are just... confusing. A while ago I was walking to a different map and got defamed 3 times before reaching the portal 0.o
    Lilyflower
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited December 2016
    azzacura
    azzacura said:

I defame toxic players or people that start farming a tiny map that I'm farming (if it's a big map I don't mind sharing). I like not feeling totally powerless against annoying players, but the random defames are just... confusing. A while ago I was walking to a different map and got defamed 3 times before reaching the portal 0.o
    that's weird maybe u encounter 3 players that start defaming you before u reach to the portal be careful they always show up like *poof*.

• azzacuraazzacura
    Reactions: 765
    edited December 2016
    There were a couple of people there training, didn't expect them to start defaming just for walking past....
  • StéphyStéphy
    Reactions: 1,440
    edited December 2016
    Owell it happends, you always have those people who spend time in keeping them busy defaming you or relogging chars to do.
    Just smile and say thank you to them.

Then buy a loveletter, do a quest and your fames are back.
    mork
  • morkmork
    Reactions: 690
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    always get defamed but i get more fames back from helping people =) and being a nice person