[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Well, Jett's 5th job skill is totally useless

BelloPallyBelloPally
Reactions: 1,905
edited December 2016 in General Chat
Gravity Crush
Level 1: MP Cost: 1000. Draw in up to 8 enemies in range, stunning them, and creates a singularity which periodically deals 500% damage. Singularity Duration: 10 seconds. When the skill duration ends or the skill is used again, the singularity explodes dealing 660% AoE damage over a large range. The damage of the AoE attack can increase based on the damage inflicted by allies while the enemy is within the singularity. Cooldown: 120 seconds.

Stun, 10-sec duration, 120-sec cooldown. Wow, that sounds a lot like those so called 'binding' skills. I must say that this gave me a faint hope that GMS does care about Jett, that Jett will finally get a skill that's actually useful. Of course, that was too much to expect from Nexon.

It turns out that the word 'stun' didn't mean 'binding' type of stun. Yeah, it meant

THIS type of stun. Since most bosses nowadays constantly move around and ignore that type of stun, this is absolutely useless in bossing. Well then, is this any good for grinding? The answer is no. As you can clearly see, the size of the singularity is way too small. The skill description says it draws nearby enemies, but it only draws enemies that are already within the skill effect. And it's difficult to maximize the explosion damage because the it only stays around for 10 puny seconds. Not to mention the singularity's damage is pathetic because it hits like once every second.

I know Jett has been treated like trash since the first day of its release, but this skill is just outrageous. Had the stun been the binding type, I would have praised you and shed tears of joy. This skill is NOT worth 2-freaking-minutes of cooldown.

Comments

• JettLuvsUJettLuvsU
    Reactions: 2,526
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Wouldn't Cosmic Upheaval work well with this skill?
    You could use Cosmic Upheaval to move a group of enemies then quickly activate this skill.
    The skill's cooldown is kinda bad but I read on OrangeMushroom that there were cores for cooldowns reductions. 3_3
    Sorry, if this is a dumb comment.
  • SwordofShieldsSwordofShields
    Reactions: 745
    edited December 2016
    Key words here is "damage can increase based off of the damage done by allies". It's still underwhelming, but it's very possible it's a 5th job skill like Paladin's in that you need someone else in your party with you to get the most out of it.

Honestly, I didn't expect Jett's 5th job to be stellar anyways, the elephant in the room is the buff patch GMS for whatever reason didn't get yet for Jett. That pretty much fixed their damage into relevancy status.
  • BelloPallyBelloPally
    edited December 2016

Wouldn't Cosmic Upheaval work well with this skill?
    You could use Cosmic Upheaval to move a group of enemies then quickly activate this skill.
    The skill's cooldown is kinda bad but I read on OrangeMushroom that there were cores for cooldowns reductions. 3_3
    Sorry, if this is a dumb comment.
    The problem is that this skill is pathetically weak. The skill description says that at level 1 it periodically deals 500% damage. Seems kinda weak for a 5th job skill, but perhaps the number of hits per second can make up... Nope! When I checked through the battle statistics analysis, it (not counting the explosion) landed total of 8 hits. 8 hits * 500% damage over the course of 10 seconds. 3rd jobs skills can deal more damage than that.

The explosion's damage is rather decent, but I can assure you that it's not worth 2-min cooldown.
  • CalwynCalwyn
    Reactions: 1,670
    edited December 2016
    SwordofShields

Honestly, I didn't expect Jett's 5th job to be stellar
    Ba-dum tss.

Jett's 5th looked far bigger in the preview videos.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    lmao without bind or allies, it sounds like a weaker version of AB's lvl 170 hyper skill (600% x3 periodic damage for 12 seconds over a large area). Half the cooldown, too. Unless I'm missing some amazing side effect that it has?

Edit: oh dang, pic on reddit says the detonation damage can be increased to 20k%+ lol.
  • BelloPallyBelloPally
    edited December 2016
    Fennekin
    Fennekin said:

lmao without bind or allies, it sounds like a weaker version of AB's lvl 170 hyper skill (600% x3 periodic damage for 12 seconds over a large area). Half the cooldown, too. Unless I'm missing some amazing side effect that it has?

Edit: oh dang, pic on reddit says the detonation damage can be increased to 20k%+ lol.
    I don't think insane lag could be counted as an 'amazing side effect'... And yes, the explosion damage can be increased depending on the damage dealt by you and your allies, but that is not enough to make up for its problems.

First of all, you don't really need to increase the explosion damage while mobbing. It's already powerful enough to kill regular mobs. Well, then how about against bosses? Because all bosses completely ignore stun (not the bind-type, but the status-type) it's difficult to keep mobile bosses within the singularity's range. Also, since the explosion's damage is "based on the damage inflicted by allies while the enemy is within the singularity" if the boss moves away then it's nearly impossible to increase the damage to its fullest.

In conclusion, this skill is fitting for neither mobbing nor bossing. It MUST be fixed.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2016
    BelloPally

The problem is that this skill is pathetically weak. The skill description says that at level 1 it periodically deals 500% damage. Seems kinda weak for a 5th job skill, but perhaps the number of hits per second can make up... Nope! When I checked through the battle statistics analysis, it (not counting the explosion) landed total of 8 hits. 8 hits * 500% damage over the course of 10 seconds. 3rd jobs skills can deal more damage than that.

The explosion's damage is rather decent, but I can assure you that it's not worth 2-min cooldown.
    Level 1 skills are all weak. You're supposed to level them up to deal their true damage.

For example, F/P DoT Punisher: 415% damage 5 times at level 1. At level 20, 700% damage.

You're also supposed to detonate the skill before it expires to deal more damage, you're forgetting to factor that in.
    JettLuvsU
  • BelloPallyBelloPally
    edited December 2016
    Neospector

BelloPally

Level 1 skills are all weak. You're supposed to level them up to deal their true damage.

For example, F/P DoT Punisher: 415% damage 5 times at level 1. At level 20, 700% damage.

You're also supposed to detonate the skill before it expires to deal more damage, you're forgetting to factor that in.
    Have you even bothered to read the skill description? You don't have to detonate it, since it automatically detonates after 10 seconds.

And as for your comparison with DoT Punisher... Seriously? I must say it is downright dumb to only compare them with their % damage. Oh yeah, maybe Gravity Crush has higher % damage per hit. But DoT Punisher hits more enemies, has more lines of damage, stays longer, and has much shorter cooldown.

The part of this skill that I find most problematic is that it causes status-type stun, not bind-type stun. I could care less about its damage, as I have mentioned it only once in the original thread.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2016
    BelloPally

Have you even bothered to read the skill description? You don't have to detonate it, since it automatically detonates after 10 seconds.

And as for your comparison with DoT Punisher... Seriously? I must say it is downright dumb to only compare them with their % damage. Oh yeah, maybe Gravity Crush has higher % damage per hit. But DoT Punisher hits more enemies, has more lines of damage, stays longer, and has much shorter cooldown.

The part of this skill that I find most problematic is that it causes status-type stun, not bind-type stun. I could care less about its damage, as I have mentioned it only once in the original thread.
    You were just comparing Gravity Crush based on the %damage alone. If you can't compare it to DoT Punisher, then I don't know what to say about your own analysis which, again, doesn't include the explosion nor factor in higher-levels of the skill.
  • BelloPallyBelloPally
    edited December 2016
    Neospector

You were just comparing Gravity Crush based on the %damage alone. If you can't compare it to DoT Punisher, then I don't know what to say about your own analysis which, again, doesn't include the explosion nor factor in higher-levels of the skill.
    Are numbers all you can see? I started talking about % damage only after discussing its stun problem and short duration. And even taking the explosion damage into consideration, the cooldown is still absurdly long.
  • VekiloVekilo
    Reactions: 875
    edited December 2016
    Deal with it. lmao
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited December 2016
    well if it was a Bind the skill description would have said Bind, not stun.

I dont believe there is a single skill in this game that calls a Bind a "Binding type stun", A Bind is a Bind and a Stun is a Stun.

what you have is a skill that's good for mobbing, some classes 5th job skills are only good for mobbing or better for mobbing than bossing, some are just buffs for any time.

Round 2 in the summer will probably give Jetts/Zen a better skill that's made for regular use and possibly bossing. We'll see what Zen gets when we get close to Round 2 of V skill releases.
    NeospectorJettLuvsU
  • BelloPallyBelloPally
    edited December 2016
    Catooolooo

well if it was a Bind the skill description would have said Bind, not stun.

I dont believe there is a single skill in this game that calls a Bind a "Binding type stun", A Bind is a Bind and a Stun is a Stun.

Unfortunately, this game was never kind/smart enough to clearly categorize Bind skills. The reason we call Bind skills 'Bind skills' is not because the game specifies them so, but because the first Bind skill ever is called Binding Darkness. In fact, few bind skills actually use the word bind.

I don't disagree that this skill is decent for mobbing. The explosion hits up to 15 enemies and the its damage (not the singularity damage; that part of the skill is trash even at mobbing) is alright. But even if you only view it as a mobbing skill, that does not change the fact that its cooldown is unnecessarily long. Very few, if any at all, skills that only deal damage and have no other special effects have cooldown of 2-min or longer.
    Catooolooo