[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Players unable to log in on specific characters

NoSkillKidNoSkillKid
Reactions: 1,725
edited June 2017 in Bug Reporting
UPDATE: If you open too many nodes within a short amount of time, and change channel or disconnect, you may find yourself not be able to log back in BUT you will be able to log in a few hours later when the game deletes the data from opening Nodestones that is preventing you from logging in (this massive amount of data is from opening Nodestones, and is being sent when you log in, which is what causes you to be stuck until it gets deleted). This bug can be considered as resolved.

EDIT: As of Override, you can still become stuck for the same reasons below.

-----------------------------------------------
UPDATE: As of January 12, 2017 after the Scheduled Minor Patch stuck players can now log in.
**BUT, unfortunately players who open a large amount of Nodestones may become stuck again.**

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/20183/scheduled-minor-patch-january-12-2017

Bug type:
Stuck characters

Description:
Specific characters are not able to log into the game

Brief bug summary:
After selecting to log in on the affected character and entering the PIC, the game makes the login sound but nothing happens afterwards

More details:
The accounts with the affected specific character can log in to other characters just fine. When attempting to log into the affected character, the login notification shows you as online to other players. Players in game can whisper the affected character but cannot find them using the /find command.

Steps to reproduce:
(based on what the players know so far)
1. Open and disassemble a very large amount of Nodestones (5,000+)
2. Experience a black screen that will not go away (or just disconnect from the game)
3. Close the game and attempt to login to the character that experienced the black screen
4. After entering PIC on that selected character, nothing happens

Expected result:
After the login sound, the game should change resolutions and log you into the game

Observed result:
After the login sound, the game attempts to log you in but nothing happens

What the players know so far:
The GMs are able to replicate the issue when logging into the affected player's character
GMs have attempted to reset/move the player's character to multiple location and the issue still persists
A maintenance alone does not fix this issue

Players affected (AFTER the 21st of June maintenance):
(only players who have publicly shared they are experiencing this issue will be posted here)

IGN / Level / Job / World / Date of incident / Description of incident

https://support-maplestory.nexon.net/hc/en-us/articles/115000158463-I-m-unable-to-access-specific-characters-on-my-account

We can use this as a discussion thread about this bug until it has **actually** been fixed.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    The trigger is "change locations in-game," as you just wrote, or "change channels," as other people have reported before?

• NoSkillKidNoSkillKid
    edited December 2016
    @AKradian
    You're right. This most likely triggers when you change channels (changing servers), and not when changing maps.

For me, I entered Cash Shop and the game resolution did not change and the screen stayed black. After a while, I closed the game and I still can't log in to my character.
  • jasonmbrownjasonmbrown
    Reactions: 635
    edited December 2016
    Has anyone checked what packets the server is sending the client when, you try to login? and comparing them to a non broken character? (I think Wireshark would work for this (no editing just viewing of all raw incoming data over a specific port))

It might give some insight as to what the cause is, Possibly there is no response from the server? But apparently the login noise is played. Anyway it would be interesting to take a quick comparison of the diffences between the login.

PS: Unless you know what your doing, DO NOT POST ANY LOGGED "Packets" as they may contain your pic/password/username
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    I doubt the packets themselves would be useful to look at. Obviously they would be different between characters, since they contain the info about the character.

What I suspect is happening is that the client is stuck in a loop trying to build some internal data-structure based on the info sent by the server.
    A debug-enabled client would show the exact problem easily, so really all we need to do is wait for the devs (who were apparently informed of the issue) to attempt to log in to one of the affected characters.

Meanwhile, however, we can try to speculate, in an attempt to figure out the cause and prevent other people from getting stuck.
    Some questions to those affected:

1. When the black screen is on, do you observe a spike in client CPU usage? Does it seem to be leaking memory? Is it doing a lot of disk or net I/O?
    2. If you just wait on the black screen, does it eventually disconnect you? Or does it stay there "forever"?
    3. Can you remember what the last few things you did before changing channel were? Anything out of the ordinary? Things to consider:
    - Acquiring items (including nodes)
    - Accepting or completing quests
    - Activating buffs or skills (in particular, 5th job skills that were still active when you cc'ed)
  • SmadarSmadar
    Reactions: 800
    edited December 2016
    TY very much for this summarizing post !
    even a GM could not log into my kaiser.

2. If you just wait on the black screen, does it eventually disconnect you? Or does it stay there "forever"? stay forever, could not even close maple, had to restart my computer.
    3. Can you remember what the last few things you did before changing channel were? Anything out of the ordinary? Things to consider:
    I was using cubes on my tyrant belt
  • forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    Reactions: 2,815
    edited December 2016
    @Smadar

Nexon changed your password? I did not know they can do that.

Also, my screen has turned black many times and froze when I try to change channels or enter/leave the cash shop but I have never been stuck. I just use CAD to close my maple and restart it. I'm soooo happy my character never got stuck. I didn't observe any spike in CPU usage like AKRadian suggested, I just figured Nexon's servers simply are a joke and restarted the game.
  • SmadarSmadar
    edited December 2016
    @forumsareannoying Nexon reset the password and the PIC of my account , probably when GM was trying to log into my Kaiser.
  • MewsMews
    edited December 2016
    When a GM logged on to my account only my PIC was reset.
  • adgnadgn
    Reactions: 1,395
    edited December 2016
    Most people believes this is only caused by transition of maps (CC/CS/owl/teleporting) but that's not the case. I have noticed that some people are getting random crashes while not really doing anything and getting this same problem (managing nodes/skills, training/general afking). So far Nexon support have tried resetting account info (obviously won't fix anything) or trying to relocate the character which didn't help either.
    -others can /find the character if they're on different channel (it will show the ch)
    -'Unable to find' if already on same ch
    -can whisper, invite to chat, invite to party
    -can not guild/hyper teleport to stuck chars
    -stuck characters are registered online on buddy list , alliance, guild, party
    I believe this could possibly be fixed by rolling back the character to a state before running into this problem.

• SmadarSmadar
    edited December 2016
    @adgn the GM told me that they cannot roll back accounts... I asked them to do that.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Even if they could roll back a character, how would they know how far back to go, if they don't know what's causing the bug?
    How would they prevent it from happening to other characters, or even to the same character again?

They need to find out what's causing this, and fix it. A rollback is not a fix.
  • adgnadgn
    edited December 2016
    Smadar
    Smadar said:

@adgn the GM told me that they cannot roll back accounts... I asked them to do that.
    That's false. People have been rolled back when thier accounts got hacked. However rolling back is usually last resort.
  • adgnadgn
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Even if they could roll back a character, how would they know how far back to go, if they don't know what's causing the bug?
    How would they prevent it from happening to other characters, or even to the same character again?

They need to find out what's causing this, and fix it. A rollback is not a fix.
    The players can give them the approximate time. This will be a temporary fix to those that have missed all the events , 2x, MT, it's the least they can do while working out a permanent solution. Why do this? Because who knows how many months we would have to wait for them to figure out a fix.

Edit: I forgot to mention this happened last 2 weeks as well. It's not like Nexon will ever fix it lol.. Taken from OneLetter's thread: "These should be resolved in the following weekly maintenance.
    - Got disconnected and are unable to get back into the game on a specific character." This was posted almost 2 weeks ago.
  • SmadarSmadar
    edited December 2016
    WE are missing events, daily progress with 5th job and the new areas, I bought cubes that had short expiration date, had store at FM, at least we could log in until NEXON will investigate what is causing this and find a permanent solution. on January 7th there is a very good event for soul and honor exp...
  • adgnadgn
    edited December 2016
    Smadar
    Smadar said:

WE are missing events, daily progress with 5th job and the new areas, I bought cubes that had short expiration date, had store at FM, at least we could log in until NEXON will investigate what is causing this and find a permanent solution. on January 7th there is a very good event for soul and honor exp...
    Exactly. That's the reason I suggested my solution. I believe this will be the best temporary fix since our incompetent Game Devs will need the extra time.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    adgn
    adgn said:

: "Edit: I forgot to mention this happened last 2 weeks as well. It's not like Nexon will ever fix it lol.. Taken from OneLetter's thread: "These should be resolved in the following weekly maintenance.
    - Got disconnected and are unable to get back into the game on a specific character." This was posted almost 2 weeks ago."
    That post is a copy of this post http://maplestory.nexon.net/community#/showthread.php?1152322-Posting-Guidelines-Stuck-Characters made almost three years ago in the old forums. It has nothing to do with the current issue.
  • SmadarSmadar
    edited December 2016
    so NEXON are aware of it for 2 weeks and could not yet find a solution ? now I am not so optimistic to ever get my main character back...
  • adgnadgn
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

adgn
    adgn said:

: "Edit: I forgot to mention this happened last 2 weeks as well. It's not like Nexon will ever fix it lol.. Taken from OneLetter's thread: "These should be resolved in the following weekly maintenance.
    - Got disconnected and are unable to get back into the game on a specific character." This was posted almost 2 weeks ago."
    That post is a copy of this post http://maplestory.nexon.net/community#/showthread.php?1152322-Posting-Guidelines-Stuck-Characters made almost three years ago in the old forums. It has nothing to do with the current issue.
    Ticket update: My one week old open ticket just got closed and marked as 'solved'
    Still no solution... Stop trying so hard to sugarcoat an incompetent team. We all know they're useless. So what now? They copy paste kms codes, copy paste forum posts, are they expecting to fix this copying their 3 year old solution? Lmao.
  • NoSkillKidNoSkillKid
    edited December 2016
    Please don't tell me I'm going to have to wait another week if there's no maintenance today.
    I've been stuck since the 19th, 10 days so far.

This completely ruined my holiday break.
  • SmadarSmadar
    edited December 2016
    NoSkillKid

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to wait another week if there's no maintenance today.
    I've been stuck since the 19th, 10 days so far.

This completely ruined my holiday break.
    same. they never do maintenance during their holiday break. they gave up on trying to bring us back. the GMs are so not qualified that I got a wrong IGN (that I do not even know) written in my ticket.... there is an amazing, one time event, on January 7th , I wonder if we will miss that too. not to mention all the progress in game with 5th job.