[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

what IS cheating?

BlaxtarBlaxtar
Reactions: 860
edited December 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
the question is being asked as i just ran into a hacker,who was attacking every enemy on the large map (somewhere on ghost ship) and auto collecting every meso even though he had no pet and was stationary(once again,has a huge pile of other things where he stands...)but what is used to do that? and he had an alt account kanna to spam kishin for more spawns,is THAT cheating? like just about everybody else i dont read the TOS. how are hacks put in? is it put in some MS file? if so after a few times getting reported for hacks or kicked for hacking due to lag and you beating a ton of enemys is there something that stops for a hack scan? is there even anti cheat for MS?
JettLuvsUUserRed

Comments

• Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited December 2016
    Full map attacking in one spot or one place kill along with botting/auto-macro and modified drop locations is considered cheating.

----

The Code of Conduct (Updated 19 October 2016) states that:

C. Cheating
    - You will not exploit errors in design or features which are not documented and/or bugs to gain access that would otherwise not be available or to obtain any competitive advantage.

- You will not modify the software made available to you, either as part of a game or an interactive service, to change the service. This includes, without limitation, creating cheats and/or hacks or using third-party software to access files we make available to you.

----

How cheating is done, vaguely explained due the limitations of the Forum Code of Conduct is by modifying the software either before, or during launch of the game.

How reports are handled is that it is sent to a Customer Support Representative, most likely a GM. The player is then investigated for further evidence of said actions and if caught they can face punishment such as a temporary or permanent ban.

----

Hacking detection is done by checking the processes running. I guess it's a less weaker version of an anti-virus because they do not scan your whole computer. This is explained under the End User License Agreement (Updated 22 December 2015):

4. SERVICE

4.5.2 WHEN RUNNING, THE SOFTWWARE MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 4.3ABOVE. IN THE EVENT THAT THE SOFTWARE DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, (a) THE SOFTWARE MAY COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO NEXON, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR (b) NEXON MAY EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER. Additionally, certain Games may include a tool that will allow your computer system to forward information to Nexon in the event that the Game crashes, including system and driver data, and consent to Nexon being able to receive this data.

Most anti-viruses use a dictionary or patterns in order to find infected files. However if the virus is updated and the dictionary/patterns are not it won't be detected.

The same concept can be put into place for Hack-Shields/Anti-Hack Detection and Hacking Software/Third-Party Programs.
    DreamWeaverShakaAlek
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited January 2017
    the person is using a subscription hacking service I'm not allowed to name from a website we are not allowed to talk about
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,950
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    I mean you can report the site to nexon themselves, just can't mention it where people can see (and possibly then use).
    JettLuvsU
  • BlaxtarBlaxtar
    edited January 2017
    so...what about the kanna thing?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    Blaxtar
    Blaxtar said:

: "so...what about the kanna thing?
    "

Having an alt account with a Kanna is not cheating, as long as it's logged in to a separate computer and the person is working it by hand (i.e., pressing the Kishin key when it expires, rather than using something that does that automatically).
  • RegretfuIlyRegretfuIly
    Reactions: 1,235
    edited January 2017
    Reminds me of a time when I mained an Evan and someone said I was a hacker because I was using Dragon Blink.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    edited January 2017
    @ClawStaff they know about the site, even had a lawsuit against them but it fell through due to it being outside of the country.

@Blaxtar they are using an anti-hack software but hackers constantly update their bypass so even if it gets patched, they have another way of getting past it, then the script kiddies pay money for the bypass + hacks. most of the bots you see are meso farming bots that sell meso, they then use a % of that profit to pay the hacking site for the software to continue their business.
  • LougLoug
    Reactions: 660
    edited January 2017
    Catooolooo

@ClawStaff they know about the site, even had a lawsuit against them but it fell through due to it being outside of the country.

@Blaxtar they are using an anti-hack software but hackers constantly update their bypass so even if it gets patched, they have another way of getting past it, then the script kiddies pay money for the bypass + hacks. most of the bots you see are meso farming bots that sell meso, they then use a % of that profit to pay the hacking site for the software to continue their business.
    they should at least give some REAL attention to the areas where the bots are, instead of giving excuses like "GMs are monitoring these areas 24 hours" while we know they're not doing that.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    edited January 2017
    "they should at least give some REAL attention to the areas where the bots are, instead of giving excuses like "GMs are monitoring these areas 24 hours" while we know they're not doing that."

well TBH the bot problem isnt fully their fault, they are more or less, fighting a constant uphill battle with no end in sight. It's like this because there is no way to limit a person from creating an account (like a Social secruity/ real life ID link) all you need is an email, and even though games in Korea are no longer are allowed to ask for a KSSN, they still have that limiter with the Ipin's or Korean cell phone tied to your account; however, having an automated account creation is easy to do when all you need is an email.

I have seen times where after an update they have cleared all the bots and had had them all purged from the game, only for them to show up again a day or two later.
  • BlaxtarBlaxtar
    edited January 2017
    Catooolooo

"they should at least give some REAL attention to the areas where the bots are, instead of giving excuses like "GMs are monitoring these areas 24 hours" while we know they're not doing that."

well TBH the bot problem isnt fully their fault, they are more or less, fighting a constant uphill battle with no end in sight. It's like this because there is no way to limit a person from creating an account (like a Social secruity/ real life ID link) all you need is an email, and even though games in Korea are no longer are allowed to ask for a KSSN, they still have that limiter with the Ipin's or Korean cell phone tied to your account; however, having an automated account creation is easy to do when all you need is an email.

I have seen times where after an update they have cleared all the bots and had had them all purged from the game, only for them to show up again a day or two later.
    now that i think of it. wonder what KMS is like. overwatch had so many cheaters they made it against the law to cheat in video games. idk either. and if my memory is correct they dont have reboot or easy access to it? so there on P2W
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    edited January 2017
    "now that i think of it. wonder what KMS is like. overwatch had so many cheaters they made it against the law to cheat in video games. idk either. and if my memory is correct they dont have reboot or easy access to it? so there on P2W"

It was already against the law to cheat in Games in Korea as it was under thier Cyber crime laws, but they recently added a law that Highlights Cheating in Video games, also it wasn't just cause of Overwatch, it has more to do with the PC gaming culture in Korea overall with the PC Bangs and rampant hacking/ cheating in games, than just a single game.

also IDK who told you they dont have reboot, but they do and it's easy to access, what they dont have are non-KMS maps like BlackGate to meso farm easily, nor do they have Kanna.

In KMS they still have bots, but the amount of bots is like, way less, you dont really find them often or at all, not like how they are in GMS, just boldly botting.