[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Make some players into GMs

Comments

• OlueOlue
    Reactions: 645
    edited February 2017
    If Nexon can get rid of botters much quicker, then the problem of more botters rising would be solved. The reason botters keep rising is because they know they can get away with it easily. Once you condition them that they will immediately get caught, then most of them will be discouraged to continue or start hacking. Once the bans start coming more quickly and efficiently, then the hacking will slow down. Of course this is easier said than done, but at least put effort into banning people, and that starts with better communication with the community to identify the root much quicker.
  • genji123genji123
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited February 2017
    Reminder that Maplestory is not a game that should recruit volunteers from the community. As much as Nexon NA are incompetent, so are the players. If it's another popularity vote just like MLC, you will get a mix of morons, whales, ass-lickers, and some people who really want to make the game better, but mostly the former.

The MLC weren't hand picked thoroughly. Artasi just told people to post what class you think you are an 'expert' on and said he wouldn't pick website owners or streamers. But ended up picking mostly streamers.

Hiring competent GMs won't do anything. Because it's the upper management that is the source of the problem. Just like how the CM just can't do whatever he wants, it has to be approved by the monkeys at the top.
  • WickedSpiritWickedSpirit
    Reactions: 530
    edited February 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    Wrong. Gold farmers use hacks. The people macro botting are actual players some of which have invested thousands of dollars into their characters. These players once banned will not continue macro botting and will most likely not come back. They can easily resolve this issue but have done little to nothing.
    Seems like you don't know what you are talking about. Gold farmers AND macro botters use hacks. Its he same thing and even the same hacks. And since it takes less than 4 days to be level 220 with hacks, even if you ban the macro botters they will make another account and still put money in them. Nexon are not stupid, most of the hackers spend a very high amount of nx cash. Their income is from nx cash so you really thing they are gonna ban the people who feed them even if they are not legit? N-E-V-E-R.

• PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited February 2017
    Wrong. Gold farmers use hacks. The people macro botting are actual players some of which have invested thousands of dollars into their characters. These players once banned will not continue macro botting and will most likely not come back. They can easily resolve this issue but have done little to nothing.
    Seems like you don't know what you are talking about. Gold farmers AND macro botters use hacks. Its he same thing and even the same hacks. And since it takes less than 4 days to be level 220 with hacks, even if you ban the macro botters they will make another account and still put money in them. Nexon are not stupid, most of the hackers spend a very high amount of nx cash. Their income is from nx cash so you really thing they are gonna ban the people who feed them even if they are not legit? N-E-V-E-R.

You're confusing hackers with macro botters. They are two different things. While there are scripts available that some hackers use, I'd say 99% use full map attack hacks with auto change channel functions. There's no macro involved and there never was for years. Hackers have been using monster vac hacks years ago and slowly it became full map attack. Macro botters on the other hand are using their gaming keyboards or mice and creating a macro loop in which performs a set of actions their character repeats for hours on end. Super obvious to anyone who knows what to look for and understands how they work. These guys aren't gold farmers. They are players who have decided to go to the dark side and start cheating. Hackers and gold farmers are in it for the business.

So you are in fact the one who has no clue. They are not the same thing at all. These people using macros are not the same as the gold farmers who are going to continue making new accounts. Once they are banned they are done and will not risk anouther ban unless they are incredibly stupid since they have more to lose. How do I know this? Simply because I've seen it happen well over 100 times. As for the last comment you are again wrong. There have been so many people who have been perma banned and removed off the ranks who have spent thousands. Saying they wont ban based on money spent is just ignorant.

edited February 2017
    You're confusing hackers with macro botters. They are two different things. While there are scripts available that some hackers use, I'd say 99% use full map attack hacks with auto change channel functions. There's no macro involved and there never was for years. Hackers have been using monster vac hacks years ago and slowly it became full map attack. Macro botters on the other hand are using their gaming keyboards or mice and creating a macro loop in which performs a set of actions their character repeats for hours on end. Super obvious to anyone who knows what to look for and understands how they work. These guys aren't gold farmers. They are players who have decided to go to the dark side and start cheating. Hackers and gold farmers are in it for the business.

So you are in fact the one who has no clue. They are not the same thing at all. These people using macros are not the same as the gold farmers who are going to continue making new accounts. Once they are banned they are done and will not risk anouther ban unless they are incredibly stupid since they have more to lose. How do I know this? Simply because I've seen it happen well over 100 times. As for the last comment you are again wrong. There have been so many people who have been perma banned and removed off the ranks who have spent thousands. Saying they wont ban based on money spent is just ignorant.
    You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. There is no "macro botters". They are all "hackers" and its only their "goal" that is different. Those "gold farmers" are hackers that are only botting to collect the mesos and make money by selling them on those online mesos website. What you call "macro botters" are simply hackers that are botting to level up faster and get more mesos and more items faster. They all use hacking software so they are all hackers. Also, they are not creating any macro that loop itself. Its juste HACKS. There is an hacking program that most of hackers use and that you can autoattack, autobuff, autopotion, autoloot...etc.
    These "auto" things are all included on the software. You don't create any looping macro. I know what I'm talking about because.. well... think about it.. ;) ;) ;)
  • PeepPeep
    edited February 2017

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. There is no "macro botters". They are all "hackers" and its only their "goal" that is different. Those "gold farmers" are hackers that are only botting to collect the mesos and make money by selling them on those online mesos website. What you call "macro botters" are simply hackers that are botting to level up faster and get more mesos and more items faster. They all use hacking software so they are all hackers. Also, they are not creating any macro that loop itself. Its juste HACKS. There is an hacking program that most of hackers use and that you can autoattack, autobuff, autopotion, autoloot...etc.
    These "auto" things are all included on the software. You don't create any looping macro. I know what I'm talking about because.. well... think about it.. ;) ;) ;)

There's a reason why you differentiate a hacker and a macro botter. They're not the same thing.

"Macros are sequences of actions (such as keystrokes, mouse clicks, and delays) that can be played back to help with repetitive tasks. They can also be used to replay sequences that are long or difficult to run."

Players use their gaming keyboards or mice like I said to macro in game. They do not "hack" like you have tried to tell everyone here. Hacking and macroing are two different things. Both could be considered botting (if you include the fact that the hacker will most likely be using a script or trainer) but both are not the same thing by definition. Go do some actual research. By spouting the nonsense you currently are you're effectively saying all people who use the macro functions included with their keyboards and mice are hackers. Do you understand how stupid and ridiculous that sounds? They aren't using any "hacking software". They are using an app provided by the company that sells the product. They generally include macro functions and the ability to customize buttons and response times. Hacking involves altering the games memory, data, etc. Hackers also use scripts and trainers to perform automated tasks such as using a potion when they need to these however are far more sophisticated and do not work the same way.

Yes there are some who hack in this game but the people grinding to 250 on their mains do not use hacks. At least 95% of them. Almost every single keyboard these days comes with macro functions. It's pretty hard to avoid having them. Gold farmers are generally the ones using hacks and scripts to perform actions that would never be available through an app provided by the company that sells the keyboard or mouse.

Anyway I'm going to leave it at that because it's putting this thread off the rails. I think you need to do some research to make sure you understand the difference in this game because it's blatantly clear you don't.
    edited February 2017
    I think you just don't understand what I mean. I know there is a difference between "hacking" and simply "using macro keyboard". However, all the ones that you describe as "macro botters" are hackers too because they use hacks too like godmode to not die, for example.

Also, not because you see a player doing repetitive things in loop that means he just use the macro of his keyboard. How do you know? You can't. He probably just using a trainer that he downloaded or cheat engine and with some script he enabled it make him do things in loop. But this is still hacking.
  • PeepPeep
    edited February 2017
    I think you just don't understand what I mean. I know there is a difference between "hacking" and simply "using macro keyboard". However, all the ones that you describe as "macro botters" are hackers too because they use hacks too like godmode to not die, for example.

Also, not because you see a player doing repetitive things in loop that means he just use the macro of his keyboard. How do you know? You can't. He probably just using a trainer that he downloaded or cheat engine and with some script he enabled it make him do things in loop. But this is still hacking.

There's limitations with keyboard/mice macros but scripts have very little. For example, you can use a teleporter with a script. I've seen this a few times when reporting people and it's probably one of the most obvious differences but not the only one. I don't hack personally but I've done my research into these things and have been reporting people for ages. Eventually you just become accustom to the differences and being able to identify macro botters with ease.

I call them macro botters because that's what they are and it's the best way to identify them compared to a hacker who also bots but does something completely different. People who macro bot though don't use any god mode or auto functions and if they do then yes, they are hacking but the hacking part is limited to the fact they are using god mode and auto pot or whatever. Not the fact they are running a script. You could say someone who is using a script is a macro botter but I don't think someone who is using scripts alone identifies as a hacker.
    edited February 2017
    Well, like I already said, in the "hacking community" there is an hacking software you download and this comes with ALL the things you need to bot. Autoattack, autobuff, autopot, autoloot, etc... So... thats why I say that when you see someone who seems to be a "macro botters" like you call them, its in fact just a hacker who use the hacking program. Even those "semi-legit" who decided to turn into the dark side of the game are just using this software, setting it up and they are ready to bot 24/7. No macro keyboard and mice recording with loop things.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    Well, like I already said, in the "hacking community" there is an hacking software you download and this comes with ALL the things you need to bot. Autoattack, autobuff, autopot, autoloot, etc... So... thats why I say that when you see someone who seems to be a "macro botters" like you call them, its in fact just a hacker who use the hacking program. Even those "semi-legit" who decided to turn into the dark side of the game are just using this software, setting it up and they are ready to bot 24/7. No macro keyboard and mice recording with loop things.

Just because hacking software provides these functions doesn't mean that every botter uses said software.
    Some people would rather not pay for it.
    Some others manage to convince themselves that as long as they're not using "third party software" they are still somehow legit.
    Some think they're less likely to be caught if they don't use it.
    For whatever reason, there are those who make do with what their programmable keyboard provides, along with the pet functions already in the game.
    Why can't you accept that?

And ultimately, what difference does it make? Regardless of whether it's a paperweight on the spin4days key or a VIP hacking package, it's equally against the ToS and bannable.
    edited February 2017
    They don't have to absolutely pay for it. There are free trainers out there that do pretty much the same than the VIP paid ones.
    When its free its much more tempting for them than paying for it.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2017
    This discussion is getting severely derailed from its original topic, please keep it on track.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2017
    The long and short of it is that it just isn't a good idea. Because unless you're physically present in an environment they control(e.g. their office in California), you are a risk and a liability. So no, it has nothing to do with pinning the blame squarely on Nexon for "not being able to find thoroughly vetted, trustworthy people" to do the job, it's simply an issue they would rather not open themselves up to, especially not a second time.
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited February 2017
    Player gms dont work, period. Even the most trusted individuals always seem to cause issues once they get even a taste of power. I would like to point out that the mwlb didnt shut down due to info leaks but that program was in fact shut down due to abuse of power, one of them spent hours spamming smegas on scania.
    JettLuvsUgenji123
  • PeepPeep
    edited February 2017
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    The long and short of it is that it just isn't a good idea. Because unless you're physically present in an environment they control(e.g. their office in California), you are a risk and a liability. So no, it has nothing to do with pinning the blame squarely on Nexon for "not being able to find thoroughly vetted, trustworthy people" to do the job, it's simply an issue they would rather not open themselves up to, especially not a second time.

I don't see how accounts that only have teleport and invis functions would be a risk in the hands of players. The job would solely be to pass on reports to GMs. Where's the risk? The risk comes when you give them more power than needed. For example, unlimited smegas, GM player teleport powers and GM banning powers.

We absolutely need something in place to make sure reports actually get looked at. As I have already said in the past. I have reports dating back 3 months that have NOT been resolved despite being marked as resolved. Ever since the GMS and EU migration everything has gone to crap. It's so so bad now you have people hacking on their mains and you know it's horribly bad when people hack on their mains.

JettLuvsU
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited February 2017
    Why not just bring the EMS GM's back?
    Yonax
  • YonaxYonax
    Reactions: 3,016
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    Okhura wrote: »

This our get some new GM's. But one thing is clear no more hackers, botters, advertisers or exploiters!

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2017
    Yonax wrote: »
    But one thing is clear no more hackers, botters, advertisers or exploiters!

A pipedream, in all honesty. For a free-to-play game, it's always going to be a back-and-forth process of patching hacks and the programs being updated to function once again. It will never cease 100% until you put up an actual paywall.
  • StéphyStéphy
    Reactions: 1,440
    edited February 2017

I was thinking the same.
    Those people know what to do and how to do it, as they did for many years in ems.
    I even assume that if nexon would contact them, atleast 50-60% would do it voluntairy.
    Also at above someone stating it's useless to ban hackers as they keep coming.
    Well u have a point but if a hacker keeps getting banned over and over again.. He eventually will give up as he will spend time and it will in the end be for nothing as it's deleted again. It's the same irl people do something but whenever u keep failing u, alot people eventually just give up.
    Still better to loose a few then let them just ruin the game for others.

But yea i think some new gms or atleast some gms who are specificly will focus on hackers are needed. Don't let them do tickets ( as this is alot work ) let them just banhammer around the worlds.

• CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited February 2017
    Stéphy wrote: »

I was thinking the same.
    Those people know what to do and how to do it, as they did for many years in ems.
    I even assume that if nexon would contact them, atleast 50-60% would do it voluntairy.
    Also at above someone stating it's useless to ban hackers as they keep coming.
    Well u have a point but if a hacker keeps getting banned over and over again.. He eventually will give up as he will spend time and it will in the end be for nothing as it's deleted again. It's the same irl people do something but whenever u keep failing u, alot people eventually just give up.
    Still better to loose a few then let them just ruin the game for others.

But yea i think some new gms or atleast some gms who are specificly will focus on hackers are needed. Don't let them do tickets ( as this is alot work ) let them just banhammer around the worlds.

the bots you see will not "give up" as they are not even real players, they are meso farming bots made for selling meso and the average meso seller has loads of meso farming bots per computer (cause they are using hacks) and have an automated login (and likely automated account creation process)

Huge ban waves that have happened in the past only removed them for 3 days max before they started repopulating maps again in GMS, it's so short lived it's almost as if it didnt even happen, part of the problem with that stems from there being no way to limit the amount of accounts a person can create becuase there is no measure to slow the creation process (like a SSN check or ID bind)