[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.232 Blooming Forest Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Upcoming forced usage of Nexon launcher annoyance

Comments

  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,525
    Posts: 2,124
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Yakudle wrote: »
    @Neospector
    doesnt matter if you abuse your powers as mod to censor/remove my posts of this orum if people keep getting this forced things they will leave for sure period

    I haven't removed a thing in this thread, I merged your thread with this one because we do not need duplicates. Your post is still present.

    I could have deleted it and taken additional action; leading crusades against the game or against Nexon, in fact, against the rules. But I have not, so please be polite and constructive and please follow the rules in the future.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,525
    Posts: 2,124
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2017
    I take that back, now I've deleted two posts.

    @Dark20
    Direct insults against people are not allowed. You have been warned about this. Criticism is valid, insults are not.

    Everyone in this thread should be acting as civil as they can. If we can't have a proper discussion about this then I fail to see why it should be open at all. Insults helps absolutely nothing.
    Please follow the rules.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,735
    Posts: 6,220
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    I never use the manual launcher except for when the game first comes up after a maint.

    I always use the Nexon Launcher, and have no real issues with it. It's so much easier switching mains on the same account this way.

    To everyone who is apparently unable to sleep as this has ruined your life: Rip

    You sound like the Nexon support staff: we here have no problem, therefore the problem does not exist.

    Did you read any of the posts above yours? Any of the people complaining that the Nexon launcher doesn't work for them?
    You can jeer "RIP" all you want, but if they can't get the game to work, that's customers lost for Nexon. Somehow I don't think that's what Nexon wants to happen.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,735
    Posts: 6,220
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    I never use the manual launcher except for when the game first comes up after a maint.

    I always use the Nexon Launcher, and have no real issues with it. It's so much easier switching mains on the same account this way.

    To everyone who is apparently unable to sleep as this has ruined your life: Rip

    You sound like the Nexon support staff: we here have no problem, therefore the problem does not exist.

    Did you read any of the posts above yours? Any of the people complaining that the Nexon launcher doesn't work for them?
    You can jeer "RIP" all you want, but if they can't get the game to work, that's customers lost for Nexon. Somehow I don't think that's what Nexon wants to happen.

    The manual launcher runs the exact same game platform,
    if you somehow think it's the login system that is causing issues in the game, you need to open up a debugger and look at what is crashing the .exe

    Secondly, it makes sense that if there is only 1 log in method being maintained that there would be less issues.

    Everyone asks for things to be done about the hackers, and this is something that is going to cause a direct issue with injecting allot of code into the game... but then they do stuff to improve things and people complain anyways. Can't pick and choose, one system to maintain would mean that the hackshield + the launcher could be more fortified against modification. It makes allot of sense that they move to a newer platform to launch the game. (One they most likely spend allot of time updating since it gets new images, and what not quite frequently)

    Also, unless I'm wrong isn't it sometime in March that the launcher will stop working? They might of already move their team to improve the nexon launcher in preparation for this - your complaining without the full scope of the project.

    The Nexon Launcher runs the same game platform - if it runs it at all, of course. First it has to decide that it doesn't need to redownload the whole thing, then it has to sense that you're not already in the game, and then it has to launch it.
    And then, after the game is launched, the Nexon Launcher keeps running in the background, using up computer resources (which not all of us have to spare) and making it so the client is more likely to crash or disconnect when by itself it would only lag spike.

    Also, it's not one system. They're still keeping the Steam launcher. Which is just as glitchy and requires developer attention constantly.

    The hackers will find a workaround soon enough. In fact, if reddit is to be believed, they already have. Will Nexon return the direct launcher to us legits once the hacker infestation is proven to be unchanged by taking it away? Of course not. The legits will keep suffering, especially those with multiple accounts (which are perfectly legitimate by the ToS), who will suffer even if the Nexon Launcher works flawlessly.

    The direct launch didn't take any developer resources at all. It's been unchanged, except for a recent minor cosmetic update, in many years. And it's worked perfectly all these years. Removing something that works fine to "move" developers to fix something that is glitchy makes no sense. I repeat for the third time in this thread: First perfect the Nexon Launcher, then talk about removing the more robust alternative.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,735
    Posts: 6,220
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    The Nexon launcher can easily be simply closed when the game has launched, you don't need to keep it running.
    Very true, I'll agree that it's unfortunate when somebody has to redownload the entire game - but it means it's detected a sign of a corrupt file - and because of how maple is compiled, just how its going to be. The manual would simply crash your game and give you no corrective course of action.

    They might prevent log-in from the game screen, effectively really forcing the use of the Nexon Launcher, or maybe they won't. Its improbible that the hackers have found a solution to a problem that isn't even out for testing.

    I guess the file update in the v.182 that changed code in the direct launcher was given by a god and just appeared in the final package? Let me know who does this, I've got some other work for this mysterious person to do for me also.

    Funny how frequently files get mysteriously corrupted to the point where the entire game needs to be redownloaded through the Nexon Launcher. I've heard of very few cases of the direct launch "simply crash" the game and give no corrective course of action.
    The Nexon Launcher's method of detecting "file corruption" is obviously very very flawed, if so many people are getting this full download bs with every patch or on "importing" their normal or steam installations.

    You are assuming they're going to make a completely new method of communicating between launcher, server, and client. Something that can't be spoofed. We'll see. I repeat the question: if the hacker infestation returns to its current levels, will Nexon let legits use direct launch again?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,735
    Posts: 6,220
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    The Nexon launcher can easily be simply closed when the game has launched, you don't need to keep it running.
    Very true, I'll agree that it's unfortunate when somebody has to redownload the entire game - but it means it's detected a sign of a corrupt file - and because of how maple is compiled, just how its going to be. The manual would simply crash your game and give you no corrective course of action.

    They might prevent log-in from the game screen, effectively really forcing the use of the Nexon Launcher, or maybe they won't. Its improbible that the hackers have found a solution to a problem that isn't even out for testing.

    I guess the file update in the v.182 that changed code in the direct launcher was given by a god and just appeared in the final package? Let me know who does this, I've got some other work for this mysterious person to do for me also.

    Funny how frequently files get mysteriously corrupted to the point where the entire game needs to be redownloaded through the Nexon Launcher. I've heard of very few cases of the direct launch "simply crash" the game and give no corrective course of action.
    The Nexon Launcher's method of detecting "file corruption" is obviously very very flawed, if so many people are getting this full download bs with every patch or on "importing" their normal or steam installations.

    You are assuming they're going to make a completely new method of communicating between launcher, server, and client. Something that can't be spoofed. We'll see. I repeat the question: if the hacker infestation returns to its current levels, will Nexon let legits use direct launch again?

    Not a new method, just stop the use of the ability to log into the game using the screen the manual presents. Obviously there already a different way to log in, the NLauncher uses it already.

    Again, it does need some work - I've never experienced the full redownload myself ( Only partial), but yes - I would agree that work needs to be done to improved this, but it would be interesting to see what cases are from a patching issue vs corrupt file. The manual patch use to causes errors also.

    Again, I can only hope that by moving to 1 system, it would allow even the slightest more time to focus on improving and perfecting the new system

    Again, it's not one system.
    They are keeping the Steam launcher. Which is way more complex and problematic.
    The basic launcher, which is used as backup when all other methods fail, needs to remain available until the Nexon Launcher is 100% reliable and has complete functionality (including being able to say "you have been banned" and including the ability to switch accounts).
    CatoooloooIts2Sharp4ULilyflowerZeldaOfHyruleDor
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,525
    Posts: 2,124
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2017
    DeeMon wrote: »
    Where's the back button on the character select screen?
    I keep accidentally going into Reboot...

    There's no such button regardless of whether you use the GameLauncher or the Nexon Launcher. I would like one too, though.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Posts: 471
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    DeeMon wrote: »
    Where's the back button on the character select screen?
    I keep accidentally going into Reboot...

    Doesn't hitting "Esc" send you one page backwards? Or am I misunderstanding something?

    AlexFLilyflowerDeeMon
  • forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    Reactions: 2,815
    Posts: 337
    Member
    edited February 2017
    Can we just take a moment to reflect and realize that this was posted 2 days ago and has already gotten 17.2k views and reached 8 pages. This is by far one of the most viewed/replied threads since the LAST new forums. And NOT in a good way.
    http://prnt.sc/e99tgb

    Dear Nexon,

    If you force us to use the disliked, broken, dirty, unwanted, and ugly Nexon Launcher then you truly do not care about our opinions, voices, or suggestions. The fact that all these people are angry and against the Nexon launcher should make you reconsider your decision and propose an alternative fix to whatever it is you're trying to fix. blah tired of typing this crap that will get buried and ignore screw ur letteer
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 5,805
    Posts: 881
    Member
    edited February 2017
    Fennekin wrote: »
    DeeMon wrote: »
    Where's the back button on the character select screen?
    I keep accidentally going into Reboot...

    Doesn't hitting "Esc" send you one page backwards? Or am I misunderstanding something?

    That is true, but it's not well known and it would be better to have a button for "user-friendliness" as opposed to "what only current/veteran players know". There should always be functionality to make it easier for the user such as having more access/options or else it'll be easy to get lost. In-game is one thing, but character/server/region selection is another.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,735
    Posts: 6,220
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    Have they said they are keeping teh steam launcher?
    Also, the steam launcher isn't what is being used for injecting.

    How do you know this is going live when the patch that will remove the launcher is made available?

    They haven't said they're removing the Steam launcher.
    They also haven't said anything about injection.
    If that is the true and secret reason for removing direct launch, I ask again: when the hacker population returns to current levels, will we get direct launch back?

    I didn't understand your second question. How do I know what is going live?

    Neospector wrote: »
    DeeMon wrote: »
    Where's the back button on the character select screen?
    I keep accidentally going into Reboot...

    There's no such button regardless of whether you use the GameLauncher or the Nexon Launcher. I would like one too, though.

    That is incorrect. GameLauncher has it:
    07QYkL6.png
    Bottom left.

    It also has the ability to go back to region select (by clicking "EXIT" on the login screen) if you click wrong there.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,525
    Posts: 2,124
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    That is incorrect. GameLauncher has it:
    07QYkL6.png
    Bottom left.

    It also has the ability to go back to region select (by clicking "EXIT" on the login screen) if you click wrong there.

    I'll see if I can bring this up with Nexon as possible inclusion with the launcher. I already brought up ban messages.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,735
    Posts: 6,220
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    In addition to the "Back" button, the GameLauncher also remembers the last server you used (on that account), so you don't actually have to click a server. Just press "enter" on world select.
    That is both more convenient and less prone to misclicks.
  • Dark20Dark20
    Reactions: 1,060
    Posts: 172
    Member
    edited February 2017
    Neospector wrote: »
    I take that back, now I've deleted two posts.

    @Dark20
    Direct insults against people are not allowed. You have been warned about this. Criticism is valid, insults are not.

    Everyone in this thread should be acting as civil as they can. If we can't have a proper discussion about this then I fail to see why it should be open at all. Insults helps absolutely nothing.
    Please follow the rules.

    @Neospector There's a difference between facts and insults. The fact is, nexon is doing a very bad job at fixing issues. But if you insist, I'll be as formal as possible. But they will be criticism.

    Besides, why are you backing nexon when they're not doing a good job? Just curious.
    Lilyflower
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,735
    Posts: 6,220
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    Dark20 wrote: »
    Neospector There's a difference between facts and insults. The fact is, nexon is doing a very bad job at fixing issues. But if you insist, I'll be as formal as possible. But they will be criticism.

    Besides, why are you backing nexon when they're not doing a good job? Just curious.

    1. It's his job. He's a moderator on the official Nexon forums.

    2. He happens to believe that Nexon does, in fact, do the best job possible. If the old forums were still accessible you could go browse there and see he's been posting with that mindset years before he got the mod position.
  • Majeh7Majeh7
    Reactions: 100
    Posts: 5
    Member
    edited February 2017
    Just gonna say if they do this and i cant direct launch anymore i cant play maple anymore. The launcher has never worked for me and believe me i have tried at least 30+ times only counting today. I don't know how or why they made such a flawed launcher and are now forcing us to use it. Doesn't make much sense.
  • genji123genji123
    Reactions: 1,120
    Posts: 140
    Member
    edited February 2017
    Dark20 wrote: »
    @Neospector There's a difference between facts and insults. The fact is, nexon is doing a very bad job at fixing issues. But if you insist, I'll be as formal as possible. But they will be criticism.

    Besides, why are you backing nexon when they're not doing a good job? Just curious.

    Because Neospector is one of the biggest Nexon apologists in these forums and on r/Maplestory. He has a point that mindlessly just bashing Nexon isn't helpful. But it's to the point that he's delusional, because he thinks it's the horrible community's fault, despite Nexon NA having the same problems for not just Maplestory, for over a decade.

    The ex-CM, KTHXBAINAO would probably just say it's the challenge of being a publisher and not a developer, and the politics with Korea Nexon. But truthfully, Nexon NA is just simply incompetent.
  • XemnXemn
    Reactions: 510
    Posts: 7
    Member
    edited February 2017
    Please dear god NO, do NOT do this Nexon, you'd be making a HUGE mistake to take out the gamelauncher option.

    That piece of trash Nexon Launcher doesn't work worth a craaap for me, do that and I have to cut ties with this game.
  • ArwenArwen
    Reactions: 1,330
    Posts: 193
    Member
    edited February 2017
    I like Gamelauncher.exe more than NexonLauncher. The resolution are different too. And to demolish GameLauncher.exe is a big mistake.
  • xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
    Reactions: 2,165
    Posts: 107
    Member
    edited February 2017
    Old UNIX programmers' proverb:

    "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

    If its about using the automatic checksum validation software in Nexon Launcher as opposed to GameLauncher's lack if it, that's still inexcusable. The same code could be applied to GameLauncher in a lighter method without the redownload feature. Just edit it to say something like "Auto checksum failed, please perform a repair install." if the checksums don't match and exit. If it does match, run the game regardless.

    That's so much as it could be:
    if
    checksum="match"
    then
    run_maplestory
    else_if
    checksum="error"
    then
    run_errormsg
    then exit 0
    fi

    No fuss, no mess.
This discussion has been closed.