[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Remove Floating Mobs From Vanishing Journey

BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
Reactions: 3,415
edited March 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Just get them out of here. They kill legit players who aren't even AFK, and disrupt game function. They are doing nothing beneficial to players, and aren't preventing anything except players training in peace out there in VJ because of having to deal with them. They are a step backwards. Please remove this unnecessary nuisance from the game entirely.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    It's not just Vanishing Journey, but the entire Arcane River area.
    And I agree, these mobs should be removed.
    Xenon92Yoda
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited March 2017
    I noticed that the other areas with "flying mobs" such as Scrapyard and Dark World Tree also got the change to inflict Potion Lock.

I honestly think that these types of mobs should be removed. They cause more harm than they do good for the game.
    Yoda
  • MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    Reactions: 1,800
    edited March 2017
    All I know is that I can't bring my af-kanna anymore. While it sucks, it does level the playing field, I guess.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited March 2017
    I hate the pot lock...can't afk for a couple minutes or you risk death. (I died when I went to the bathroom even though I thought I had timed it right)
  • TheHoATheHoA
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited March 2017
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubbles, but those mobs are botter killers. You can probably understand why they're there now.
    Kylehell007
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    TheHoA wrote: »
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubbles, but those mobs are botter killers. You can probably understand why they're there now.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they don't do anything to botters.
    Botters are constantly attacking, so they kill the anti-afk mobs along with everything else.

These mobs were added to KMS to address their issue of map "squatters" - people who AFK in a map to "reserve" it.
    In GMS we don't have that, because we barely acknowledge anyone "owning" a map, even if they're actively training in it.
    Our problems are different - hackers, botters, and so on - and these mobs don't help solve them. They just hurt normal players who are unable to focus 100% attention every second on their game.
    BooberpuppyShippou
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited March 2017
    +1. They are quite annoying while trying to change maps. It is nigh on impossible to not get damaged and pot-locked while just flash-jumping through a room.
  • Xenon92Xenon92
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited March 2017
    i was going to make a post about this a few days ago but then i felt like i'd get bashed for it
    but im glad other people see them as a nuisance instead of being helpful.

I can't even walk away from my computer for a drink without having this stupid ass monster nearly killing me.
    and think about those people who have really bad computers and because of Nexon's horrible servers
    people will end up dead when the lag stops.

This indeed causes more problems then solves them, this wont even kill bot trainers.
    They can probably program to kill the flying mobs even before the mob has a chance to kill them,
    rather, this would just kill afkers who just want to take a little break.

People with hyper rocks have it easy but for people who don't such as myself would have to go back to town
    and places like Chuchu and Vanishing, its a long walk.
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    edited March 2017
    Xenon92 wrote: »
    This indeed causes more problems then solves them, this wont even kill bot trainers.
    They can probably program to kill the flying mobs even before the mob has a chance to kill them,

I've noticed when teleporting to a map with an eboss that had a hacker inside, they auto CC and the floating mob shows up right in my face every time. It would seem that there is a hack countermeasure in place of course, much to the detriment of any one who teleports in to one of the deadlier ebosses and receives a barrage of % based damage assaults while instantly potlocked upon entry. This has landed me in the RIP hospital more than once already, and my main is no pushover.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Xenon92 wrote: »

I've noticed when teleporting to a map with an eboss that had a hacker inside, they auto CC and the floating mob shows up right in my face every time. It would seem that there is a hack countermeasure in place of course, much to the detriment of any one who teleports in to one of the deadlier ebosses and receives a barrage of % based damage assaults while instantly potlocked upon entry. This has landed me in the RIP hospital more than once already, and my main is no pushover.

Not sure it's a hack countermeasure as such. These mobs also spawn in your face when you teleport to a map with no boss or hacker inside. Or when you just walk in to a map.
  • YodaYoda
    Reactions: 1,045
    edited March 2017
    I'm really really angr with those things!! I've died repeatedly because of them...

What has happened to me is that when / if they touch me the do a lot of damage and for some reason I can't heal, so I die!

The problem is not only the mesos that I'm spending on safety charms, but when I reach the daily limit (3) I lose experience of course, so after that I have to just go somewhere else until I can buy safety charms again and so on.

Actually I've tried to be quick and don't let them touch me, but that's not always possible...

It just makes me sad

And what also makes me sad are the disconnections...I forgot to say that I'm a fire/poison arch mage...so...very low HP....that means more deaths if you're not fast enough to push te magic guard button

=(
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Yoda wrote: »
    I'm really really angr with those things!! I've died repeatedly because of them...

What has happened to me is that when / if they touch me the do a lot of damage and for some reason I can't heal, so I die!

The problem is not only the mesos that I'm spending on safety charms, but when I reach the daily limit (3) I lose experience of course, so after that I have to just go somewhere else until I can buy safety charms again and so on.

Actually I've tried to be quick and don't let them touch me, but that's not always possible...

It just makes me sad

Casting Heroes Will or an equivalent skill will remove the potion lock.

Additionally, the mobs are prone to knockback, so you can keep hitting them to get them away from you.
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    edited March 2017
    Neospector wrote: »
    Casting Heroes Will or an equivalent skill will remove the potion lock.

Additionally, the mobs are prone to knockback, so you can keep hitting them to get them away from you.

...if you happen to notice the mob in time. This is is a good tip for some prevention, but does not excuse the overpowering effect of the floating mob against some players under certain conditions. That 4th job skill has a cooldown of 6 minutes. These floaters pop every 5 minutes. When doing Vanishing Journey dailies, some people move from map to map before the CD is done and have another floater waiting for them immediately in the next map. For others, who are slower at killing, floaters will re-pop in the same map before they have such a countermeasure available.

There is no warning for when the floater pops and it is damn quick at tracking down your character. Also, they really blend in with the Repose area maps and can be difficult to spot. If you die to these things, which can happen very quickly, it means you lose safety charms which cost more mesos/NX for us.

Losing EXP after level 200 really hurts, and I do not like walking around without the protection in place with such loss at stake. Mistakes do happen. I'm sure Nexon likes the NX cost aspect of these mobs on non-reboot worlds, but we sure as hell don't. Most of us are legit players being punished unnecessarily while training around these nuisances.

These mobs need to either be removed entirely or adjusted accordingly to be more forgiving of humans being humans.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2017
    ...if you happen to notice the mob in time. This is is a good tip for some prevention, but does not excuse the overpowering effect of the floating mob against some players under certain conditions. That 4th job skill has a cooldown of 6 minutes. These floaters pop every 5 minutes. When doing Vanishing Journey dailies, some people move from map to map before the CD is done and have another floater waiting for them immediately in the next map. For others, who are slower at killing, floaters will re-pop in the same map before they have such a countermeasure available.

There is no warning for when the floater pops and it is damn quick at tracking down your character. Also, they really blend in with the Repose area maps and can be difficult to spot. If you die to these things, which can happen very quickly, it means you lose safety charms which cost more mesos/NX for us.

Losing EXP after level 200 really hurts, and I do not like walking around without the protection in place with such loss at stake. Mistakes do happen. I'm sure Nexon likes the NX cost aspect of these mobs on non-reboot worlds, but we sure as hell don't. Most of us are legit players being punished unnecessarily while training around these nuisances.

These mobs need to either be removed entirely or adjusted accordingly to be more forgiving of humans being humans.

They're not that fast nor that hard to notice. Honestly if you're grinding in Repose you'd probably kill it before it ever touched you.

Again, they're highly prone to knockback and only deal touch damage. In my personal opinion, they're really not difficult at all.
    Keeping in mind that my main is an extremely unfunded mechanic with 500k range. Surely you can do a bit better than me, right?
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    edited March 2017
    @Neospector
    What I see you doing is making forgiving excuses for Nexon allowing these mobs in Global. Not only that, you are now taking jabs at people who might be less skilled than you are and inconsiderate of people that might be new to the area or the game entirely.

They allowed an import that had nothing to do with Global MS. We do not have the same AFK problems that they had perceived in the Korea MS, from where these mobs originated. There are cultural differences at play, and this change does more harm than good to us.

I stand firmly on the opinion that they should be removed or adjusted. The majority I've heard from and responses I've seen suggests that I am far from alone in this opinion.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    @Neospector
    What I see you doing is making forgiving excuses for Nexon allowing these mobs in Global. Not only that, you are now taking jabs at people who might be less skilled than you are and inconsiderate of people that might be new to the area or the game entirely.

They allowed an import that had nothing to do with Global MS. We do not have the same AFK problems that they had perceived in the Korea MS, from where these mobs originated. There are cultural differences at play, and this change does more harm than good to us.

I stand firmly on the opinion that they should be removed or adjusted. The majority I've heard from and responses I've seen suggests that I am far from alone in this opinion.

He's not even making excuses for why these things are there. He's just trying to make them sound "not that bad" and when people say "it killed me" he's basically saying "that can't possibly happen if you're paying attention."

Well, here's the thing: we can't all pay attention all the time.
    I don't know how Neo plays Maplestory, maybe he's a Korean playing in a PC Cafe with absolutely no distractions and nothing to do but 100% Maple, but I play at home. There are other people here who sometimes want my attention, there are things like doorbells and phone that distract me, there is housework I have to multi-task while playing (like laundry or cooking), I have bodily needs, and there are other applications on my computer that sometimes pop up with notices or that I choose to periodically look at (like these forums).
    Yes, I admit it, I'm a bad Mapler and I allow other things to get in the way of my focusing 100% of my being on my Mapling. I get distracted. Over 8 years of playing I have gotten used to getting on a rope when I need to go get a drink or whatever. I have not yet been conditioned to leave the map if I leave the Maple window (or my computer), and my character has died for it.

Eventually I will be conditioned, I suppose. But the question remains: why should I have to? What purpose do these mobs serve, in GMS?

(And btw, I have had them spawn every 2 minutes or less. I think it might be because I left the map and then quickly returned, and had two or more spawn-cycles running at the same time).
    BooberpuppyKokeeIvangoldSlicedTimeTanya
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    edited March 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    He's not even making excuses for why these things are there. He's just trying to make them sound "not that bad" and when people say "it killed me" he's basically saying "that can't possibly happen if you're paying attention."

Well, here's the thing: we can't all pay attention all the time.
    I don't know how Neo plays Maplestory, maybe he's a Korean playing in a PC Cafe with absolutely no distractions and nothing to do but 100% Maple, but I play at home. There are other people here who sometimes want my attention, there are things like doorbells and phone that distract me, there is housework I have to multi-task while playing (like laundry or cooking), I have bodily needs, and there are other applications on my computer that sometimes pop up with notices or that I choose to periodically look at (like these forums).
    Yes, I admit it, I'm a bad Mapler and I allow other things to get in the way of my focusing 100% of my being on my Mapling. I get distracted. Over 8 years of playing I have gotten used to getting on a rope when I need to go get a drink or whatever. I have not yet been conditioned to leave the map if I leave the Maple window (or my computer), and my character has died for it.

Eventually I will be conditioned, I suppose. But the question remains: why should I have to? What purpose do these mobs serve, in GMS?

(And btw, I have had them spawn every 2 minutes or less. I think it might be because I left the map and then quickly returned, and had two or more spawn-cycles running at the same time).

Damn straight, friend. Thanks to you and all others for giving your two cents on this topic.

I am in a similar situation where I have all sorts of real life distractions that come in to play. There are times when I have to literally toss my keyboard aside and attend to something which can not wait another second, where I have no time to make arrangements to AFK safely without being obliterated by one of these floaters, if I happen to take longer than they take to pop up. This was not a problem at all before, as I paid cash money for NX for my pet skills to make it not be a problem. Well, now it is a problem, despite my investment.

I just do not see any benefits for this floating mob system as it currently functions. I only see it as an additional hassle that we now have to deal with, which goes outside of Korea's original intention, and which does not mesh well with Global Maplestory's MMO culture.
  • ShippouShippou
    Reactions: 1,570
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    The only people these things stop that need to be stopped are afk-attackers and people using simple macro-based botting.

Honestly, I don't think stopping them is worth the inconvenience to legit players.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    LittleTLK wrote: »
    The only people these things stop that need to be stopped are afk-attackers and people using simple macro-based botting.

Honestly, I don't think stopping them is worth the inconvenience to legit players.

They don't stop them because the afk-attackers are constantly attacking everything indiscriminately, and therefore also attack the flying mobs.
  • ShippouShippou
    Reactions: 1,570
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    LittleTLK wrote: »

They don't stop them because the afk-attackers are constantly attacking everything indiscriminately, and therefore also attack the flying mobs.

Depends on how strong they are.