[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

5th job, what do you think?

TigerAwokenTigerAwoken
Reactions: 580
edited March 2017 in General Chat
5th job is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. 1st/2nd/3rd/4th job all followed a few set rules:

1. In each job advancement, you had a certain UNIQUE name for your skill set AND your class (example, Spearman/Dragon Knight/Dark Knight). 5th job just keeps you as your 4th job class name and we all get a generic "V MATRIX" skill set book instead of something pertaining to your class.

2. 5th job is LITERALLY an extended hyper. My Dark Knight's 5th job skill is a 10 second cool down skill. My hyper 4th job is a 10 second cool down skill. I now have two 10 second cool down skills, thanks?

3. There should've been an entire list of skills that you get and have to master to level 30 just like every single job and every single class in the game.

in'b4 Nexon defenders (kids) attack me with 'Screw you 5th job is awesome I make so much money on nodestones' or something generic like that.

Sincerely yours.
YakudleDeeMon
  1. Do you like 5th job?19 votes
    1. Yes
       74% (14 votes)
    2. No
       26% (5 votes)

Comments

• TanyaTanya
    Reactions: 1,230
    edited March 2017
    I dunno, I like 5th job well enough XD My 2 skills are pretty cool and I like that you can swap out & pick and choose what skills you want to use or enhance. I like that more slots for your skill "cores" become available as you reach higher levels, but the system is not completely reliant on levels because you can be upgrading your skills whenever you want.

But I do wish that there was an alternate way to collect Nodestones other than just drop rate and the odd event.
  • RawRaw
    Reactions: 515
    edited March 2017
    Man, it would be a lot harder to level the traditional way to get 30 points (6 levels) after 220. Getting 220 is pretty rough as it is, but if you factor in that you won't be improving your skills until you hit that 221, and even then by 3, I think nodestones were the logical choice. That way you can continue to improve throughout a level. I agree that it is basically a boost to your 4th job skills and an extension of hyper skills, but if it were the other way, the emphasis would be further on grinding, which I think isn't the goal if the idea is you WANT people to play.

I don't love the cooldowns on the skills, particularly the decent skills (as it prevents a macro and wastes keys), but I get why they did it that way. I also think that they are adding a few skills later on. I'm not sure the extent of the additions, but it's something. I personally would have maybe preferred a mixture of the method you outlined above with brand new skills, but also the node stones to level them up. I think that would allow people to get their skills maxed without having to get to level 230 or so (for 5 skills, 30 sp per skill). This would allow people to use different skills from the ones they've had since level 100, but also create a sustainable system that people don't mind because they don't have to be an obscene level to improve their skills.

So I think that there has to be a different and probably better way to do it, but I disagree with the idea of using levels like the traditional 1-4th jobs. Lowering the leveling curve is a non starter too I think. 200-250 probably should take forever, at least the skills aren't backlogged with the levels. People would get bored and quit since not everyone adores grinding. Just my opinion, good post though it stirs the pot a bit.
  • RawRaw
    Reactions: 515
    edited March 2017
    To add to why the decent skills have cooldowns, my assumption is to make up for the fact that if you use a neb for the skill (and avoid the cooldown), you miss out on some % stat or whatever you would have thrown on that item neb-wise. There is a tradeoff, strength for patience. Patience being you have to wait to use your skills until they've all but expired, and use multiple keys to house the skills. The tradeoff isn't ideal if your goal is efficiency, but it makes sense why it was done that way.
  • EternityMaxEternityMax
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited March 2017
    I was very much disappointed that my Fire/Poison Archmage didn't switch to Fire/Poison Demigod or whatever upon advancing xD

Another thing is the lack of actual new skills. From what I understand, each job branch got their own unique skill, plus an additional skill for all branches of a certain job ("Job" meaning Warrior, Bowman, Magician, Thief, and Pirate). Then there are very general skills that everyone can use, which are pretty much a nerfed version of already-existing skills (Decent skills, Blink, Bind, Hero's Will, Nova's Grappling Hook thingy, etc). It was nice to hear that the upcoming Beyond update gives each job branch a second unique skill, but still. Advancing to 4th job gives us like 8 or 9 new unique skills, so getting a mere 1 or 2 new ones made me kinda go "meh".

I do however love the whole Nodestone and V-Matrix system. It provides us with a challenging way to obtain and improve our skills; like a step up from Skill Books/Mastery Books for 4th job in the past. That's definitely a plus.

So yeah, can't really say I love or hate 5th job. It's kind of a mix.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    I felt the same way lol. When I heard 5th job, I was thinking it'd be as groundbreaking as 4th job. I mean, I guess we did get a HUGE power boost, but it felt like it was for the wrong reasons lol - it was through buffing our 4th job skills. I was so hoping it'd be like the 3rd and 4th job advancements, where we got a whole new set of skills. New bossing skill, new mobbing skill, etc. We did get one new skill, but all (?) of them are a super-powered-but-cooldown skill, which yeah, makes it just feel like another hyper :/ We are getting another skill soon though, and I heard there's also more on the way. But it seems like they're all gonna be like active hyperskills, too.

I also liked the nodestone system at first. It seemed like a chill way to progress. Finally, a slow-but-steady way of increasing your damage through training rather than cubing. Made me feel a little nostalgic lol. But then nodestone prices crashed, and I realized how quickly you can farm them with 2x events, drop gear, and a 2x coupon x_x. Maxed out my main skills super quickly and now I'm back to only being able to gain damage through cubing...

Despite all that, I do like 5th job. I mean, it's better than nothing. It opened up a lot of boss content to unfunded players. I'm just disappointed about the lack of job-specific skills :(
    Raw wrote: »
    To add to why the decent skills have cooldowns, my assumption is to make up for the fact that if you use a neb for the skill (and avoid the cooldown), you miss out on some % stat or whatever you would have thrown on that item neb-wise. There is a tradeoff, strength for patience. Patience being you have to wait to use your skills until they've all but expired, and use multiple keys to house the skills. The tradeoff isn't ideal if your goal is efficiency, but it makes sense why it was done that way.

I was thinking it was so that we couldn't just use the skill and then swap it out for another node lol. There's also the convenience factor. Decent Skills on equips can be used without cooldown, so if you die at a boss, you can just re-equip and rebuff (or just rebuff if it's already on your main equip). Whereas the node skill, if you die while it's on cooldown, then you're fighting without it for a while. I prefer node skills over equips though. Cuz I cannot, for the life of me, swap my gear when there are monsters around. Like, I already caught my breath, but the darn thing doesn't wanna equip.

• YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited March 2017
    am dissapointed after the "5th" but no one cares about it tho good post
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited March 2017
    I do like the 5job, incentivate people to play again and train as well, now trainning actually reward people compared to before.
    DeeMon wrote: »
    I just don't like how every Vth job skill has all these dumbass cooldowns...
    It's not 5th job, it's just more hyper skills. nexon obviously ran out of ideas, that's why they're bringing back deleted skills and adding these dumbfrigging cooldowns on them. Crappiest company ever.

And the level to advance to Vth job should've been 150.
    Have to agree on that one, specially when your skill is 3 minutes cool down to last 12sec tops, sometimes i don't really feel i'm in 5job...

Something also annyoing is how some jobs get awsome skills and others get lame or not so cool ones, needing to wait months behind in damage and trainning so you get a new skill
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited March 2017

1. In each job advancement, you had a certain UNIQUE name for your skill set AND your class (example, Spearman/Dragon Knight/Dark Knight). 5th job just keeps you as your 4th job class name and we all get a generic "V MATRIX" skill set book instead of something pertaining to your class.

>Shade's 1st - 4th job names are just 'Shade' and their "beginner" job name is 'Shade Basic'

But I can see some flaws in the 5th job node system. If they keep coming up with new class-specific 5th job skills that eventually exceed the damage output from enhanced 1st-4th job skills from enhancement nodes, are they really going to keep them around? Or will they eventually remove them and compensate players who had them with node shards to buy the class specific skills?

I'd also rather have a 5th job skill book system with like a master skill level of 40/50 but have an "exceed" exp system that rewards 1 5th job SP for everytime you gain 2bil EXP ( still the same exp needed to hit 200?) So you could gain 1 5th job SP from level 200-201, 2 from 201-202, 3 from 202-203 etc. And also get a 5 SP bonus for job advancing.
  • TigerAwokenTigerAwoken
    Reactions: 580
    edited April 2017
    Sad, sad times indeed, no wonder the game will die off. 71% with no soul, no passion, doesn't care. Really depressing.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited April 2017
    I think the system is pretty good at the moment, as it allows 5th job to not take 3 years to be released (we all know that if they had to develop all of the skills at once it would have taken a long time before getting a release), it also allows for pretty much infinite expansion with allowing them to add skills seamlessly without having to add another job tier and allowing them to change the rate of node slot unlocks; and customization of different skills (like if you don't have enough node slots for X skill and Y skill at once, and you only use X skill for bossing and Y skill for mobbing you can switch them out at any time), and lastly it's made so it can truly be the final job advancement even if they want to add more skills and not hinder you by limited SP.

I think most people are disappointed because they were hyped for something completely different, for some, they were hyped for a new Job name, for others they just wanted a new skill set that would eclipse their last skill set (which would make their old skills useless) but if you noticed in the past few re-balances and class revamps before V, nexon had made changes where they clearly want you to use past skills in combination with new skills, and the boost nodes in the V matrix system as well as the philosophy behind the V matrix support this direction.

I think the system is pretty good because it has the makings of being a great skill system, as long as they continue to expand on it. I think people will come to like it when they add more skills and boosts.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited April 2017
    5th job is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. 1st/2nd/3rd/4th job all followed a few set rules:

2. 5th job is LITERALLY an extended hyper. My Dark Knight's 5th job skill is a 10 second cool down skill. My hyper 4th job is a 10 second cool down skill. I now have two 10 second cool down skills, thanks?

3. There should've been an entire list of skills that you get and have to master to level 30 just like every single job and every single class in the game.

in'b4 Nexon defenders (kids) attack me with 'Screw you 5th job is awesome I make so much money on nodestones' or something generic like that.

Sincerely yours.

I honestly think that the V Matrix was introduced to keep players interested, but for GMS it has been a failure due to constant plaguing bugs that have caused much inconvenience.

5th Job honestly did feel more like a version II of the Hyper System. But I don't think we should have mastery books. The node system is in place to prevent players from quickly maxing it out in order to prepare new content in the future.

I was originally betting on adjustments for a higher rate of nodestones which they have done in KMS but at the price of nerfing drop rate % which is pretty unfavorable.
    Sad, sad times indeed, no wonder the game will die off. 71% with no soul, no passion, doesn't care. Really depressing.

Most of this game replies on the most flip-flop of RNG. Scrolls, Potential, just too many "luck" factors. I've been in scenarios where I've had the best successes and other times where failure was the only result after hours, days, weeks, and even months of grinding. There's no safety net and if failure is the end result, it's back to square one.

After opening, scrolling, and cubing I can only say that this game paywall is quite the literal barrier towards end-game. Most people quit due to the sheer fact that without being well equipped, there's no way in hell an average or casual player will be touching 5th Job Nodestones for Non-Reboot. Dropping $100 on a Miracle Time made me felt like the most absolute trash from the results. I can only imagine the nightmares of Marvel, Gachapon, Philosopher and other RNG nightmares. Farming my own Clean Slates takes a toll on me when I fail it 32 times in a row.

The progression ladder in this game is massively broken, Reboot or Non-Reboot:
    - In Non-Reboot you're faced to deal with the markets if you're planning to get Nebulites and Bonus Potential or items that simply can't obtained easily. For items that's obtainable it's done through weeks of grinding over and over, while some others turn to the tables of RMT (which is against the Terms of Service that people have agreed upon registering a Nexon Account).
    - In Reboot it's either grind at the most profitable map or boss daily. They have some issues of Nebulites being almost in-accessible. One of my thoughts which is probably controversial is that out of all the areas in the game, Blackgate and MP3 is the most profitable area to farm in. That's kind of ridiculous if you ask me and that should call for a buff in higher level areas.

The biggest problem of all time are hackers and constant "nerfs" to "protect the community". More damage has been done to "patch" certain things instead of fixing the real issues with the game.

The fact that the recent Drop Rate % nerf hit KMS shows that we have little to no hope for "a Better Maple" for the coming months for GMS. Accessibility was one of the main concerns for many things such as Nebulites, Bonus Potential. Hitting nodestones will only continue to cut the lifeline of the Global region.

As I've said in my earlier posts if Global wants to continue to strive for the next few years, it needs to be catered accordingly. I would say it's time to do away with the RNG or have a safety net so it doesn't become a constant row of failures after days of grind which has happened to events such as Master Ring SS, Dark Lords of Darkness or items such as scrolls, item destruction, etc. Maybe then will I be passionate to grind knowing that there's a limit to my failures and not assume that it's an endless road of effort and no gain.

This is just one or the several reasons why my friends have quit or simply do not play MapleStory.
  • SwordofShieldsSwordofShields
    Reactions: 745
    edited April 2017
    It's alright. Would be better if you were guaranteed nodes for your class when opening nodestones. The real problem with 5th job is felt the most in Reboot, the sheer range you need to kill mobs at a decent rate to even have a chance of getting one nodestone is ridiculous. Arcane River mob HP nerf can't happen quickly enough, not all of us want to have a kanna bot on a second client/bot in general to get enough range to kill these mobs.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited April 2017
    It's alright. Would be better if you were guaranteed nodes for your class when opening nodestones. The real problem with 5th job is felt the most in Reboot, the sheer range you need to kill mobs at a decent rate to even have a chance of getting one nodestone is ridiculous. Arcane River mob HP nerf can't happen quickly enough, not all of us want to have a kanna bot on a second client/bot in general to get enough range to kill these mobs.

Not entirely true for "just Reboot" then. I know plenty of players in Scania who also suffer similar issues with Arcane River's mob HP. I have a new DB that I made for the V Diary and it was a nightmare trying out Vanishing Journey. A Kanna is already difficult to set-up due to flying anti-potion status mobs. Introducing the drop rate % nerf from KMS while "boosting the base rate" was an utter failure that even people with Spider Familiars or even a line of drop rate would be even less beneficial than the current state in GMS.

While I agree that many things need to be more accessible and easier to obtain that seems reasonable to the players, it seems that GMS and KMS are doing quite the opposite.