[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

It's so irritating....

ArchanIomharArchanIomhar
Reactions: 1,025
edited March 2017 in Rants and Raves
...that every time someone engages in a conversation with me, it's always some weird or bizarre flirting...

I don't get it. Yeah, you can think my character is cute or hot(???), whatever, but like. It's always struck me as super weird. Super super weird. That y'all try to flirt with players based purely on a collection of big headed, bean bodied pixels that create the illusion of beauty.

I've been playing for about a month and have had an average of 2 of these interactions per week. Every conversation starter seems to be a poorly planned pickup line followed by a strange declaration of 'imma make you my gf!!' like what. that's super uncomfortable, and whats worse, when I try to run away from such interactions, like double jumping across entire maps, sometimes I'm followed.

someone enlighten my, why do y'all act like this. why do you feel the need to make supposedly female players uncomfortable by harassing them and trying to 'make them your gf'. why do you make them feel unwelcome when they turn you down. why.
JettLuvsUDoughTanya

Comments

• LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited March 2017
    Idk what the heck is going on but this is discusting.
    JettLuvsU
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited March 2017
    It happens in a lot of other games. Playing female characters can result unwanted attention and is generally unavoidable.

If you're being stalked or you don't want to be stalked, open up your buddy list and on the top there should be a box "online" and click on the drop down and click on "offline".
    JettLuvsU
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    lol I'm a guy that plays AB (which is gender-locked to female) and I get hit on every once in a while. I also feel like people treat me differently thinking I'm a girl o_o I usually just awkwardly let them know that I'm a guy, and we laugh it off.

My sister also experiences this a lot on other games (not MapleStory - she mainly plays CS:GO nowadays). People flirting with her cuz she's a girl that plays games lol. As soon as she says something on her mic, people are all like "OMG GRILL".

I think (in MapleStory, at least) that they're just messing around. I'm not excusing what they're doing, but I'd try not to take anything they say seriously/personally lol. Most of them are probably just joking and would probably stop if you tell them to. If they do follow you around after you tell them to stop, you could report them for harassment I think? Or do what Sharp said.
    JettLuvsUNyara
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited March 2017
    Honestly...as an actual girl...its surprising how many people don't believe me =3=. Like...I don't get all dat attention like you guys are saying.
    Bellamazed
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited March 2017
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    Honestly...as an actual girl...its surprising how many people don't believe me =3=. Like...I don't get all dat attention like you guys are saying.

There are no girls on the internet.
    bumbertyr
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited March 2017
    Aggraphine wrote: »

-insert stupid Feminist garble that I don't really listen to- TLDR: Women do exist on the Internet :P
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2017
    Aggraphine wrote: »

-insert stupid Feminist garble that I don't really listen to- TLDR: Women do exist on the Internet :P

Rule 16, boi
    JettLuvsU
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited March 2017
    reminded me of this

this is an old issue that permeates every game with voice chat or character customization with genders
    JettLuvsURoseDrop
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Boys are boys are stupid.
    Especially in games like Maplestory, where anyone can create characters of either gender, I find it amusing that they try to hit on any "female" character.

If it's any consolation, like in real life, these boys are intimidated by capable girls. So, in my experience, the higher level you are, the less of these advances you get. Also, characters wearing "The Next Legend" medal (which means you have a level 200 character), get hit on less.

Until you get to those levels, just practice the polite but firm, "Thank you, but I'm not interested".
    Or gold-dig (agree to be his "gf" so he will give you gifts).
  • TribalStarTribalStar
    Reactions: 1,015
    edited March 2017
    Always ask to skype, best way to tell
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2017
    Or stop being thirsty little shits on a video game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    JettLuvsUCatooolooo
  • RoseDropRoseDrop
    Reactions: 875
    edited March 2017
    Just tell them that you're a 35 year old guy. That always seems to work.
    JettLuvsU
  • DaisukeHarutoDaisukeHaruto
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited March 2017
    RoseDrop wrote: »
    Just tell them that you're a 35 year old guy. That always seems to work.
    Not always.. But close enough. I was being flirted with while on my f-dualblade. Told him "hoi hoi a guy" and got "hoi yourself... Bi lady on this end, Sugah"
    Well there goes the excuse.
    JettLuvsUBellamazed
  • BellamazedBellamazed
    Reactions: 1,235
    edited April 2017
    I've always played female characters and can probably count on one hand the amount of times this has happened over the past.. what.. 10 years?
    I dunno, I'm pretty anti-social so that's probably a factor.
    DaisukeHaruto
  • RenniRenni
    Reactions: 3,085
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, I get you. For a while, I played on male characters on some games 'cause I didn't want to get hit on, or I didn't want people to be condescending with me. I've had ppl accuse me of being a G.I.R.L. tho. Maybe since I'm an AB? Either way, it's pretty awkward at times.
  • TanyaTanya
    Reactions: 1,230
    edited April 2017
    I just tell them I am a guy IRL. It goes from creepy flirting to shocked anger real fast.
  • TwizzzlersTwizzzlers
    Reactions: 2,235
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    I'm a boy and I see a lot of that happening in Scania. I personaly don't do it because I have a different sexual orientation but yet I don't do or show that in game. I have more respect to do that. But I see lots of people with like 999,999k nx that their online boyfriend gives them. lol
  • TwizzzlersTwizzzlers
    Reactions: 2,235
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    I'm a boy and I see a lot of that happening in Scania. I personaly don't do it because I have a different sexual orientation but yet I don't do or show that in game. I have more respect to do that. But I see lots of people with like 999,999k nx that their online boyfriend gives them. lol
  • RegretfuIlyRegretfuIly
    Reactions: 1,235
    edited April 2017
    It's funnier to play a well cross-dressed male character, and still get hit on by creepy guys.
    Bellamazed
  • DennDenn
    Reactions: 620
    edited April 2017
    They're just not 100... it's pretty sad..