[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Add the Coke town event

WizardBeauWizardBeau
Reactions: 1,811
Member, Private Tester
edited May 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
hqdefault.jpg

Coke town was an event in Kms and Jms some years ago, having a Coca-Cola themed area, enemies, and items.MapleStoryCoke_Snail.gif
Many of the items are already translated in Gms and can be seen by searching in the Owl of Minerva. Gms has managed to get the licensing for that ReZero event and some others that Jms had first, they could try to get this one.

They could get the licensing and add it the way it originally was, or possibly just un-brand it and make it Cola town or something

It also had some nice music.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=AfsNt5oZrqw

MapleStoryCoketump.gif
  1. What do you guys think?14 votes
    1. They should add it the way it was.
       57% (8 votes)
    2. They should add it but get rid of the Coca-Cola branding on everything.
       29% (4 votes)
    3. They shouldn't have the event.
       14% (2 votes)

Comments

• PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited May 2017
    If they were to add it, they'd need to update it for current year.
    Or better yet, Nexon should make mutant coke-themed monsters, like this:
    Slime_zpstdyixydy.png
    WizardBeauJettLuvsUBahamut_XRikNLMageOfBattles
  • LagTooMuchLagTooMuch
    Reactions: 1,985
    edited May 2017
    id see again but not gonna happen due to all kinds of copyright action.
    scholar624PirateIzzy
  • scholar624scholar624
    Reactions: 3,315
    edited May 2017
    LagTooMuch wrote: »
    +1,

Copyright laws are far less restrictive overseas than they are here in the US. Just the sheer amount of expensive, time-consuming legal hoops to jump through is why crossover events do not come as frequently or are non-GMS exclusive. For example, a few years ago KMS featured a cash shop event containing items, chairs, and NX from Disney's Frozen.
  • WizardBeauWizardBeau
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017

They managed to get the license to that ReZero event and a few others, they could attempt to get the licensing for this.

Or they could possible just remove the Coke logos from everything or something.

WgB4bFO.png

se0qmRL.png

• WizardBeauWizardBeau
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    scholar624 wrote: »
    +1,

Copyright laws are far less restrictive overseas than they are here in the US. Just the sheer amount of expensive, time-consuming legal hoops to jump through is why crossover events do not come as frequently or are non-GMS exclusive. For example, a few years ago KMS featured a cash shop event containing items, chairs, and NX from Disney's Frozen.

This was an official partnership actually. Frozen did reallllly well in Korea.

In reality, these brands license there IP's out because it brings them basically free ad revenue. It is something that might happen, but allot of the assets would need to be redrawn to fit the new size of the client and etc.

I imagine they could probably use the same assets. Look at Sleepywood, its had the same art since MapleStory began and doesn't appear to have any problems fitting the client.
  • SealSeal
    Reactions: 1,310
    edited May 2017
    Sorry I'm unfamiliar with Coke Town, but are you suggesting that we just add the town to the game or have the event associated with it?

I don't support this idea because it makes no sense to add a town that wouldn't serve any purpose where the end result would turn it into a ghost town after a few days or weeks being added.

Edit: Just reread, and you're suggesting that we add the event. Is there a link, or more details on how the event worked and show the exclusive items that could only be obtained through the event?
  • WizardBeauWizardBeau
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Seal wrote: »
    Sorry I'm unfamiliar with Coke Town, but are you suggesting that we just add the town to the game or have the event associated with it?

I don't support this idea because it makes no sense to add a town that wouldn't serve any purpose where the end result would turn it into a ghost town after a few days or weeks being added.

Basically it was an event exclusive town, it closes after the event.
    In the other versions it had quests that rewarded some items like a bottle cap shield and some earrings or something i think.

kHzWyMR.png
    (not sure if all of these things were available but this is what shows up in bannedstory if you search coke)

https://mapletip.com/maplestory-quest/%EB%A7%9B%EC%9E%88%EB%8A%94%20%EC%BD%94%EC%B9%B4-%EC%BD%9C%EB%9D%BC/9422

You can also find some youtube videos of the place, but many don't show very much of it and are very low resolution.

If it were added as a normal town though (which i doubt would happen due to the whole licensing thing) it could break up the monotony in some of the lower levels as it had monsters from lvl 10 - 70.
  • WizardBeauWizardBeau
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Found a video of a guy that still has his one of his characters there in Kms, it shows some of the town itself in high quality but all the quests and portals are likely disabled. There are videos that show more of it but they can't be shown here.

From what i have read and seen it was more like an "area" than just a town due to it having multiple fields with monsters.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=H2ZJnI04bvE
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited May 2017
    More tour videos from ancient times:

It's also where the Ice Golem (the special monster in Collection) comes from.
    WizardBeau
  • WizardBeauWizardBeau
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    PirateIzzy wrote: »
    More tour videos from ancient times:

It's also where the Ice Golem (the special monster in Collection) comes from.

Did you manage to find any videos with the quests in them?
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited May 2017
    WizardBeau wrote: »

Did you manage to find any videos with the quests in them?

I didn't, but there are probably quests in the WZ files.