[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Clean look

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited May 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
As we all know, a large part of MapleStory is the customization of our characters. Some players spend a lot of money, or time, or both, in an attempt to make their characters look exactly as they want them to be.

Some people like a flashy look, and some like a minimal one. And some like to look flashy while they're strutting around town, but have as few visual distractions as possible when fighting bosses. Especially in the case of endgame bosses tackled by parties, people want no visual elements on the screen that don't absolutely have to be there, while still using all their gear.

A year and a half ago, in v.166, the "Equipment Effect System" was introduced, allowing us to hide the effects of certain equipment, especially certain huge totems, when desired.

This was very helpful, but there is still much more to be done for those seeking an uncluttered look, for either aesthetic or practical (boss fight) reasons:

1. Make the "effect" button apply to summon effects (in particular Sylph Ring, Angelic Blessing rings, and Lightning God rings)
Edit: and to Cash weapon cover effects.

2. Allow hiding androids, either through the "effect" button or through some other means (such as a "transparent android" cash item - after all, all other visible equipment items can be hidden with transparent covers).

3. Allow hiding familiars.

4. Allow hiding pets.

5. Allow hiding class-specific elements such as Kanna's Haku, Cannoneer's Monkey, Evan's Mir, Luminous' Orb.

6. Allow hiding own/others' damage numbers. The feature that allowed that, "remote effect", was removed and replaced with skill transparency. While skill transparency is useful as far as it goes, it does not affect damage numbers, which fill up the screen and make it really hard to tell what's going on.

JettLuvsUBluejeansAlexFFennekinXelthineIvangoldKlaraTheSammy58DuzzPeepand 10 others.

Comments

• BluejeansBluejeans
    Reactions: 2,130
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Good thread. Also, please make us be able to hide _all_ NX weapon cover effects. Most of the new NX weapons have this awful and tacky effect around them while jumping/attacking and sometimes even when idle.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Bluejeans wrote: »
    Good thread. Also, please make us be able to hide _all_ NX weapon cover effects. Most of the new NX weapons have this awful and tacky effect around them while jumping/attacking and sometimes even when idle.

And you can't turn the effect off with the "EFFECT" button? I'd be inclined to report that as a bug, tbh. Of course EFFECT should work on them.
  • BluejeansBluejeans
    Reactions: 2,130
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

And you can't turn the effect off with the "EFFECT" button? I'd be inclined to report that as a bug, tbh. Of course EFFECT should work on them.

I'm quite sure you can't, it always irritated me. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

• AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    AlexF wrote: »

No you can't, any of the weapons that have an effect when you attack can't be disabled. I think this is just how the covers work.

I see.
    That's pretty inconsistent. Other cash items can have "extra" effects disabled. I'll add this to the opening post.
    AlexF
  • XelthineXelthine
    Reactions: 1,525
    edited May 2017
    I definitely want something like that, I am one of those persons that wants as little flashy stuff as possible, so if I had the option to hide my pets & android while still benefiting from them such as auto looting & such, I'd be really happy. Half of the time, I can't even see my character because of all my pets and my android.

As I'm maining an Evan I also have a big dragon flying after me, and I think that should be eunogh.

Alternatively they could put the following pets & android behind the player instead of in front, that would remove some of my concerns.
    Catharein
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited May 2017
    The effect off is what would really help in partys, it's annyoing that you lag now more than before, the trannsparency is good, but why remove the old option to remove effects?
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited May 2017
    I recall when first watching Lucid runs it was very difficult to keep tabs on the golems due to the large number of familiars and pets on the map. We can forward this as feedback to our team.
    AlexFJettLuvsU
  • BruiseBruise
    Reactions: 1,375
    edited May 2017
    Having all of these random elements on one's screen can make it harder too see, but I wonder if we can make that into a game. "Find the boss through all these effects" game. It may improve cognitive recognition or something.
    DarkPassenger
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited May 2017
    Bruise wrote: »
    Having all of these random elements on one's screen can make it harder too see, but I wonder if we can make that into a game. "Find the boss through all these effects" game. It may improve cognitive recognition or something.

good perspective, makes you pay attention to detail.
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited May 2017
    Hiding titles would be nice too but that's more of a personal preference.
  • Xenon92Xenon92
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited May 2017
    I remember when this thing first came out, i expected that we could hide our LGR effect

sadly super disappointed that we couldn't :/
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    These are all great suggestions, I would like to see #6 acted upon the most because it seems to reduce a significant amount of lag while training with others.

KMS also recently introduced this, which I am truly hoping GMS gets this:
    transparent-uis-in-combat.png?w=600
    Transparent windows while in combat
  • LagTooMuchLagTooMuch
    Reactions: 1,985
    edited May 2017
    Dude you should suggest anything related to game system to KMS. Don't think GMS has that much power modifying certain things.
    When they forward this to team they mean "oh man heres another guy complaing about something we cant do. I'll just leave a comment,
    saying we will forward to our team."
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    LagTooMuch wrote: »
    Dude you should suggest anything related to game system to KMS. Don't think GMS has that much power modifying certain things.
    When they forward this to team they mean "oh man heres another guy complaing about something we cant do. I'll just leave a comment,

Dude, none of us can suggest anything directly to KMS.
    We suggest things to Nexon America, and they forward our suggestions to Nexon Korea.
    All the suggestions that were implemented so far were implemented by the programmers in Korea.
    I don't think we need to preface every suggestion with "please ask KMS to" do whatever we're requesting.
  • LagTooMuchLagTooMuch
    Reactions: 1,985
    edited May 2017
    LagTooMuch wrote: »

Dude, none of us can suggest anything directly to KMS.
    We suggest things to Nexon America, and they forward our suggestions to Nexon Korea.
    All the suggestions that were implemented so far were implemented by the programmers in Korea.
    I don't think we need to preface every suggestion with "please ask KMS to" do whatever we're requesting.

hope so.
  • BunnySakiBunnySaki
    Reactions: 1,185
    edited May 2017
    As we all know, a large part of MapleStory is the customization of our characters. Some players spend a lot of money, or time, or both, in an attempt to make their characters look exactly as they want them to be.

Some people like a flashy look, and some like a minimal one. And some like to look flashy while they're strutting around town, but have as few visual distractions as possible when fighting bosses. Especially in the case of endgame bosses tackled by parties, people want no visual elements on the screen that don't absolutely have to be there, while still using all their gear.

A year and a half ago, in v.166, the "Equipment Effect System" was introduced, allowing us to hide the effects of certain equipment, especially certain huge totems, when desired.

This was very helpful, but there is still much more to be done for those seeking an uncluttered look, for either aesthetic or practical (boss fight) reasons:

1. Make the "effect" button apply to summon effects (in particular Sylph Ring, Angelic Blessing rings, and Lightning God rings)
    Edit: and to Cash weapon cover effects.

2. Allow hiding androids, either through the "effect" button or through some other means (such as a "transparent android" cash item - after all, all other visible equipment items can be hidden with transparent covers).

3. Allow hiding familiars.

4. Allow hiding pets.

5. Allow hiding class-specific elements such as Kanna's Haku, Cannoneer's Monkey, Evan's Mir, Luminous' Orb.

6. Allow hiding own/others' damage numbers. The feature that allowed that, "remote effect", was removed and replaced with skill transparency. While skill transparency is useful as far as it goes, it does not affect damage numbers, which fill up the screen and make it really hard to tell what's going on.

How do you know whether the people at Nexon actually knows that we want some of these things? Remote effects was literally one of the best things they took out just cause KMS did as well.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    BunnySaki wrote: »
    How do you know whether the people at Nexon actually knows that we want some of these things? Remote effects was literally one of the best things they took out just cause KMS did as well.

I don't know that they know. That's why I'm telling them.
  • pepepepe
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited May 2017
    my biggest pet peeve are the pets getting in my way. Down with them I say.