[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

How was your IGN invented?

Comments

• ArchanIomharArchanIomhar
    Reactions: 1,025
    edited May 2017
    Oh boy, I always love this story...

My first IGN waaaay back in the day (12 years ago!!) when I first joined MS was 'Archanpuyo'. Archan was a name I shamelessly stole from the game 'Puyo Puyo~n', and the franchise name may seem familiar to N Switch and PS4 owners, since the series has just had it first NA localization in over a decade, but moving on...
    Archan was a minor character. Very minor. Never appeared again since that game. But I love her, she was adorable. As her name suggests, she is an Archer, and I heard there were archers in this game, so it seemed appropriate! I tried to take the name 'Archan' but apparently it was already taken and... I never did find out who had the name. I've always wanted to throttle them. I tacked on 'Puyo' because at least that designated that I was a fan of this, at the time, obscure puzzle game series.

After some years of being 'Archanpuyo', I started playing Mabinogi after moving on from MS for a bit (post Cygnus Knights update I believe), and after just a year or so, one of my guildies was writing a story featuring everyone's characters and asked which name they should use for me. I didn't want 'Archan' because I associated that name with my Maplestory character not my Mabi character, so that one got named Puyon.

I should probably note at this point that there's a fine line between having a playersona and making an OC based on your avatar, and that's what Archan was. She wasn't anything like me as a person and I had fantastic story ideas that I wanted to make for her... which I did. Through out all the times I wrote about her when I was like... 10. As a result, I never really wanted to let her go. Archan started making minor appearances in all my works following, by the way, just because I didn't have the heart to drop my first OC. So... 9 years after quitting MS or so, I come back... my oldest account seemed defunct so I had to face the music and accept that OG Archanpuyo was gone forever. At first, I tried to go by a new name 'MarinaRivera' after another of my OCs but... it didn't stick. I realized that I really missed Archan and that nobody else could take her place as my main character. So when I went to pick out a shiny new name for her, I couldn't reuse 'Archanpuyo' because apparently the ghost of my account still has it, so I decided it was time Archan got a proper surname... so I looked up names that meant 'Archer' so I could effectively name a character 'Archer Archer'. Iomhar, I believe, was an old nordic name, but I'm not 100%...

Anyways, this has been a long, winded story. For every other secondary character I have, I name them something like 'HarlowZiv' or 'SloaneZiv' after a rather huge set of OCs I have called the Ziv Clan. So I just have a pool of names to choose from :V
    JettLuvsU
  • InvulgoInvulgo
    Reactions: 4,620
    edited May 2017
    My current main is a Luminous named Illuminatari. Since she uses a light/dark system that fills her orb with darkness or light depending on skill usage. I view her as the controller of light and darkness, the illuminator. The IGN also sounds a bit like Illuminati! I personally love picking apart conspiracy theories by using critical and logical thinking, sometimes just for entertainment depending on how outrageous they are.

Shorter explanation: Illuminatari sounds very bright huehue :P

JettLuvsU
  • DaisukeHarutoDaisukeHaruto
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited May 2017
    @OneLetter
    You must be a very busy guy
    Maplestory-J.jpg
    JettLuvsUscholar624
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited May 2017
    It's my name.
    JettLuvsUSanjay
  • SlatymateSlatymate
    Reactions: 2,150
    edited May 2017
    My current IGN is "Naked". I used to make jokes that I killed bosses without equipment, so a full "naked" solo.
    JettLuvsU
  • PyroMyRosePyroMyRose
    Reactions: 310
    edited May 2017
    When I started playing Maplestory around 2007, my first character I created was a Cleric, which the second I advanced as one, I felt a spark. And back then when doing party quest or bossing was huge. I named my character "ReviveMyLife" because it was a name that was very special to me, and healing/reviving others is fun! . And it's very fitting for a Bishop ;3
    JettLuvsU
  • SparkleeSparklee
    Reactions: 2,630
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Hmm the story behind my name is one I really don't actually know myself, it just sorta happened.

When I first joined MS, I had the IGN Tracie which is my name, so that one is obvious. But left Maple for a few years, came back to find everything had changed from what I remembered.
    So I made a new character, a Demon Slayer, Trixaz. That name is from 'Trixi' which I used to get called too, but alas the name Trixi was taken, so after a play about finding a name "Trix-" something, Trixaz was born.
    But then I realised that Demon Avengers had the nicer hairstyle for girls. (Hah!) So I made a DA, named it Sparklee. (I also pronounce it as Sparkly, not Sparkle) No idea why that name even came to be. But that now being my main, the rest is history.
    But many other mule accounts of mine, the majority of them tend to relate to the word Sparkle, in some form.
    JettLuvsU
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    >:)

I don't have a main but my original 4 have all originated from an old RPG Maker game I used to make. When that game flopped, I took my OCs from it and used them in Maple.

How I came up with those names though were taken apart from the dictionary and merged together. I just fell in wuv with those names, couldn't help but to keep my flopped game alive by using the names I made up.

>:)
  • SanjaySanjay
    Reactions: 1,616
    edited May 2017
    Maryse wrote: »
    It's my name.

Same here ._. while all these people with their fancy and exciting stories, we just have our names :|
  • DaisukeHarutoDaisukeHaruto
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited May 2017
    Sanjay wrote: »
    Maryse wrote: »
    It's my name.

Same here ._. while all these people with their fancy and exciting stories, we just have our names :|

no shame there. Maryse and Sanjay sounds like names from a far away land, lands of mystery and legend where swords are not just decorative and where the gods are shown in towering statues.

JettLuvsU
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited May 2017
    My Wild Hunter's name is KingDaxKa, named after the tallest roller coaster in the world. Kingda Ka is themed off a tiger (Wild Hunter's jaguar is close enough.)

• KushyDragonKushyDragon
    Reactions: 1,715
    edited May 2017
    My Bishop was originally called BishopBunneh back in 2005, just a cutesy name for a female bishop. However I wasn't the type to use people and catfish. It was because I found female gear was 1/4th the price of male items. Also because I liked a certain hairstyle they had out. I changed the name with a name change which cost 10k NX back in the day. It was now RockerRobert so people would stop trying to hit on me and thinking I was an actual female. Things still didn't pan out.

Move along in maple history to the world leap event and I moved over my Ultimate Adventurer Bowmaster. When we got the free name change I made it Rocs because a Roc is an Eagle and I was basically using a Bowmaster at this point in time. I felt like overall it was suited because you have your phoenix already so why not name a bow-user with a phoenix after a mythological giant Eagle.

And that's how my IGNs were formed.

Other IGNs I usually just make on the fly, It's random.
    DaisukeHaruto
  • earlzorkearlzork
    Reactions: 500
    edited May 2017
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    I was wondering how you guys invented the IGN of your mains. Does it mean anything special to you, was it random, or plain cool looking?

Please tell me the story behind your IGNs :P.

Hi,

I am earlzork on Maple Story. Actually this is AngelRose59 here in the chatroom, posting for my Hubby who will be coming home from Rehab/Nursing Home/Physical Therapy in 1 week :D

I just wanted to share how earlzork got his name here and on MapleStory:

His real life middle name is Earl, and from one generation to the next, the name Earl has been passed down as a middle name.

Zork, well, there once was an old game called Zork. It was so old, that it was one of those kinda games that you typed words out to play the game, it was a really old DOS game. They updated it, so you can see pictures, and actually move the character around after a while, but was never kept up to date, and they finally ended the game for good. Have any of you, or do any of you remember the old game Zork or Return to Zork? Robert just loves that game. If any of you know where to find a copy of that game, I want to get that for him, and give it to him, as a special treat for coming home from Rehab/Physical Therapy. Let AngelRose59 know, please :D NOW . . . . SHSHSHSHSHSH, it is a SECRET!!!

Hey ya'll,

Take Care, and please show earlzork some love by friending him, OK?

earlzork and AngelRose59 :D :D :D