[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Look of the Month contest: May

NeospectorNeospector
Reactions: 9,760
Volunteer Forum Moderator
edited May 2017 in Contests and Events
Hi Maplers! It's your friendly neighborhood Look of the Month contest!
V8QZQZf.png

We will be looking for the best outfits, costumes, and flair from each of your in-game characters!

Here's what we are looking for in specific:

A picture of your character dressed in your favorite MapleStory outfit. This can be your training gear, outfits from events, clothes from the Cash Shop, anything! We prefer if you take a picture of your character for this month. After all, this is the Look of the Month contest.

Creativity based around the time of the year is something we consider as well. In months that have the possibility of themes (like October with Halloween and December with Christmas, for example) we may pick two winners if we see multiple entries in both categories.

Participants should write a short description of what your character is wearing and what sort of look you're going for.
This is just the basic template of what you should have in your entry:

Image:

IGN:

World:

Short description of what your character is wearing:

What look you're going for (theme):
Make sure to include your IGN and World! We wouldn't want to get the submissions mixed up.
Rules:

No multiple submissions

No plagiarism

No inappropriate content (Definition of inappropriate is left up to the decision of the judges)

The use of sites such as BannedStory to simulate environments and character outfits is NOT permitted.

Entries must be submitted within the submission time limit which will run from the time of this post to May 25th, 2017 at 12 PM / Noon (Pacific Time).

Any breach of these rules is grounds for disqualification

All decisions of the judges are final

Players that have been banned in the game are not allowed to win this contest.

Look of the Month Contest - Official Rules

How do we decide the winner? We have three elements that go into judging:
  • Originality: Is your outfit unique, or common? Is it yours, or is it everyone else's too?
  • Trendy: Is your outfit hip or lame?
  • Theme: Why does your outfit work? Does each piece of equipment have a "why" behind it, or is it cobbled together randomly?

Prizes:

Look of the Month winner will receive 35,000 Maple Points
2 Runner Ups will receive 10,000 Maple Points

The winner will have their character spotlighted on the MapleStory Forums for the month following the event, along with commentary from a certain (dis)reputable dragon...
The winner will be chosen no later than May 28th, 2017 at 11:59:59 pm Pacific Time. The Maple Points prize will be distributed within the coming week after the announcement.

We will choose only 1 winner for May, so let's see those favorite outfits!

We can't wait to see how fashionable your in-game characters are! And if you have any questions about this contest, feel free to ask!

Best of luck!

- From the MapleStory Volunteers
Duzz

Comments

• DuzzDuzz
    Reactions: 1,360
    edited May 2017
    HasLL2z.png

IGN:
    Duzz

World:
    Bera

• Hayato's Helmet (Hat)
    • Arkarium's Beard (Face)
    • Michaela's Glasses (Eye Acc)
    • Beaded Cross Earrings (Ear Acc)
    • Red Mantle (Overall)
    • Metus (Weapon)
    • Falcon Wing Sentinel Gloves (Gloves)
    • Red Hunter Shoes (Shoes)
    • Sirius Cape (Cape)

I was mostly inspired by the Japanese samurai archer theme. At least that's what my look eventually morphed into. I like hanging out in Mushroom Shrine and other old-world Japan inspired places in MapleStory.

I like to think that my character is a retired samurai relaxing in the Maple World, saving it whenever there's trouble and giving wisdom and assistance to unseasoned noobies/travelers.

Also, I really like that my character is very clean and non-cluttery. The lack of titles, multiple giant pets, and large flashy effects gives a fresher look to it.

Supplementary Details

Things that contribute to look, but aren't clothes:
    • Red Rose Label Ring (Label Ring)
    • Final Hitter (Medal)
    • Craw (Pet)
    • Snow Hair (White)
    • Hoi Poi Face (Red)

Thoughts and History behind look:
    The progress on this look has been gradually underway for the last 4-5 years. I'd have to say it started with my pair of Michaela's Glasses I picked up from Xerxes over 5 years ago. Ever since then, I've been building up an assortment of complementary equips with lots of trial and error. I also try to take people considerations and recommendations. After the glasses I got my Hayato's Helmet from a Hot Time more than 4 years ago. Following that, I managed to pick up an Arkarium's Beard from the 2013 Mystic Gate event.

In early 2013, I picked up the most adorable little Craw as my pet, and I quickly fell in love with it. I lovingly have named him Spopovich. He, with his charming little pirate hat, are a perfect match for my intended color scheme, and surprisingly this is actually a coincidence.

I began to do research on MapleStory items that might compliment my current four assets, primarily looking for red/gold/samurai/old man type of items. This process was a very gradual one which took, like I mentioned earlier, about 4-5 years.

My final look (for the most part) was achieved in around March 2015, though I did make a small change a year later when I started using the Final Hitter medal which was received from Act I of Heroes of Maple.

Detailed Analysis:
    M4xYQ3C.png

As can be clearly seen, almost all of my equips have a relation, in that they are red/gold-trimmed/black. Here are some other cool relations some of my items have with each other.

• The seamless transition in the sleeve to the glove is one of my favorite things about this look. These are two unrelated items (lvl140 Glove and lvl110 Overall), yet they seem destined for each other!
    • I like that almost all of my worn clothes have a gold trim to them! Take a close look!
    • The relation of my medal to my guild emblem is fantastic. The aquamarine, gold, and white colors are almost identical in each. I was deadset on my look 2 years ago, until I got this medal and immediately noticed how perfect it was.
    • My pet Craw is also very much worth mentioning. It's obvious, but all of his colors are ones that I have on my equips. His goldish beak compliments the crescent on my Hayato's Helmet. The pirate hat has almost the exact colors as my hat as well . Also note that his wings match the color of my guild emblem and medal which is also lovely!

I'm happy that I finally made an entry in this contest!
    BruiseJettLuvsUDorksDiscordOfColors
  • inukiroyainukiroya
    Reactions: 880
    edited May 2017
    IGN: Kirøya

World: Chaos

http://i.imgur.com/obbUq74.jpg

Romantic Bamboo Hat
    War Paint
    Medical Eye Patch
    Dawn Bear Outfit
    Breezy Bamboo
    Red Strap Clogs
    White Ghostly Cloth
    Red Panda Tail

Trying to go for a Japanese warrior theme, with a transition of spring to summer look, hat symbolizes the spring of the cherry blossoms. Also added a touch of personalizing with my true legendary hero medal and trade mark magician anime look of the eye patch and wrist wraps~

(also note: I hope I didn't lose the last contest because my image didn't properly upload even after I edited the the image location >_> first time trying to post an image. If you guys didn't count my entry because of that i am going to use that look again in another contest because its a really good look and i haven't seen anyone with 90% of my equips on)
    JettLuvsU
  • RayKudaRayKuda
    Reactions: 1,280
    edited May 2017
    B8r6V5v.png

IGN: Kuda
    World: Broa

Wearing:
    Black Blazer, top
    Ice Jeans, bottom
    Reverse Grabbe, shoes
    Schwarzer Coat, cape
    Tiger's Fang, weapon

Going for a modern samurai look, I like to think the top/bottom match it my cape and my shoes match with my sword.
    I also have a tiny pet friend who looks like a kitten, but is really a wolf in disguise.
  • iamfulliamfull
    Reactions: 540
    edited May 2017
    Well. since there is a template already, I guess I can just copy-pasta it over here!

This is just the basic template of what you should have in your entry:

Image: I_need_to_get_water_of_lives_in_the_future.PNG

IGN: djOrange

World: Reboot

Hat - Chaos Pierre Hat (Best Hat in the game!)
    Eye - Foxwit's Glasses (I love the way these look)
    Overalls - Friendstory Overall Anvil (These are really nice, but its a shame you can only equip them with an overall)
    Gloves - Empress Gloves (This is actually just here cause I don't have anything better, but it matches!)
    Cape - Hot Pink Backpack (It matches my overall!)
    Shoes - Purple Shoes (I forget the name)
    Earrings - Gollux Earrings (Uh, I actually don't have NX to anvil anymore)
    Weapon - Sweetwater Wand
    Shield - Deimos Mage Shield

I was going for something goofy that would match the hat because I thought its the best looking hat in game, and I had to get my armor to match it! And by matching, I mean by everything clashing! I just like how everything is so weird, it works out in the end. The pet also matches the character super well due to color scheme.

Best part about it? there is almost no NX required for this. The backpack was from MLH event, the shoes were 5k NX (Was in a set of 5 items), the hair is free royal hair from an earlier event, and the Friendstory Anvil is from just doing Friendstory! Kind of a F2P look that works out for me.
  • SircaptainSircaptain
    Reactions: 740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Image:
    qx1l02.jpg

IGN: Genocider

World: Luna

Hat - Devil Horns
    Eye - Head bandage
    Face - War Paint
    Top - Skull Shirt
    Bottom - Vintage black pants
    Shoes - Shoes of destruction
    Gloves - Burning Ghost Wristband
    Cape - Schwarzer Coat
    Weapon - Shadow Lamp
    Ring - Ladybug label ring
    Ring - Lightning god ring (yes I got a god on my side)

My theme is my IGN actually.
    Monsters surely are evil, but we all slaughter them once they respawn, even with kishin we force spawn them so we can kill more of them. My Class is a hero, being a slaughterer, makes me more of an Anti-Hero, so my theme is actually the overpowered villain that wants more and more monster deaths on his name.
    I chose the shadow lamp as weapon because it's spooky floating like that, and the effects it does are truly destructive against mobs c: or so it seems!
  • JoeStoryJoeStory
    Reactions: 100
    edited May 2017
    Image:
    usklc.jpg

IGN: Leone
    World: Scania
    Short Description of what your character is wearing:
    Hat- Orchid's Black Wing Hat
    Eye- Transparent Eye Accessory
    Face- Transparent Face Accessory
    Top- Napoleon Jacket
    Bottom- Torn-Up Jeans
    Shoes- Transparent Shoes
    Gloves- White Ghostly Cloth
    Cape- Schwarzer Coat
    Weapon- Flaming Katana
    Ring - Red Rose Label Ring

What Look you're going for (Theme):
    I always love Orchid! So my character theme was based on Orchid except with a Twist, you see i might look like a Commander of the Black Mage, but I am a undercover Hero disguising as a one of them waiting for an Opportunity to strike! I am the Hero Maple Needs!!! My Weapon of choice is the Flaming Katana, it is my favorite 1 Handed sword in the world of Maple and the Burning Flame stands out due to my Dark ish theme! Oh and that's my Pal Brownie! Isn't he cute?! :)
  • zSethzSeth
    Reactions: 800
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    maple0034ostpif5yrv.jpg

IGN: zSeth

World: Luna

Hat - Devil Horn's (anviled on my cra hat)
    Face - Bloody Tears
    Overall - Seraphim Suit
    Shoes - Kerning Engineering School Shoes
    Glove - Rock Chain Armlet
    Cape - Shadow Peacemaker
    Name Tag - Skull Label Ring
    Weapon - Utgard Axe (anviled over my fafnix axe)
    Shield - Black Force Shield (anviled over my force shield of extreme)
    And im even using the very fitting "Speed Demon" Title even tho it lost its stats long ago. Also my "Conqueror of Hell" Medal is fitting very nicely.

I have this look since years already, way back in EMS. Back then there was no big roster of "darker" nx covers, you mosltly had to cover yourself in shiny colorfull equipment because that was what you where given from the europe staff :# . So i tried my best to make a contrast to that. Thats what the Punk in me wanted. :P

Now, in GMS we get a broat mass off perm nx items every month, and a few people running around in similar looks. But im going to stick with it anyways. It kinda became a recognizable trademark for my Character. And in the end, its a very fitting outfit for a Demon Slayer.
    JettLuvsUDiscordOfColors
  • Skylight01Skylight01
    Reactions: 200
    edited May 2017
    mapl2fixmkl5etg.png

IGN: CannonSanti
    World: Bera
    Hat: Maple Hat (Level 2)
    Face: Weird Slime Face Accessory
    Eye: Chaos Pink Bean Mark
    Top: RED T-shirt (Male)
    Bottom: Star Shorts (Male)
    Shoes: Noble Maple Shoes
    Glove: Maple Gage
    Weapon: Maple Glory Sword
    Shield: Maple Shield
    Cape: Maple Cape
    Pet: Black Pig (Permanent)
    Ring:Squishy Pink Label Ring
    Title: Holy Pink Beanity
    Medal: Mushroom Kindom Guardian
    Earring: Superior Gollux Earrings

What Look you're going for (Theme):
    Honestly i just wanted to go a little bit nostagic. Eight years ago this island where it all started for me. I remember i was so undecided to choose a class and a subclass and nowdays i have like all of them, this game bring me so many memories and i dont regret every second i've spent playing it. Long time ago i thought this maple equip were so badass but at that time i didnt even have money to buy an armor for my class so i just wanted to show the beauty of this Maple gear in all its spendor and i thought i would look funny with this Slime face. By the way remember when everyone just have this little piggy friend im still keeping it until today. :)
  • PotatofuPotatofu
    Reactions: 470
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Contest Submission Image:
    JzSoFsV.jpg

It wouldn’t be complete without my twinnie, with whom I’ve been matching for years:
    kxl6fmP.jpg
    (just a bonus picture, not an extra submission)

IGN: Valkyrie

World: Zenith (GRAZED)

Description:
    - Triumphant Ribbon Pig Hat
    - Unmanaged Anger
    - Santa Girl Overall (Female)
    - Burning Ghost Wristband
    - Devil Wings
    - Soft Chocolate Fondue Scepter
    - Ink-and-Wash Painting Name Tag Ring
    - Ink-and-Wash Thought Bubble Ring

Theme:
    With May comes MapleStory's anniversary!

The overall scheme celebrates the game’s iconic red maple leaf in both the shape of the hat, as well as the more subtle wings. Together, they contrast the rounder centerpiece: MapleStory’s classic monster, the Ribbon Pig. This monster’s chubbiness is further captured in the Sparkling Face used, which has similar chubby cheeks in most facial expressions.

It wouldn’t be a party without some cake, so I chose the Soft Chocolate Fondue Scepter with its tasty decors that are reminiscent of cake pops. I also used a chocolate-colored hair to tie the look together. To wrap it all up, the gloves mimic the ribbon embellishments of a real birthday present.

Thank you for the memories; now, here is our gift to you.

Happy 12th birthday MapleStory!

Love from Valkyrie and xoxo
    pommepouffeJettLuvsU
  • SolskaSolska
    Reactions: 310
    edited May 2017
    Image:
    GMTBZUy.png

IGN:
    Solska

World:
    Reboot

When Transformed (Dress-Up):
    Weapon - Transparent Weapon
    Top - White Casual Suit
    Bottom - Cowboy Pants (Female)
    Ring - Squishy Pink Label Ring
    Compact - Cynical Compact (Worn underneath for the effects!)
    Title - Superstar

Pet - Fluffy Lily <3

The Idol Fashion!
    A simple yet sensational look, that is the look I aspire for!
    From the very beginning, Tear's (Angelic Buster) past story and background had truly captivated me. So I strive to create the look that best represents her.
    And, that is the look of a casual, fun loving Idol!
    TinySnickers
  • BruiseBruise
    Reactions: 1,375
    edited May 2017
    @neospector According to the official rules, the judging criteria is 50% originality and 50% theme. But here and according to the tumblr post it says originality, theme, AND trendy. Could that be a miscommunication?
    Duzz wrote: »
    HasLL2z.png

The old man of basilmarket has graced us with his well-aged presence. The forum now has the subtle aroma of a thousand year old wine.

JettLuvsUDuzzTashie
  • DetrivanceDetrivance
    Reactions: 2,405
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited May 2017
    gwn4Scm.jpg
    76TiRAn.jpg

IGN: Emotion
    World: Bera

White Bohemian Hair
    Insolent Face (Sapphire)
    Ayame's Hair Pin NX hat
    Dollish Pink NX Face Accessory
    White Casual Suit NX Top
    Underpants NX bottom
    G Clef Label Ring
    Cloud Stroller Chair

I was going for a white theme since I usually afk in El Nath. Also wanted a location in El Nath where it looked like my character was staring off a cliff in deep thought.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Bruise wrote: »
    @neospector According to the official rules, the judging criteria is 50% originality and 50% theme. But here and according to the tumblr post it says originality, theme, AND trendy. Could that be a miscommunication?

50% originality, 50% theme, 50% trendiness.
  • DuzzDuzz
    Reactions: 1,360
    edited May 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

hold on...
  • BruiseBruise
    edited May 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

I did some mental math and it seems to add up. 50+50+50=100 o:)
  • ScarlettLoveScarlettLove
    Reactions: 510
    edited May 2017
    Nice job.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    You kids act like you've never seen a test with extra credit questions before.
  • BruiseBruise
    edited May 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    You kids act like you've never seen a test with extra credit questions before.

Though if trendiness were a testing criterion, it would probably be to check for cheating.
  • SesomSlayerSesomSlayer
    Reactions: 1,185
    edited May 2017
    2ttJzpt.png

IGN: GdemOnD

World: Luna EU

Black Crown(Hat)
    LED Sunglasses(Eye Acc)
    White Male Fure Coat(Overall)
    Royal Marine Flag(Weapon)
    Noble Maple Shoes(Shoes)
    Pirate Emblem Flag(Cape)
    Skull Label Ring(Ring)

I'm going for a pirate lord look. It's an uncommon combination, that's why it's special.

Together with my loyal dog and crew I sail the oceans looking for sea-demons, plundering anyone in my way. With my glasses I can detect sea-demons from far and slay them since I'm a demon-slayer. My crown displays my divinity but also my dark side as a pirate lord. The red flag reflects that no mercy will be given to those who dare to fight me. The blue flag I stole from the Royal Marine shows that no one can control me, not the royal marine nor anyone else.

5uZFRiE.png
    I'm a pirate lord, arrrr!
  • LohdyLohdy
    Reactions: 1,660
    edited May 2017
    EOaQzNa.png

IGN: Lohd

World: GRAZED (Galicia)

Description:
    Black Rebel Girl Hair
    PPL Face (Amethyst)
    Skull Hairpin (hat)
    Single Earring (earring; anvilled)
    Preppy Knit Vest (top)
    Plitz Skirt (bottom)
    Black Forte Boots (shoes)
    Skull Label/Quote Ring
    Sitting on Pierre's Best Friend chair.
    "Troubled Child" Title (not sure if it's visible here)

Theme:
    An unruly student theme. It's exam season for all the youngsters in school! But rather than studying like good children, Lohd and her best friend Pierre are causing a ruckus in the Library! Such rebellious attitude is reflected in Lohd's unorthodox hairstyle and outfit choices; a very "Troubl[ing] Child" indeed.
    JettLuvsU
This discussion has been closed.