[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Will it ever raise again? Or is nexon out of ideas

SkippemsSkippems
Reactions: 200
edited May 2017 in General Chat
Interesse in de loop der tijd - translation - Interest over time

Uilklix.png

Comments

• JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    maybe they could try preventing the rampant hacking?
  • SaekiSenpaiSaekiSenpai
    Reactions: 1,175
    edited May 2017
    Considering the game has been around for 12+ years, I'd say the game had a good run for a while. Obviously it won't hold interest forever. Heck, even WoW can't do that and that stuff is subscription based too so they have a constant stream of money coming in. I just came back to maplestory for nostalgia's sake and for the Re:Zero event (disappointing as it is) since I'm watching the anime currently and liking it thus far.
    steamconeJettLuvsU
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited May 2017
    Nexon isn't out of ideas, but in my opinion they're making poor decisions that looks more short-term rather than long term.

A lot of loose ends have been tied rather poorly. If we look at issues such as Kanna's Kishin Shoukan, illicitly gained items/skills/hyper stats, Crimsonwood Keep Party Quest Revamp (it still isn't here), Masteria Through Time, Choco Power! Event, Best Friends Forever (BFF) Event are some of the many problems that we've had.

Viewing end-game content the structure of it is at a major imbalance. Bonus Potentials, Star Forcing Superior Equipment, Nebulites, and Nodestones are lacking availability and affordability within Non-Reboot. Reboot is lacking availability in Nebulites since there is no trading in Reboot. However it may not seem like that because either people in Non-Reboot worlds are continuously throwing money at it or hackers botting to the point where the market or player-base seems that those rates are fair. However it could be much further than the truth.

End-game bosses, I've brought this up before. Clean Empress Equipment won't help you beat Cygnus, and same with Chaos Root Abyss. Potential is the main factor which has become more accessible throughout the years but the randomness is absolutely a pain. Some people can get the best stats and tier within a few cubes. Others may take hundreds if not thousands. The fact that in Non-Reboot you can continue buying it for real money, and those people hacking throws the balances off the scales. There definitely needs to be a revision in the gain for power.

Many players have said avoiding pay-to-win by playing in Reboot is the best solution. I'll agree it is the best solution that is available but otherwise it is running away from the real problem. I find it absolutely crazy that you can continue to drop money until your equipment is perfected while others actually playing the game spends hundreds if not thousands of hours trying to catch up, and they can't. Lets not forget that real-money-trade (RMT) while it is against the End User License Agreement (Updated 22 December 2015), it does exist.

Hacking is still a thing too which imbalances gameplay even more. This can cause revising suggestions such as the limitations of Nebulites or Nodestones to not be taken seriously due to hackers making it seem more obtainable than they actually are. There may be a stance against hacking by the measures taken and the numbers shown each week being thousands but that's simply not enough. There are entire regions worth of botters continuing to hack if you know where to look. There needs to be additional measures taken such as permanently patching full-map attacks (FMA) hacks utilizing certain jobs such as Blaze Wizards, Kinesis, and Blaster. If those hacks cease to exist it will cripple them in the long run.

The Cash Shop is also a huge problem. Many people have expressed over the event of Re:Zero that the crossover equipment being in Re:Zero Surprise Style Boxes and Re:Zero Random Boxes having low rates and most likely you won't obtain them. However I believe that it should extend outside of that. I believe in direct purchase of packages or items which can help increase sales due to there being no risk. Having a weekly sale of items or packages that are permanent will guarantee sale which is already being done, but if it's done with some Surprise Style Items that may heighten the interest or give players a second thought before buying. This can apply to Royal Hairs as well.

In short my main concern is the player power structure and ladder, attainability of certain items or upgrades, hacking/real-money-trade, and the over-usage of random chance. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's a wide variety that can be done which can slowly rebuild the trust of former, current, and new players. It can't be done overnight but there needs to be action and initiative, not just discussion and planning. Something needs to happen.
    LatinwxDaisukeHarutoSlicedTimeBooberpuppyFennekinJettLuvsUMisterKrekelPetalmagicTemptation
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    Reactions: 3,415
    edited May 2017
    @Its2Sharp4U
    You pretty much said it all. I think Nexon is just far too out of touch with today's MMO standards. There are just too many other options with online (and offline) gaming now, the competition is fierce, and Nexon is still too first decade millennium about it to keep up with the rest. They also have major issues with not living up to player's standards and listening to what the community wants. They make decisions the same way politicians do, which means their way or the highway, basically. Top that off with the fact that they make positive changes very slowly, and poor decisions very rapidly, much to the vexation of us players. They also have taken to shutting down people for expressing their "negative" opinions when it isn't supportive of the happy-happy-joy-joy illusory atmosphere they like to uphold within these forum walls.

I believe the only, and I do mean ONLY reason the veteran players stick around is because no one else has stepped up to the chibi art side scroller genre and made a better version of this type of game. It's the only outlet we have to get our "fix". I think Wonderking was the last one that even came close, and that is a few years gone now. A possible second reason might be for nostalgia sake, but that wears off quickly and people play like yo-yos to that tune, with ever-increasing hiatuses in-between the ever-decreasing quality events. Who knows how much longer Maplestory NA will stay afloat...I think we who still bother to check in on this old game still have some hope that Nexon will step it up and get with the times. It'd be a shame to see such a great concept go down the drain, but I suppose what will be will be.
  • XeratetsuXeratetsu
    Reactions: 1,050
    edited May 2017
    The whole idea that nexon can even begin to deal with hacking problems is just that, An idea. It can be put into practical use because the entire back bone of the game is literally just spaghetti code. The only way they nexon could even begin to deal with the hacker problem is if they sort out the games code and make it actually make sense. But this in itself will never happen because going in and reprogramming the entire game is such a laborious undertaking that its almost an impossibility.

This isnt even speculation, If the games code wasnt a giant bowl of spaghetti code, then they would have no problem patching hacks, They would have no problem fixing bugs, and they wouldnt break everything with every update.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    They just need to

1 Make the game stable , Most players don't play because the game is so crashy and laggy
    2 Fix all the annoying bugs and the majority of other bugs
    3 Do less Boring/Repetitive events (Not stuff like 1k attendance checks for instance..)

It's nothing to do with "Being out of ideas"

I think even the lack of new classes could be a factor. I bet if Zen was added we would see a spike in activity for a bit . But we need an increase in character slots...

Oh and stop with bs changes
  • SkippemsSkippems
    Reactions: 200
    edited May 2017
    All of you have so many interesting things to say. It specialy got my attention at the point where you guys were saying "Nexon isn't out of ideas, but in my opinion they're making poor decisions that looks more short-term rather than long term" Nexon is so focust on giving us what they think we want, such as events with special rewards wich gives us the oppertunity to gain power. However what they include as power... just got out of hand. The difference between strong and strong is enormous. You could find spell traces, participate in events and gain power on a non-pay-to-win way. However, a player could also decide to merch for him/herself, wich means he/she can gain a nice amount of money and makes him able to get a hand on some realy good equipment (i am a non-pay-to-win player and got 2,6m range in 1,5 year). Sadly we also have those players who have spent 20k if not more into maplestory. Those people have such a huge influence on the game that it's just abnormal to see what the difference is between a pay-to-win player and a actual new player who for example started a week ago. Mention this... an item of 30b is worth in euros... €150,00. But we do need those items if we want to be capeable of killing bosses such as cra and lotus. Not to forget you need 20 of those items to actually being able to kill those bosses. 20x150=€3.000,- for actually being usefull in the game.

I read some realy nice comments in this topic and i am very satisfied with some of your replies! Maybe maple isn't what it used to be. However it's always fun to keep discussing about a topic like this one. Just sharing opinions and enjoying what other people have to say.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited May 2017
    @Its2Sharp4U
    You pretty much said it all. I think Nexon is just far too out of touch with today's MMO standards. There are just too many other options with online (and offline) gaming now, the competition is fierce, and Nexon is still too first decade millennium about it to keep up with the rest. They also have major issues with not living up to player's standards and listening to what the community wants. They make decisions the same way politicians do, which means their way or the highway, basically. Top that off with the fact that they make positive changes very slowly, and poor decisions very rapidly, much to the vexation of us players. They also have taken to shutting down people for expressing their "negative" opinions when it isn't supportive of the happy-happy-joy-joy illusory atmosphere they like to uphold within these forum walls.

I believe the only, and I do mean ONLY reason the veteran players stick around is because no one else has stepped up to the chibi art side scroller genre and made a better version of this type of game. It's the only outlet we have to get our "fix". I think Wonderking was the last one that even came close, and that is a few years gone now. A possible second reason might be for nostalgia sake, but that wears off quickly and people play like yo-yos to that tune, with ever-increasing hiatuses in-between the ever-decreasing quality events. Who knows how much longer Maplestory NA will stay afloat...I think we who still bother to check in on this old game still have some hope that Nexon will step it up and get with the times. It'd be a shame to see such a great concept go down the drain, but I suppose what will be will be.

Yeah...I am one of those who have joined the Hiatus squad. The game isn't fun anymore. I would rather pay a subscription based game (FFXIV in my case) and have a fair growth rate based on levels and hard stats (not RNG potentials, but actual gear makes the difference, mainly weapons) over a "free to play" with an enormous power creep that usually requires paying into unless you play on Reboot. (refer to Its2Sharp4U's post) FFXIV may not have constant events, but there is a lot more to keep me busy and actually motivated to play. The Re:Zero Event was enough to pique my interest and come back...and I am vastly disappointed in it.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited May 2017
    The key to staying alive is not to release all content at once, and maplestory has been following that. In retrospect many of the changes they made throughout the years to skills were foretelling on what was to come.