[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Regarding Bannedstory

BoredWeazulBoredWeazul
Reactions: 1,330
edited June 2017 in General Chat
Recently, the Maplesimulator site known as Bannedstory has been taken down. It appears that it was taken down because of copyright, but if I remember correctly, the owner of Bannedstory had full permission from Nexon. The Maple animating community might have gotten smaller over the years, but I know that there are still many Maple animators and artists that used the site to create their works. I wanted to know what's Nexon's reaction to this? What's the community's reaction to this? If it's possible for Nexon to make an official maplesimulator for those still in the maple art community?

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    How do you know it was taken down because of copyright?
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited June 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    How do you know it was taken down because of copyright?
    If you view the BannedStory Facebook page (it's a fanpage, not official) they linked a video to a person who had a theory what had happened:

• PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    Reactions: 2,730
    edited June 2017
    They took down Bannedstory?!

....Well shoot... There goes a great resource, sigh.
  • WatcherCCGWatcherCCG
    Reactions: 1,570
    edited June 2017
    Wayback Machine. No way it isn't on there.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited June 2017
    WatcherCCG wrote: »
    Wayback Machine. No way it isn't on there.

The Wayback stores webpage text and some assets, but does not store the BannedStory program itself.
    The web-based program does not work at all, and the outdated Flash program does not load.
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited June 2017
    Now that the site is down, perhaps the owner could actually release it as a download.
  • The Blue CorsairThe Blue Corsair
    Reactions: 1,915
    edited June 2017
    ShadEight wrote: »
    Now that the site is down, perhaps the owner could actually release it as a download.

They've unfortunately been unreachable (by numerous individuals in the community).
  • ZqribbleZqribble
    Reactions: 515
    edited June 2017
    That's quite a shame. I was planning to use for a project of mine.
  • Cartoondude135Cartoondude135
    Reactions: 640
    edited July 2017
    Great! JUST GREAT! NOW HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOST TIME FOR MY MAPLESTORY SHORT STORY PROJECTS?!?!?!

BTW, I mentioned about this sprite simulator site on another thread here, but it was removed because i got a note that said "We do not allow the talk of 3rd party software that may have taken assets from the game without permission.". News flash it had permission to use MapleStory's sprites and assets from the start ever since Nexon approved of it! So why was that part of my older comment talking about BannedStory removed, yet it's being allowed to be discussed here??????

Moderators................. I'll never understand them. Why can't they just take the time to sit down and listen to my version of a speech that the mayor or the president made?
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited July 2017
    Great! JUST GREAT! NOW HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOST TIME FOR MY MAPLESTORY SHORT STORY PROJECTS?!?!?!

BTW, I mentioned about this sprite simulator site on another thread here, but it was removed because i got a note that said "We do not allow the talk of 3rd party software that may have taken assets from the game without permission.". News flash it had permission to use MapleStory's sprites and assets from the start ever since Nexon approved of it! So why was that part of my older comment talking about BannedStory removed, yet it's being allowed to be discussed here??????

Moderators................. I'll never understand them. Why can't they just take the time to sit down and listen to my version of a speech that the mayor or the president made?

it was removed because in that same thread you were talking about using Private servers or making your own, to get items you shouldn't have.
    edited July 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »

it was removed because in that same thread you were talking about using Private servers or making your own, to get items you shouldn't have.

No, actually, I made that comment here: http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/9843/maplestory-2-release-date-please

And this thread wasn't talking about any of the above you mentioned.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited July 2017
    No, actually, I made that comment here: http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/9843/maplestory-2-release-date-please

That thread is about Maplestory 2, so I'm not sure how a sprite simulator would be related at all. You do mention using the models from MS2 in a dance sim, but none of these are removed. I'm not sure what was removed as it was never recorded in the logs.

Regardless, the subreddit has already produced an alternative to replace BannedStory. I'm hesitant about linking it directly but I haven't received any orders to explicitly block the website, nor has the subreddit banned the link.
    The simulator is still in a public alpha testing phase, and cannot simulate multiple characters or backgrounds/map elements the way BannedStory did. But it does work very well. Here's a character I made using it:
    1dQlaBu.png

So this discussion isn't all too relevant anymore.
    DaisukeHaruto
  • ChingTheMonkeyChingTheMonkey
    Reactions: 1,165
    edited July 2017
    Well that sucks. I used to have a blast using that thing.
    edited July 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

That thread is about Maplestory 2, so I'm not sure how a sprite simulator would be related at all. You do mention using the models from MS2 in a dance sim, but none of these are removed. I'm not sure what was removed as it was never recorded in the logs.

Regardless, the subreddit has already produced an alternative to replace BannedStory. I'm hesitant about linking it directly but I haven't received any orders to explicitly block the website, nor has the subreddit banned the link.
    The simulator is still in a public alpha testing phase, and cannot simulate multiple characters or backgrounds/map elements the way BannedStory did. But it does work very well. Here's a character I made using it:
    1dQlaBu.png

So this discussion isn't all too relevant anymore.

Well, the thing is, MapleStoey 2 is almost officially 2 years old. Plus, seeing the first MapleStory has it's own sprite simulator, this got me wondering if MapleStory 2 will get it's own simulator site too.

What I said in that comment in that thread was this: "We waited for almost 2 years and we are ALL dying to get a whif of 3d-based nostalgia; let alone create a game simulator so we can try on Cash Clothes and think twice about spending money on virtually nothing.". I even included a sample link to help people understand what we can make with simulators like BannedStory. But, as you might know, it got removed because of the above reason. I didn't even make mentions to ANY PRIVATE SERVERS in that comment, yet the moderators went above and beyond and removed it. -_-

But with that aside, it's almost time to say Happy Birthday to MapleStory 2! Nexon HAS to have answers by then on when they will release MS2 in North America! I can smell it around the bend!