[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Look of the Month - June

MegaScienceMegaScience
Reactions: 3,795
Volunteer Forum Moderator
edited June 2017 in Contests and Events
V8QZQZf.png
Greetings, Maplers!

It's time for another Look of the Month contest! We will be looking for the best outfits, costumes, and flair from each of your in-game characters!
Here's what we are looking for in specific:

A picture of your character dressed in your favorite MapleStory outfit. This can be your training gear, outfits from events, clothes from the Cash Shop, anything! We prefer the picture of your character be taken this month. After all, this is the Look of the Month contest.

Creativity based around the time of the year is something we consider as well. In months that have the possibility of themes (like October with Halloween and December with Christmas, for example) we may pick two winners if we see multiple entries in both categories.

Participants should write a short description of what your character is wearing and what sort of look you're going for.

Make sure to include your IGN and World.

Template:
This is just the basic template of what you should have in your entry:
[b]Image:[/b]

[b]IGN:[/b]

[b]World:[/b]

[b]Short description of what your character is wearing:[/b]

[b]What look you're going for (theme):[/b]
You may make additions to this template in your post as you see fit, although the criteria listed above are required.

Rules:
  • Look of the Month Contest June - Official Rules
  • No multiple submissions
  • No plagiarism
  • No inappropriate content (Definition of inappropriate is left up to the decision of the judges)
  • The use of sites such as BannedStory to simulate environments and character outfits is NOT permitted.
  • Entries must be submitted within the submission time limit which will run from the time of this post to June 25th, 2017 at 12 PM / Noon (Pacific Time).
  • Any breach of these rules is grounds for disqualification
  • All decisions of the judges are final
  • Players that have been banned in the game are not allowed to win this contest.

How do we decide the winner?
We have three elements that go into judging:
  • Originality: Is your outfit unique, or common? Is it yours, or is it everyone else's too?
  • Trendy: Is your outfit hip or lame?
  • Theme: Why does your outfit work? Does each piece of equipment have a "why" behind it, or is it cobbled together randomly?

Prizes:
  1. Look of the Month winner will receive 35,000 Maple Points
  2. Three (3) Runner Ups will receive 10,000 Maple Points

The winner will have their character spotlighted on the MapleStory Forums for the month following the event.
The winner will be chosen no later than June 28th, 2017 at 11:59:59 PM Pacific Time. The Maple Points prize will be distributed within the coming week after the announcement.

For the month of June we will have 1 primary winner chosen:
  • Your character in their favorite MapleStory outfit!

We can't wait to see how fashionable your in-game characters are! And if you have any questions about this contest, feel free to ask!

Best of luck!

- From the MapleStory Volunteers

Comments

• merpellamerpella
    Reactions: 300
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017

Image:
    glQAhgJ.png

IGN: merpella

World: Reboot

Short description of what your character is wearing:
    Black-and-white night gear for those chilly nights on the town, as is the norm in places like Lacheln. Both me and my android are dressed in a white beanie, grey coat, and black dress shoes.

What look you're going for (theme): You know those black-and-white photos that have had color added in small amounts to strengthen the image in some way? This is the same. I'm going for a monochrome design, with the eyes being the only things in color, however for myself and my android those colors are opposite: Blue for myself, and red for my android, to show a bit of contrast. It fits in perfectly in the Vanishing Journey.
  • JerebugJerebug
    Reactions: 1,841
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Image:
    iVIi2qb.jpg

IGN: Typhois

World: Reboot

Short description of what your character is wearing: Remember when everything was much harder simpler?
    My character is wearing the best items money could buy during these rough amazing times, in memorial to Pre-Bigbang. As you can see in the picture, my character was wearing work gloves, a stolen fence (yes I actually had to steal it), godly Blue Sneakers, jeans, and a T-shirt, because who could afford anything better? You might not be able to see it well, but I am definitely using a great magical wand, also known as the "Wooden Wand"

What look you're going for (theme): The look I was going for was nooby (Pre-Bigbang) back when things were not so easy to obtain, and you'd spend days grinding to level 30. I believe this theme was delivered, through the wonderful map in Kerning City with octopuses (one of the greatest places of all time), and through my clearly over powered gear.
  • AyumiKaizokuAyumiKaizoku
    Reactions: 800
    edited June 2017
    2e3bf8eb73ed9e1f7a59e7559675cbf7.png
    Gyazo link : https://gyazo.com/2e3bf8eb73ed9e1f7a59e7559675cbf7

IGN: Ayumikaizoku

World: Luna

• Nerdy Glasses (Eye accessory)
    • Flutter flower knit (overall)
    • Irish pearl (cape)
    • Pom Pom power (weapon)
    • Transparent shoes, face, hat and gloves

What look you're going for (theme):

Beautiful Pink themed background which Elluel is the best place to acquire Magical and gorgeous place that fits my pink themed outfit :)
    one of the beautiful places maplestory has, which is my favorite place by the view <3
  • Keyan the EvanKeyan the Evan
    Reactions: 2,115
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    OHUXsWi

What I'm wearing:
    Sky Blue Picnic (male)
    Lil Evan (weapon)

Face/eyes: Sparkling face (hazel), and Felix hair.

What I'm trying to go for: Felix from Re:Zero lookalike

Edit: (fixed link)

OHUXsWi.jpg?1
  • NycteaNyctea
    Reactions: 730
    edited June 2017

Image: fairy112.jpg

IGN: Sayüri

My character is wearing pastel flowery fairy clothes like Flutter Flower Knit Overall, Flower Garden Morning Hat and Fairy Flora Weapon ~

Spring Flowery Fairy theme is what I'm going for, because it's still Spring in Portugal and we have been getting lots of warm rainy days. Pollen is in the air, together with butterflies and bees. When it rains we can see birds dancing and enjoying the fresh weather ~
    The Flutter Flower Knit (overall) remebers me of the game Flutter (Butterfly Sanctuary); Flower Garden Morning (hat) makes me imagine the morning dew on flower petals, filled with pastel colors; Fairy Flora has been one of my favorite weapons of all time, because of its magical and unique design, fitting the butterfly/fairy background, with rain and a relaxing and chilling bgm.
    AyumiKaizoku
  • BruiseBruise
    Reactions: 1,375
    edited June 2017
    I have a question.

How much is background a factor in judging?

Also, if it isn't factor, would the judges try not to judge the background to avoid unconscious bias?

• TwizzzlersTwizzzlers
    Reactions: 2,235
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    h2lc6DB.png

IGN: Knoebels
    World: Scania

- 2nd Unwelcomed Guest Earrings
    - Bon Bon Pony Hat
    - Nerdy Glasses
    - So Delish Ice Cream
    - Sweet Patissier
    - Hard Carrier Suitcase
    - Candybear Watch
    - Dancing Fireflies
    - Amorian Aura Ring
    - Tania En Fuego Shoes
    - Pink Bean Buddy

What look you're going for (theme): I'm going for a nice Summer Night outside with my ice cream in my mouth and my luggage in my hand. We are going on an adventure in Maplestory tonight! We will set sail in the night blue skies and take an amazing trip to visit all the characters in each town. Lets go Maplers its time to have a summer blast!
  • NibboNibbo
    Reactions: 1,330
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    3b1987fa7d0ff06dffccb285dd7c8b12.png

IGN:
    Lapras (I have changed IGN of my character)

World:
    Luna

What my character is wearing:
    • Bright Angel's Halo
    • Flushed Cheeks
    • White Calaf (Female)
    • Aurora Pharady
    • Winged Shoes
    • Transparent Eye Accessory, Earrings, Weapon, Shield, Gloves

The overall is a non-cash shop item, which I like, since only female mages can wear it. It fits perfectly with my outfit.
    The flushed cheeks gives a cuter effect to my character, something that brings out the smiling face o:)

Hair and face
    • Blonde Shaggy Bob
    • Sugar Face (Sapphire)

I picked this face specially to compliment the style :)

My theme is a kind, angelic Bishop (Which is my characters job) o:)
    I went with very bright colours like white and yellow to give off a warm feel.
    I was thinking since its summer now and it's a sunny season, my character is sort of like a sun goddess who looks just as warm and bright :)
    AyumiKaizokuKittenCoalitionSpaceKittys
  • NeurobeatNeurobeat
    Reactions: 1,330
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    owt6E72.png

IGN: Pillbug

World: El Nido

• Red Panda Ears
    • Freckles (Female)
    • Transparent Eye Accessory
    • Orange Checked Squares ( Female)
    • Hula Hula Beaded Anklet
    • Transparent Gloves
    • Red Panda Tail
    • Puppy Pal Weapon (Brown)

"Beast Tamer? ... Oh yeah, Chase! Of course, we know her! She hasn't really been around lately, but there maaaay be some rumors that she's going to come back SUPER soon. I'm so excited! I guess you could say I look up to her just a teeny tiny wee bit... but if you so happen to see her before I do, don't tell her I said that! Ahh! It's so embarrassing. Promise your lips are sealed!" Pillbug leans in, eyes bright with admiration, and whispers, "But it's so FUN to play pretend! Just gotta be careful for those big bad wolves outside Arboren. Eek! ... Well, Haku's been a pretty good sport so far, but I really do think it's about time Chase came back. I'm not too sure how much longer he's willing to indulge me, hehehe."

NibboAyumiKaizokuKittenCoalition
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    Bruise wrote: »
    I have a question.

Also, if it isn't factor, would the judges try not to judge the background to avoid unconscious bias?

"Theme: Why does your outfit work? Does each piece of equipment have a "why" behind it, or is it cobbled together randomly?"

Well, yes, but the map you're on is not part of the outfit.
    And yet, last time, all the winners were commended on how well they fit the background, and consequently this time everyone makes it a point to stress how they fit the background.

So, the question is: are we judged on the background we chose for our picture - even though we presumably don't spend all our mapling time in that map - or not?
    Bruise
  • SparkleeSparklee
    Reactions: 2,630
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    Image: http://imgur.com/a/ZqJ0r

IGN: Sparklee

Short description of what your character is wearing: ~ Pinky Butterfly Hairpin
    ~ Flushed Cheeks
    ~ Transparent Eye Accessory
    ~ Beach Babe Outfit (Female)
    ~ Sparkling Bluebird
    ~ My Own Fireworks
    ~ Transparent Shoes
    ~ Cat Skien Label Ring
    ~ Baby Blue
    ~ Amorian Aura Ring

Hair: Blue Love Me Hair
    Eyes: Piercing Gaze (Sapphire)

What look you're going for (theme): BEACH READY! Time for a luscious day out at the beach, now that the weather is nice, hot and sunny! Nice little beach side bar to get some awesome drinks.
  • BruiseBruise
    edited June 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    AlexF wrote: »
    Bruise wrote: »
    I have a question.

"Theme: Why does your outfit work? Does each piece of equipment have a "why" behind it, or is it cobbled together randomly?"

And yet, last time, all the winners were commended on how well they fit the background, and consequently this time everyone makes it a point to stress how they fit the background.

So, the question is: are we judged on the background we chose for our picture - even though we presumably don't spend all our mapling time in that map - or not?

Yes, so the question persists.

I hope it is answered and perhaps clarified within the judging criteria.

Neurobeat wrote: »
    owt6E72.png

IGN: Pillbug

World: El Nido

• Red Panda Ears
    • Freckles (Female)
    • Transparent Eye Accessory
    • Orange Checked Squares ( Female)
    • Hula Hula Beaded Anklet
    • Transparent Gloves
    • Red Panda Tail
    • Puppy Pal Weapon (Brown)

"Beast Tamer? ... Oh yeah, Chase! Of course, we know her! She hasn't really been around lately, but there maaaay be some rumors that she's going to come back SUPER soon. I'm so excited! I guess you could say I look up to her just a teeny tiny wee bit... but if you so happen to see her before I do, don't tell her I said that! Ahh! It's so embarrassing. Promise your lips are sealed!" Pillbug leans in, eyes bright with admiration, and whispers, "But it's so FUN to play pretend! Just gotta be careful for those big bad wolves outside Arboren. Eek! ... Well, Haku's been a pretty good sport so far, but I really do think it's about time Chase came back. I'm not too sure how much longer he's willing to indulge me, hehehe."

Oh hey, I love freckles. :)
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited June 2017

Theme is the theme of what you're wearing. If you feel that the background helps your outfit better convey the theme you're going for then go for it. You can use your scenery as a means to communicate the flow of your attire and get creative with how you want to convey your look.

The reason we ask for a description and the theme you're going for is because we want to see you guys have fun with your entry.
    Submitting a screenshot with your IGN and world then calling it a day wouldn't make for an enjoyable contest experience or much of an effort. We don't want this contest to become a repetitive motion each month until an individual wins their prize.

At the end of the day, you're judged by what you wear, but we would like to see effort put into your entry.
    However, do keep in mind this is a fashion contest. Last month's contest had individuals who perfectly nailed the theme and put a TON of effort into their description and their background. If they did all this, why didn't they win? Because this is a fashion contest and theme isn't our only criteria we use to determine winners.

Perhaps some of you are wondering what the point of a description and nice scenery at this point after reading the above and this is what I want to avoid. You guys should have fun with entering in this contest as it's a way for you to give your unique style the spotlight and have others see what you bring to the table. You get to show off and tell others who look at your entry your story of your look.
    JettLuvsUNyctea
  • BruiseBruise
    edited June 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »

Theme is the theme of what you're wearing. If you feel that the background helps your outfit better convey the theme you're going for then go for it. You can use your scenery as a means to communicate the flow of your attire and get creative with how you want to convey your look.

The reason we ask for a description and the theme you're going for is because we want to see you guys have fun with your entry.
    Submitting a screenshot with your IGN and world then calling it a day wouldn't make for an enjoyable contest experience or much of an effort. We don't want this contest to become a repetitive motion each month until an individual wins their prize.

At the end of the day, you're judged by what you wear, but we would like to see effort put into your entry.
    However, do keep in mind this is a fashion contest. Last month's contest had individuals who perfectly nailed the theme and put a TON of effort into their description and their background. If they did all this, why didn't they win? Because this is a fashion contest and theme isn't our only criteria we use to determine winners.

Perhaps some of you are wondering what the point of a description and nice scenery at this point after reading the above and this is what I want to avoid. You guys should have fun with entering in this contest as it's a way for you to give your unique style the spotlight and have others see what you bring to the table. You get to show off and tell others who look at your entry your story of your look.

Thank you, Arwoo.

This does provide some insight into the logic behind judging.

So essentially it may hurt the contestant if there is no effort put into the background and it causes the judges to view it as low effort, and perhaps effort -- into making the outfit stand out in some way with whatever detail that may be outside of the outfit which falls within the rules -- is somewhat of a judging criteria.

• YourSuperiorYourSuperior
    Reactions: 550
    edited June 2017
    7WwPHAZ.png

IGN: iDom

World: Windia

I call it: Orchid-ception
    With a orchid outfit including :
    - Evening Orchid Hoodie
    - Evening Orchid
    - Sweepy Orchid
    - Dreams Within Dreams
    - And of course the adorable Orchid's Doll Chair to go with it.
    - Along with Orchidroid in matching attire

What look you're going for (theme): After gearing up in everything-Orchid we set off to defeat the corrupted Lotus once and for all, and hope to return him to his senses after seeing so much of Orchid!
    SpaceKittys
  • HaiSoDaCoolHaiSoDaCool
    Reactions: 385
    edited June 2017
    4ovfn.png

IGN: HaiSoDaHot

World: Galacia

- Lace Ribbon
    - Dollish Pink
    - Heart Full Coat

What look you're going for (theme): June is the month of marriage. What is a better repersentative of marriage than a heart! Especially in Amoria, the land of love. Thus, my theme is all about love. LOVE LOVE LOVE!
    If I win this is dedicated to Kahi my love <3
    KittenCoalition
  • StellarDemonStellarDemon
    Reactions: 1,270
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    Image:
    HQ1K4nc.jpg

IGN:
    Kaneki
    World:
    Scania
    - Penguin Hood (M)
    - Penguin Doll Outfit (M)
    - Transparent Shoes
    - Transparent Cape
    - Transparent Eye
    - Cat-Mouth Face Accessory
    Penguins trying to have fun but global warming is real.
    JettLuvsU
  • KaisuiKaisui
    Reactions: 630
    edited June 2017
    summernight_zpsflthunyh.jpg

IGN:
    Aerieth

World:
    Scania

• Kamaitachi Hat
    • Kamaitachi Suit
    • Kamaitachi Gloves
    • Kamaitachi Tail

Hibernating underneath the summer night skys.
  • DetrivanceDetrivance
    Reactions: 2,405
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited June 2017
    G5KqXnk.png

IGN: Emotion

World: Bera

Bald hair
    Ice cold red
    ill Orchid Gown
    ill Orchid IV

Sick mapler waiting to be seen at the hospital
  • CielliCielli
    Reactions: 455
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    1954e2b9fb.png

IGN: Cielli

- Moon Bloom Hair Pin
    - Dollish Pink
    - In-forest Camping Look
    - Diamond Earrings
    - Sunshine Pan
    - Baby Ram Slippers (Blue)
    - Spring Rain Drippy-drop
    - Sheep Label Ring

Exams are over and it's the beginning of the summer holidays! June is a great time to go camping, so I'm jumping right into the thick of things in a light, comfy camping outfit. Currently cooking up a nice breakfast of eggs sunny side up and a pot of oatmeal, but I'm always ready to duck into the tent when the sudden summer showers come passing by.
This discussion has been closed.