[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

The game is cluttered - no real community

Comments

• RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited June 2017
    The only thing good about pre Big Bang was the community. Would people really want to play the same damn content and the same damn classes and take 5 weeks for 5 levels before even 200 for 12-13 years? Would this game even be here still if all that actually did happen?

This is why there's a divide between those obsessed with nostalgia and those that are absolutely tired of it. The vocal part of the side of nostalgia will not shut up about it, and will not move on from it and will perpetually insist that any new content added to this game is inferior to the multi hour grind to level 10 and dying to disgustingly overpowered mobs on the long boat ride that was the only way to travel between continents. There are some people I've encountered that say "God, I miss back when level 30 was a grind." But did you really? Because good luck enjoying leveling at that speed all the way until 200, where all the important content now begins.
    Zepais wrote: »
    Almost all servers of Maple Story shut down and only a few still survive. Maple Story used to be huge and now it's basically irrelevant.
    "shut down"
    pls
    Calling me a spoiled brat for looking at things differently is so immature.
    "immature" and yet you'd like to remove most of the classes that many players enjoy just as much as explorers just because you don't like them or aren't willing to try them out and most of the content in this game, that people have invested so much into. You would be the only one celebrating if everyone were to lose their bonus potentials, nebulites. spell traces, etc for the sake of reducing whatever the hell your definition of "clutter" and "mess" is. Honestly, your entire argument is cluttered, and a mess.
    Can you even argue with some of my points? Why are there gazillion quests when leveling is too too too fast? Why are there so many servers? Why is the community and economy dead?

And I won't even say anything about the original post. It speaks for itself on how ignorant and fallacious it is.

The nostalgia blinded aren't much better than hackers and botters. They are a detriment to the community. A contributor to its "death", to use your terms. And that's not to say nostalgia is inherently bad, it's a great part of the community, but it gets absolutely obnoxious sometimes, and this is a perfect example.
    CatoooloooStargeth
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    Reactions: 915
    edited June 2017
    Bulbasaur wrote: »
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    Pre-BB is not coming back, and from what I have heard about it, I would quit the game out of sheer boredom.

That's because you conditioned yourself to only absorb the myopic, biased accounts of people on a single side of the issue - like a conservative who actively watches Fox News or liberal whose favorite media outlet is CNN.

You actually wouldn't know whether those opinions were biased or not due to the lack of context.

All I am saying is that she definitely probably heard post-BB supporters talk about how terrible pre-BB was then formed her judgement based on those opinions whilst disregarding the other side. That's just my hunch based on what she said.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited June 2017
    You actually wouldn't know whether those opinions were biased or not due to the lack of context.

All I am saying is that she definitely probably heard post-BB supporters talk about how terrible pre-BB was then formed her judgement based on those opinions whilst disregarding the other side. That's just my hunch based on what she said.

As true as it could be, and as good as assumptions can go it is probably a better idea to ask. I know that blind supporters of either side are a possibility, but I want to believe in most people that they have a reason to like or dislike such things. Whether it could be as a whole, or a portion it would be good intel to understand someone in their own shoes.

Or else it'll be hard to see an entire community as a whole, and how to move towards the next step to better it.
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    edited June 2017
    Rolls wrote: »
    Would people really want to play the same damn content and the same damn classes and take 5 weeks for 5 levels before even 200 for 12-13 years?

That's actually a straw-man argument - you are assuming that someone who prefers pre-BB wants no change to the game.
    This is why there's a divide between those obsessed with nostalgia

That's actually another baseless assumption. Unfortunately it doesn't hold much weight in an argument.
    There are some people I've encountered that say "God, I miss back when level 30 was a grind." But did you really? Because good luck enjoying leveling at that speed all the way until 200, where all the important content now begins.

Back then, there weren't any content for level 200.
    Calling me a spoiled brat for looking at things differently is so immature.
    "immature" and yet you'd like to remove most of the classes that many players enjoy just as much as explorers just because you don't like them or aren't willing to try them out and most of the content in this game, that people have invested so much into.

To be immature means to act in a juvenile manner - it usually refers to behaving inappropriately and not having scruples. I would call it inconsiderate at most, but certainly not immature. I would consider berating someone and name calling to be immature though.
    You would be the only one celebrating if everyone were to lose their bonus potentials, nebulites. spell traces, etc for the sake of reducing whatever the hell your definition of "clutter" and "mess" is.

I wouldn't celebrate because many people would leave the game, but I hate that they were added to the game in the first place.
    Honestly, your entire argument is cluttered, and a mess.
    Can you even argue with some of my points? Why are there gazillion quests when leveling is too too too fast? Why are there so many servers? Why is the community and economy dead?

And I won't even say anything about the original post. It speaks for itself on how ignorant and fallacious it is.

Why not actually address his points? Rather than claim that all his points are flawed, show him why they are.
    The nostalgia blinded

This is, again, a baseless assumption.
  • DiscordOfColorsDiscordOfColors
    Reactions: 965
    edited June 2017
    i don't feel like reading all comments so excuse me if i said something someone above me has already covered.

the game does lack a form of balance, and there's absolutely no unique to classes, most "mobile" classes are defined with not flash jump or teleport but triple jump and bigger/less cast time teleports (kanna is a weird one with huge range but also longest cast time)

there's no need for tanks or dps classes as bosses do % damage and AoE damage, so everyone essencially is the same, its not targeting a single person and dealing flat damage that can be reduced or redirected (for example to mana or functioning shields unlike AB's), there's no consequence to using potions during most boss battles like having to be out of combat or potions heal over time, making clerics's heal kinda useless and most classes have drain built in somehow, worst case you use aran card. (sure there's potion cooldown on end game bosses but usually they 1hko anyway..).

and every class nowadays is strong. meaning there's absolutely no reason to group up. in every MMORPG you're weak, from start to end, i hate to bring up the paste but i will anyway, back then the strongest members could barely pass 20k damage on mobs that's only x200 of what a level 10 could do. nowadays you start by hitting 100's at level 1 and end up doing dozen of millions if not hundreds and even billions depending on your funding. that's enough to solo most ****, so why would you share loot when you can make 100% profit? everything nowadays is inflated, when i started a fresh new acc in NA i had people give me free CRA item set because couple millions of mesos is just scraps for them. that's not that bad but it certainly takes from the adventure of the game.

nowadays there's no difficult, everything is just a matter of grind, 4 hours to make a mule to 120 (140 now) grind to gain access to content that you were dying to see as low level but already ruined the fun of it by looking at videos online because grinding to 225 is not really hard just takes a few hours of mindless grinding, basically everything is already far beyond dragged out.

and my personal most hated: decent skills. nexon has long realized, being the support sucks! and if its already neglected why not make it even more dead, so they added those skills, as usual first only for the whales who already long broke their piggy banks, and with the recent update to everybody! that method isn't new to nexon and soon enough there will be frenzys and broids all over maple but not before something even more crazy will come. for me this is a game of patience, 3 months playing 3 months break usually gets me all the goodies i had longed for while still keeping the desire to obtain all that soon to be crap...

conclusion: this game is a lot like mmorpgs but its over compensating and giving out too much free stuff so people find it hard to leave, but people will eventually get bored of it all, and when they will nerfing will have already been too late.
    SlicedTimeZepais
  • ZepaisZepais
    Reactions: 610
    edited June 2017
    Almost all servers of Maple Story shut down and only a few still survive. Maple Story used to be huge and now it's basically irrelevant.
    "shut down"
    pls

Brazil MS and Europe MS both collapsed. MSEA seems like it's on the way to shut down.
    gMS population OBVIOUSLY decreased by at least 50-60%. Are you new to this game?
  • ZepaisZepais
    Reactions: 610
    edited June 2017
    please delete this one.
  • MiwaMiwa
    Reactions: 620
    edited June 2017
    This has got me wondering about people that miss old maplestory...just when exactly was the day they quit and why they quit in the pre big bang era? Was it because your friends quit as well? Why they quit? Because lack of endgame content? Leveling is too unbearable? Why did they quit? Did they get bored as well pre big bang?
  • JointJoint
    Reactions: 1,205
    edited June 2017
    Would people really want to play the same damn content and the same damn classes and take 5 weeks for 5 levels before even 200 for 12-13 years?

That's actually a straw-man argument - you are assuming that someone who prefers pre-BB wants no change to the game.

The point of wanting pre-bb is to have no change. Otherwise that won't be pre-bb now will it? Also majority of pre-bb supporters want NO CHANGE AT ALL. They want the full pre-bb era back with no changes at all to the system. The TS wants that hence the reason he stated to delete all classes besides the explorers and he enjoys the long grinds to lvl 30.

Also weren't discussions about pre-bb banned from these forums as they always create unnecessary arguments?
  • DiscordOfColorsDiscordOfColors
    Reactions: 965
    edited June 2017
    Joint wrote: »

The point of wanting pre-bb is to have no change. Otherwise that won't be pre-bb now will it? Also majority of pre-bb supporters want NO CHANGE AT ALL. They want the full pre-bb era back with no changes at all to the system. The TS wants that hence the reason he stated to delete all classes besides the explorers and he enjoys the long grinds to lvl 30.

~~Also weren't discussions about pre-bb banned from these forums as they always create unnecessary arguments?~~

while im on the same page as you i think he's trying to say that people who are against BB wanted a more modest maplestory, rather than billions of damages maybe hundred thousands tops, and no nx hoaring on nexon's part
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    edited June 2017

The point of wanting pre-bb is to have no change.

This is incorrect. Wanting "Pre-BB" does not imply wanting no change.
    Otherwise that won't be pre-bb now will it? Also majority of pre-bb supporters want NO CHANGE AT ALL. They want the full pre-bb era back with no changes at all to the system. The TS wants that hence the reason he stated to delete all classes besides the explorers and he enjoys the long grinds to lvl 30.

Also weren't discussions about pre-bb banned from these forums as they always create unnecessary arguments?

Where did you get the impression that the majority of Pre-BB supporters are people who want "no change at all"? Did someone actually say that? Keep in mind that favoring pre-BB does not imply favoring no change.

Take Old School RuneScape for example. Many veteran players prefer OSRS not because it's an exact replica of RS in 2007 - in fact it isn't. The game constantly gets updated and new content is usually welcomed with open arms. The most popular reason for why many players prefer OSRS is because they hate the new combat system in the main game.

I want "pre-BB" not because I want "no changes to the game", I want it because, like OSRS players who prefer OSRS because they hate certain elements in the main game, I absolutely detest some of the changes made to MapleStory over the years. I wouldn't mind an old MapleStory server that constantly receives new content as long as that content isn't the same crap that went into the main game.

TS wanting the new classes to be deleted and the exp gain rates reverted back does not imply that he doesn't want the game to change at all. We can only infer that he doesn't like the new classes and the current exp gain rate, but we cannot infer that he wants "no change".

It's fine to talk about pre-BB; the rule only says to not create threads asking for an old MapleStory server.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited June 2017
    It's fine to talk about pre-BB; the rule only says to not create threads asking for an old MapleStory server.

Derailing threads, on the other hand, is definitely against the rules. So I'd advise you to tread carefully before you get into a fight on the subject.
    And, for the record, your posts are, at the moment, borderline legacy server requests. Tone it down a bit.

I have opinions on everything that's been said. I won't say them, but I have opinions on them.
    Regardless, I'm going to remind everyone of the rules, specifically:
    • Legacy server discussion is banned.
    • The spread of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) is banned, that is to say, excessive posts about how the game is "dying" or posts that bash Nexon excessively are not allowed; be constructive in your discussions, not destructive.
    If you don't follow the rules you're gonna have a bad time.