[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Old MapleStory (Pre-Big Bang)

wongfeixyoojwongfeixyooj
Reactions: 400
edited June 2017 in Rants and Raves
I miss seeing everybody hang out, everyone crowding and selling their stuff in the FM, people doing PQ, when the monster carnival and kerning pq was popular, when the PINK BEAN was the HARDEST boss and it needed like a million players to defeat it. Killing mushmom for ilbis. I was POOR af. Hitting level 30 was an achievment, but i couldn't get past 50 lol(i was bad).
Old maple was fun.

Nowadays, people don't hang out (or they do, I just can't find them), the FM is empty, nobody does monster carnival, pink bean can be solo'd. The community sorta died after big bang. Too easy to level up.
Not as fun as old maple.

I stopped playing for about 3-4 years. Came back recently (last week) and it's sad to see all the old hang out and popular spots empty. FeelsBadMan
  1. Pre or Post Big Bang?48 votes
    1. Pre-Big Bang
       38% (18 votes)
    2. Post-Big Bang
       63% (30 votes)

Comments

• 2ManyAlts2ManyAlts
    Reactions: 970
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    I miss seeing everybody hang out, everyone crowding and selling their stuff in the FM, people doing PQ, when the monster carnival and kerning pq was popular, when the PINK BEAN was the HARDEST boss and it needed like a million players to defeat it. Killing mushmom for ilbis. I was POOR af. Hitting level 30 was an achievment, but i couldn't get past 50 lol(i was bad).
    Old maple was fun.

Nowadays, people don't hang out (or they do, I just can't find them), the FM is empty, nobody does monster carnival, pink bean can be solo'd. The community sorta died after big bang. Too easy to level up.
    Not as fun as old maple.

I stopped playing for about 3-4 years. Came back recently (last week) and it's sad to see all the old hang out and popular spots empty. FeelsBadMan

I feel you lol. Level 30 was a achievement I remember feeling so accomplished lol. Then again, It was very tedious having no progress in leveling. People still hang out but in hene mushroom park and places like that. ch1 is where its at :) I'm in Scania so people always hang out.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin
    Reactions: 440
    edited July 2017
    Im a new player (15) , and only recently heard of the big bang, and I have to say, I enjoy post big bang more and dont get people that complain. I still find it fun and addictive and the game looks much more beautiful than pre big bang from what I've seen in videos. Nostalgia can blind you from the bad the old you playing at the time probably found the game fustrating in some of its mechanics. The only real thing I'd probably agree with you on is Community. But thats expected when things get old, and then a new other fad comes along.
    RollsPetalmagicArTeMaGiCa
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited July 2017
    Honestly, all the "pre big bang was better" and nostalgia posts get easily annoying. The game was terrible before compared to now, the only redeeming quality being the community.
    PetalmagicLilyflowerelzanniAzurasLightPirateIzzy
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Honestly i like the game like it is now.
    I mean its not perfect but pre-bigbang had flaws too.

In a Mmorg it should never take 1 month or year to reach lvl 30.
    Traveler5577
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited July 2017
    Pre BB was only fun in the community aspect, other than that it was pretty terrible, but had reason (to hide the lack of content around certain levels and strech out the playtime as much as they could) but as the game got more content there was no reason to keep the old leveling mountain all these Pre-BB lovers keep admiring through their rose tented glasses of nostalgia, As I played Pre BB i have first hand experience of what it was like and remember that i loved my friends and the community, loved the exploring you could do but everything else was pretty bad. I especially don't understand the admiring of the ancient EXP mountain as back then the end game was either post 3rd job at lvl 70 (if you played from way back when it was first opened to public) or lvl 200 and the new end game is at 250.

less people need to be in the FM for 2 reasons
    1. Owls are free so anyone can search the FM stalls without having to bargan/haggle with a seller (also spam in the FM causes terrible lag which I always hated)
    2. we have a new way to sell stuff without the need for a stall or going into the FM at all, it's called the Auction House, if we had this system way back when, people wouldn't have been spamming in the FM or at the Hene portal.

PaperSkinPirateIzzy
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Monster Carnival no longer exists. There is similar content, if you're looking for it.

The FM is actually fairly full, it's just that many non-paying players have taken to using the Auction House (which doesn't require a shop permit). In addition, Owls of Minerva are available for mesos. This means that it's simply not as good to spam your items as it is to simply list them. Alternatively, the most common form of advertisement for items is via super megaphone (so everyone in the world can see it).

Pink Bean can be solo'd, including by myself (my range is terrible). On the other hand, if you ever want to do Chaos Zakum, please contact me in-game along with 4 more people. I could also use your help on normal Magnus, Hell-mode Gollux, CRA, Chaos Pink Bean, and hard-mode Hilla.
    Pink Bean is a level 160 boss. While soloing can be out of the question for most players at level 160, it's a perfectly feasible option at level 200, or after you've obtained some close-to-end-game gear (enhanced Pensalir, Sengoku Treasure set, Wings of Fate, etc). Pink Bean can be solo'd because he's actually a pretty low-level boss (with very few dodge mechanics, as long as you know his reflect pattern).

Edit: This an also be a reminder that while nostalgia is fine, legacy server suggestion is not. Anyone who's thinking about it, please don't try it, thank you.
  • ArTeMaGiCaArTeMaGiCa
    Reactions: 585
    edited July 2017
    People complain about big bang? I don't understand.

I started playing Maple around late 2005. The community was huge, but everyone complained about leveling. No one really liked the steep curve, so we would often goof off and be social. It was annoying leveling because you want to use the awesome skills of second and third job (this was before 4th job came out), but couldn't because leveling took forever before the skills got good.

People created dozens of private servers specifically for leveling super fast because they hated the steep curve in the original game.
    I don't think fast leveling is the problem with this game. The attitude of Maplers has become so poor compared to what it was. It was always a fun game for exploring and goofing off. Now players have turned it into a "who's stronger" fest.

I personally still do quests, goof off, and explore. I never grind, unless the quest requires hunting monsters. I always end up encountering bots, a ton of "cc plz", or afk people. I still play the game as a social thing. I don't care about damage to the extent of hardcore players.

Also, Nexon made certain things easier because people kept complaining things were too hard.
    LilyflowerIts2Sharp4URollsBaoDovvnSthrnAngel87FirewolfslayerCatoooloooPirateIzzyOpambour
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited July 2017
    Lol people complain a lot about> *big bang did this* *big bang did that*!.
    RollsBaoDovvn
  • DaisukeHarutoDaisukeHaruto
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited July 2017
    What I miss the most about pre-big bang Maple was having enough GMs to kick the poop out of hackers, botters and other lowlifes. Now it seems the big bosses are telling the GMs "don't ban that botter, he buys hundreds of dollars of Smegas a month." I know it's hyperbole but that just feels like why when I see
    [Removed]
    on a daily basis and it's the same turd every day. Why isn't Nexon letting the GMs kill this Bass stitch?
    Lilyflower
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited July 2017
    What I miss the most about pre-big bang Maple was having enough GMs to kick the poop out of hackers, botters and other lowlifes. Now it seems the big bosses are telling the GMs "don't ban that botter, he buys hundreds of dollars of Smegas a month." I know it's hyperbole but that just feels like why when I see
    [Removed]
    on a daily basis and it's the same turd every day. Why isn't Nexon letting the GMs kill this Bass stitch?

Please don't name-and-shame and give views to that website.

If you see a user spamming over megaphones please report them in a ticket or in-game.
  • ZeroBluxZeroBlux
    Reactions: 1,100
    edited July 2017
    and just how DO you report someone who spams megaphones? witch hunt them?
  • RollsRolls
    edited July 2017
    ZeroBlux wrote: »

The only options players are presented to report anyone is just the in game report system that's unknown if it even works or live chat GMs that can't even be trusted to do anything. Can't bring it to attention because "naming and shaming" so there's essentially nothing that really can be done.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited July 2017
    ZeroBlux wrote: »

Right click on the user's name in the chat and select "Report". This works for all chat messages and megaphones. You can also access character info, request trades, and whisper via right-clicking.
    Theoretically it should work for Gachapon too, although it doesn't at the moment because reporting requires the character to either be in the map or have said something visible in chat (presumably so you can't just report someone for doing nothing). I have mentioned this issue to Nexon.

Or, you can take a screenshot in-game and submit a ticket to support here.

"Witch-hunting" is only when you publicly post the names of users on the forums/subreddit/discord; since it's not an official place to report players and nothing productive can be done, it only serves to name-and-shame and/or clog up the service with pictures of bots.
  • extromaextroma
    Reactions: 630
    edited July 2017
    The thing I miss most about pre-bigbang (Or even shortly after) was the males ninja hat and overall you could get for nx(I don't remember when it was taken out of cash shop but i'm fairly certain it was before perm nx was a thing). I'm fine with all the new stuff but I wouldnt hesitate to drop 10b just for the ninja hat, mask, overall, boots and gloves.
  • DragooooooooonDragooooooooon
    Reactions: 1,060
    edited July 2017
    Old maple was fun.

Not as fun as old maple.

pre big bang was more about partying up and having a community. Now it feels like they discourage party members(leeching is dead) and theyway how pot works its more of a pissing contest of people asking "WhaTs uR ranGE?". I mean even bosses feel dumb now they all do % damage of hp and are giant walking "bullet sponges" making mobility classes the best cause fk hp and defense theyre irrelevant.
  • DaisukeHarutoDaisukeHaruto
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited July 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

Please don't name-and-shame and give views to that website.

If you see a user spamming over megaphones please report them in a ticket or in-game.

Guess I should have said the name was randomly generated. As far as I know that player doesn't exist. But the people I slapped that fake name on is there. But I"ll be sure to mention it or use clearly made up names like HakJooGud XD
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Why Big Bang? Why is that the patch name we give whenever we wanna complain about the "good old days"?
    It can't be the patch everything apparently went to hell. Players don't just stop being friendly because suddenly everything about your world has changed, unless we are talking about a sudden zombie apocalypse, but I digress. Such results take time to develop. Big Bang added the changes, but it can't be the absolute direct cause, can it?
    Firewolfslayerfoussiremix
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited July 2017
    Xenomata wrote: »
    Why Big Bang? Why is that the patch name we give whenever we wanna complain about the "good old days"?
    It can't be the patch everything apparently went to hell. Players don't just stop being friendly because suddenly everything about your world has changed, unless we are talking about a sudden zombie apocalypse, but I digress. Such results take time to develop. Big Bang added the changes, but it can't be the absolute direct cause, can it?

During Big Bang there were three major changes:
    • User Interface Overhaul.
    • Map Reorganization which reduced Victoria Island's size the most, while some other maps were made smaller.
    • EXP Curve had been reduced per level. (This is probably the first time EXP was reduced per level)

Many people blame Potentials, but that was before Big Bang. It was the same time when Dual Blades were released.

Either way, to this day I think it was a much needed change, but maybe it could have been done differently for some of it.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited July 2017
    Theres a reason it's called big bang, games with no finish line have to evolve. There was a bigger picture pre big bang, those were the blue prints for a bigger creation.
  • RollsRolls
    edited July 2017
    Regardless, the game wouldn't even be here today if it weren't for post big bang. Even if it's not the same as before, it least it's here at all. I doubt it'd last if the state of the game stayed the way it was as well. People would get upset regardless of what's added, just that what they had changed and was lost at all.
    And this is all why I hate maple nostalgia. It's obnoxious, mostly blind and it always devolves into this bashing on the current game. And all the idiots going around with their incessant "dexless sins" doesn't help either.
    Catooolooofoussiremix