[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.233 Destiny: Remastered Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why do patches make us worry?

AlbinorockAlbinorock
Reactions: 2,095
Posts: 211
Member, Private Tester
edited July 2017 in General Chat
Every patch we get something always goes wrong. Extensions are common with this game and bugs too after a patch.
Is it because Nexon sucks terribly at doing their job?
or is the coding really that difficult for MapleStory?


What do you think?

Comments

  • SlayerJSlayerJ
    Reactions: 1,090
    Posts: 49
    Member
    edited July 2017
    For any game this old I'm sure coding becomes more and more of a hassle. I can only imagine that some people who coded things in the past, may not even work with the company in the present, which again would make things more difficult. That being said there are always really weird tiny things that the game does that they choose not to fix or let go on for too long that just makes me face palm.
  • TransformingThunderTransformingThunder
    Reactions: 1,520
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited July 2017
    Considering the Korean version doesn't have this problem I'm guessing it may be the fact that we have other implemented stuff that kms doesn't so they may have to work around it. Though nexon is more than competent to be more professional than this which is what saddens me. Then idk why I won't hear about JMS having the same problem.

    It seems that the black mage is trying to get out maple and into the real world by using the nexon maintenance because there's no way that it couldn't be any other way I could see them having so many problems. Black Mage is the true end game since day one

    OK back to real talk tho there has to be some mis-communication and laziness happening somewhere, like it's been months and Rose Carte Finale still hasn't been fixed? Simple stuff like that shouldn't remain unsolved and unfixed, and if they can't fix that adequately I don't see them fixing anything with mediocrity especially the big things
    JettLuvsUDragooooooooonSlicedTimePirateIzzy
  • DragooooooooonDragooooooooon
    Reactions: 1,060
    Posts: 32
    Member
    edited July 2017
    Albinorock wrote: »
    Every patch we get something always goes wrong. Extensions are common with this game and bugs too after a patch.
    Is it because Nexon sucks terribly at doing their job?
    or is the coding really that difficult for MapleStory?


    What do you think?
    First off, I read your comment earlier, you called this.

    Why does it make us worry? this been a repeating cycle for 5+ years.

    Seriously this is unacceptable lol every god damn time, and you even shifted the maintenance to avoid problems and still receive problems. What kind of slave wages do you pay that they don't care behind the scenes? This is a mockery at this point. They need a new staff or hardware or maybe both. They should elaborate why does this happen often. And by often I mean all the time.

    Does this happen in KMS and MSEA, does anyone know? Oh well at least we get 30 power exilers.
    AlbinorockJeroidDarkyThong246SlicedTimeShukaishiTransformingThunderWinSauceity
  • ManiaclManiacl
    Reactions: 420
    Posts: 16
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Considering the Korean version doesn't have this problem I'm guessing it may be the fact that we have other implemented stuff that kms doesn't so they may have to work around it. Though nexon is more than competent to be more professional than this which is what saddens me. Then idk why I won't hear about JMS having the same problem.

    It seems that the black mage is trying to get out maple and into the real world by using the nexon maintenance because there's no way that it couldn't be any other way I could see them having so many problems. Black Mage is the true end game since day one

    OK back to real talk tho there has to be some mis-communication and laziness happening somewhere, like it's been months and Rose Carte Finale still hasn't been fixed? Simple stuff like that shouldn't remain unsolved and unfixed, and if they can't fix that adequately I don't see them fixing anything with mediocrity especially the big things
    We're talking about the company that literally came out in a live stream and said Jett's skill "Staffall" now has no cooldown, then to just turn around and say jk it was just a bug... Not only that they seem to just be winging everything they do at least the American version of this company. I'm sorry but there is nothing professional about anything Nexon America does, but I digress point is how can you say that you rescheduled the maintenance mid maintenance and still leave the servers down the whole time. The level of incompetence in that is baffling. To top that all off they extend it even further I can't possibly facepalm any harder at that and it's not like this is a one time thing this is every patch they ever release so for once can they please show a bit of professionalism and properly prepare for stuff.
    Dragooooooooon
  • DragooooooooonDragooooooooon
    Reactions: 1,060
    Posts: 32
    Member
    edited July 2017
    Maniacl wrote: »
    Considering the Korean version doesn't have this problem I'm guessing it may be the fact that we have other implemented stuff that kms doesn't so they may have to work around it. Though nexon is more than competent to be more professional than this which is what saddens me. Then idk why I won't hear about JMS having the same problem.

    It seems that the black mage is trying to get out maple and into the real world by using the nexon maintenance because there's no way that it couldn't be any other way I could see them having so many problems. Black Mage is the true end game since day one

    OK back to real talk tho there has to be some mis-communication and laziness happening somewhere, like it's been months and Rose Carte Finale still hasn't been fixed? Simple stuff like that shouldn't remain unsolved and unfixed, and if they can't fix that adequately I don't see them fixing anything with mediocrity especially the big things
    We're talking about the company that literally came out in a live stream and said Jett's skill "Staffall" now has no cooldown, then to just turn around and say jk it was just a bug...

    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
  • ZeroBluxZeroBlux
    Reactions: 1,100
    Posts: 80
    Member
    edited July 2017
    Maniacl wrote: »
    Considering the Korean version doesn't have this problem I'm guessing it may be the fact that we have other implemented stuff that kms doesn't so they may have to work around it. Though nexon is more than competent to be more professional than this which is what saddens me. Then idk why I won't hear about JMS having the same problem.

    It seems that the black mage is trying to get out maple and into the real world by using the nexon maintenance because there's no way that it couldn't be any other way I could see them having so many problems. Black Mage is the true end game since day one

    OK back to real talk tho there has to be some mis-communication and laziness happening somewhere, like it's been months and Rose Carte Finale still hasn't been fixed? Simple stuff like that shouldn't remain unsolved and unfixed, and if they can't fix that adequately I don't see them fixing anything with mediocrity especially the big things
    you rescheduled the maintenance mid maintenance and still leave the servers down

    but the servers were up when it was postponed
  • DragooooooooonDragooooooooon
    Reactions: 1,060
    Posts: 32
    Member
    edited July 2017
    ZeroBlux wrote: »
    Maniacl wrote: »
    Considering the Korean version doesn't have this problem I'm guessing it may be the fact that we have other implemented stuff that kms doesn't so they may have to work around it. Though nexon is more than competent to be more professional than this which is what saddens me. Then idk why I won't hear about JMS having the same problem.

    It seems that the black mage is trying to get out maple and into the real world by using the nexon maintenance because there's no way that it couldn't be any other way I could see them having so many problems. Black Mage is the true end game since day one

    OK back to real talk tho there has to be some mis-communication and laziness happening somewhere, like it's been months and Rose Carte Finale still hasn't been fixed? Simple stuff like that shouldn't remain unsolved and unfixed, and if they can't fix that adequately I don't see them fixing anything with mediocrity especially the big things
    you rescheduled the maintenance mid maintenance and still leave the servers down

    but the servers were up when it was postponed

    yeah no one is denying they, however they postpone it to avoid extended maintenance because they found a "technical issue" according to a mod. So it just happens to be a double fail.
  • TransformingThunderTransformingThunder
    Reactions: 1,520
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited July 2017
    Maniacl wrote: »
    Considering the Korean version doesn't have this problem I'm guessing it may be the fact that we have other implemented stuff that kms doesn't so they may have to work around it. Though nexon is more than competent to be more professional than this which is what saddens me. Then idk why I won't hear about JMS having the same problem.

    It seems that the black mage is trying to get out maple and into the real world by using the nexon maintenance because there's no way that it couldn't be any other way I could see them having so many problems. Black Mage is the true end game since day one

    OK back to real talk tho there has to be some mis-communication and laziness happening somewhere, like it's been months and Rose Carte Finale still hasn't been fixed? Simple stuff like that shouldn't remain unsolved and unfixed, and if they can't fix that adequately I don't see them fixing anything with mediocrity especially the big things
    We're talking about the company that literally came out in a live stream and said Jett's skill "Staffall" now has no cooldown, then to just turn around and say jk it was just a bug... Not only that they seem to just be winging everything they do at least the American version of this company. I'm sorry but there is nothing professional about anything Nexon America does, but I digress point is how can you say that you rescheduled the maintenance mid maintenance and still leave the servers down the whole time. The level of incompetence in that is baffling. To top that all off they extend it even further I can't possibly facepalm any harder at that and it's not like this is a one time thing this is every patch they ever release so for once can they please show a bit of professionalism and properly prepare for stuff.

    That could of honestly could of just been someone being mis-informed at the time, I also play BNS which this is had happened in livestreams about patches as well, but again nexon was totally unprofessional about updating the playerbase about it though.

    And IDK how they could do that, other parts of nexon the company that is on different games are a lot smarter about these things though, which is why I said nexon isn't dumb, it's partly that the community here is used to this kind of treatment. Unlike BNS if the maint is 30m longer there is already compensation ready for the players unlike here where it's the normal for the maint to carry and hour later.
  • tracyhoodztracyhoodz
    Reactions: 910
    Posts: 43
    Member
    edited July 2017
    honestly i dont think after all these years, that nexon sucks at what they do. i think its more that they dont release it to a certain set of people to test the new updates before they try to patch the mainframe of the game.....sort of like a public test realm., BUT, then if you do that, you will have hackers getting a copy, and then finding ways to get around the security to run duping appz and the likes. the game is just so dam big now, that you will have delays in the start up of new content and security updates and other stuff. theres just a ton of **** that nexon has to do to get everything running the way it should and then getting their duck in order.
  • SashiSashi
    Reactions: 790
    Posts: 19
    Member
    edited July 2017
    Have you guys ever touched coding ? A tiny bit at all ?

    Sometimes everything is working fine then when you run a last test, nothing works.
    (This literally happens to me every time ..... )

    They probably have to recheck everything from start to finish every time that happens. They don't suck at what they do, things just happen.
    tracyhoodzMystrie
  • tracyhoodztracyhoodz
    Reactions: 910
    Posts: 43
    Member
    edited July 2017
    Sashi wrote: »
    Have you guys ever touched coding ? A tiny bit at all ?

    Sometimes everything is working fine then when you run a last test, nothing works.
    (This literally happens to me every time ..... )

    They probably have to recheck everything from start to finish every time that happens. They don't suck at what they do, things just happen.

    i highly doubt if 80% of the people in the game or forums and the people that becth about the delays, can even write a bat file or an exe file.lolol
    Sashi
  • SashiSashi
    Reactions: 790
    Posts: 19
    Member
    edited July 2017
    tracyhoodz wrote: »
    Sashi wrote: »
    Have you guys ever touched coding ? A tiny bit at all ?

    Sometimes everything is working fine then when you run a last test, nothing works.
    (This literally happens to me every time ..... )

    They probably have to recheck everything from start to finish every time that happens. They don't suck at what they do, things just happen.

    i highly doubt if 80% of the people in the game or forums and the people that becth about the delays, can even write a bat file or an exe file.lolol

    People complain all the time and now that I have experience in coding... boi does it suck when you get a bug..

    You could spend daysssssssssssssssssss looking for it and then find that it's only a semi-colon or something...

    Well, I doubt it's that small of a issue for Nexon but you get my point :)
    tracyhoodz
  • tracyhoodztracyhoodz
    Reactions: 910
    Posts: 43
    Member
    edited July 2017
    i gave up coding YEARS ago, was duing it back in the late 80s till about the late 90s. got fed up with it then, and, Apache svcks big time. was easy back then per-say compared to what they got nowa days.1 space or period, coma, hell even if you have a bad thought of it, it will hear you and cause faults all over itself.
  • ManiaclManiacl
    Reactions: 420
    Posts: 16
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Sashi wrote: »
    Have you guys ever touched coding ? A tiny bit at all ?

    Sometimes everything is working fine then when you run a last test, nothing works.
    (This literally happens to me every time ..... )

    They probably have to recheck everything from start to finish every time that happens. They don't suck at what they do, things just happen.

    I don't know how bad you are messing up your functions but that is not true in the slightest. If you actually knew anything about game DEV then what you said is just dumb, nothing just works fine then stops working unless you change something or rewrite a function or condition heck maybe you just had a memory leak or dead locked your code either way things don't work then just break in coding with out cause. Also if they wrote in notes on things that they "FIXED" and or changed then this issue shouldn't happen as they would be able to sift through the code easier readings notes to find where the most recent change was and go from there. Not to mention 98% of GMS code is just copy paste translate of KMS code the 2% being GMS exclusive content ofc. But this isn't an issue with coding this is an issue of communication cause clearly internal communication is non-existent. If they had better communication this wouldn't be an issue also wouldn't kill them to properly test there source code before releasing.
    SlicedTime
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    Posts: 381
    Member
    edited July 2017
    Sashi wrote: »
    They don't suck at what they do, things just happen.

    Things don't just happen 95% of the time. I don't need to be a software engineer to know that bugs suck, but I am well aware that they either get fixed in under a few hours (not counting test server) or if they take too long they get fixed the following patch, unless it's gamebreaking. But that's the problem, most maintenance prolonging bugs are gamebreaking and a multi-million dollar company shouldn't be experiencing this 52 times every year.
    Sashi wrote: »
    You could spend daysssssssssssssssssss looking for it and then find that it's only a semi-colon or something...

    if you're taking days to find a missing semi-colon, then you're doing something wrong. I've done python and some C and I know that syntax errors can be scanned in seconds/minutes and be rectified immediately. At best, you'll only need a few hours if the compiler attributes the error in another line. With a game like maplestory it will obviously take longer since it's 10gb worth of lines but definitely not 12 hours.
    SlicedTime
  • SaisSais
    Reactions: 585
    Posts: 18
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I think the way the game was coded in general is just poor, but I've only ever played GMS, so I'm not sure about the other versions. The way things trigger lag is atrocious. Simply entering the event hall, treading through the labyrinth to Gollux, having pet loot, or messages popping up on the screen like the mob kill progression for a quest should not be triggering fps drops in such a low resolution game. You could argue that the computer just needs better specs, but this is a 2D pixel art side scroller. It shouldn't be that demanding to begin with.
  • SpiritFoxGamingSpiritFoxGaming
    Reactions: 1,535
    Posts: 83
    Member
    edited July 2017
    The game is poorly Optimised is possibly one issue with it.

    I am a Developer currently working on multiple games that I'm making alone and can confirm that while creating games and fixing issues isn't as easy as people think it also isn't as hard as long as you know and care about what you are doing. If I can fix a game bigger than MapleStory and 10x smaller in file size (MS Files Size is broken...) alone from the ground up in less than 2 days then a TEAM of people at Nexon should be able to handle a smaller game. I know just as much as the next person on the Forums about what goes on at Nexon, But whatever it is it shouldn't take nearly this long for a short update.

    While I don't know how much the MMO part impacts issues I do know that even as a Multiplayer Game that shouldn't cause this many issues and take this long. The most obvious case to me is that the Nexon Team is probably full of people that know coding but just don't care about MS as a whole <<< This is the root of most issues with games that are starting up and getting bigger and fail.

    Making a game isn't only about making a game, you have to have compassion for it and want it not just *Make It*. You think anyone can make a game like Ori and have the Fan Base cry when playing it? It takes more than just making a game to make a game. Most companies fail to realize this and as it stands it seems like Nexon works on the premise of *it's just a game*. I can bet you anything that if you take a group of people that have played MS since launch until now (Like Me) that actually know coding and would care enough about MS to work on the game then we could fix almost every issues the game has in less than a month since we would actually care about seeing the game grow for the better. It is obvious that Nexon doesn't see it that way or not anymore at least. You can see moments where they try to want to fix things like (A Better Maple) then you see things like (Skill Bugs that exist for 4months).

    Just what I think about the matter. I wouldn't mind helping Nexon fix the game if they actually reached out to the community. But there is no way in hell I'm doing it alone. I am working on 2 games alone already... possibly a 3rd.
  • JulyJuly
    Reactions: 2,720
    Posts: 376
    Member
    edited July 2017
    LF>GMS&EMS migrate to KMS
  • Roni777Roni777
    Reactions: 1,180
    Posts: 256
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I have a very little knowledge about coding. But even doing a little bit of coding makes my head blows out everytime. You have to track back hundreds of pages and lines of coding. For some poeple who doesn't know how to coding and just rely on google to solve your computer problems, do not think that it is the same like when you see your computer have trouble on certain application and you google it and you find the answer and fix for it. It is not like you have just gotten a virus and you google it, install the antivirus that can clean the virus, run the cleaning up and there you solve the problem. it is also not like when you want to learn how to make Video Editing then you google it and you can in few mins knows which application can help you to edit videos and learn how to use them from tutorials available from google search. Coding is not as simple as that. Especially on a big game that has been running for more than 10 years. Sometimes it is like trying to find a needle in an Ocean. Sometimes also trouble arise because of complication. They do X update, but the real trouble / bug come because of A, B, C and D update from 3 years ago. And to find those trouble, you won't find it even if you read all of google pages for hundred of years.
  • TransformingThunderTransformingThunder
    Reactions: 1,520
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited July 2017
    Roni777 wrote: »
    I have a very little knowledge about coding. But even doing a little bit of coding makes my head blows out everytime. You have to track back hundreds of pages and lines of coding. For some poeple who doesn't know how to coding and just rely on google to solve your computer problems, do not think that it is the same like when you see your computer have trouble on certain application and you google it and you find the answer and fix for it. It is not like you have just gotten a virus and you google it, install the antivirus that can clean the virus, run the cleaning up and there you solve the problem. it is also not like when you want to learn how to make Video Editing then you google it and you can in few mins knows which application can help you to edit videos and learn how to use them from tutorials available from google search. Coding is not as simple as that. Especially on a big game that has been running for more than 10 years. Sometimes it is like trying to find a needle in an Ocean. Sometimes also trouble arise because of complication. They do X update, but the real trouble / bug come because of A, B, C and D update from 3 years ago. And to find those trouble, you won't find it even if you read all of google pages for hundred of years.

    Yes it probably would take awhile but somehow the other versions of the game don't have this issue with the same amount of coding, so then what's their excuse for more bugs and longer maintenance every single patch? It's fair to say it's become inexcusable at this point.